• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Hurricane Rita to parallel Katrina - Houston

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#16 leaudaustin

leaudaustin

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 84 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, EAN
  • Logged Dives:51

Posted 20 September 2005 - 02:17 PM

... although Tropical Storm Allison dumped a ton (and I mean A TON!!!) of rain on us four years ago. The flooding around here was unreal.

If I recall rightly, the worst of that flooding turned out to be the unbelievable mosquito blooms that resulted. They concentration was so great that they couldn't be kept out of hospital ventilation shafts and were causing a real health hazard. Or so I heard on the tele, since I'm in Austin.

#17 Marvel

Marvel

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,057 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 20 September 2005 - 02:24 PM

Well, the worst is past us over on the east coast of Florida although the Keys are still getting hammered pretty good. You guys take care of yourselves there in Houston & its surrounding areas. Looks as if Rita is heading right toward you- IF she doesn't swerve in some other direction the way some recent hurricanes have :wakawaka:

Posted Image

Edited by Marvel, 20 September 2005 - 04:32 PM.

Marvel

"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C. S. Lewis

Posted Image

#18 cmt489

cmt489

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,346 posts
  • Logged Dives:75+

Posted 20 September 2005 - 03:59 PM

This is great news Marvel! I will keep my fingers crossed for you!

#19 DandyDon

DandyDon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox / Scientific / Rescue / TDI Decompression
  • Logged Dives:351 dives, mostly ocean

Posted 21 September 2005 - 08:04 AM

Rita is now a Cat-4 and strengthening. Texas landfall is expected Friday night late, so the panic will probably be Friday. I encouraged my dive buddy there again to get her kin out by Thursday morning.

There was a bad construction zone bottleneck on the way to Hunstville a few weeks ago. I do hope they're opening that up now.
What would Patton do...? Posted Image

Yeah I know: I've been branded a non-group person - doesn't play well with others. I am so upset. Posted Image Let me know if you want to have some fun, without the drama - I'm good for that.

#20 drdiver

drdiver

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts
  • Cert Level:OWSI (inactive)
  • Logged Dives:250+

Posted 21 September 2005 - 10:17 AM

Texas landfall is expected Friday night late, so the panic will probably be Friday.

have to say, I've been through 4 hurricanes on the coast and I've never seen where people panicked. Could happen I guess, but I haven't seen it.
There are old divers and there are bold divers, but there ain't no old, bold divers.

#21 Mitch0129

Mitch0129

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts
  • Cert Level:OW, AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:290

Posted 21 September 2005 - 10:35 AM

For what it is worth, I will be getting the hell out of Dodge this evening. Right now, as I write, it is already a major cat-4 storm with sustained winds of 145 mph. By the time it makes landfall Friday evening/Saturday morning, it will be a cat-5. Even if there is no major damage where I live (NW Houston area), I suspect we will be without power for several days anyway so it is just as well I get out while I can.

I will be staying with my sister in Dallas and I will check in once I get up there. Looking on the plus side, I will be able to come to the Happy Hour on Friday. :lmao:
-Mitch-

#22 Marvel

Marvel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,057 posts
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 21 September 2005 - 11:38 AM

VERY wise decision, Mitch- I hope others follow your lead! Good luck to all of you & you will all be in my prayers.
Marvel

"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C. S. Lewis

Posted Image

#23 DandyDon

DandyDon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox / Scientific / Rescue / TDI Decompression
  • Logged Dives:351 dives, mostly ocean

Posted 21 September 2005 - 11:38 AM

Texas landfall is expected Friday night late, so the panic will probably be Friday.

have to say, I've been through 4 hurricanes on the coast and I've never seen where people panicked. Could happen I guess, but I haven't seen it.

Hope not, but we still have Katrina fever running strong in some. The good part is that more will pay attention to the fact that this is not a Cat-1 and a time for a party.

Should the rest of Texas look for new places to house refugees? Hope not
What would Patton do...? Posted Image

Yeah I know: I've been branded a non-group person - doesn't play well with others. I am so upset. Posted Image Let me know if you want to have some fun, without the drama - I'm good for that.

#24 drdiver

drdiver

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 21 September 2005 - 11:55 AM

I think Katrina has made people and the government be more proactive. So less likelihood of panic--we all hope. On the other hand, both of my sisters (one in Houston and one in Corpus) are both planning to stay put.... but they both went through Carla and Celia (and a few others)

Edited by drdiver, 21 September 2005 - 11:55 AM.

There are old divers and there are bold divers, but there ain't no old, bold divers.

#25 zendiver

zendiver

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,082 posts
  • Cert Level:AI
  • Logged Dives:1011

Posted 21 September 2005 - 12:14 PM

i was just at lunch and I already see the panick in peoples faces. Gas stations are running out of fuel, Sams, Kroger, HEB were ALL out of water, batteries, candles and such. I-45 as far North and South as I could see, was bumper to bumper traffic. I over heard one lady at Kroger saying that she took her kids to the airport to send them Grandmas and it took her 3 hours to get to the airport. We are approximately 15 miles from IAH......so Mitch, if you are thinking about heading to Dallas, buddy stay of I-45 cause you may make it there by Friday.

I wish all my friends in the Southern part of Houston the best of luck....if you can, get out of there, quickly. When Alicia hit in 83, this area that I live in, 35 miles North of Houston, was without power for almost 2 weeks, water and gas for almost a week (from what I have been told).

GOD SPEED!
-ZD
[color=blue]Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body;
But rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--"WOW--What a ride!"

#26 drdiver

drdiver

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 21 September 2005 - 12:33 PM

i was just at lunch and I already see the panick in peoples faces.

Man, that is sad to hear. Understandable, but still rough. My prayers go out to them.
Getting panicked doesn't help at all.

#27 drdiver

drdiver

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 21 September 2005 - 01:19 PM

Seas are at only 3 feet in the Flower Gardens, but the barometer is starting to fall. She's working her way into the Gulf for sure. Winds now at 150 mph.

#28 zendiver

zendiver

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,082 posts
  • Cert Level:AI
  • Logged Dives:1011

Posted 21 September 2005 - 02:31 PM

Seas are at only 3 feet in the Flower Gardens, but the barometer is starting to fall. She's working her way into the Gulf for sure. Winds now at 150 mph.

Doc, as of 3:30pm CST, Rita was upgraded to a CAT 5 hurricane and the winds are still rising from the now current 167mph. The prediction for landfall was around 4am on Saturday morning but has been moved up to Friday afternoon.

I just heard, not more than 5 minutes ago, that as of 6am Thursday morning, if you are in a flood zone or a storm surge area in the Houston area, MANDATORY evacuation will be enforced.
[color=blue]Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body;
But rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--"WOW--What a ride!"

#29 landlocked

landlocked

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:200

Posted 21 September 2005 - 02:53 PM

I realize I'm really far away from you guys, but if anyone needs a place to stay or anything else, please let me know. Louisville is quite a distance from Houston/Galveston but there's plenty of room at my house.

Everyone be safe. I'll sure be thinking about you.

mandi

#30 drdiver

drdiver

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,013 posts

Posted 21 September 2005 - 04:57 PM

Latest update from National Hurricane Center puts Rita at the fifth most intense hurricane on record in terms of atmospheric pressure drop.

My niece is still trying to get out of Friendswood (in between Houston and Galveston).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users