• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

1 SPOT LEFT!...2006: Sea Cortez & Socorro & Revillagigedo Islands

• Please log in to reply
282 replies to this topic

#256 ScubaHawk

ScubaHawk

Midwest HH Planner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,265 posts
  • Cert Level:Dive Master
  • Logged Dives:1000+

Posted 13 November 2006 - 11:02 AM

Paper work on the way.

9 More days!!! Arrrrrrrrgh! :ph34r: I can't wait!! I've been over a year for this trip! I haven't been able to do any serious diving since I broke my face and hand in Feb. :unhappy: I'M NOT GOING TO MAKE IT!!!!! :thankyou: I know I'll freeze myself, that way it will seem like no time has passed. (funnier if you watched the last two episodes of south park)

*breathing into paper bag*

ok, I'm better now. Sorry about that, I'll be ok.

P.S. I'm looking foreward to the trip. :sleepy:

if you are hyperventilating just thinking about the trip what will do when WW and I will torture you???
I hope people know there CPR on this boat!!!

I thinks it's spelld crap, not cpr . . . but I do know mouth to mouth :P
Take an SD trip - See old friends you have never met before!
Every existing thing is born without reason, prolongs itself out of weakness, and dies by chance. - Jean-Paul Sartre
I feel the urge, the urge to submerge! -ScubaHawk - Raptor of the Deep !
WHO DAT!!!!

#257 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts
  • Board Status:thinkin' about diving
  • Cert Level:DM; TDI Adv Nitrox and Deco Procedures
  • Logged Dives:1200 ish

Posted 13 November 2006 - 12:10 PM

Paper work on the way.

9 More days!!! Arrrrrrrrgh! :ph34r: I can't wait!! I've been over a year for this trip! I haven't been able to do any serious diving since I broke my face and hand in Feb. :unhappy: I'M NOT GOING TO MAKE IT!!!!! :thankyou: I know I'll freeze myself, that way it will seem like no time has passed. (funnier if you watched the last two episodes of south park)

*breathing into paper bag*

ok, I'm better now. Sorry about that, I'll be ok.

P.S. I'm looking foreward to the trip. :cool2:

if you are hyperventilating just thinking about the trip what will do when WW and I will torture you???
I hope people know there CPR on this boat!!!

I thinks it's spelld crap, not cpr . . . but I do know mouth to mouth :P

damn!! my opportunity to give 'Hawk mouth to mouth is lost because I don't have any more vacation time :sleepy:

#258 ScubaHawk

ScubaHawk

Midwest HH Planner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,265 posts
  • Cert Level:Dive Master
  • Logged Dives:1000+

Posted 13 November 2006 - 12:31 PM

Well It's not like I don't take 2 or 3 SD trips a year . . .
Take an SD trip - See old friends you have never met before!
Every existing thing is born without reason, prolongs itself out of weakness, and dies by chance. - Jean-Paul Sartre
I feel the urge, the urge to submerge! -ScubaHawk - Raptor of the Deep !
WHO DAT!!!!

#259 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts

Posted 13 November 2006 - 01:22 PM

Well It's not like I don't take 2 or 3 SD trips a year . . .

well, that's true :thankyou:

I guess I'll have to wait for my next opportunity and then pounce like a cat! :P

#260 orcaman

orcaman

SD Videographer

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts
  • Cert Level:YMCA, 3500+ dives, Bahamas, Caribean, Red Sea, Australia, Truk, more
  • Logged Dives:Gave up on logs, started e and never finished onediving for 28 years, approx. 200 per year currently

Posted 14 November 2006 - 09:42 AM

Some information for you from the Captains log of the Nautilus Explorer 11/12/06-11/03/06 recent first.
Check it out at http://www.nautiluse...n/?captains_log if you have any questions.
The temps look to be in the 80 F. above and below, for you who like C. that will be a little less than 27.
Looking forward to having a great time on a great trip!!!
The Orcaman!!!

Position: 18o46.7'N 111o02.9'W

Location: At anchor, Punta Tosca, Socorro Island, Revillagigedos

Weather: Low broken stratus, 80oF temperatures with 25 knots winds and gusts higher. Low swell in the anchorage.

Water: Water temp 80oF with lower thermoclines. Visibility 80 feet.

Comments: I have been doing a lot of diving lately. The reality of a relief Captain taking over a number of Revillagigedo trips this winter has hit me and I'm trying to get in as many splashes in as possible. Sooo, we were anchored at a pinnacle on the west side of Socorro Island last night and I thought "hey", why don't we try a night dive under the lights of the boat and check out the shark interaction. Conventional wisdom in this part of the world is that it's not a good idea to do night dives at Socorro given that the sharks can show markedly different behaviour at night. But what the heck, I was feeling adventuresome and managed to talk 7 guests into joining me. I was the first to jump in off the back of the Nautilus Explorer and instantly started rotating around and peering into the darkness. Flying fish had been out in force earlier, sailing through the air in every direction (including smacking themselves senseless on the back deck) with silky and silvertip sharks avidly pursuing them. Needless to say that I was a bit nervous! The pinnacle below us was well lit up with the overside floods of the ship so we switched off our dive lights and descended down to the rocks. It was GREAT!!! We could clearly see the ship above us, the fish around us were also very well illuminated once we had our night vision and it was eerily beautiful to see the other divers swimming around in the gloom. After 10 minutes or so I actually started feeling quite relaxed. We had some silky and silvertip sharks swim by at depth but things didn't start getting really interesting until we ascended at the back of the ship - here were a lot more sharks there including one "crazed" and agitated silvertip that kept swimming right at the divers, nipping on one person's fin, headbutting my dive light, rapidly shaking his body from side to side and generally keeping our adrenalin levels elevated. It's amazing that one little shark could get us so excited! It was a great adventure jumping into the black and being a little scared and not knowing what to expect. I can't wait to do it again! Captain Mike
Diving with giant mantas at San Benedicto Island 2006-11-11

Position: 18o42.5'N 110o57.2'W

Location: At anchor, Soccoro Islands navy base, Revillagigedo Archipelago

Weather: Broken strato cumulous and very hot and muggy as tropical storm Rosa passes to the south of us.

Water: Water temp 80oF, visibility variable 30 - 100 feet depending on the site.

Comments: Had a great day yesterday at San Benedicto Island with multiple giant mantas sightings and interaction at the diving site El Canyon. Shifted over to southwest San Benedicto for our last dive of the day and splashed on one of my favourite cleaning stations - in 20 minutes I saw loads of fish, an octopus, numerous moray eels, 2 silky sharks and a white tip reef shark. Another group of divers saw a nice school of hammerhead sharks swim past. The only bad news is that we have been undergoing a thorough navy and PROFEPA inspection since early this morning and as of noon today, have still not been able to get our divers in the water. I guess that's the price we pay for the privilege of operating in a Marine Biosphere Reserve -- these inspections help keep the bad guys out. Captain Mike
Diving with giant mantas at San Benedicto Island, 2006-11-10

Position: 19o17.8'N 110o48.5'W

Location: At anchor with the giant mantas at The Canyon diving site, San Benedicto Island, Islas Revillagigedos

Weather: Air temp 80oF, high scattered clouds, winds 15 knots from the northwest, 3 - 4 foot SE swell in our anchorage.

Water: Water temp 78oF, vis 30 - 75 feet (dive #1 and dive #2).

Comments: Well, we are back at Socorro (or Islas Revillagigedos to be correct) on our first trip of this season and the giant mantas are here! Yahhyyy. On Dive 1 at El Canyon we saw just 1 black manta and a single white tip reef shark in fairly low vis (the fine volcanic ash from San Benedicto is layered over the bottom and gets picked up by strong currents). But Dive 2 rocked with much better vis, 3 mantas, an enormous galapagos shark and a couple of silky sharks. The mantas exhibited their usual curiousity about humans much to the delight of our divers. I had forgotten how much I love this place. Captain Mike
Enroute from the Sea of Cortez to Socorro Island (Isla 2006-11-09

Position: 22o16.9'N 109o44.8'W

Location: At sea, enroute from the Sea of Cortez to Islas Revillagigedos (Socorro Island).

Weather: Hot (mid 80's), clear with 10 knots of wind and a long 4 - 5 foot northwest swell.

Water: Water temp and vis unknown but it is very "blue" when you look over the side.

Comments: It's a beautiful day at sea with a nice easy ride. It doesn't look like any of our guests are feeling ill at all. I'm finding it very hypnotizing to sit in the Captain's chair on the bridge watching the flying fish scooting along the tops of the waves, the many different kinds of birds out here and the odd dolphin or marlin swim past. It's lovely! We should arrive at San Benedicto at 0730 tomorrow morning for our first Revillagigedo's dive of the season. Needless to say that we are all very excited. Captain Mike
Scuba diving in the Sea of Cortez 2006-11-08

Position: 24o23.4'N 110o22.0'W

Location: Enroute from scuba diving at Suwamee Reef to Los Islotes in the Sea of Cortez

Weather: Air temp low 80's, 10 knot westerly Corumel wind, calm seas with a 1 foot chop.

Water: Water temp 81oF, visibility 75 feet.

Comments: Just wrapped up 2 great dives on Suwamee Reef. Our guests were joking that they didn't enjoy the dive as they couldn't see any of the coral or reef because there were too many fish in the way. Millions and millions of fish by their estimate. Anchored at Bonanza Beach last night. Half the guests went out for a nice night dive on a closeby reef. Everyone else jumped into the inflatable skiff and went for a moon and starlit walk along the beautiful white sand beach. Captain Mike.
Scuba dive with whale sharks in the Sea of Cortez 2006-11-07

Position: 24o14.3'N 110o23.2'W

Location: Enroute from El Mogote to the wreck of the Salvatierra

Weather: Air temp low 80's, clear skies (there might be one little cloud) 2 foot chop and 15 knot norte wind

Water: Water temp 81oF, visibility unknown.

Comments: Spent the first morning of this trip working in conjunction with Baja Expeditions to find and scuba dive with whale sharks off El Mogote in the Sea of Cortez. We had a fantastic whale shark encounter on last week's trip with our guests literally backing out of the way of an oblivious whale shark intent on slurping up his dinner right beside the divers. Disappointingly, we weren't able to find a whale shark this morning despite 2 hours of diligent searching. My hope is that they have moved on to the Revillagigedos and are waiting for us down there!! We'll definitely try again later in the trip. Captain Mike
Anchored at La Reyna, Sea of Cortez 2006-11-03

Position: 24o25.9'N 109o57.9'W

Location: Anchored at La Reyna, Sea of Cortez after a fabulous day of diving Suwamee Reef yesterday.

Weather: Hot (mid 80's), the north wind has dropped and the seas have calmed down to a 3 foot chop.

Water: Water temp 82oF. Visibility 100 feet plus (seems like forever).

Comments: I think I had my best dive day in the Sea of Cortez ever yesterday with a fabulous splash on Suwamee Reef close by Espiritu Santo. Suwamme is a very colourful reef surrounded by white sand. I was swimming along when I came across 2 California sealions lounging on the bottom - I couldn't believe it, they were literally stretched out and snoozing on the sand as if they were suntanning at the beach. It was hilarious. The resident garden eels didn't seem quite as appreciative though. The thing about Suwamee Reef is the amazing biomass of fish - there are so many that it is literally mind numbing with immense schools of different kinds of fish swimming in every direction and jacks and barracuda and sealions darting in and out chasing the little guys. Absolutely unbelievable. What a great day. Captain Mike.
Larry T, the Orcaman!

It is not the pain of being in the storm, it is the joy of dancing in the rain!!!!!

Oh I Lobster, but I never Flounder!! Well I guess I did Flounder on the 2007 New Year's trip, but I have SURVIVED!!!

#261 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts

Posted 14 November 2006 - 10:03 AM

Hey everyone,

we have a diver who is arriving in Cabo a day early and then leaving a day late who we are making arrangements for. Does anyone else need us to make arrangements for them as well?

#262 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,590 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 14 November 2006 - 10:58 AM

Payment Update:

1. Ali aka alikat got your nitrox payment via paypal plus your 3% paypal fee... :thankyou: !
2. Bill aka greyfins got your last check #3603 too! :cool1:
3. Henry aka ScubaHawk got your ck #1944
4. Tara aka TaraTerrie got your cc payment updated! :cheerleader:

Forms Update:

Fingrabber will be posting this later this morning and updating the thread. PLEASE send her your boat info as well as the survey and waiver ASAP if you have not done so already. Not doing so could result in you not getting custom clearance in time for our departure next week.

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#263 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts

Posted 14 November 2006 - 01:37 PM

I need to get the following documents from ya'll:

'Hawk and Critterwatcher - I need your signed waivers faxed to 214-350-2558.

orcaman - I need your survey and waiver so I can complete the rooming assignments

if anyone on this trip has not sent in their boat documents, I must have those no later than noon tomorrow so I can get the information to the boat by Close of Business today (5pm CST) or you may not get customs clearance for your trip

#264 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,590 posts

Posted 14 November 2006 - 01:45 PM

Correction on Kim's post...it is Close of Business Today as the docs were due to the boat TODAY but they have given us an extention until tomorrow am. kamala

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#265 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts

Posted 14 November 2006 - 06:40 PM

Docs Update!

We now have everyone's documents for this trip! Thanks to everyone for being so diligent :cheerleader:

#266 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,590 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 08:48 AM

Hey Larry! Great report! That sounds even more fabulous than I imagined! And the air and water temps are great! Low 80's for both is perfect! -ww

formerly...

#267 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,590 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 08:49 AM

Docs Update!

We now have everyone's documents for this trip! Thanks to everyone for being so diligent :hugs:

And :diver: Fingrabber for doing such a great job getting all the details organized for us! We :dance: you! -ww

formerly...

#268 barracudababe

barracudababe

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 59 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver
  • Logged Dives:300+

Posted 16 November 2006 - 05:29 PM

The first thread doesn't have me down as having paid for Nitrox, the funds were sent together with the check for the NC trip.

Just wanted to make sure it was all okay so their wasn't problems when we get there.

Thanks

#269 barracudababe

barracudababe

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 59 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue Diver
  • Logged Dives:300+

Posted 16 November 2006 - 05:44 PM

And just one more question for you ww.....

How much is a good amount to plan for tips for the crew, just so I make sure to have enough cash on hand?

#270 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,590 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 05:50 PM

The first thread doesn't have me down as having paid for Nitrox, the funds were sent together with the check for the NC trip.

Just wanted to make sure it was all okay so their wasn't problems when we get there.

Thanks

Yep you are right...got it fixed! Thank you! kamala

formerly...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users