• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Hurricane Rita to parallel Katrina - Houston

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#1 DandyDon

DandyDon

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox / Scientific / Rescue / TDI Decompression
  • Logged Dives:351 dives, mostly ocean

Posted 19 September 2005 - 10:27 AM

Hurricane Rita to parallel Katrina - Florida Keys to Houston...?

Looks like she's running a bit south of Katrina's path, with expectations of slamming the Florida Keys, then crossing The Bathtub to hit Houston with extra energy pulled from the hot Gulf of Texas.

Gawd, but I'd hate to be on the Overseas Hiway today. It's bad enough getting out of their on Sunday, but with a major evacuation - wow. I hope it's one-way out on both sides of the road, and I'm sure that many are being sent to Car Sound Road from Key Largo.

My Houston friends tell me that they have not had a bad hit since 1983 and today's general population doesn't remember how to prepare and survive. I guess that those over 40 who have lived there all their lives might, but the metro area has grown so much, it won't be the same. With much of the swamp we call The City of Houston below 20 feet elevation, I guess we can expect the possibilities that a storm surge to push water up the channel and bayous and flood the concrete jungle.

For quick advice, see: http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/
(1) Get ply-board, duct tape, tools, bottled water, canned foods, plastic sewage bags, bleach, etc. today!!
(2) Book hotels inland now for Thursday night - all weekend.
(3) Beat the rush out on Thursday. The escape routes may be full on Friday. Take the water, food, zip locks and sewage bags, and bleach with you.

How far does one need to go to escape flooding? I wouldn't know? I remember getting heavy rains from Carla in 61, and I'm 600 miles away, 3,000 feet higher...

Edited by DandyDon, 19 September 2005 - 09:14 PM.

What would Patton do...? Posted Image

Yeah I know: I've been branded a non-group person - doesn't play well with others. I am so upset. Posted Image Let me know if you want to have some fun, without the drama - I'm good for that.

#2 ScubaPunk

ScubaPunk

Houston HH Planner + Angel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,029 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, NITROX
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 19 September 2005 - 01:34 PM

Most hotels are still booked to capacity with Hurricane Katrina victims. Get your plan in place early.

#3 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 19 September 2005 - 01:37 PM

It looks like it's heading to the Astrodome. If you wanna fly this way, I have plenty of floor space.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#4 Mitch0129

Mitch0129

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts
  • Cert Level:OW, AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:290

Posted 19 September 2005 - 05:42 PM

Houston has not been hit by a storm of any real strength (category-3 or higher) since Alicia in '83, compared to Katrina, that one was small storm. Before that, it was Carla in '61.

According to the latest projections, it will strike the middle Texas Gulf Coast between Corpus Christi and the Louisiana border either Friday evening or Saturday morning. They are already getting ready to evacuate Galveston Island.

If it comes this way and is a major storm, I will be heading to my brother's place on the far NW side of Houston then we will probably either head to Waco or Dallas; One of our brothers lives in Waco, another brother and our sister live in the Dallas area.

One way or another, I will keep this group posted where I go should I leave the Houston area because of the storm.
-Mitch-

#5 Guest_Sea Urchin_*

Guest_Sea Urchin_*
  • Guests

Posted 19 September 2005 - 05:47 PM

Mitch and Sandy,

You are welcome at my house anytime...storm or no storm...and stay for HH Friday.

Que :fish2:

#6 ScubaPunk

ScubaPunk

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,029 posts

Posted 19 September 2005 - 06:47 PM

Mitch and Sandy,

You are welcome at my house anytime...storm or no storm...and stay for HH Friday.
Que :fish2:

Thank you Que. That is so sweet of you. As I have said many times before, divers are just the best kind of people!

1) Get ply-board, duct tape, tools, bottled water, canned foods, plastic sewage bags, bleach, etc. today!!
(2) Book hotels inland now for Thursday night - all weekend.
(3) Beat the rush out on Thursday. The escape routes may be full on Friday. Take the water, food, zip locks and sewage bags, and bleach with you.

Thanks Dandy Don. That is a good web site, I have been watching it on and off all day. Their projected route pretty much puts my house in line for a direct hit! I stopped by my local grocery store today on the way home from work and the water and bleach were already sold out. There were also some pretty long lines at the gas station, and the storm is still 4 days away.

My plan is to be gone long before they issue any stinkin evacuation! Get ready Dallas, my evacuation route heads your way. :fish:

#7 Terri

Terri

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,819 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 19 September 2005 - 06:53 PM

Empty bedroom waiting for you 'punk!
'I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead'...JB

#8 cmt489

cmt489

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,346 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:75+

Posted 19 September 2005 - 06:54 PM

Come to Canada! Seems we never have natural disasters up here (although they say we will get a big quake in Vancouver one day...)

#9 ScubaPunk

ScubaPunk

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,029 posts

Posted 19 September 2005 - 07:06 PM

Empty bedroom waiting for you 'punk!

:fish2: I love all you guys! :fish:

I do have a cousin that lives in Dallas, so I'm covered. But your offer of help really means a lot to me.

Edited by ScubaPunk, 19 September 2005 - 07:08 PM.

#10 cmt489

cmt489

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,346 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:75+

Posted 19 September 2005 - 07:07 PM

In all seriousness Sandy, we are thinking of you and wishing you the best!

#11 ScubaPunk

ScubaPunk

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,029 posts

Posted 19 September 2005 - 07:11 PM

In all seriousness Sandy, we are thinking of you and wishing you the best!

:fish2: Thank you. I hope it takes a turn soon, but I really don't want to wish it on anyone else either. I'm sure things will be ok, but I'm not taking any chances.

#12 DandyDon

DandyDon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts

Posted 19 September 2005 - 07:52 PM

Houston has not been hit by a storm of any real strength (category-3 or higher) since Alicia in '83, compared to Katrina, that one was small storm. Before that, it was Carla in '61.

According to the latest projections, it will strike the middle Texas Gulf Coast between Corpus Christi and the Louisiana border either Friday evening or Saturday morning. They are already getting ready to evacuate Galveston Island.

If it comes this way and is a major storm, I will be heading to my brother's place on the far NW side of Houston then we will probably either head to Waco or Dallas; One of our brothers lives in Waco, another brother and our sister live in the Dallas area.

One way or another, I will keep this group posted where I go should I leave the Houston area because of the storm.

Actually, I don't think you've had anything stronger than a Cat-1 since Alicia in 83.

Cat-1: Winds 74-95 mph - I'd be impressed!!

Cat-2: Winds 96-110 mph - OMG!

Cat-3: Winds 111-130 mph - you're kidding me, right?

Cat-4: Winds 131-155 mph - and Florida people go back again?

Cat-5: Winds greater than 155 mph - that is a very big tornado!!

I certainly hope it loses steam and arrives as a Cat-1. The Cat-4 that ruined Galveston in 1900 is what made Houston evolve as a replacement port.

Good luck all...!!

Yeah I know: I've been branded a non-group person - doesn't play well with others. I am so upset. Posted Image Let me know if you want to have some fun, without the drama - I'm good for that.

#13 Mitch0129

Mitch0129

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts
  • Cert Level:OW, AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:290

Posted 19 September 2005 - 11:07 PM

Folks, sorry I have not responded sooner to my prior post but I was over at a friend's house watching the Cowboys on Monday Night Football. Anyway ...

Que, thanks for your offer. :P As I said, I have one brother that lives in Waco plus another brother that lives in Lewisville just outside of Dallas and a sister that lives in Dallas near Farmers Branch. If I leave the Houston area, I will be at one of those three places. Nonetheless, the offers and the well-wishes from the rest of you do mean a lot.

Don, we have not been hit by anything harder than a Cat-1 since Alicia although Tropical Storm Allison dumped a ton (and I mean A TON!!!) of rain on us four years ago. The flooding around here was unreal.

Sandy, if it comes out our way and it is anything stronger than a Cat-3, please promise us that you will get the hell out of there. According to the flood projections, if a Katrina-like storm hits Galveston, League City will get it really hard.

As I write this, I still have not talked to my brother here in Houston to see what he and his wife will do but will in the morning.
-Mitch-

#14 DandyDon

DandyDon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts

Posted 20 September 2005 - 09:55 AM

Looks like she's maybe going to swing south a little today. Of course, this far out - who knows? I'm sure you folks on the coast know how to prepare?

Good luck to all...

#15 Sonny Beaches

Sonny Beaches

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts
  • Board Status:I be here
  • Cert Level:aow-nitrox
  • Logged Dives:over 100

Posted 20 September 2005 - 12:03 PM

Well rihgt now it Looks like it coming to Visit ME :teeth: per Noaa, on Friday night. Pulling boats out of the water for customers, starting to pack up the shop, Cutting plywood for the NEW Windows I just put in weeks ago, Hauling out my boat and Dragster , and the Mustang, tonight to about 90 miles north, and headed to San MArcos Area or Austin area, Thrusday Morning to Afternoon., But packing my dive gear to be ready to got o FIGI next month..

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users