• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

HOT Cozy Nites in Cozumel 7/22-7/29 2005

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#1 sun50

sun50

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts
  • Cert Level:advanced, nitrox
  • Logged Dives:95

Posted 30 July 2005 - 08:04 AM

Morning All;
Most of us are back from a great week in Cozumel. Everything ran smooth, the water was warm, lot's of sea life, great DM for the week, and an awesome video.
Kamala had it all put together perfectly. They even managed to get the A/C running for us on Friday night!
More later from all, but just something to think about:
Smoking Gun does not like whales anymore.
Sun50

Photo Gallery of all the fun:

Hey gang...you can post your pics in the gallery set up for this trip by clicking here!

#2 dustbowl diver

dustbowl diver

"Charlie"

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,028 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:139

Posted 30 July 2005 - 08:20 AM

Ah yes, Cozumel in July!! Yes, you could see that they were hit hard by Emily. Many downed trees and Palms around the airport, the main road and around the Casa Del Marr property. Once we checked in, Wreckwench (Kamala) attended to paperwork for the other guests and her roomie SeaUrchin (Que) hung out someplace. Couldn't wait to hit the water, so Sun50 (Doug) and I did a quick shallow shore dive, now called glad Welcome to Cozumel. Surprised to see a very active marine life with all of the snorkelers coming and going every 20 minutes-there's a racket for you!!

That afternoon, NCMasterdiver (Jerry) joined the group and we had some dinner, drinks, and commraderie before heading oof for some winks before our scheduled morning boat dives.

We were diving with Del Marr Aquatics-a great dive operation and crew (Manuel the captain, Miguel the mate, and Rene the very best of the best divemaster). Since we did a variety of sights, I'll list them out for you here:

Saturday- Palancar Horseshoe, Paso Del Cedral, Las Palmas, Paradise

Sunday- Palancar Bricks, Punta Dalila (we were joined by smokingunn (Eric) and scubaman (Dennis). Did a shore dive we named Que shore dive

Monday- Columbia, Yucab, Tormentos, Paradise (we were joined by sfret (Jim) and Tolly (George)

Tuesday- Palancar Caves, San Francisco Reef, Santa Rosa Wall, Punta Tunich, Brandon night shore dive

Wednesday- Columbia Deep, Dalila/Cedral Pass, Cedar Wall, Chankanab, Airplane night shore dive

Thursday- Tormentos, Paradise, Doug's 50th dive shore dive.

What did we see-lots of turtles, nurse sharks, large grouper, giant parrot fish, lobster, crabs, stone fish, rockfish, splendid toadfish, seahorse, drum fish, rays-1 eating a small mollusk of some kind, eels, barracuda, flounder actually eating a small fish, an octopuss on our Brandon night dive, and a host of things I can't name.

How were the the reefs? All of the reefs were in pretty good shape, some suffered some breakage and lots of sand coverage toward the south-others toward the middle part appeared ok.

How was the visibilty?? Not the normal Cozumel 150' or greater as one would expect, but it was good in places and improving and better yet in others.

Overall-just a great trip with many new friends who were willing to just go with the flow, isn't that what its all about?? Anyway, as you might guess, I am Ironman, logging 25 dives for the week and the Wench took me deep, real deep, hit 113' to set a new personal best. Next time, I'm headed to Devils Throat!!

A very happy yet sad,

Dustbowl Diver

Edited by dustbowl diver, 30 July 2005 - 10:43 AM.

"Yesterday's gone, tomorrow never knows, today will never be the same again!"-Jibe

#3 TheSassyRabbit

TheSassyRabbit

I spend too much time on line

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,044 posts
  • Cert Level:Divemaster/Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:>750

Posted 30 July 2005 - 11:03 AM

Thanks for the list of places that you dove! Of the dives you did, which ones were "wow" and which ones were "okay/good/average"? I'll be there in a few weeks and am looking forward to taking cliff notes with me :-)

Somehow deep diving in a place called "Devil's Throat" just invokes all kinds of smutty images for me.

Wow - 9 of you. And I thought the trip was closed at 8. Hhmmm.... interesting but nice sized group.

Edited by TheSassyRabbit, 30 July 2005 - 11:04 AM.

#4 sun50

sun50

• PipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 30 July 2005 - 11:22 AM

Wow dives:
I guess IMHO, I would have to say Palancar Horseshoe, and Columbia, but they all were great dives. The most fun was starting on Delila then continuing the draft to Cedral Pass. It was the fastest current of the week, and had lot's to see. We flew (literally) right over a nurse shark and a grouper going after the same meal.
It's a fantastic second or afternoon dive.
Enjoy

#5 dustbowl diver

dustbowl diver

"Charlie"

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,028 posts

Posted 30 July 2005 - 11:43 AM

Thanks for the list of places that you dove! Of the dives you did, which ones were "wow" and which ones were "okay/good/average"? I'll be there in a few weeks and am looking forward to taking cliff notes with me :-)

Somehow deep diving in a place called "Devil's Throat" just invokes all kinds of smutty images for me.

Wow - 9 of you. And I thought the trip was closed at 8. Hhmmm.... interesting but nice sized group.

SassyRabbit,

Where to start with the fav's. PM me and I can give you a rundown from my log book. Also, look for a posting of the video we had shot, very cool!! Perhaps some other will weigh in once they all safely return home!!!!!

DBD
"Yesterday's gone, tomorrow never knows, today will never be the same again!"-Jibe

#6 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts
  • Board Status:thinkin' about diving
  • Cert Level:DM; TDI Adv Nitrox and Deco Procedures
  • Logged Dives:1200 ish

Posted 30 July 2005 - 04:20 PM

Palancar Caves, Columbia Caves and Punta Sur are my favorites

#7 Starfish Sandy

Starfish Sandy

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts
  • Cert Level:aow, nitrox
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 30 July 2005 - 04:25 PM

Pictures???
Known puker

#8 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,487 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 30 July 2005 - 05:49 PM

Doug has pictures and I think George has some as well! Ahem...guys! We are waiting!!! LOL!!! -ww

p.s. I almost forgot some of the awards!!!

John aka DBD most CERTAINLY has gotten the Ironman award doing more dives than ANYONE! (I have been replaced as the most hardcore diver on the trip...and THEN some!!! I think he beat me soundly by 5+ dives!) :P

Doug aka Sun50 got the '50' award...for getting to his 50th dive on this trip...despite a full day of lost dives due to ear problems and some green liquid issues...(I can't recall the concoction but I think he was drinking it and it certainly did not allow him to dive!!!) :teeth:

Z aka Dennis aka ScubaMan got the "ZZZZ's" award...for being so relaxed in the water you had to see if he was sleeping or not!

Que aka Sea Urchin got the "Transition Diver Award"...she dove like a pro and was so awesome in the water I had to remind her that we eventually had to get out well after the first hour had elapsed!

Eric aka SmokingGunn got the "I shot the Shamu...but I did not shoot Dennis nor the other divers!" (sung to the best "I shot the sherrif...but I did not shoot the deputy" you can muster!) I will say this for Eric...if his eye looked bad...you should of seen the whale!!!

And speaking of whales...guess what we found out...there are more whale shark sightings off the Southern Tip of the Mainland during July and August along with dolphins and mantas! We were going to go and see them on this trip but the reports back said they had moved offshore too far to reach due to the hurricanes. BUT WE WILL PLAN A TRIP NEXT JULY OR AUG TO SEE THEM!!!

Jim aka SFRET got the 'fart in a hailstorm award'...I think that one is self explanitory when you see him dive! Or perhaps we could call it the 'ping pong' award???? :unsure:

Jerry aka NCDiveMaster got the "Marketing" award...ahem...and boy did he recruit some wonderful new women for the site....LOTS OF THEM!!! Way to go Jerrmeister!!!

And George aka Tolly got the "Best Invisible Buddy" award...in a sharing air drill...this was NOT a real emergency it was merely a drill...how did we know...well no EBS came across the screen...er...anyway...George did a share air drill on the resident 'spare gas diver' and was so perfectly neutrally bouyant that the spare gas diver aka me did not know he was there borrowing my octo until one of the photographers gave it away! He was able to hover so closely that had they not given his presence away...I would have never known he was there...NO WONDER my air consumption was low on that dive! :idea:

Ah yes...what a great trip indeed!!! -ww

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#9 sun50

sun50

• PipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 30 July 2005 - 06:00 PM

OK, here's a couple of pictures

Attached Images

• post_84_1122768374.jpg

#10 sun50

sun50

• PipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts

Posted 30 July 2005 - 06:02 PM

The whale only won this round!

Attached Images

• post_84_1122768482.jpg

#11 dustbowl diver

dustbowl diver

"Charlie"

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,028 posts

Posted 30 July 2005 - 06:12 PM

Doug has pictures and I think George has some as well! Ahem...guys! We are waiting!!! LOL!!! -ww

p.s. I almost forgot some of the awards!!!

John aka DBD most CERTAINLY has gotten the Ironman award doing more dives than ANYONE! (I have been replaced as the most hardcore diver on the trip...and THEN some!!! I think he beat me soundly by 5+ dives!) :o

Doug aka Sun50 got the '50' award...for getting to his 50th dive on this trip...despite a full day of lost dives due to ear problems and some green liquid issues...(I can't recall the concoction but I think he was drinking it and it certainly did not allow him to dive!!!) :teeth:

Z aka Dennis aka ScubaMan got the "ZZZZ's" award...for being so relaxed in the water you had to see if he was sleeping or not!

Que aka Sea Urchin got the "Transition Diver Award"...she dove like a pro and was so awesome in the water I had to remind her that we eventually had to get out well after the first hour had elapsed!

Eric aka SmokingGunn got the "I shot the Shamu...but I did not shoot Dennis nor the other divers!" (sung to the best "I shot the sherrif...but I did not shoot the deputy" you can muster!) I will say this for Eric...if his eye looked bad...you should of seen the whale!!!

And speaking of whales...guess what we found out...there are more whale shark sightings off the Southern Tip of the Mainland during July and August along with dolphins and mantas! We were going to go and see them on this trip but the reports back said they had moved offshore too far to reach due to the hurricanes. BUT WE WILL PLAN A TRIP NEXT JULY OR AUG TO SEE THEM!!!

Jim aka SFRET got the 'fart in a hailstorm award'...I think that one is self explanitory when you see him dive! Or perhaps we could call it the 'ping pong' award???? :unsure:

Jerry aka NCDiveMaster got the "Marketing" award...ahem...and boy did he recruit some wonderful new women for the site....LOTS OF THEM!!! Way to go Jerrmeister!!!

And George aka Tolly got the "Best Invisible Buddy" award...in a sharing air drill...this was NOT a real emergency it was merely a drill...how did we know...well no EBS came across the screen...er...anyway...George did a share air drill on the resident 'spare gas diver' and was so perfectly neutrally bouyant that the spare gas diver aka me did not know he was there borrowing my octo until one of the photographers gave it away! He was able to hover so closely that had they not given his presence away...I would have never known he was there...NO WONDER my air consumption was low on that dive! :idea:

Ah yes...what a great trip indeed!!! -ww

WW,

You forgot one award and it goes to you- "How do you make a 6-5, 285 pound man disappear" award!!! :P

DBD

#12 NCMasterDiver

NCMasterDiver

Getting started

• Pip
  • 36 posts
  • Board Status:ready to dive......
  • Cert Level:AOW - Enriched Air (nitrox)
  • Logged Dives:154 +/-

Posted 30 July 2005 - 06:19 PM

It is all about selling the SingleDivers.com concept. Since the majority of trips are male dominated, I naturally recruited or marketed the single diver concept to all the ladies willing to sit still and hear the plan. Trying to level the diving field and social interaction opportunities. Objectives met, waiting to hear from prospective new diving members from North Carolina, Tennessee, Oklahoma, New York, Florida, Canada and Holland......Yes, it was a target rich environment. The diving was awesome. To Zman, thanks for being my roomie!

As long as you have faith, there is hope.

#13 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,487 posts

Posted 30 July 2005 - 07:54 PM

AHA!!! The 'son of mandrake' has appeared again in Cozumel giving clues to the whereabouts of his father's prison location in Grenada. Was that the secret location he was telling Juanito the Dive Shop Manager????

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#14 sfret

sfret

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 59 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:70+

Posted 30 July 2005 - 08:51 PM

Great trip report.

Thanks for the dives, folks (and the tolerence for the inexperienced single guy).

My only additions?

Every person on the trip was a nice guy or gal. There wasn't a person I wouldn't trust as a roomate or dive buddy. It's the kind of group that teaches you about yourself.

Kamala? Go get some rest now. You worked your ass off (Texas times 2 :unsure: ). You deserve a break.
"Can't we all just get along?" -Rodney King

#15 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,487 posts

Posted 30 July 2005 - 09:21 PM

Great trip report.

Thanks for the dives, folks (and the tolerence for the inexperienced single guy).

My only additions?

Every person on the trip was a nice guy or gal. There wasn't a person I wouldn't trust as a roomate or dive buddy. It's the kind of group that teaches you about yourself.

Kamala? Go get some rest now. You worked your ass off (Texas times 2 :teeth: ). You deserve a break.

Thank you my dear for such nice feedback! And I'd dive with you as well! And yes I did work a bit (ya know smoozing in Spanish is harder than it looks!!! :P )

...but hey...all it takes is someone to thank me for a job well done and its ALL worth it!!! :idea:

I did enjoy the secret dpv mission for which you helped me with! But I promise I'll keep it 'our' little secret! :unsure:

formerly...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users