• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Tropical Storm Katrina

• Please log in to reply
82 replies to this topic

#31 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 26 August 2005 - 06:41 AM

MaryAnn lives inland. They are also without power, they were fine last night, but I haven't been able to reach them this morning.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#32 dustbowl diver

dustbowl diver

"Charlie"

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,028 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:139

Posted 26 August 2005 - 06:49 AM

Glad to hear that all of our Florida friends are OK!!!! My thoughts and prayers are with you!!!!!!

DBD
"Yesterday's gone, tomorrow never knows, today will never be the same again!"-Jibe

#33 Maria

Maria

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW/Nitrox

Posted 26 August 2005 - 07:24 AM

I'm glad to hear everyone is doing well. I got out of there just in time. I heard it hit close to Hollywood and I used to live a mile away from there. :cheerleader:
Formerly known as Mahoneme

"You must have dreams of love, you must have desires. Perhaps you are made in such a way that you are afraid of them. Don't be. They are the best things you have."

Hermann Hesse

#34 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts

Posted 26 August 2005 - 07:38 AM

ScubaJenny and Hermit Crab are also well and without power.

DSSW,

WWW™

#35 Mitch0129

Mitch0129

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts
  • Cert Level:OW, AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:290

Posted 26 August 2005 - 07:47 AM

Walter, thank you so much for keeping us posted on Marvel and the others. When I saw that the storm went into near Fort Lauderdale, I thought about her.

Keep us updated ...
-Mitch-

#36 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts

Posted 26 August 2005 - 08:27 AM

The storm is a thing of the past for the east coast. It's all about cleaning up after the fact now. It could still be pretty nasty along the west coast and the panhandle. Time will tell.

DSSW,

WWW™

#37 sunshinediver

sunshinediver

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor trainer with SEI and CMAS; HSA (divers with disabilities) and DAN instructor; tech
  • Logged Dives:2312

Posted 26 August 2005 - 02:29 PM

Anyone else see a resemblance between "sunshinediver" and Julie Christie in her acting days?

Hmmm...I've never heard that one before! If anyone thinks I resemble an actress, it is normally the girl who plays Christine on Y&R. I am terrible with remembering names of actors, so I had to look up who Julie Christie is. I don't see the resemblance, but maybe I just need a different picture (especially after seeing that she was in Harry Potter). LOL.

BTW, we are bracing here in the Panhandle as Katrina is strengthening. I had a dive scheduled today in Panama City, but the captain called early this morning and cancelled because the seas were already getting too rough. I was just diving there Sunday and it was gorgeous.

The Panhandle area of Florida is expected to get hit with a much stronger Hurricane Katrina than south Florida as she continues to move over very warm waters. The coastal communities south of Tallahassee were hit extremely hard by Hurricane Dennis, but it didn't make the news much except locally. Personally, I just had my roof repaired last week from a branch that fell through it from Dennis.

Let's hope our friends to the west, especially the Pensacola area, don't get hit hard again....

#38 peterbj7

peterbj7

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts
  • Logged Dives:over 4000

Posted 26 August 2005 - 02:35 PM

Julie Christie in her heyday was Bathsheba in "Far from the Madding Crowd", based on the book by Thomas Hardy. I had no idea she had been in Harry Potter!

#39 sunshinediver

sunshinediver

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor trainer with SEI and CMAS; HSA (divers with disabilities) and DAN instructor; tech

Posted 26 August 2005 - 02:53 PM

Julie Christie in her heyday was Bathsheba in "Far from the Madding Crowd", based on the book by Thomas Hardy.  I had no idea she had been in Harry Potter!

LOL...hopefully it was just the makeup (and maybe a nose extension) that made her look so bad in Harry Potter! Anyway, I changed my avatar. :unsure: Not the best pic, but it was just taken last week. Do I still look like her?!

Edited by sunshinediver, 26 August 2005 - 03:00 PM.

#40 sunshinediver

sunshinediver

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts

Posted 26 August 2005 - 03:27 PM

Update on Hurricane Katrina... current predictions put it as a Category 3 or 4 hitting somewhere near Mobile Bay. If that happens, Pensacola, being on the east of the storm, will be hit very hard (and as you know, they are still recovering from the devastation of last year's storms). Local forecasters are warning that the hurricane may come back further east. Of course anything could change, but please send positive vibes to everyone in her path.

Edited by sunshinediver, 26 August 2005 - 03:43 PM.

#41 nextariel

nextariel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,531 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:350+

Posted 26 August 2005 - 04:51 PM

Glad to hear Marvel's OK. Hope the sand is still on the beach and not in front of your door.

Hoping Katrina goes out with the waves and dissipates and the other two 'waves' out there now get lost at sea.
Laugh at yourself first, before anyone else can. --Elsa Maxwell, September 28, 1958

#42 HAWKEYE1251

HAWKEYE1251

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
  • Cert Level:OWC-Mostly muddy lakes and spring water. Dove Cozumel a few years ago, I'm hooked....enough said
  • Logged Dives:17

Posted 26 August 2005 - 08:28 PM

Sort of ironic that this " Katrina and the Waves" is going to be a two hit wonder.

My thoughts are with you all in the area of this. Hold on and God speed to you all !!!

Hawkeye

I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed individual!

I am certified! But then, you must be, to do ow training dives in Canyon Lake......

#43 ScubaHawk

ScubaHawk

Midwest HH Planner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,265 posts
  • Cert Level:Dive Master
  • Logged Dives:1000+

Posted 28 August 2005 - 10:16 AM

And it looks like Katrina and The Waves next hit may be on the blues charts. My family has started hitting the evacuation trail and most of my friends are leaving S. LA - Except for the few nuts who will stay and have a "Hurricane Party" Guess will see if New Orleans has enough mojo to weather this one.
Take an SD trip - See old friends you have never met before!
Every existing thing is born without reason, prolongs itself out of weakness, and dies by chance. - Jean-Paul Sartre
I feel the urge, the urge to submerge! -ScubaHawk - Raptor of the Deep !
WHO DAT!!!!

#44 nextariel

nextariel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,531 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:350+

Posted 28 August 2005 - 10:48 AM

My guess is, we will never have Katrina listed as a storm name.

Stay safe to all of those in LA, MS, AL and Fl Panhandle. As this is SO large many of you will be affected. You are the most important thing, please get out of harms way.
Laugh at yourself first, before anyone else can. --Elsa Maxwell, September 28, 1958

#45 HAWKEYE1251

HAWKEYE1251

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 180 posts
  • Cert Level:OWC-Mostly muddy lakes and spring water. Dove Cozumel a few years ago, I'm hooked....enough said
  • Logged Dives:17

Posted 28 August 2005 - 01:40 PM

And it looks like Katrina and The Waves next hit may be on the blues charts. My family has started hitting the evacuation trail and most of my friends are leaving S. LA - Except for the few nuts who will stay and have a "Hurricane Party" Guess will see if New Orleans has enough mojo to weather this one.

Good luck to them all, and our thoughts are with you and yours!

The other Hawk
I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed individual!

I am certified! But then, you must be, to do ow training dives in Canyon Lake......

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users