• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

• Please log in to reply
50 replies to this topic

#1 Trimix2dive

Trimix2dive

Everyone knows me

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced Trimix
  • Logged Dives:519

Posted 14 August 2005 - 03:58 PM

For those that missed it, you missed one of the most enjoyable dive events I've been to in the past few years.

Saturday night shall live in infamy. :P :welcome: :cool2: :o

I would like this thread to provide pros and cons for future dive out co-ordinators. Don't worry I have a thick skin if a con, and I won't take it personally. Example, location, community meals, nightlife, gear swap or sale, underwater gear exchange?

Lets hear about it.

ciao- steve

administrator - please pin this so it gets maximum exposure.

Edited by Trimix2dive, 14 August 2005 - 04:00 PM.

#2 Guest_PlatypusMan_*

Guest_PlatypusMan_*
  • Guests

Posted 14 August 2005 - 05:10 PM

I had a blast...my only regret is that I couldn't stay over until Sunday and hang Saturday night with the crowd.

If I can offer one suggestion--many of us are/were name challenged; next time, let's get some name tags working.

PlatypusMan

..presented in glorious Generation II Platypiivision.

Posted Image
..water level's a bit down, isn't it?

#3 chinacat46

chinacat46

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,147 posts
  • Cert Level:OWSI
  • Logged Dives:1527(8 in fresh water)

Posted 14 August 2005 - 05:23 PM

You don't need no stinking name tags.

#4 ScubaPunk

ScubaPunk

Houston HH Planner + Angel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,029 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, NITROX
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 14 August 2005 - 06:42 PM

Steve - You did a kick-ass job of putting this event together, thanks for everything, including the traveling dive shop, I would have been stuck topside without you. :welcome:

I had a great time and met some more new faces for the first time. So, yes name tags are a great idea. There were at least 20 of us there this weekend, and between real names and screen names, it gets a little challenging when you only have two days to figure it all out. I believe we may have even picked up a new member or two, as well as getting our group mentioned in some publication (who was that reporter guy with again?).

Chris, please sign on and post an intro so everyone can welcome you. Hope to see you at many more future SD events. Betty, it was great meeting you, thanks for coming out to dive with us. John and Tom, next time, no partying before any SD events, get lots of sleep so you can hang with us through Saturday night, K? Travis (DeepDiverStud), sorry you got back too late to join us Saturday, you definitely fit right in with this crowd. :welcome: Tina, you rock! Now I see why they are having so much fun at those Dallas Happy Hours. :welcome: The other Travis (leaudaustin), thanks for the above ground navigation assistance, and hope to be diving and partying with you again real soon. Glen, as always, you are so much fun to hang out with, I'll share my shower with you anytime. :welcome: Scubachuck, you are one of a kind, hope school doesn't keep you away from the Houston Happy Hours, it wouldn't be the same without you. Platypusman, you always keep us laughing, wish you could have stayed longer. Sydney, thanks for being our Designated Driver, you made it possible for us to pull out all the stops, and we took full advantage of the opportunity, while following your only rule "not in my car" :welcome: Julio, thanks for being such a great dive leader, and showing us around with the less than favorable visability, and as always, you are great fun to party with. Victoria, I hope you enjoyed your first Singledivers event, and I look forward to diving and partying with you again. Kevin and Steve, you two were an absolute blast all weekend long. Kevin, I don't think I have ever had such a smooth dance partner! Stingray, I'm glad you finally got that first dive in since your surgery, we missed you at Carlos and Charlies, see you at the next HH. Neil and Barry, it was great meeting you two and diving with you. To all of those who I am forgetting, thanks for coming out and making this weekend so much fun. Let's do it again soon!

Oh yeah, pros and cons of this trip. I'll think about it and get back to you. :P

#5 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts
  • Board Status:thinkin' about diving
  • Cert Level:DM; TDI Adv Nitrox and Deco Procedures
  • Logged Dives:1200 ish

Posted 14 August 2005 - 06:49 PM

Rats!!!

:dltears: :dltears: :dltears:

I missed an incredible event

I worked 6 hours yesterday and none today...if only it had been reversed, I'd have gone!

#6 dustbowl diver

dustbowl diver

"Charlie"

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,028 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:139

Posted 14 August 2005 - 07:08 PM

Trimix,

Great job in having the stones to plan this- I had a great time meeting several new faces, to all of them, :welcome: for taking the time to come and join us!! :welcome:

To all my friends I haven't seen in awhile, :welcome: I enjoyed seeing you all again and sharing a few laughs!!!!!

Hope to see you all again real soon!!!!!

DBD
"Yesterday's gone, tomorrow never knows, today will never be the same again!"-Jibe

#7 leaudaustin

leaudaustin

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 84 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, EAN
  • Logged Dives:51

Posted 14 August 2005 - 11:48 PM

First off, LOST & FOUND: as the last one to leave the point, I discovered one blue chair left behind. I imagine the last people before me thought it was mine, but it was probably left by one of the people who took off earlier.

Relatedly: the camp site was very clean when we left. I imagine park owner Richard Barstow (who signed on to SingleDivers as Rbaustx) would be happy to have the group back.

I really enjoyed meeting everyone and diving. And sharing the "Rudy's experience" and visiting C&Cs too.

If I heard right, I think a couple Caribbean-blue and quarry clear water divers now have almost-zero-vis, follow-the-butt-in-front-of-you freshwater diving to add to your log book. :welcome:

The fellow asking the questions was working on some article for the LCRA (Lower Colorado River Authority). The LCRA is the organization that's in charge of lots of important Central Texas water stuff, including, I believe, controlling the dams and thus the level of the lake. They're an important group, and letting them know how much people appreciate having Lake Travis as a dive destination may be important to keeping it so.

PlatypusMan gave him a earful of good info as we were filling tanks Saturday. (Um, John, did you ask him what org he was working for before answering all his questions? :welcome: )

I agree that learning the names (both of them) was a challenge. (I myself am chronically name challenged...apologies in advance to those who I just met when I ask you your name again the next time we meet :welcome:). And do put up the banner early. I had a little trouble finding y'all since I was looking for the banner.

Much thanks to Steve and all else who helped in organizing and pulling off the event.

-Travis (the "leaudaustin" one)

#8 Guest_PlatypusMan_*

Guest_PlatypusMan_*
  • Guests

Posted 15 August 2005 - 06:31 AM

PlatypusMan gave him a earful of good info as we were filling tanks Saturday.  (Um, John, did you ask him what org he was working for before answering all his questions?  :birthday: )

While I did learn that he was doing the article for an electronic newsletter for the LCRA, you should know that I'll talk to anyone at the drop of a hat if it promotes diving. Any hat.

I did also come away from this weekend with one other newfound thing; a greater respect for Kamala's ability as a kitten-herder on any of the SD dive trips.

We are one hard-charging group of rugged individuals.

PlatypusMan

..presented in glorious Generation II Platypiivision.

Posted Image
Anybody seen a blue chair around here?

#9 Cold_H2O

Cold_H2O

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,498 posts
  • Logged Dives:lost count but back to keeping a log.

Posted 15 August 2005 - 08:09 AM

I will admit you Texans have some great sounding events. Almost makes me want to move down there.. might have to head south to attend one of these sometime.
Can't wait to see what you folks have planned next.
Well Behave Women Rarely Make History ~ Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Formerly known as gis_gal and name tattoo'd for a small bribe!

#10 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,487 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 15 August 2005 - 08:20 AM

That's it....add me to the official "Dang I Wish I Was There" Group!!!
But I got my Grandmother off safely this morning and I had an incredible weekend with my family!

p.s. No Worries....I'll be at the next one!

:birthday:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#11 Big Tall Hippie

Big Tall Hippie

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 89 posts
  • Cert Level:Open water
  • Logged Dives:20

Posted 15 August 2005 - 08:48 AM

The following report is from memory and will be missing several parts from Saturday night due to “white wine spritzers” not being made from white wine and coming with a lime and salt.

First I would like to thank Glenn for his driving duties both nights and allowing me to be in the condition that I was in where I could dance so well. The diving was pretty good. I was very happy with the way everything turned out. The water temp was great and feeding the fish was a lot of fun. The conversations were great as well allowing me to learn several things and view different setups of dive gear. It was great meeting everyone and seeing people from past HH’ers.

For Saturday night I would like to thank Trimix and Julio for the Patron “white wine sprtizers”. The 5 that I had plus beer allowed me to dance like a mad man. It was nice dancing with everyone after diving and letting us get our hair down. I even ran into a waitress, from a sports bar that I got to watch all the Pittsburgh Steelers games in Dallas. Carlos and Charlies was a very nice bar with a good band that played some good rock and roll tunes that I seem to remember some but not all the tunes. I would like to thank my dance partners for a wonderful evening. I would also like to thank Scubapunk and Sydney for allowing Trimix and me to give them lap dances. Glenn(Hawkeye) for keeping a good eye on me. If I remember anything else from Saturday night I will be sure and post. If I left anything out I please feel free to add to this.

I would also like to thank all the kitten herders in moving us around. The only thing I can think of would be to setup some things to do in between dives such as a poker game or volleyball.

#12 texasdiverdude

texasdiverdude

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 71 posts
  • Cert Level:Cave, Trimix
  • Logged Dives:774

Posted 15 August 2005 - 10:05 AM

It was a good weekend even though I was only there for the day on Saturday. Sorry I missed Sat. night, but the next one can't be too far off!!

#13 Mitch0129

Mitch0129

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts
  • Cert Level:OW, AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:290

Posted 15 August 2005 - 11:26 AM

You can add me to the "Wish I could have been there" list too. Sounds like you all had a great time!
-Mitch-

#14 cboisseau

cboisseau

Getting started

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Gender:Default...if you do not click on either male or female, a moderator will contact you to help fill out correctly.

Posted 15 August 2005 - 02:42 PM

Hi, I'm that "reporter guy" who was interviewing your members on Saturday.

My name is Charles Boisseau, and I'm Web editor for the Lower Colorado River Authority. (Go to this link to find out more about LCRA. We're a nonprofit governmental organization that manages dams and lakes, operates parks, supplies water and electricity to mostly rural Central Texans.) As I explained, I'm doing a feature story on the dive community at Lake Travis. I appreciate everyone's help.

The story is slated to appear in our e-mail newsletter, Water Forum, and I want to make sure y'all know about that. You can sign up for the free e-mail newsletter by going to this link: Sign up for LCRA's Water Forum .

As I said, the story will help promote the upcoming Underwater Cleanup, which is scheduled next month at Lake Travis. More than 800 divers are expected. Soon, we also will post info on the upcoming underwater cleanup that I mentioned. It's not on our site yet; I'm cutting and pasting the details here:

Here are some more details on the cleanup:
PARTNERS: Keep Austin Beautiful
Colorado River Foundation
Travis County Parks and Recreation
Lower Colorado River Authority

DATE & TIME: September 18, 2005; 8:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.

WHAT: A large-scale, community clean-up event on Lake Travis and post-event celebration at Carlos’N Charlie’s

WHY: To rid Lake Travis of the tons of debris and waste that accumulate on the lake bottom and shoreline each year

PARTICIPANTS: Roughly 800 dive volunteers, 250 shoreline cleanup volunteers, numerous event volunteers; local news & media; dive shops, marina owners, Lake Travis residents and citizens of Central Texas

Once again, THANK YOU for your assistance. My e-mail is charles.boisseau@lcra.org if you would like to contact me!

Charles

#15 Trimix2dive

Trimix2dive

Everyone knows me

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced Trimix
  • Logged Dives:519

Posted 15 August 2005 - 03:14 PM

Charles -

I was the outing coordinator there at Lake Travis. I enjoyed the time the 4 of us spent talking for your interview for your article. I hope you got a little bit of divers insight to put in your article.

Once its published, would you do us a favor? Most in the group would probably like to read it. So if possible, please post a link on one of the threads (if not this one).

Thanks Again (hope we were helpful),
Steve Shipe
Trimix2dive

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users