• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

CREATURE FEATURE - Cool Trivia!!

• Please log in to reply
365 replies to this topic

#1 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 19 October 2005 - 06:01 PM

I thought it would be fun to do a fun diving related Creature Feature Trivia game!*

CREATURE FEATURE 1

Name this sea creature:

There are more than 200 different species of jellyfish in the world. They come in a variety of sizes and colors. This jellyfish is the largest species of jellyfish - their bells (jellyfish's round, umbrella-like bodies) can reach 8 feet across and their tentacles can be more than 200 feet long! (you had better drink ALOT of water to "neutralize" this jelly's sting... :P )

*This thread was originally started in honor of Halloween, but it became so interesting- we continued it beyond Halloween! Thanks everyone for making this previously mini adventure super fun!*
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#2 jholley309

jholley309

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts
  • Cert Level:Open Water
  • Logged Dives:20-ish

Posted 19 October 2005 - 06:03 PM

Um, how about:

"The monster jellyfish that Jim will only look at from a loooooong way off!"

:P

Cheers!

Jim
Courage is not the absence of fear. Courage is what you do in spite of your fear.

Every man has fear. Any man who has no fear belongs in an institution. Or in Special Forces.

#3 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic

Posted 19 October 2005 - 06:07 PM

Good idea Jim! But sometimes divers don't see them before they feel the tentacles stinging on their face.... :P (yep, divers encounter them - so that's a hint)
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#4 blacktar

blacktar

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI OWSI, Normoxic Trimix, full cave
  • Logged Dives:700

Posted 19 October 2005 - 07:27 PM

My guess is the Lion's Mane Jelly. If I remember correctly, the large ones are found in the artic, and can be 60 years old.
BLACKTAR
"The edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who know where it is are those that have gone over." Hunter S. Thompson

#5 drbill

drbill

I spend too much time on line

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 19 October 2005 - 07:46 PM

Any species of jellyfish can reach this size if it hangs around in the cooling waters of the San Onofre, Diablo Canyon or other nuclear power generating plants; or in waters near certain top secret military waste dumping grounds.

Edited by drbill, 19 October 2005 - 07:47 PM.

#6 fbp

fbp

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 764 posts
  • Cert Level:Dive Master - Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:1000+

Posted 19 October 2005 - 10:36 PM

Yah,
Just read about the largest one in the Canadian Diver mag...

Lions Mane...
Right on blacktar,
but haven't seen them here... that big anyway...

Edited by fbp, 19 October 2005 - 10:37 PM.

fpoole
Diving & Gliding..
Hiking & Camping.
Shooting (photos) the Great Nor'West

www.poolesweb.com/

#7 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts

Posted 20 October 2005 - 11:53 AM

DING DING DING!!!! You are correct, it is the Lion's Mane jellyfish!! These fun little stingers are very prolific in Pacific Northwest waters! You know you've been hit when you're diving and all of a sudden instant burning pain. :-D They are beautiful to watch from a distance though!

CREATURE FEATURE 2

Name this sea creature:

When trying to escape a predator, this particular creature can eject its internal digestive organs (think wet spaghetti noodles) in order to distract and confuse the attacker while making its get-away. Once safe, the creature begins the process of regrowing the organs. Many varieties of species related to this creature are found in both warm and cold salt water. Gives new meaning to "puking your guts out" - now doesn't it... :D

This is actually an example of critter behavior I give to students for why they shouldn't touch sea life! :)

#8 ScubaHawk

ScubaHawk

Midwest HH Planner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,265 posts
  • Cert Level:Dive Master

Posted 20 October 2005 - 12:08 PM

The California Sea Cucumber. (Probably the only one of these I'm going to get.)

Just to throw one in - while we wait for the next installment.

CREATURE FEATURE 3

Name this sea creature:

This is the longest bony fish in the world, easily growing to 50' with a thin snake like body and horse like face it accounts for many sea-serpent sightings.

Edited by Dive_Girl, 21 October 2005 - 04:34 PM.

Take an SD trip - See old friends you have never met before!
Every existing thing is born without reason, prolongs itself out of weakness, and dies by chance. - Jean-Paul Sartre
I feel the urge, the urge to submerge! -ScubaHawk - Raptor of the Deep !
WHO DAT!!!!

#9 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts

Posted 20 October 2005 - 12:43 PM

EXCELLENT HAWK!!! :D

And thanks for adding one of your own! Who-hoo! I'll save my guess waiting for others (and I made a little edit to your post noting it's Creature Feature 3) Yeah!!! :)

#10 Latitude Adjustment

Latitude Adjustment

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts
  • Cert Level:EanX
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 20 October 2005 - 02:09 PM

Hawk, I was thinking Oar fish but the bodies are not snake thin.
I, Latitude Adjustment (insert log in name), do hereby swear, (politely), that I shall not hold SingleDivers, (SD), nor any SD poster, (real or imagined), liable, nor shall I seek legal restitution, (real or imagined), for any perceived, (real or imagined), offenses I may incur, (or Incurrrrrrrrrr on talk like a pirate day), that may or may not be posted on this or any SCUBA related board, (real or imagined), by anyone, (real or imagined), anywhere, (real or imagined). Further, I void any right to privacy, (real or imagined), as it may, or may not relate to any posting, (real or imagined), about me, to me, for me, because of me, all about me, my dog, my cat, my bird, my monkey, my family, (real or imagined), my friends, (real or imagined), or my world, (real or imagined).

By all that is wet, I do hereby swear, (politely), and attest, upon pain of never diving again, (real or imagined), that I understand and affirm, that I agree to the above.

_________________________________________(log in name signature)
Signed and Dated

#11 ScubaHawk

ScubaHawk

Midwest HH Planner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,265 posts
  • Cert Level:Dive Master

Posted 20 October 2005 - 02:57 PM

Hawk, I was thinking Oar fish but the bodies are not snake thin.

Oar Fish it is :lmao: - I said it had a thin, snake like body - not a snake thin body. Compared to it's length - it's thin.
Take an SD trip - See old friends you have never met before!
Every existing thing is born without reason, prolongs itself out of weakness, and dies by chance. - Jean-Paul Sartre
I feel the urge, the urge to submerge! -ScubaHawk - Raptor of the Deep !
WHO DAT!!!!

#12 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts

Posted 20 October 2005 - 03:07 PM

CREATURE FEATURE 4

Name this sea creature:

When threatened, this creature is capable of excreting a thick mucus from its sieve plate (also called the madreporite) located on the top surface of its body. It has been noted the slime apparently tastes very bad (what I want to know is WHO tasted it to make this notation!!! :lmao: ) And that's right folks you read it here. This creature "snots" its potential predators!!

#13 Latitude Adjustment

Latitude Adjustment

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts
  • Cert Level:EanX
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 21 October 2005 - 05:41 AM

Sounds like most members of the Atlantis Dive Club :D :lmao:
I, Latitude Adjustment (insert log in name), do hereby swear, (politely), that I shall not hold SingleDivers, (SD), nor any SD poster, (real or imagined), liable, nor shall I seek legal restitution, (real or imagined), for any perceived, (real or imagined), offenses I may incur, (or Incurrrrrrrrrr on talk like a pirate day), that may or may not be posted on this or any SCUBA related board, (real or imagined), by anyone, (real or imagined), anywhere, (real or imagined). Further, I void any right to privacy, (real or imagined), as it may, or may not relate to any posting, (real or imagined), about me, to me, for me, because of me, all about me, my dog, my cat, my bird, my monkey, my family, (real or imagined), my friends, (real or imagined), or my world, (real or imagined).

By all that is wet, I do hereby swear, (politely), and attest, upon pain of never diving again, (real or imagined), that I understand and affirm, that I agree to the above.

_________________________________________(log in name signature)
Signed and Dated

#14 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts

Posted 21 October 2005 - 12:04 PM

:D OK here's a hint.... :lmao:

Attached Images

• star.jpg

#15 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 21 October 2005 - 01:45 PM

OK here's a hint.... :teeth:

Hmmm... looks like a relative of the cushion stars or bat stars, but I'm not familiar with the species. Of course madreporite gave the group away early on. The only snotting I see around here is "sea snot."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users