• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

2006: Turks & Caicos...The Jewel of the Caribbean

• Please log in to reply
459 replies to this topic

#421 wtxblaze

wtxblaze

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 97 posts
  • Cert Level:Nitrox,AOW
  • Logged Dives:103

Posted 25 April 2006 - 06:14 PM

Have a compass on the computer, no reel spool.

#422 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts
  • Board Status:thinkin' about diving
  • Cert Level:DM; TDI Adv Nitrox and Deco Procedures
  • Logged Dives:1200 ish

Posted 25 April 2006 - 06:23 PM

Have a compass on the computer, no reel spool.

No worries...I have a spare spool you can use

#423 scubafanatic

scubafanatic

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Advanced Nitrox and Deco Procedures, Cavern
  • Logged Dives:250

Posted 25 April 2006 - 08:43 PM

This is my first time in the ocean, I have a computer, safty sausage, lights, dive gear. anything else I need to bring that I would not need for lets say just a lake dive?

....well, if you plan to dive NITROX bring a NITROX computer....with respect to lights, PLEASE DO NOT bring/use a --- STROBE --- tank marker light !!! ....at night the boat will hang flashing strobe lights off the mooring lines to ease navigation, it's very unhelpful to also have divers about also wearing flashing strobe lights !!! ....... many liveaboards strictly forbid divers from using them, so please be considerate of fellow divers............also, it's preferable to use the battery powered tank marker lights, chemical cylume lights leak toxic chemicals and are environmentally unfriendly.

...with respect to safety/redundant gear, for starters I'm bringing :

2 BIG safety sausages
4 dive lights ( tank light / 10W HID 'can' light / 2 backup lights )
dual bladder wing
2 complete 'AI' Nitrox computer/reg sets, each with back-up SPG's
underwater 'quacker' signaling device
dive-alert surface 'air-horn'

.......some people also bring mirrors and dye markers, although I'm not doing that on this trip.

Karl

Edited by scubafanatic, 25 April 2006 - 08:46 PM.

#424 orcaman

orcaman

SD Videographer

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts
  • Cert Level:YMCA, 3500+ dives, Bahamas, Caribean, Red Sea, Australia, Truk, more
  • Logged Dives:Gave up on logs, started e and never finished onediving for 28 years, approx. 200 per year currently

Posted 26 April 2006 - 06:09 AM

This is my first time in the ocean, I have a computer, safty sausage, lights, dive gear. anything else I need to bring that I would not need for lets say just a lake dive?

....well, if you plan to dive NITROX bring a NITROX computer....with respect to lights, PLEASE DO NOT bring/use a --- STROBE --- tank marker light !!! ....at night the boat will hang flashing strobe lights off the mooring lines to ease navigation, it's very unhelpful to also have divers about also wearing flashing strobe lights !!! ....... many liveaboards strictly forbid divers from using them, so please be considerate of fellow divers............also, it's preferable to use the battery powered tank marker lights, chemical cylume lights leak toxic chemicals and are environmentally unfriendly.

...with respect to safety/redundant gear, for starters I'm bringing :

2 BIG safety sausages
4 dive lights ( tank light / 10W HID 'can' light / 2 backup lights )
dual bladder wing
2 complete 'AI' Nitrox computer/reg sets, each with back-up SPG's
underwater 'quacker' signaling device
dive-alert surface 'air-horn'

Good job Karl.
Also everyone, do not forget to check the batteries in your computers if you have not dove for a while. They seem to work when you turn them on, then after a day or so of diving you hear "Oh @$#" my battery is dead.
I carry spares of the popular 2032's which can be had at Home depot for less than $2 each, a pair at Walmart is ever less. The 1/2 AA's that some use can be obtained at RadioShack, they are purple and cost $10-12 each.
C U all on Saturday
Larry

.......some people also bring mirrors and dye markers, although I'm not doing that on this trip.

Karl

Larry T, the Orcaman!

It is not the pain of being in the storm, it is the joy of dancing in the rain!!!!!

Oh I Lobster, but I never Flounder!! Well I guess I did Flounder on the 2007 New Year's trip, but I have SURVIVED!!!

#425 Starfish Sandy

Starfish Sandy

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts
  • Cert Level:aow, nitrox
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 26 April 2006 - 06:20 AM

:D I've been separated from the group on night dives and been VERY thankful to see a blinking tank light in the dark murky water attached to a diver!!! :cheerleader: Not sure if my new beacon blinks (its' being delivered by BUG).........but if it does............don't follow me!!!! :lmao:
Known puker

#426 rkymtwy

rkymtwy

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 708 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:250+

Posted 26 April 2006 - 07:18 AM

:D I've been separated from the group on night dives and been VERY thankful to see a blinking tank light in the dark murky water attached to a diver!!! :cheerleader: Not sure if my new beacon blinks (its' being delivered by BUG).........but if it does............don't follow me!!!! :lmao:

Sandy,

I'll have the blinking blue tank light so you can follow me! Remember I'm bringing chocolate.

#427 orcaman

orcaman

SD Videographer

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts
  • Cert Level:YMCA, 3500+ dives, Bahamas, Caribean, Red Sea, Australia, Truk, more
  • Logged Dives:Gave up on logs, started e and never finished onediving for 28 years, approx. 200 per year currently

Posted 26 April 2006 - 08:44 AM

Sandy,

I'll have the blinking blue tank light so you can follow me! Remember I'm bringing chocolate.

Hi, so glad to see I have kicked off some thoughts on safety. If you have never been lost or seen the boat getting smaller, then you don't know what we are talking about, but you should think about it and know what to do in case you do.
C U guys Saturday
The Orcamn of "Orcaman Tales"
Larry T, the Orcaman!

It is not the pain of being in the storm, it is the joy of dancing in the rain!!!!!

Oh I Lobster, but I never Flounder!! Well I guess I did Flounder on the 2007 New Year's trip, but I have SURVIVED!!!

#428 orcaman

orcaman

SD Videographer

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 26 April 2006 - 08:53 AM

Sandy,

Hi, so glad to see I have kicked off some thoughts on safety. If you have never been lost or seen the boat getting smaller, then you don't know what we are talking about, but you should think about it and know what to do in case you do.
C U guys Saturday
The Orcamn of "Orcaman Tales"

Just another not, at Oceanfest last weekend, I bought a DAN safety sausage, designed by them with the assistance of the US Coast Guard. It is over 6 feet long with a reflective surface up one side, has three ways to inflate it, oral, low pressure hose, or octupus, and comes with a metal mirror, cualume stick, and a wind storm whistle. I asked if it created a wind storm when you blew it, because if it did, I did not want one. But no they say it can be heard in a wind storm. At the show it was $46, or you can buyt it from them for $54, but if you order between April 1-30, it is still $46. That is 3 days to order, you will not have it for this trip, but hopefully it is not your last with SD. It certainly will NOT be my last.
Thanks,
Larry
Larry T, the Orcaman!

#429 nextariel

nextariel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,531 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:350+

Posted 26 April 2006 - 04:43 PM

Now I know why you are all concerned about the weight of your bags. Bringing enough stuff to outfit 3 divers. :D So I guess if I have a problem there may be some MR Fixits and if I do have a gear failure somebody might have something I can borrow. :diver:

Larry showed me his sausage at OceanFest, did I just say that??? I'm thinking that sparkly orange sherbert suit would go with it quite nicely. :wavey:
Laugh at yourself first, before anyone else can. --Elsa Maxwell, September 28, 1958

#430 Starfish Sandy

Starfish Sandy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts
  • Cert Level:aow, nitrox
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 26 April 2006 - 04:59 PM

Now I know why you are all concerned about the weight of your bags. Bringing enough stuff to outfit 3 divers. :cheerleader: So I guess if I have a problem there may be some MR Fixits and if I do have a gear failure somebody might have something I can borrow. :D

Larry showed me his sausage at OceanFest, did I just say that??? I'm thinking that sparkly orange sherbert suit would go with it quite nicely. :wavey:

OH MY!!!!!!!! Rarely am I speechless................HOW YOU DOIN????? :diver:
Known puker

#431 nextariel

nextariel

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,531 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:350+

Posted 26 April 2006 - 07:24 PM

OH MY!!!!!!!! Rarely am I speechless................HOW YOU DOIN????? :cool2:

Who me? :angel2: or was that :wavey: I'm busy packing :wakawaka: for this really great trip :dance:
Laugh at yourself first, before anyone else can. --Elsa Maxwell, September 28, 1958

#432 vettenorlando

vettenorlando

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 324 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:75+

Posted 26 April 2006 - 10:27 PM

OH MY!!!!!!!! Rarely am I speechless................HOW YOU DOIN????? :cool2:

Who me? :angel2: or was that :wavey: I'm busy packing :wakawaka: for this really great trip :dance:

How is it that these conversations always turn into sexual inuendos. However, for some reason I just know that everyone will see Larry's sausage on this trip... Us divers like to show new things off... eeeeeks....

Can't wait... I actually just flew in from MN a day earlier than expected so I can start doing some packing tomorrow... shouldn't take long... bathing suit... check, t-shirt....check, hat..... check!

nextariel... I'm with you, I won't be bringing a ton of redundant stuff... I just don't have it... But I will have my tank marker, my sausage (safety that is) and whistle... the basics....
Roatan!!!! Roatan!!!! Roatan!!!! I'm going to ROATAN!!!!! WOO HOO!!!!

#433 orcaman

orcaman

SD Videographer

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 269 posts

Posted 27 April 2006 - 05:08 AM

Now I know why you are all concerned about the weight of your bags. Bringing enough stuff to outfit 3 divers. :-D So I guess if I have a problem there may be some MR Fixits and if I do have a gear failure somebody might have something I can borrow. :teeth:

Larry showed me his sausage at OceanFest, did I just say that??? I'm thinking that sparkly orange sherbert suit would go with it quite nicely. :fish2:

I do not believe the speechless part, FOCUS. She is jut bragging, in my defense, I did not show her all of it, but it is a nice one.
Larry
Larry T, the Orcaman!

#434 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts
  • Board Status:thinkin' about diving
  • Cert Level:DM; TDI Adv Nitrox and Deco Procedures
  • Logged Dives:1200 ish

Posted 27 April 2006 - 07:00 AM

Now I know why you are all concerned about the weight of your bags. Bringing enough stuff to outfit 3 divers. :-D So I guess if I have a problem there may be some MR Fixits and if I do have a gear failure somebody might have something I can borrow. :teeth:

Larry showed me his sausage at OceanFest, did I just say that??? I'm thinking that sparkly orange sherbert suit would go with it quite nicely. :fish2:

I do not believe the speechless part, FOCUS. She is jut bragging, in my defense, I did not show her all of it, but it is a nice one.
Larry

does it have DAN tatooed on the side??

#435 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 27 April 2006 - 07:04 AM

does it have DAN tatooed on the side??

Yes it does but when fully extended it says... damn the torpedos full speed a head!!!

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users