• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Spiegel Grove Dive

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 Marvel

Marvel

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,057 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 09 May 2004 - 04:18 PM

So, stubborn & tenacious as I am, I went back down to the keys to dive yesterday. Went out on the same boat with a different group of people. The seas were about the same- 4-6 according to the boat captain but did not seem nearly as rough to me. We got out to the Grove, everyone suited up with no problem (including me) & went down the mooring line to the Grove.
Despite the seas above, there was little or no current on the wreck & we proceded to take a nice, leisurely swim from bow to stern. As always, I was agog at the sight of this magnificent wreck & just relished swimming along peering into the decks & looking at all the "stuff" protruding from the top of the deck. For those of you that may not know, the Grove sinking did not go so well & instead of landing upright in the sand, it wound up on it's side. It's also a relatively new artificial reef & doesn't have a whole heck of a lot of growth on it yet. The last time that I was there, it was teeming with fishes but, alas, not so this time. Visability was not the greatest- about 40 feet.
Four of us went down together, two with cameras, so although we stayed relatively close, the shutterbugs were one pairing & my buddy & I another. After going around to the visible screw for photo ops, we all headed back. My buddy & one of the others went into one of the decks but the other diver signaled that he needed to head back in. We signaled the others of the change & headed back to the bow a little more quickly. My new buddy signaled that he was getting very low on air & asked me how much I had- around 1500 by then. We proceded to ascend up the line to 15 feet when, he asked to share air for the safety stop. So, I gave him my reg & switched to my octo for the duration of the stop. He then went back to his own air & we proceeded to the stern & got back in the boat. Because he was almost out, I let him go first of course. Took the fins off while I was waiting & looped them around my wrists (thanks Walter). It actually made it easier to get back in the boats in those rough seas because I didn't have to struggle to hand them up to somone while clinging to the ladder for dear life. I did get caught by an unexpected swell & my masked met the ladder briefly (ouch) but no biggie. It turned out that the guy that ran low on air had a malfunction in the hose that inflates the BC. None of us saw any telltale bubbles to give it away early.He fixed it in time for the second dive.
Second dive was out on French's Reef at the ledges. Just a nice leisurely dive, watching our buddies take photos & floating along. My buddy took the lead & actually lead us off onto one of the fingers unknowingly. I tried to tell him but underwater communication does have its limits & I just let it go. It turned out nicely in the end because even though we missed some of the critters the others saw, we also enjoyed the solitude of being the only four around. As usual for me, the water was too cold (80 on the SG & 79 on the reef) so, I came up shaking like a leaf & covered in hives both dives- is the water EVER going to get warm???? :helpsmily:
We were scheduled for the afternoon trip on the boat but I opted out, knowing that my body would not be able to take the cold for two more dives. Instead, I spent a nice, leisurely afternoon hanging out near the dock & at a nearby outdoor restaurant. Oh, and a little side trip to Diver's Direct- no I didn't spend a dime!

Edited by Marvel, 09 May 2004 - 04:23 PM.

Marvel

"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C. S. Lewis

Posted Image

#2 WisconsinGal

WisconsinGal

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:70+ and counting

Posted 09 May 2004 - 04:41 PM

Great Report Marvel!

I'd love to get back down to the Keys one of these days.

Thanks for Sharing :helpsmily:

WG

#3 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 09 May 2004 - 05:16 PM

I'm glad you had fun!

Did you travel the entire length of the wreck?
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#4 DandyDon

DandyDon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox / Scientific / Rescue / TDI Decompression
  • Logged Dives:351 dives, mostly ocean

Posted 09 May 2004 - 05:16 PM

Yeah, but - how do you go into a big dive store and not spend money. I can't do that.
What would Patton do...? Posted Image

Yeah I know: I've been branded a non-group person - doesn't play well with others. I am so upset. Posted Image Let me know if you want to have some fun, without the drama - I'm good for that.

#5 Marvel

Marvel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,057 posts

Posted 09 May 2004 - 06:05 PM

Yeah, but - how do you go into a big dive store and not spend money. I can't do that.

Easy, none to spend!
Marvel

"I believe in Christianity as I believe that the sun has risen: not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C. S. Lewis

Posted Image

#6 Marvel

Marvel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,057 posts

Posted 09 May 2004 - 06:08 PM

I'm glad you had fun!

Did you travel the entire length of the wreck?

Yes, "There and back again" (from what source?)Wonderful dive- my friends told me that the Duane was actually better- now I've got to save my sheckels & got back to dive that!
Marvel

Posted Image

#7 Marvel

Marvel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,057 posts

Posted 09 May 2004 - 06:09 PM

Great Report Marvel!

Thanks for Sharing :D

WG

Marla, come down anytime you can!!!
Marvel

Posted Image

#8 mischievous

mischievous

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,304 posts
  • Cert Level:0
  • Logged Dives:0

Posted 09 May 2004 - 06:23 PM

yea! i'm glad you enjoyed yourself! thanks for the post.

#9 WisconsinGal

WisconsinGal

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:70+ and counting

Posted 09 May 2004 - 06:46 PM

Great Report Marvel! 

Thanks for Sharing :D

WG

Marla, come down anytime you can!!!

Thanks Marvel!! I'll definitely do that!

#10 IRONPIG

IRONPIG

Getting started

• Pip
  • 49 posts
  • Cert Level:open water and nitrox
  • Logged Dives:45

Posted 09 May 2004 - 07:12 PM

Thanks for the post Marvel.Im really looking foward to diving the spiegel and duane. :D

#11 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 09 May 2004 - 08:58 PM

WOW! That's a huge wreck to run the entire length twice.

I also prefer the Duane. Actually, I enjoy the Eagle better than either.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#12 DandyDon

DandyDon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox / Scientific / Rescue / TDI Decompression
  • Logged Dives:351 dives, mostly ocean

Posted 10 May 2004 - 09:42 AM

WOW! That's a huge wreck to run the entire length twice.

I also prefer the Duane. Actually, I enjoy the Eagle better than either.

I think there was a misunderstanding. Doubt that any can go the length and back on a 80 cf tank and without violating a computer on any mix - unless they use a skooter and skip over sights.

I like the Eagle more, too. The Bibb has more dangers, but if you're careful and on 28-30% and a 100 cf tank, neat. Sorry we didn't have time for the Thunderbolt and A.Busch last time I was there.
What would Patton do...? Posted Image

Yeah I know: I've been branded a non-group person - doesn't play well with others. I am so upset. Posted Image Let me know if you want to have some fun, without the drama - I'm good for that.

#13 Big O

Big O

Meeting folks

• Inactive
  • PipPipPip
  • 199 posts
  • Cert Level:rescue nitrox
  • Logged Dives:300

Posted 07 July 2004 - 07:56 AM

:teeth: :birthday:

Nice report, I had the dive from hell last year on the SG a few days after Walter myself and others had such cool dives on the Duane and Eagle.

Dave
UH-HUH

#14 triggerfish

triggerfish

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,712 posts
  • Cert Level:goddess.
  • Logged Dives:never enough

Posted 07 July 2004 - 10:43 AM

hey sistuh!!
sounds like the perfect road trip for us one of these days!

and marla....love the new picture! :cool2:

#15 Marvel

Marvel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,057 posts

Posted 07 July 2004 - 10:48 AM

hey sistuh!!
sounds like the perfect road trip for us one of these days!

and marla....love the new picture! :teeth:

When? Let's set a date, Sistuh!!!! :cool2:
Marvel

Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users