• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Buoyancy Control?

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

#1 GentDiver

GentDiver

"Shark-Bait"

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 937 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced Open Water
  • Logged Dives:80

Posted 07 May 2004 - 02:12 PM

One of the things that I struggled with in my certification class was buoyancy. I mean I got it, but it seemed to take a bit to get there. I saw the Peak Performance Buoyancy by PADI, but didn't know if it was worth taking or not. The other option was to get 10-15 dives under my belt and then take the class.

Any thoughts?
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
- Albert Einstein

"Do, or do not. There is no 'try'."
- Yoda ('The Empire Strikes Back')

"And the trees are all kept equal by hatch, axe, and saw"
- Rush (The Trees)

#2 Coo's Toe

Coo's Toe

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts
  • Cert Level: DIR-F

Posted 07 May 2004 - 02:35 PM

Getting more dives under your belt will probably do more for you than taking a class. You shouldn't expect perfection right out of OW class, it's one of those things that requires practice.

Some quick tips... Anticipate changes in bouyancy. Don't hit the bottom before adding air to your BC, slow yourself with short bursts of air before you get to the bottom. Long bursts of air will probably be too much, and you'll be dumping/adding excessively. So remember, short bursts, with time to settle out in between. When you begin an ascent, dump some air before you think you need to, to keep your ascent from becoming rapid. If you're neutral, it should only require a good deep breath to begin ascending slowly. So dump enough air at each step of the way up to remain neutral, and begin ascending again using breath control.

Eventually, with more dives under your belt, bouyancy control should get to be second nature to you. As you go deeper, you'll know to add enough air to stay neutral at all times.

PADI ( and I'm sure all the agencies do this too ) are in the business of selling you classes. Not all of these classes are entirely necessary IMHO, and none of them replace actual dive time in the water. I would suggest waiting a bit after OW before you start taking all the classes your LDS is going to try to sell you. Get some real diving in, and try to learn from buddies who are experianced in the local conditions. PADI will let you jump right into an AOW class, but you won't really come away as an advanced diver. Nor will Peak Performance Buoyancy class make you a buoyancy God out there. My own recommendation is to log 25 dives or so before you go gung-ho trying to collect a bunch of c-cards.

Just my $.02, hope it helps.

#3 Bubble2Bubble

Bubble2Bubble

Arkansas HH Planner

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • Board Status:Surface Interval Starting 08/2009
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver, Medic, Emergency First Responder, CPR/AED-Oxygen, Dry Suit, Nitrox.
  • Logged Dives:500+ Studing for my DM

Posted 07 May 2004 - 03:00 PM

scottmcr1999
Coo's Toe pretty much covered all the base's I agree 100% with him. cant add anything more . just time in the water cure's all.

Mike
Dive into Life and Live for Diving!
no trees were harmed while posting any of my messages,
however a significant number of electrons were inconvenienced.

Buy Lawn Mower and Chain Saw Parts at...
Amazon.com

#4 AndrewJD

AndrewJD

Getting started

• Pip
  • 41 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced, DIR-F
  • Logged Dives:130

Posted 07 May 2004 - 03:13 PM

I second everything that CT has said.

I would also say that you should devote a portion of your dives to practicing skills. Mastery at the bascis is the goal. Spending time upfront to do this will enhance your enjoyment of diving down the road.

Another important part of this is practicing with an experiened (and good) diver that can provide some constructive critisim.

Jonathan

#5 kevininpo

kevininpo

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 07 May 2004 - 03:17 PM

just another opinion...most dive accidents happen in the 1st 20 dives, then again after 1000. Any time spent in that 1st window with QUALIFIED dive professionals is as important for the feeling of safety and comfort as it is for the knowledge learned. lt's easier to develop good habits than it is to correct bad ones. Bottom line is, it's your decision. l just dated a divemaster!
if it ain't broke, fix it till it is
what if the hokey pokey really IS what it's all about?

#6 DivingGal

DivingGal

• PipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • Cert Level:Divemaster.... love looking at critters, but enjoy wrecks when I can't
  • Logged Dives:300+

Posted 07 May 2004 - 03:20 PM

I agree a few more dives under your belt is best. Get to know what you have, how it feels in the water. A few more dives and you start controling your breathing, and most likely your bouyancy.

I've seen too many students (at all levels) rush through one cert after another gaining certs without understanding what was really being taught. Early in my diving career I was GUILTY of this, and I regret it.

As for the PPB course -- see if a Pro will loan you the video (if you were closer I'd loan you mine) seeing what you're suppose to do will help you out doing it.
Sometimes, you just gotta be

#7 AndrewJD

AndrewJD

Getting started

• Pip
  • 41 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced, DIR-F
  • Logged Dives:130

Posted 07 May 2004 - 03:28 PM

If you can find someone to video tape you that would provide some real insight as well.

JD

#8 GentDiver

GentDiver

"Shark-Bait"

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 937 posts

Posted 07 May 2004 - 03:33 PM

Thanks all. That was pretty much what I figured. The video tap thing is something that I never would have thought of!!
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
- Albert Einstein

- Rush (The Trees)

#9 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 07 May 2004 - 03:35 PM

Buoyancy control is actually pretty easy. CT covered most of it quite well.

A few points:

Get yourself weighted properly. With about 500 PSI in your tank, no air in your BC and full lungs you should float vertically at eye level. Most divers are overweighted.

Most of my buoyancy control is accomplished with breathing. Everyone should be fine tuning their buoyancy control with breathing, not their BC.

If you can control your buoyancy in shallow water, it'll be a snap as you go deeper. Do most of your buoyancy control practice in shallow water - less than 10 feet.

Good luck and enjoy.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#10 Marvel

Marvel

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,057 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 07 May 2004 - 05:25 PM

.....l just dated a divemaster!

Hmmm. Maybe I should do that?! :anna:
Marvel

"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C. S. Lewis

Posted Image

#11 mischievous

mischievous

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,304 posts
  • Cert Level:0
  • Logged Dives:0

Posted 07 May 2004 - 05:33 PM

i agree...i will only date divemasters or higher from here on out!

#12 chinacat46

chinacat46

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,147 posts
  • Cert Level:OWSI
  • Logged Dives:1527(8 in fresh water)

Posted 07 May 2004 - 05:35 PM

I knew there was a reason I needed to get my DM cert. :wakawaka:

#13 GentDiver

GentDiver

"Shark-Bait"

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 937 posts

Posted 07 May 2004 - 05:42 PM

i will only date divemasters or higher from here on out!

Dang... :wakawaka:
- Albert Einstein

- Rush (The Trees)

#14 DivingGal

DivingGal

• PipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • Cert Level:Divemaster.... love looking at critters, but enjoy wrecks when I can't
  • Logged Dives:300+

Posted 07 May 2004 - 05:47 PM

hmmm I can't date myself... so I guess I go after instructors?
Sometimes, you just gotta be

#15 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 07 May 2004 - 06:05 PM

Now 'Chie puts another nail in the coffin!

Agree 100% with Walter- learn to use your lungs for BC. Before we used BCD's that's what we all used (some more successfully than others I should add).

One warning- do be careful practicing your BC in shallower waters. Remember that the greatest percent change occurs within the upper 33 ft. Don't "hold" your breath... always give your lungs the option of auto purging!

Dr. B.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users