• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Great White Shark Migration Research

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 17 October 2005 - 12:10 PM

Reseachers have been tagging great white's to learn more about their migratory patterns and their mating behaviors, two areas of research in need of additional info.

Click here for an article regarding a recent trek made by a female great white named "Nicole." Definitely don't miss clicking on the "In Pictures" link!!!

...ok ok I might be a bit biased in that my favorite sea critters are sharks and this one shares my name. :usflag:
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#2 Cold_H2O

Cold_H2O

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,498 posts
  • Logged Dives:lost count but back to keeping a log.

Posted 17 October 2005 - 12:18 PM

Great information. Thanks DG. :usflag:
Well Behave Women Rarely Make History ~ Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Formerly known as gis_gal and name tattoo'd for a small bribe!

#3 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 17 October 2005 - 12:23 PM

Was on a scientific great white shark tagging expedition to Guadalupe Island last December with the Pfleger Institue for Environmental Research (PIER). Their work indicates sharks from the Baja and Alta California coasts may make migrations to the waters near Hawaii and Tahiti.

#4 Drgnfiend

Drgnfiend

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • Cert Level:Assistant Instructor
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 17 October 2005 - 12:33 PM

That's absolutely amazing.

#5 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic

Posted 17 October 2005 - 02:36 PM

Was on a scientific great white shark tagging expedition to Guadalupe Island last December with the Pfleger Institue for Environmental Research (PIER). Their work indicates sharks from the Baja and Alta California coasts may make migrations to the waters near Hawaii and Tahiti.

Very cool Bill! Do any of them make their way...say...North??? :birthday:
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#6 TraceMalin

TraceMalin

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 767 posts
  • Cert Level:Junior Jedi Knight
  • Logged Dives:6000+ (combined scuba & extended range freedives)

Posted 17 October 2005 - 03:20 PM

...ok ok I might be a bit biased in that my favorite sea critters are sharks and this one shares my name.  :birthday:

Yeah, but SHE knows how to spell! :birthday: (I'm dead meat now -- I was just trying to be "chum"my :) )

Want to check out something interesting as far as shark attack stats go? Check out the number of attacks in NJ compared to states like FL and Hawaii. When you compare coastlines, NJ has a lot of attacks for such a short stretch of sand. Where I surf around Sandy Hook and Belmar, I pass the town of Matawan, NJ where the 1916 shark attacks took place. It kinda sets a man to thinking...

The ISAF records 1 attack in Washington and 17 in Oregon. (Species not mentioned.)

Bill, I heard that as the population of seals grow in Hawaiian waters more great whites are being spotted there. Any input on that? True?

Edited by TraceMalin, 17 October 2005 - 03:24 PM.

Trace Malinowski
Technical Training Director
PDIC International

#7 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts

Posted 17 October 2005 - 03:24 PM

Hey Trace! Your Holiday present? YUM YUM YELLOW FINS!!!!!

#8 Cold_H2O

Cold_H2O

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,498 posts

Posted 17 October 2005 - 03:51 PM

Hey Trace! Your Holiday present? YUM YUM YELLOW FINS!!!!!

DG ~ I think we should pool funds and send Trace some lovely PINK fins, mask..etc.

I happen to know that the man is tired of diving all BLACK and would love a little color in his life. I think he mentioned that PINK is his FAVORITE color after black... :birthday:

Trace ~ Only one shark attack in WA.. Good to know. I wonder if PINK fins have anything to do with that?
:birthday:

#9 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts

Posted 17 October 2005 - 04:23 PM

Interestingly enough, the PINK/BLACK color combination has statistically shown to be invovled in less shark attacks than say, ALL BLACK!

Per the International Shark Attack File (ISAF):

Scroll down to see Color of Diving Victims' Gear and Clothing

:birthday: :birthday: :) :teeth: :teeth:

#10 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 17 October 2005 - 05:47 PM

Interestingly enough, the PINK/BLACK color combination has statistically shown to be invovled in less shark attacks than say, ALL BLACK!

And a damned good reason for that... how many people do you know who would dive in pink fins? For that matter, how many pink fins are there in the entire world?

#11 Cold_H2O

Cold_H2O

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,498 posts

Posted 17 October 2005 - 05:56 PM

And a damned good reason for that... how many people do you know who would dive in pink fins? For that matter, how many pink fins are there in the entire world?

hmmm Dr. Bill ~ I dive in PINK fins. :o At least for now. Considering going Stealth...

I guess this "cheese" stands alone again. :dltears:
Dang it.. I think I am starting to fit in nicely and someone has to step up and point out that NOPE, I am not blending in well. :whistle:

Must observe my local GPO's more. Learn their secrets.

I did hear that mfg's were no longer making pink dive gear. Not sure if that is true. Heard it while in a LDS.

Edited by gis_gal, 17 October 2005 - 06:42 PM.

#12 TraceMalin

TraceMalin

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 767 posts

Posted 17 October 2005 - 06:07 PM

Per the International Shark Attack File (ISAF):

Scroll down to see Color of Diving Victims' Gear and Clothing

:whistle: :o :taz: :o :D

I'll stick with the all BLACK. I'm not afraid of being eaten.

Trace
Trace Malinowski
PDIC International

#13 casematic

casematic

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • Cert Level:master
  • Logged Dives:200 +

Posted 17 October 2005 - 07:16 PM

I'll stick with the all BLACK. I'm not afraid of being eaten.

I figure that my seal like profile probably attracts them enough without adding the 'all black' look .... So if I see a shark, I'm going to be counting on their legendary sense of smell as a deterent (because I may soil my wetsuit if I see big teeth)... :whistle: Just kidding....

Actually I prefer color somewhere (and ideally everyone a little different) so that it is easier to recognize people in a group underwater... Plus it is easier to spot colors (especially the fluorescents) and contrasts from more distance and in lower visibility situations. :o :taz:

#14 TraceMalin

TraceMalin

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 767 posts

Posted 17 October 2005 - 07:35 PM

Actually I prefer color somewhere (and ideally everyone a little different) so that it is easier to recognize people in a group underwater... Plus it is easier to spot colors (especially the fluorescents) and contrasts from more distance and in lower visibility situations. 

Agreed, but how cool is this? And, your name gets to be on your tanks! :whistle:

Posted Image

Trace
Trace Malinowski
PDIC International

#15 casematic

casematic

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 152 posts
  • Cert Level:master
  • Logged Dives:200 +

Posted 17 October 2005 - 07:37 PM

Agreed, but how cool is this? And, your name gets to be on your tanks!

very cool.... and the name would keep you from a case of mistaken identity

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users