• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Join us for Doc's Birthday Bash

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 drbill

drbill

I spend too much time on line

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 04 May 2004 - 08:16 PM

For those divers in SoCal who may be out on Catalina for the weekend of May 14-16th...

DOC'S BIRTHDAY BASH
May 14, 2004

Those of you who have known me for at least a year must realize that "IT" is rapidly approaching. Yes, it is already May and you know what that means. You don't? Need I give a hint? OK... beer milkshakes!!!

Yes, it's time to celebrate Edward Flanders "Doc" Ricketts birthday complete with the traditional rites. "Drop in" Friday, May 14th from 7:00 to 11:00 PM (even later if the cops show up to join us) at Bill "Doc" Bushing's lab, 107 Tremont Avenue (at the very top of Metropole Ave) to honor the original "Doc's" 107th birthday.

Most of you already know who Ed Ricketts is. After all, these parties have been going on for more than 25 years. For those of you who don't, Ed was a famous marine biologist who wrote a classic ecological text (Between Pacific Tides) which I first used at Harvard, then as a marine biology teacher at Toyon Bay and still use today in writing my "Dive Dry" columns. Ed was best friend and mentor to John Steinbeck who used him as the role model for the character "Doc" in Cannery Row, Sweet Thursday and several other novels. And Ed is my personal icon as a marine biologist.

In 1941 Steinbeck and Ricketts took the biological collecting trip through the Sea of Cortez that resulted in the highly philosophical Log from the Sea of Cortez. Ricketts also had a profound impact on mythologist Joseph Campbell who joined him on an earlier collecting trip to Alaska. Even Henry Miller was influenced by "Doc," possibly due to Ricketts' voracious sexual appetite (a trait of all good marine biologists I should add... and I'm starving!).

Ed was a great philosopher as well as biologist. His contributions include the concept of non-teleological or "is" thinking and "breaking through to the deep thing" based on my favorite poet Robinson Jeffers' poem "Roan Stallion." His works are gathered together in the two volume publication The Outer Shores. Definitely deep (and I don't mean as in ocean)!

"Doc" loved "true things..." fine scientific instruments, good tides and precise data collection, classical and contemporary music, the poetry of Robinson Jeffers and Lao Tsu. He really loved good beer (Bohemia was his favorite), women with thick lips and complications, partying, wine, good music, women, partying, more beer, women, whiskey, wine, women and song. He had few dislikes... women with thin lips (unless they used lipstick to compensate), people who didn't drink alcohol, people who didn't like sex, and getting his head wet (Ed always wore a hat when collecting in "the Great Tidepool"... and even in the shower so I doubt he would ever have become a SCUBA diver).

Of course no Ed Ricketts Day would be complete without Ed's "favorite" drink, a beer milkshake! The party will start with a screening of the first video I ever produced... the 1986 classic "About Ed Ricketts" and will be followed by edited footage from my recent Belize and Honduras diving. If you arrive late, you will be spared this. For the first time in many years, the 1980 MGM film version of "Cannery Row" will not be screened. We've just about worn it out anyway. Of course the high point of the party is a chance to get together and share what's left of our intellectual capacities after the milkshakes are consumed.

So join us on the 14th for a taste of the finest (and only?) beer milkshake you've ever had. Bring one to several dozen bottles each of your favorite beer. We'll supply the ice cream, the blender and the ambulance (oops, I mean ambiance). Feel free to bring tasty munchies to contribute if you so desire. If you prefer another beverage, BYOB... "Doc" Bushing is more tolerant than Ed was about such things.

For a map to the party, follow this link or call me at 310-510-8436 if you get lost.

Bill "Doc" Bushing

Edited by drbill, 04 May 2004 - 08:19 PM.

#2 Bubble2Bubble

Bubble2Bubble

Arkansas HH Planner

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • Board Status:Surface Interval Starting 08/2009
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver, Medic, Emergency First Responder, CPR/AED-Oxygen, Dry Suit, Nitrox.
  • Logged Dives:500+ Studing for my DM

Posted 04 May 2004 - 08:29 PM

Drbill
I cant make it to the Late Great Ed Ricketts birthday bash. I can celibrate it from here tho :welcome:

Mike
Dive into Life and Live for Diving!
no trees were harmed while posting any of my messages,
however a significant number of electrons were inconvenienced.

Buy Lawn Mower and Chain Saw Parts at...
Amazon.com

#3 triggerfish

triggerfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,712 posts
  • Cert Level:goddess.
  • Logged Dives:never enough

Posted 04 May 2004 - 08:34 PM

oh MAAAAANNNNNN!!!!!!

i have to miss it again THIS YEAR????????

i'll be thinking of you tho, wildbill!!!

#4 chinacat46

chinacat46

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,147 posts
  • Cert Level:OWSI
  • Logged Dives:1527(8 in fresh water)

Posted 04 May 2004 - 08:48 PM

I'm gonna have to pass to as I'll still be in Turks & Caicos. Come to think of it I'd rather be in the Turks & Caicos. Sorry Dr. B.

#5 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts

Posted 04 May 2004 - 09:11 PM

Turks & Caicos, eh? Hmmm... maybe I don't have to be at the party either!

Dr. B.

#6 chinacat46

chinacat46

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,147 posts

Posted 05 May 2004 - 08:14 AM

How do you make your beer milkshakes? We do beer shakes on Super Bowl Sunday. We use a dark beer preferably a Stout or Porter and then ice cream. I think they taste great myself.

#7 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts

Posted 05 May 2004 - 09:02 AM

The original recipe called for raw eggs, but I don't use them for obvious reasons. Current recipe is so simple even I can make them... same as yours, ice cream and beer. I have my guests bring their own beers so we can experiment with the different tastes. In honor of Ed, I usually use his favorite (Bohemia). He grew very fond of Mexican beers during the Sea of Cortez expedition.

I'm always amused at the number of new folks who arrive saying they won't even try one, but become addicted to them by the end of the night!

Dr. B.

Edited by drbill, 05 May 2004 - 09:03 AM.

#8 mischievous

mischievous

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,304 posts
  • Cert Level:0
  • Logged Dives:0

Posted 05 May 2004 - 09:19 AM

i can understand why they're hesitant! dr. b, beer milkshakes just sounds so gross....(i might have to whip up a thimble-ful just so i can say i tried it and voice my dislike without the requisite, "well how do you know if you've never tried it" routine)

#9 chinacat46

chinacat46

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,147 posts

Posted 05 May 2004 - 09:38 AM

My sister in law thought it was gross when I made some xmas time one year with some tooth sheaf stout and vanilla ice cream. Her attitude changed once she tasted it. Try it you like it.

#10 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 05 May 2004 - 09:47 AM

Beer milkshakes don't sound good, but I've discovered I like things that sound worse. Ya never know until you try.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#11 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,588 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 05 May 2004 - 12:01 PM

I heard of people drinking beer with chocolate and I know a shandy is great...beer with lemonaide so maybe a beer shake would be ok afterall!

Maybe we'll try them in Athens...of course its not the official birthday weekend but we'll only be one week late....what's a week when you aren't around anymore anyway????? LOL!!!

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#12 mischievous

mischievous

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,304 posts
  • Cert Level:0
  • Logged Dives:0

Posted 05 May 2004 - 12:05 PM

all right. ice cream in the same cooler that we'll be putting the meat to keep it frigidly cold...i guess. mmm...yummy?

#13 Diverlady

Diverlady

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW w/ specialties & drysuit user
  • Logged Dives:175 - as of Sep 18, 2004

Posted 05 May 2004 - 12:23 PM

Well if you make the beer milkshakes with Canadian beer, I'm sure they'll be GREAT!!!
Alas, I won't be able to join you. I have an early flight on Saturday to Miami. Plus the map provided is missing a huge section of directions. Like how I to get to California!! LOL

Enjoy!

Diverlady
FAILURE IS NOT AN OPTION!! It comes bundled with the software.

What do you mean "it doesn't come in PINK"?!?!

#14 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 05 May 2004 - 12:28 PM

I have an early flight on Saturday to Miami.

Only a hop, skip & a jump away. Are you coming to dive with me? You were going to surprise me?
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#15 Diverlady

Diverlady

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 856 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW w/ specialties & drysuit user
  • Logged Dives:175 - as of Sep 18, 2004

Posted 05 May 2004 - 12:32 PM

Only a hop, skip & a jump away. Are you coming to dive with me? You were going to surprise me?

Well that was my ORIGINAL plan!!

Then I found out someone had forged my signature on a Blackbeard's sign-up sheet! The nerve! Now I won't be able to dive with YOU Walter! :lmao: I'll be stuck on a liveaboard for a week!

DL
FAILURE IS NOT AN OPTION!! It comes bundled with the software.

What do you mean "it doesn't come in PINK"?!?!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users