• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

CREATURE FEATURE - Cool Trivia!!

• Please log in to reply
365 replies to this topic

#316 drbill

drbill

I spend too much time on line

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 01 April 2006 - 09:58 AM

Sigh, I don't deal in common (vulgar) names...

Creature Feature 51

This relative of the earthworm lives at the bottom of the deep blue sea (unless there is a plankton bloom, then it is green) in a 1-3" tube it cements together of sand grains.

At the opening of the tube it creates several "spokes" radiating out from the center like spokes in a bicycle wheel. These are also created from cemented grains of sand.

The worm then weaves a mucous net on the spokes and patiently waits until the net catches a lot of organic matter and other food. It then swallows the net, mucous and all, and starts the process over again.

#317 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 01 April 2006 - 12:48 PM

Then list both, it's just so many people starting out in scuba diving aren't going to remember scientific names or become as familiar with them as with common names. I have a hard time with them myself! :taz: Thanks so much and cool clue!! :taz:
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#318 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts

Posted 01 April 2006 - 01:43 PM

Then list both, it's just so many people starting out in scuba diving aren't going to remember scientific names or become as familiar with them as with common names. I have a hard time with them myself! :taz: Thanks so much and cool clue!! :taz:

Ah, my dear Dive_Girl... I was just joking. I rarely use scientific names in my columns (which lots of people read)... only in my scientific papers (which few read)!

#319 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts

Posted 04 April 2006 - 10:12 AM

Well, I can see we are not getting very far with this one (it is difficult... unless you think like I do, which fortunately for the world most people don't). I might suggest a little research on a fascinating website somewhere out there in cyberspace. Hint, hint!

#320 solodiver in nj

solodiver in nj

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts
  • Cert Level:aow
  • Logged Dives:+/-300 ? (not logged)

Posted 04 April 2006 - 10:19 AM

spoon worm?

#321 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts

Posted 04 April 2006 - 02:19 PM

spoon worm?

Not a name I know it by... do you have the scientific name for the one you are referring to?

#322 mantarraya

mantarraya

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:>100

Posted 04 April 2006 - 02:39 PM

the windmill worm
Back after a long absence - whew, too busy at work!

#323 Hipshot

Hipshot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,391 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver/Asst. Instructor
  • Logged Dives:>500

Posted 04 April 2006 - 05:25 PM

Serpulid?

#324 solodiver in nj

solodiver in nj

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 222 posts
  • Cert Level:aow
  • Logged Dives:+/-300 ? (not logged)

Posted 04 April 2006 - 09:09 PM

spoon worm?

Not a name I know it by... do you have the scientific name for the one you are referring to?

Spoon Worm- Urechis caupo?

#325 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 12:56 AM

the windmill worm

Ah, someone used their intellect (and my great clues). We have a whiner... oops, I mean winner!!! Congratulations. Your turn to fool us.

#326 mantarraya

mantarraya

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 06:30 AM

Hey, I take offense to the "whiner" slip - one thing I am definitely NOT!

Creature Feature 52

Here's one from my locale...
Last summer, during the morning hours of an entire week, the shallow beach waters on the west end of Galveston Island teemed with thousands of juveniles of this elasmobranch species as they fed on the greatly exploded (relative to normal) coquina mollusc population within the surf zone. The average disk size of these juveniles was 16-18 inches (at birth, disk size is about 14 inches). Individuals of this species eat the coquinas by crushing their shells with their terrazo-like tooth plates. These juveniles had no doubt recently migrated from Galveston Bay, where they were spawned. During the afternoon hours of the coquina-feeding frenzy, adult specimens of this species could be seen in the breaking waves of the 2nd and 3rd bar, some of which looked to have disk sizes of 3-5 ft (maximum recorded disk size for this species is 7 ft) The range of this species includes the eastern Atlantic Ocean, including Mauritania, Senegal, and Guinea. They are also located in the western Atlantic from southern New England to northern Florida (USA) and throughout the Gulf of Mexico, migrating to Trinidad, Venezuela, and Brazil. Hence, it is likely you may have also seen these creatures while diving.

This elasmobranch species population is believed to be increasing, partially due to the high predation of oyster beds, causing some marine conservation programs to promote commercial fishing of this species. Despite taste-test reports that their meat is tasty, no market exists for this species.

This species also differs from other elasmobranchs in its family in that it rarely rests on the bottom, and its spine is located on its tail in a position very close to its body, minimizing the chance that a human be injured from stepping on an individual. Nonetheless, very few were brave enough to venture into the Galveston surf during the 2005 coquina-feeding frenzy.

Technically there were 2 species of elasmobranchs participating in the feeding frenzy, but most were the species described above. If you can guess, the second species, I may have to send you a SD-appropriate T-shirt or something from Galveston.
[/size]

#327 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 09:13 AM

Just playing with words, my dear! No offense intended.

I must admit I'm not familiar with rays of your region, having never dived the Gulf and only rarely dived Florida and the Atlantic. Therefore I will guess that it might be the pelagic stingray, Pteroplatytrygon violacea.

#328 mantarraya

mantarraya

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 10:19 AM

Just playing with words, my dear! No offense intended.

I must admit I'm not familiar with rays of your region, having never dived the Gulf and only rarely dived Florida and the Atlantic. Therefore I will guess that it might be the pelagic stingray, Pteroplatytrygon violacea.

About time I got to stump a CA kelp biologist (who had the gall to call me a whiner even in jest) with some Gulf of Mexico critters (and we all know how much you love our balmy weather and shallow, but frequently turbid warm waters :birthday: ).

Yes, it is a ray, but different family for both primary and secondary species involved in the coquina-feeding frenzy.

Here is another historical hint about primary species involved in the feeding frenzy..

Rays of this species have poisonous stingers, but even in large groups they’re shy and not threatening. In 1608, Captain John Smith, an East Coast settler and explorer, learned about the nature of a this ray's sting. While Smith was spearing a ray with his sword near the Rappahannock River, the ray defended itself by stinging Smith in the shoulder. The pain was so terrible that the crew were convinced Smith was dying, so they dug a grave for him. But John Smith overcame the pain and felt well enough that evening to eat the ray for supper. The place where this happened is still known as Stingray Point.

Edited by lgrahamtx, 06 April 2006 - 08:15 AM.

#329 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts

Posted 05 April 2006 - 12:40 PM

In 1608, Captain John Smith, an East Coast settler and explorer, learned about the nature of a this ray's sting. While Smith was spearing a ray with his sword near the Rappahannock River, the ray defended itself by stinging Smith in the shoulder. The pain was so terrible that the crew were convinced Smith was dying, so they dug a grave for him. But John Smith overcame the pain and felt well enough that evening to eat the ray for supper. The place where this happened is still known as Stingray Point.[/color]

Yep, stump the stars!

Hey, Capt. John Smith was a relative of mine (at least so my Mom told me when I was a kid). Good to know he had an "interest" in marine life!

OK... I'll try another "educated" guess... Atlantic stingray?

#330 Hipshot

Hipshot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,391 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver/Asst. Instructor
  • Logged Dives:>500

Posted 05 April 2006 - 03:56 PM

Hey, Capt. John Smith was a relative of mine (at least so my Mom told me when I was a kid). Good to know he had an "interest" in marine life!

Captain John Smith of the Mayflower, or Captain John Smith of the Titanic?

Rick

:cool1:

Just kidding, Dr. Bill...I'd never make fun of your ancestry!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users