• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

TX Flower Gardens 7/2005

• Please log in to reply
147 replies to this topic

#31 Mitch0129

Mitch0129

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts
  • Cert Level:OW, AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:290

Posted 13 July 2005 - 09:22 PM

Kamala, you know I would admit it if I was the culprit but you are going to have to scatch me off the list. It wasn't me!!! :lmao:

Frankly, I can not believe that someone would send her or any of the lovely ladies on this board flowers and not reveal themselves. :teeth: C'mon, be a man! SHOW YOURSELF!!!

On a more serious note, I feel compelled to add some thoughts that I did not put in my original report.

Prior to this trip, I had read the reports from the trips preceding this one. I read some rather unflattering comments regarding the organization of the trips. But since I was not there on any of the trips, I took the comments at face value. I have been on enough dive trips to know that things do happen.

As I mentioned in my prior post, this was one of the best dive trips I ever went on and one of the best groups of people I have ever gone diving with. I wish I could say that about the last dive trip I went on which was a complete disaster. And I will not hesitate to put myself on a future SD.com trip provided that I can make it.
-Mitch-

#32 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 13 July 2005 - 09:23 PM

I also had a grand time!

Since I'd never met Katie (TheSassy Rabbit) in person, I wore my Single Divers T shirt on the planer to make it easy for her to recognize me when she picked me up at the airport. What I didn't know is she'd picked Gar (Blueblood) up at the airport the day before and sent him in to collect me at baggage claim. I had no soon collected my bag and we were cruising through Houston. Katie was a wonderful hostess and entertained both Gar and me until it was time to head out. I did dose (1½ hours sleep the night before) a tad while watching weather reports on hurricane Dennis. Things were looking promising, but guarded for the trip. After a great Mexican lunch, we headed out to meet up with zendiver and Marvel.
We tossed our gear in the back of ZD's truck, exchanged hugs all around and talked in the parking lot while we all tried to talk Katie into taking one of the two empty slots. Eventually, we recognized we weren't going to be successful and hugged her goodbye.

Reaching Freeport, we stopped by the boat and met our captains for the weekend - Bruce (day captain) and Al (night captain). The rest of the crew had yet to arrive. After getting to know these two great guys, we headed over to the designated meeting spot to find a long table already set up for our group.
At this point, I met many people for the first time, including two lovely ladies who did not accompany us into the Gulf, but who contributed greatly to our enjoyment of the trip Sandy (ScubaPunk) and Que (SeaUrchin). Que was scheduled to go on the trip, but at the last minute had to work and had to back out. As mentioned earlier, Mitch wasn't scheduled to go, but was talked into taking Que's spot, literally, at the last minute. At this point, we were all concerned about Karl (scubafanatic). We were unable to reach him by phone and he was late. Not only were we afraid he was going to miss the boat, but he was bringing some steel 120's for ZenDiver, Kamala (WreckWench), John (DustbowlDiver) and himself along with a steel 85 for Linda (BlueDolphin). They may have been slightly more worried than the rest of us.

The final two slots were filled by Phyllis (Stingray) and Carla (or is that Karla? who is joining us as SeaHuntress). Mitch arrived after a record round trip from Freeport to Houston.

We gathered in the dining salon to listen to a general briefing on the boat and the boat's proceedures, fill out paperwork and get assigned our numbers. We were just finishing up when Karl arrived.

I don't know what everyone else did after this point, I went to sleep.

Saturday morning saw us moored at the West Bank of the Flower Gardens. Gar & I started our first dive at 7:00 AM sharp. I was quite surprised at the lush coral growth so far north in the Gulf. I was also surprised at the scores of very large nesting Ocean Triggerfish. There was at least one in each sand patch. As the dive progressed, temptation got the best of me and I introduced Mandi (landlocked) to the world of DPV diving. Mandi's role was DPV. At one point she was towing me, while Gar hitched a ride on my tank and Marvel was riding Gar. Mandi may look like a dive princess, but that girl is a brute! She towed three of us and didn't even notice. You would think her buddy (Phyllis AKA Stingray) would tell her, but alas, she did not.

After breakfast, on the second dive, I noticed Black Durgeons in addition to the critters from the first dive (Barracuda, Long Spined Urchins, Moray Eels, Bermuda Chub, etc.)

In the afternoon, we moved over to the East Bank where it was slightly shallower and flatter. Other than that, the two sites were pretty similar. Gar & I watched a beautiful Tiger Grouper getting a gill cleaning. We also spotted a huge Dog Snapper and a Long Snout Butterflyfish.

For our fourth dive of the day, Gar and I traded fins (my air consumption sucked on this dive, but to be fair, so did Gar's). He'd been wanting to try Jets, so we gave it a try. We explored a cavern and saw a Spotted Eagle Ray.

On the night dive, Gar learned not to do everything he sees me do. I pet unchins. I had petted a few Long Spined Urchins, then noticed Gar trying his hand. At first, I asked if he were crazy, then I told him if he's going to pet urchins, it should be like I do it - no gloves. He promtly stabbed his finger.

In the next installement - the last dive on the East Bank, the dive on the rig and the first two dives on Stetson Bank.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#33 Mitch0129

Mitch0129

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts

Posted 13 July 2005 - 09:44 PM

Mitch arrived after a record round trip from Freeport to Houston.

Walter, to call it a record round trip might be the understatement of the year! According to Mapquest, it should have taken me 3 hours, 8 minutes just to drive the roughly 140-mile round trip, not counting the 15-30 minutes to pack.

I made the total trip in 2 hours, 45 minutes! :teeth:
-Mitch-

#34 landlocked

landlocked

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:200

Posted 14 July 2005 - 06:20 AM

As I mentioned in my prior post, this was one of the best dive trips I ever went on and one of the best groups of people I have ever gone diving with.

You got that right!! This was my second SD trip and they were both organized flawlessly and the people (crew and SD group) were just the best people I've ever had the pleasure to spend time with.

I've had a horrible time readjusting to corporate mundania without being able to see those beautiful stars, j.dusty damselfish, and good friends. :dltears: But I know another trip is just around the corner and hopefully some more great memories will be created on every trip. I'm not sure Kamala will let Phyllis, Carla, and me together on another trip, but if she does you know we'll bring down the house :teeth:

You would think her buddy (Phyllis AKA Stingray) would tell her, but alas, she did not.

Let's just clarify that, Phyllis was not my buddy at the time and you know she'd never let that happen. That was a group dive, in which I was trying to acclimate myself to being back in the water. Silly me, I thought you were taking care of me, not making fun of me. I honestly can't think of what payback will be, but I think I have plenty of time to come up with something...so be forwarned. Admittedly, it's pretty funny to watch the video.

Linda, I hope you made it back safe and sound. I had just a minor rain delay in Birmingham but made it home late the same evening. Into the Blue - thank you so much for lunch and the ride to the airport!!

:dltears: I miss every one of you now (yes, Walter, even you) and just can't wait to get back in the water with you all.

mandi

#35 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts

Posted 14 July 2005 - 06:31 AM

You were diving without a buddy? Shame on you!

DSSW,

WWW™

#36 MNJoe

MNJoe

"Charlie"

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:450

Posted 14 July 2005 - 06:33 AM

I've had a horrible time readjusting to corporate mundania

My job may not be so corporate, but I can relate about the horrible time readjusting. I am still so stoked up and actually giddy from this trip that I cannot get anything accomplished.

Keith

"just your average Joe from Minnesota, also known as Keith"

#37 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 14 July 2005 - 06:47 AM

You got that right!! This was my second SD trip and they were both organized flawlessly and the people (crew and SD group) were just the best people I've ever had the pleasure to spend time with.

:unsure: my dear! But every trip no matter how wonderful has a moment or two...or even more...that can go 'south' on you if people choose to let that happen. We started out a bit rough on this one worrying about the weather...and where people were going to stay and who was going to pick them up at the airport...and then some people would not have felt good/right about waiting for several of our members to join us who were running late...and I could go on...but you all know what I'm talking about...but when the group WANTS to have a good experinece and preparation meets that positive experience expectation...then you have the recipie for a great successful trip! :P

SDer's as normal rule are the most awesome group of people I've met anywhere! As ZD said earlier...we've created such a unique community where people not on the trip come forth to volunteer...er correction...'insist on helping in some way with the trip so that they can meet everyone and to ensure that we have the ability to keep everyone together as a group'. Most trips to the FG are set up that you get yourself to the boat on your own by departure time. This would entail arriving at the airport, renting a car, making your own hotel arrangements, etc. The reason it is this way is that it is too much work and expense to offer what SD has offered...coordinating rides for people, arrival times, airport pickups, hotel options, not one but two happy hours, allowing locals to join us and the list goes on. So how does SD do it? Well in the early days, I was able to offer these extra amenities so that we could be a 'group' even when we came from different parts of the world to the same destination even on different days. But now that we've grown to being able to offer 1-2 major dive trips a month...I can no longer offer these extra amenities unless other members offer to help. But unlike most businesses...members would not usually offer to help to this extent. So we truly are a unique entity...part business...part club...part community...and a whole lot of 'family'!!!

I am proud to be a part of this great group of people who are usually the 3rd or 5th wheel...or travel alone...or struggle to find a buddy who's diving and rooming and travel schedules are compatible...who now get to travel together as a group...have fun as a group...and are VERY special in my mind as a group! :-D You make all the work VERY worth it! :-D

I'm not sure Kamala will let Phyllis, Carla, and me together on another trip, but if she does you know we'll bring down the house 

Yep...no worries there...next time kick my butt outta bed so I can join in the fun!!! Sleep...Sleep...who needs any stinkin sleep???? :D

That was a group dive, in which I was trying to acclimate myself to being back in the water. Silly me, I thought you were taking care of me, not making fun of me. I honestly can't think of what payback will be, but I think I have plenty of time to come up with something...so be forwarned. Admittedly, it's pretty funny to watch the video.

It takes a pretty secure person to laugh at themselves in a similar situation :o and of course Walter cheats by using a rope whereby you rarely feel any pressure difference. Had he used you as a DPV by physically holding onto your tank with his hand....then most likely you would have noticed him and the others there...doing it without a rope or line takes more skill on his part to be so neutral in the water that you would not feel him!

Ok...I'm ready to get wet again...too much work backed up upon my return! Thanks to everyone for such a great trip...great experience and for making our first but not last...trip to the Texas Flower Gardens a tremendous success!!!

Oh yes...and thanks to the wonderful crew of the Sea Searcher for putting up with us...somehow we are charmed where they are concerned! :P

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#38 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts

Posted 14 July 2005 - 07:01 AM

Walter cheats by using a rope whereby you rarely feel any pressure difference. Had he used you as a DPV by physically holding onto your tank with his hand....then most likely you would have noticed him and the others there...doing it without a rope or line takes more skill on his part to be so neutral in the water that you would not feel him!

Actually, I only used the buddy line after she'd already towed me a bit without it. I usually hitch rides without the line. It's pretty rare for a diver to notice me even without the line. Mandi, you should always dive with a designated buddy.

DSSW,

WWW™

#39 dustbowl diver

dustbowl diver

"Charlie"

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,028 posts
  • Logged Dives:139

Posted 14 July 2005 - 07:54 AM

Due to very quick out of state travel plans to the PNW- I am as usual a day late and a dollar short in posting on this thread!!

As had been said by all of the great SD'ers on this trip-truly an awesome expierence with a great crew and even better dive buddies!!!!!!!! Truly one of the best pasrts of this trip was the making of new friends from all over the great US :unsure: !!!

Hats of to the Wench for putting this trip together and to all who prayed the 'cane away from us.

And a very special thank you to Sassy Rabbit, Scuba Punk, and Sea Urchin for the assistance with our out of state guests and for bringing a warm smile from shore when we arrived home!!!!!!!!!

:-D

DBD
"Yesterday's gone, tomorrow never knows, today will never be the same again!"-Jibe

#40 zendiver

zendiver

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,082 posts
  • Cert Level:AI
  • Logged Dives:1011

Posted 14 July 2005 - 10:36 AM

Just a reminder to all of those that were on the Flower Gardens trip. Seeing as how we ALL agree that it was probably one of the best trips we have ever been on, it would really be appreciated if you let the owners and others that plan on taking out the Sea Searcher ll what you thought by signing their Guest Book.
[color=blue]Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body;
But rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--"WOW--What a ride!"

#41 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts

Posted 14 July 2005 - 10:57 AM

Great idea, ZD!

DSSW,

WWW™

#42 Mitch0129

Mitch0129

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts

Posted 14 July 2005 - 11:21 AM

:birthday: my dear! But every trip no matter how wonderful has a moment or two...or even more...that can go 'south' on you if people choose to let that happen. We started out a bit rough on this one worrying about the weather...and where people were going to stay and who was going to pick them up at the airport...and then some people would not have felt good/right about waiting for several of our members to join us who were running late...and I could go on...but you all know what I'm talking about...but when the group WANTS to have a good experinece and preparation meets that positive experience expectation...then you have the recipie for a great successful trip! :respect:

Kamala, this was one of the reasons why I was hesitant to go at first when asked. I knew it would take me at least three hours to go back home, pack, and then get back to the boat and I did not want to hold up the the trip. When that and another issue was resolved and everyone who was at the restaurant all urged me to come on the trip, I knew I could not say no.
-Mitch-

#43 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 14 July 2005 - 11:30 AM

Just a reminder to all of those that were on the Flower Gardens trip. Seeing as how we ALL agree that it was probably one of the best trips we have ever been on, it would really be appreciated if you let the owners and others that plan on taking out the Sea Searcher ll what you thought by signing their Guest Book.

Cool idea!!!

and don't forget to say you are with SingleDivers.com! Maybe some other great new future members will find us because of your posts! :wakawaka:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#44 landlocked

landlocked

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts
  • Logged Dives:200

Posted 14 July 2005 - 12:17 PM

Walter -

Actually, I only used the buddy line after she'd already towed me a bit without it. I usually hitch rides without the line. It's pretty rare for a diver to notice me even without the line.

You know I'm far to blonde to have ever noticed :wakawaka: And truly, you're welcome to catch a ride any time.

Mitch -

I knew it would take me at least three hours to go back home, pack, and then get back to the boat and I did not want to hold up the the trip. When that and another issue was resolved and everyone who was at the restaurant all urged me to come on the trip, I knew I could not say no.

And we are SO glad you did join us.

Kamala -

...but when the group WANTS to have a good experinece and preparation meets that positive experience expectation...then you have the recipie for a great successful trip!

Yes, you are right. And that's exactly where I'll always be (wanting to have a positive experience). Quite honestly, I was very impressed that Que, Sandy, and Katie were so willing to drive us all over creation. I had expected to rent a car and drive and that was just so nice of them to take care of us. Thank you guys so much!

mandi

#45 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts

Posted 14 July 2005 - 10:02 PM

On Sunday morning, we got a later start, hitting the water at 8:02 AM at the East Bank, This was mostly a wake up dive, but I did enjoy seeing another Long Snout Butterflyfish Gar was kind enough to point out.

We then moved to the oil rig for the second dive. Captain Al told us sharks are always spotted on this site. Gar and I were the first two in the water and shortly after we started pulling down the line, a 4 ft Silky Shark cruised by just on the other side of the line. After a couple passes, he moved down the line and disappeared into the rig right at the attachment point. As we continued down he reappreared and cruised the line one more time. I looked back just before going into the rig, but no other divers had joined us in the water yet. We were about 8 minutes into the dive when ZD & Marvel joined us. We had planned to make this dive as a foursome. Once they arrived, we began our tour of the rig. ZD captured two more Silkys cruising past us just outside the rig on video. I never saw them. I did see a very large Red Snapper inside the rig and in the shallow areas, I saw lots of juveniles. It was a fun dive indeed.

During our 4 hour surface interval, we had lunch and traveled to Stetson Bank where I buddied with ZD for one dive. Our first dive on Stetson Bank was the 200th dive for both Marvel and Gar, so they opted to buddy up for the dive. ZD and I stayed with them and enjoyed their accomplishment. It was fun to watch them dance during the dive. As previously mentioned, the bottom at Stetson Bank was unusual. It looked more like the Grand Canyon than anything else I've ever seen. Enjoyable dive!

Our night dive was limited in scope. Most of the group opted to skip this one, but Kevin (KevinPO), Keith (MNJoe), John (dustbowl diver), Tom (tdtexas), Karl (scubafanatic), ZD and I braved the night and enjoyed the dive, although only John and I saw the big Loggerhead.

That evening was interesting. Gar & Marvel were given Sea Searcher II shirts in honor of their milestone, someone cranked up a chain saw, we enjoyed the stars, a few (maybe a few more than a few?) were tossed back. Most of us got to sleep way too late that evening..........

DSSW,

WWW™

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users