• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

swapping spit evolves to serious discussion!!

• Please log in to reply
97 replies to this topic

#16 zendiver

zendiver

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,082 posts
  • Cert Level:AI
  • Logged Dives:1011

Posted 02 May 2004 - 04:11 PM

I agree ChinaCat....I have seen quite a few times in my diving career, and especially seeing as how I work on the boats out in the Gulf, the amount of DiveMasters (PADI), DiveCons (SSI), and for that matter Instructors that barely have 100 dives.

I was buddied up with this guy one time on a trip and learned a valuable lesson. Don't just ask about their certifications or how many dives they have. I did ask this guy those two questions and felt comfortable diving with him until we actually got in the water for the dive. He was a DM and had over 150 dives, BUT our dive lasted less than 20 minutes and he was out of air. Long story short: I asked him if everything was alright, did you have equipment failure...etc. He replied, "NO, this was his FIRST salt-water dive."

-ZD
[color=blue]Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body;
But rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--"WOW--What a ride!"

#17 Diverbrian

Diverbrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI DiveCon/IANTD Normoxic Trimix.....
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 02 May 2004 - 04:45 PM

I agree ChinaCat....I have seen quite a few times in my diving career, and especially seeing as how I work on the boats out in the Gulf, the amount of DiveMasters (PADI), DiveCons (SSI), and for that matter Instructors that barely have 100 dives.

I was buddied up with this guy one time on a trip and learned a valuable lesson. Don't just ask about their certifications or how many dives they have. I did ask this guy those two questions and felt comfortable diving with him until we actually got in the water for the dive. He was a DM and had over 150 dives, BUT our dive lasted less than 20 minutes and he was out of air. Long story short: I asked him if everything was alright, did you have equipment failure...etc. He replied, "NO, this was his FIRST salt-water dive."

-ZD

It's very possible to run into a difference in conditions. There are several DM's, DC's up here that may not have the funds for salt water diving and be perfectly fine in the cold water of the Great Lakes. I nearly fit that profile myself. I have done exactly two salt-water trips and won't see salt again until Thanksgiving.

Another thing to watch out for is someone that may have done their 1000 dives in a quarry looking at classes or fooling around. It's possible. Then, you have someone not particularly up to "boat etiquette". I had over a 100 dives in before I did my first drift dive on Florida reefs. I had always had to find the line, but never thought about a flag when jumping off a boat before that, LOL!

The bottom line is experience and experience in the type of diving that you are about to do. Bottom-line experience should be enough to show someone their limits. Experience in the specific type of diving adds a comfort level which leads to better performance in the water.
A person should be judged in this life not by the mistakes that they make nor by the number of them. Rather they are to be judged by their recovery from them.

#18 triggerfish

triggerfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,712 posts
  • Cert Level:goddess.
  • Logged Dives:never enough

Posted 02 May 2004 - 05:10 PM

i agree with everyone here. flashing a card means nothing. i know quite a few people who just run straight through from OW to instructor with the minimum amount of dives. and i've been on boats where the "experienced" DM is a total F-up who laughs if a situation gets ugly (i once told this particular DM to call the dive cuz of all the problems other people were having....and he had no idea that there even was a problem...it turned me off to lake michigan diving...).

i stay far away from these people....but unfortunately, the caregiver in me kicks in and i find myself keeping an eye on "bell-ringers" underwater if i think the DM has his head up his butt.

#19 Diverbrian

Diverbrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 02 May 2004 - 05:54 PM

I like this trend. How long can we keep these topics serious? :cool2:
A person should be judged in this life not by the mistakes that they make nor by the number of them. Rather they are to be judged by their recovery from them.

#20 triggerfish

triggerfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 02 May 2004 - 06:26 PM

I like this trend.  How long can we keep these topics serious?  :cool2:

12 seconds, max.

but i can't think of any sexual inuendo to add right at the moment.

#21 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 02 May 2004 - 07:23 PM

When I saw that Trigger was the last poster on the top two sex topics, I expected the "worst (best?)" I was (un)pleasantly surprised to find she has maintained her excellent restraint. What meds are you on TF? I'm finding it increasingly difficult to remain serious.

Had a chance to dive with Jamie (Jextract) today. Watch out ladies, he's a lady killer! And I don't mean due to his handsome looks. Just teasing, he's a nice guy. I had a chance to take him and his buddy to the wreck of the Sujac on our dive (and don't worry mods, there's nothing to "penetrate" there).

Chalk up another giant kelpfish nest. The poor male didn't select very well as it is in an exposed site. Only attracted one lady friend to it while I watched. Both fish acclimated well to my presence and allowed me to gently stroke their bodies to reassure them.

Dr. Bill

#22 triggerfish

triggerfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 02 May 2004 - 08:03 PM

When I saw that Trigger was the last poster on the top two sex topics, I expected the "worst (best?)" I was (un)pleasantly surprised to find she has maintained her excellent restraint. What meds are you on TF? I'm finding it increasingly difficult to remain serious.
Dr. Bill

hmmm....i'm coming down and you're getting wound up. i'll work harder not to disappoint anyone.

as far as meds....half the people in my head are on zoloft. the other 6 like depakote.

but then there is Magda the Russian Wrestler.

much voo-man to be feared.

#23 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts

Posted 02 May 2004 - 08:25 PM

Heh, heh, heh. TF- do you have to buy different equipment for each of your multiple personalities?

Dr. B.

#24 mischievous

mischievous

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,304 posts
  • Cert Level:0
  • Logged Dives:0

Posted 02 May 2004 - 08:46 PM

i'm impressed guys...and frightened at the same time! start a topic with sex in the title and it meanders into something serious! :lmao:

#25 Diverbrian

Diverbrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts

Posted 02 May 2004 - 08:55 PM

i'm impressed guys...and frightened at the same time! start a topic with sex in the title and it meanders into something serious! :lmao:

I mentioned to Walter in another thread that it would start happening. We are all, first and foremost, divers. When you get divers together, eventually, they start to talk about diving.

#26 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts

Posted 02 May 2004 - 09:46 PM

Ah, but 'Chie... start with sex and something really serious might evolve, like love. Start with love and... watch out! Actually I'm one of those who believes that love evolves over time. Don't believe in it at first sight.

Seriously!

Dr. B.

#27 jextract

jextract

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor, Divemaster, Nitrox, Rescue, Wreck, ...
  • Logged Dives:120ish

Posted 02 May 2004 - 10:20 PM

Had a chance to dive with Jamie (Jextract) today. Watch out ladies, he's a lady killer! And I don't mean due to his handsome looks. Just teasing, he's a nice guy. I had a chance to take him and his buddy to the wreck of the Sujac on our dive (and don't worry mods, there's nothing to "penetrate" there).

Chalk up another giant kelpfish nest. The poor male didn't select very well as it is in an exposed site. Only attracted one lady friend to it while I watched. Both fish acclimated well to my presence and allowed me to gently stroke their bodies to reassure them.

Dr. Bill

Thanks for the nice words, Bill, but you're blowin' my image here! Thanks again for a great time.

As an aside, I just hope paragraphs two and three weren't related! :lmao:
"Because I accept the definition, does not mean I accept the defined." -- ScubaHawk
"Love is blind but lust likes lacy panties" -- SanDiegoCarol
"If you're gonna be dumb, you'd better be tough." -- Phillip Manor
"If I know the answer I'll tell you the answer, and if I don't I'll just respond cleverly." -- Donald Rumsfeld

#28 Coo's Toe

Coo's Toe

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts
  • Cert Level: DIR-F

Posted 02 May 2004 - 11:06 PM

CT, l was there too, and won nothing. lt was for me the first dive since breaking my ankle and l had set it as a goal to dive. l agree it was a madhouse underwater, l had told some friends it was like a bluelight special at K-mart. l was pushed, kicked, flailed and ran into. Vis was all of 6". The scariest thing l had heard about was a guy using his dive knife as a pick to swim against the current! l'm glad to have got the chance to dive, and since l didn't have to cut the welded boot of my drysuit, it was a success, but l will not attend this or any similar event again. Too many diver in such a small area is not only cruel to the critters, but is very dangerous as well.

Too funny! I saw the TLSea booth, and thought I'd head over to see if you were around. I asked the guy at the booth if he had a divemaster named "Kevin Poe"? He said no. I asked if there were ant Kevin's that worked for them, and he said, "Well, maybe you mean the Kevin over there... the one that broke his leg?" Well, stupid me, I didn't think it was you, and never came over to say hello. Now you tell me about the ankle!!!

Anyway... glad you had the chance to dive. I'm glad I'm not the only one who walked away from the abused dive site promising never to do this sort of thing again.

I'm planning on meeting Anna ( Stubby Squid ) at Alki next Saturday to do some shakeout dives. She'll be getting back in the water after a hiatus, and I'm switching back to a single tank rig and wetsuit due to a ripped neckseal, so we'll be doing some relaxed, easy dives. Might be a good chance to meet up with you too, if you feel like joining us. I'll PM you with details on Thursday, after I'm back from L.A.

#29 Coo's Toe

Coo's Toe

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts
  • Cert Level: DIR-F

Posted 02 May 2004 - 11:20 PM

Another thing is experience over certification. I have a friend who was diving with his daughter. He has been diving for over 25 years and has over 1000 dives but never went past OW. His daughter has 11 dives and she has her AOW. The dive specified Advanced divers only. They were gonna let his daughter go but not him. He talked with them and they finally came around and let him go but then had second thoughts about his daughter. With a lot of agencys you can go right from your OW to AOW but are you really an advanced diver? I think not. Experience is where you become an advanced diver.

I've actually considered getting an AOW cert at some point for this very reason. I did manage to take the rescue class without taking AOW first, because the instructor had dived with me before, and had always assumed I must be an "advanced" diver.

I have dived with several instructors that I was worried about their ability to make it through the dive without problems. Dr. Bill's example is hardly the only one out there. Sad but true.

#30 triggerfish

triggerfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,712 posts

Posted 03 May 2004 - 05:42 AM

Heh, heh, heh. TF- do you have to buy different equipment for each of your multiple personalities?

Dr. B.

no, thank god. at least we all agree about THAT!

no we don't....i told you i want a rebreather!!!!!!!

HEEYYYYY, what about ME????? you know i need a DRYSUIT!!! you guys always forget about ME!!!!!!!!

'scuse me while i settle this........
(sound of smacking.....)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users