• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Mask leakage and mustaches

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 raizyr

raizyr

Getting started

• Pip
  • 27 posts
  • Cert Level:none yet, open water planned this summer

Posted 10 May 2004 - 08:37 AM

Okay, so this past weekend, I did the confined water portion of SDI's OW certification.

I have a mustache that I trimmed short (normally keep it short, but I made sure to get it short just before the class thinking it would have less chance of breaking the mask seal).

The first day, I had very little problem getting my mask to seal. However I confess to forgetting that I had it on and exhaling through my nose a bit too much.
The second day, I could not get it to seal at all! To make it worse, the chlorine in the pool was outrageous. My eyes burned so bad.
Third day was kinda in between. I had some initial trouble with leaking, and then for a good 15 mins or so I got lucky and got a good seal.

the instructor and dive master had some suggestions such as silicone grease (where do you get that anyway?), leaving the 'stache a bit longer so that the hairs would lie down easier, or shaving down a bit under the nose (which I tried some the third day, but I didnt want to look too funny).

Anyone have the magic solution? And I think I look REALLY funny with it shaved off so I dont really wanna do that :clapping:

-Chris

#2 IRONPIG

IRONPIG

Getting started

• Pip
  • 49 posts
  • Cert Level:open water and nitrox
  • Logged Dives:45

Posted 10 May 2004 - 09:23 AM

All I can say is shave it.Its the only thing that worked for me.It grows back fast,and will probably make you look 5- 10 years younger without it :clapping:

#3 kevininpo

kevininpo

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 306 posts

Posted 10 May 2004 - 09:30 AM

get a self purging mask...one with a purge valve in the nose and exhale through your nose all the time...l always have stubble and this is my solution to the problem
if it ain't broke, fix it till it is
what if the hokey pokey really IS what it's all about?

#4 DandyDon

DandyDon

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox / Scientific / Rescue / TDI Decompression
  • Logged Dives:351 dives, mostly ocean

Posted 10 May 2004 - 09:30 AM

...silicone grease (where do you get that anyway?)...

Dive stores sell it - big surprise?! I buy mine at a hardware store; not many carry it, but some do - in plumbing supplies. Twice as big of a tub for half the money. I use it on my stach, sometime along the bottom skirt of the mask, on o-rings for lights and cameras. I aklways carry 2 tubs, in different places. Really a MUST HAVE over all. Some divers use Chapstick on their staches, but I just use this. It will build up and attract debris, though; clean the mask skirt well every day.

...leaving the 'stache a bit longer so that the hairs would lie down easier...

Yep, trimming it short gives the remaining hair more body to cause leaks.

...or shaving down a bit under the nose (which I tried some the third day, but I didnt want to look too funny).

I do that, too, on trips. Not that noticeable, and fills back in quickly.
What would Patton do...? Posted Image

Yeah I know: I've been branded a non-group person - doesn't play well with others. I am so upset. Posted Image Let me know if you want to have some fun, without the drama - I'm good for that.

#5 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 10 May 2004 - 09:34 AM

I shaved mine off about 14 years ago and solved my mask sealing problem. I'd worn one for many years. Of course the REAL reason I shaved it off was for a lady (my SO of 7 1/2 years... AFTER I shaved)! No real problems sealing since then and I look much younger (who am I fooling?).

Can you see why I might have had a mask sealing problem? (Anyone want to guess my age at that point?).

Posted Image

Dr. B.

Edited by drbill, 10 May 2004 - 09:41 AM.

#6 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 10 May 2004 - 09:52 AM

You can use silicone, I prefer to be clean.

I expect my mask to leak, it does. It's not a problem. I get more practice with mask clearing, it's a win - win situation. Seriously, I've been diving with a mustache for over 20 years and it's not an issue. You'll get used to it.

OK, so there is one trick you might consider, lower your mask a tad. It'll seal on your upper lip.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#7 RICHinNC

RICHinNC

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 434 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox

Posted 10 May 2004 - 09:54 AM

I have a beard and stach too....all I do on a dive trip is shave more under
the nose so that there is at least a quarter inch or so to seal on...sometimes it works and sometimes it doesnt....

my biggest problem is sinus drainage...arggg
The great thing about excruciating pain is....at least you know you are alive.

#8 Laura

Laura

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts
  • Board Status:Not on vacation (damn!)
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:You mean I have to log them, too?

Posted 10 May 2004 - 10:32 AM

A few of my bearded-buddies use vasoline to help seal leaks....

Laura
WWZD - What Would ZENA Do ??

#9 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts

Posted 10 May 2004 - 10:39 AM

Vasoline will work, but it will destroy the mask skirt over time.

DSSW,

WWW™

#10 DandyDon

DandyDon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox / Scientific / Rescue / TDI Decompression
  • Logged Dives:351 dives, mostly ocean

Posted 10 May 2004 - 11:04 AM

soline will work, but it will destroy the mask skirt over time.

He was trying to type: "Vasoline will work, but it will destroy the mask skirt over time, but missed 2 letters. Hate it when that happens. :dltears:
What would Patton do...? Posted Image

Yeah I know: I've been branded a non-group person - doesn't play well with others. I am so upset. Posted Image Let me know if you want to have some fun, without the drama - I'm good for that.

#11 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts

Posted 10 May 2004 - 11:53 AM

Thanks Don, I wouldn't have notice it, if you hadn't posted.

DSSW,

WWW™

#12 Coo's Toe

Coo's Toe

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 514 posts
  • Cert Level: DIR-F

Posted 10 May 2004 - 12:13 PM

I have a moustache and don't need to do anything at all, ie shaving it into funny shapes, using vaseline or silicone lube. I usually experiance no leaks, and when I do, it's usually from my hood, not my facial hair.

First thing to consider is that not all masks will work perfectly on every face. I'm assuming your LDS showed you what was improtant in selecting a mask, but if not, you should be able to try on a mask without using a strap. Inhale through your nose, and the mask should stay put and form a complete seal on your face, with zero leakage. If it doesn't, look for something that fits your face better.

I don't know if you're using a hood in your class, but if you are, make sure your hood isn't stuck under your mask skirt anywhere. Sometimes hoods need to be trimmed slightly to work right with bigger masks. Don't be afraid to trim yours if needed, that 1/4" of neoprene can make all the difference sometimes.

On the best of days, masks sometimes leak. Maybe because you're exhaling through your nose too much, maybe because you crack a big smile underwater, whatever. You need to develop good mask clearing skills so that the occaisional leak is no big deal.

#13 raizyr

raizyr

Getting started

• Pip
  • 27 posts
  • Cert Level:none yet, open water planned this summer

Posted 10 May 2004 - 12:20 PM

Yeah, I have no problem clearing the mask. Just that I was having to do it every 2-5 mins. Gets to be a real pain. Maybe I'll go back in and try out different masks to see if any seal better.

Thanks guys :teeth:

#14 Jro

Jro

Getting started

• Pip
  • 34 posts
  • Cert Level:OW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:Does the bathtub count?

Posted 11 May 2004 - 10:06 PM

I have a moustache and don't need to do anything at all, ie shaving it into funny shapes, using vaseline or silicone lube. I usually experiance no leaks, and when I do, it's usually from my hood, not my facial hair.

First thing to consider is that not all masks will work perfectly on every face. I'm assuming your LDS showed you what was improtant in selecting a mask, but if not, you should be able to try on a mask without using a strap. Inhale through your nose, and the mask should stay put and form a complete seal on your face, with zero leakage. If it doesn't, look for something that fits your face better.

Ditto...I've owned three different masks all of which worked very well for me, on the other hand, I've tried on over a dozen and most won't seal to my face (not sure if it's the mustache or the shape of my skull).

Another peice of advice I've seen posted in many places and I have used as well is to put a reg or snorkel in your mouth while trying on the mask (slight inhale, etc as detailed by CT).

Jeff

#15 jextract

jextract

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor, Divemaster, Nitrox, Rescue, Wreck, ...
  • Logged Dives:120ish

Posted 11 May 2004 - 10:16 PM

I'm thinking a little gasket sealer and a staple gun might just fix you right up!
"Because I accept the definition, does not mean I accept the defined." -- ScubaHawk
"Love is blind but lust likes lacy panties" -- SanDiegoCarol
"If you're gonna be dumb, you'd better be tough." -- Phillip Manor
"If I know the answer I'll tell you the answer, and if I don't I'll just respond cleverly." -- Donald Rumsfeld

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users