• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

CREATURE FEATURE - Cool Trivia!!

• Please log in to reply
365 replies to this topic

#76 drbill

drbill

I spend too much time on line

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 25 October 2005 - 11:49 PM

I know DrBill! I tried to think of a way to narrow down the playing field without giving away the answer I am looking for.

This creature is not a vertebrate.
HINT: "the male creature releases its sperm"

Hamlets are busy little sex changers, according to one source, taking sex shifting goes to dynamic extremes. Hamlets (genus Hypoplectrus) are simultaneous hermaphrodites. Hamlets hold the sex-shifting record, switching from one set of gonads to the other and back in 30 seconds or less, with an average of 14 spawns in one day. The creatures I am looking for do not switch that quickly. "Throughout their lifetime, these creatures are capable of playing either role."

And on a side note, DrBill is this your article that mentions fish that switch sexes: Dive Dry with Dr. Bill: #137: You Think Your Sex Life is Strange? :cool1:

If I remember correctly, not all hamlets have the same reproductive patterns and rapid reversability. Some alternate, but I'd have to go back into my research notes to verify that and I'm too damned tired!

Yes, of course, that is non other than moi who published "You Think Your Sex Life is Strange?" My newspaper column almost always focuses on mating or munching (or both).

#77 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 25 October 2005 - 11:55 PM

OK call me a critter nerd, but this is some good info I am learning!! Thanks DrBill and great article, by the way! :cool1:
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#78 jholley309

jholley309

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts
  • Cert Level:Open Water
  • Logged Dives:20-ish

Posted 26 October 2005 - 07:02 AM

CREATURE FEATURE 22

Return of the dead.

This sea creature was thought to be extinct for 80 million years. Trouble is, nobody told the fisherman who caught one in the 30's. Although they might not have actually returned from the dead, they do take first place in the pan-species hide and seek contest.

Hmm, would that be the coelocanth, perhaps? They remind me of sharpei puppies: so ugly they're cute. :cool1:

Cheers!

Jim
Courage is not the absence of fear. Courage is what you do in spite of your fear.

Every man has fear. Any man who has no fear belongs in an institution. Or in Special Forces.

#79 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts

Posted 26 October 2005 - 08:51 AM

Hmm, would that be the coelocanth, perhaps? They remind me of sharpei puppies: so ugly they're cute. :birthday:

I remember walking through the basement of the Museum of Comparative Zoology in Cambridge MA and running into a preserved coelocanth in storage on the basement floor. Boy was I surprised.

#80 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts

Posted 26 October 2005 - 08:53 AM

Thanks DrBill and great article, by the way! :birthday:

There are 161 more articles archived on my website, so good reading. I'm always happy with the response I get from the public on them (including fishers). It's funny though- I don't know of any of our local dive professionals who read my column!

#81 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic

Posted 26 October 2005 - 12:15 PM

I am pretty sure Coelocanth is correct! So I'll post another question. If it isn't correct, Hawk can send us all to his Halloween torture chamber... :birthday:

CREATURE FEATURE 23

Name this sea creature (aka No spine, but certainly not spineless):

Fish are vertebrates. When you think of vertebrates, you think bones or backbone. Name the sea creatures that don’t have bones but are fish… (I'll bet they don't use those skeleton Halloween hang ups…..)
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#82 TraceMalin

TraceMalin

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 767 posts
  • Cert Level:Junior Jedi Knight
  • Logged Dives:6000+ (combined scuba & extended range freedives)

Posted 26 October 2005 - 12:23 PM

Name this sea creature (aka No spine, but certainly not spineless):

Fish are vertebrates.  When you think of vertebrates, you think bones or backbone.  Name the sea creatures that don’t have bones but are fish… (I'll bet they don't use those skeleton Halloween hang ups…..)

Oh, I'm betting these are the ones that worry us surfers... um... dude... I felt something brush my foot. Please tell me that was you!

S...h...a...r...k..s?
Trace Malinowski
Technical Training Director
PDIC International

#83 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts

Posted 26 October 2005 - 12:40 PM

:birthday: yes Sharks!

#84 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts

Posted 26 October 2005 - 01:05 PM

Actually (if my memory of phylogenetics is still accurate) the sharks are members of the Class Chondrichthyes which, along with the bony fishes in the Class Osteichthyes, are in the Sub-phylum Vertebrata which is in the Phylum Chordata.

Vertebrates do not necessarily require bony skeletons!

Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz... wrong question and wrong answer!

Edited by drbill, 26 October 2005 - 01:08 PM.

#85 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts

Posted 26 October 2005 - 01:18 PM

Awwww come on DrBill couldn't we stretch the cartilage a little here? I know critters don't have to have bones to be a vertebrate, but most people "think" bones when they think "vertebrate." Just trying to throw a curve ball, not trying to be inaccurate - many apologies if it came across that way :lmao:

I had been thinking of bones because of the great Coelacanth question, which made me stumble across reference to the class Osteichthyes (bony fish). My brain hurts....

#86 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts

Posted 26 October 2005 - 01:24 PM

Awwww come on DrBill couldn't we stretch the cartilage a little here? I know critters don't have to have bones to be a vertebrate, but most people "think" bones when they think "vertebrate." Just trying to throw a curve ball, not trying to be inaccurate - many apologies if it came across that way :lmao:

No offense, DG. Just wanted to clear things up on that issue. It prevented me from answering the question you posed! The questions are fun to think about and answer... at least when I have the time to peruse SD.com.

#87 TraceMalin

TraceMalin

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 767 posts
  • Cert Level:Junior Jedi Knight
  • Logged Dives:6000+ (combined scuba & extended range freedives)

Posted 26 October 2005 - 01:25 PM

Actually (if my memory of phylogenetics is still accurate) the sharks are members of the Class Chondrichthyes which, along with the bony fishes in the Class Osteichthyes, are in the Sub-phylum Vertebrata which is in the Phylum Chordata.

Vertebrates do not necessarily require bony skeletons!

Bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz... wrong question and wrong answer!

Cool! Now, if I get attacked by a shark while surfing, both the shark & I will be even for "a case of mistaken identity!" :lmao:

Trace
Trace Malinowski
Technical Training Director
PDIC International

#88 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts

Posted 26 October 2005 - 01:28 PM

CREATURE FEATURE 24

Name this sea creature (aka now that's what I call shrinkage!):

This sea creature is believed to be the smallest vertebrate in the world. The species live at depths of 15 m to 30 m in coral-reef lagoons in the vicinity of Lizard Island, Great Barrier Reef, Australia and mature females reach only 7-8mm. (see what can happen when you piss off a sea witch! You get shrunk!)

#89 ScubaHawk

ScubaHawk

Midwest HH Planner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,265 posts
  • Cert Level:Dive Master
  • Logged Dives:1000+

Posted 26 October 2005 - 01:48 PM

I think it's the infantfish - that's all of the name I can remember.
Take an SD trip - See old friends you have never met before!
Every existing thing is born without reason, prolongs itself out of weakness, and dies by chance. - Jean-Paul Sartre
I feel the urge, the urge to submerge! -ScubaHawk - Raptor of the Deep !
WHO DAT!!!!

#90 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts

Posted 26 October 2005 - 02:16 PM

Dang Hawk - good job!! The Stout Infantfish

CREATURE FEATURE 25

Name this sea creature (aka I put spell on you…):

These sea creatures hypnotise their prey by drawing a ring of bubbles in the water then bursting up through the ring, jaws wide open, to scoop up the food. (oooooo I'm going to have to try that on my next dive!)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users