• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

2006: July 4th Fireworks on History...NC Wrecks

• Please log in to reply
326 replies to this topic

#31 normblitch

normblitch

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts
  • Board Status:Ginnie Springs 12/17, Crystal River 12/18...
  • Cert Level:Cave
  • Logged Dives:522

Posted 23 January 2006 - 06:56 PM

What size line (dia) do you spool on your reels for Wrecks like these??

Norm

Brian,

the Proteus and USS Tarpon would be great dives.

the U-352 is a great dive as well, and don't mind diving it again with you guys. but believe me, its not very big, you can see the whole thing in one dive.

and as for penetration, its a straight shot through the sub. (as long as you can fit through the hatch)

it does get silted up extremely easily.

one hatch is smaller than the other, so if your not comfy going back through a silted sub, you might wanna practice your "no-mount" skills.

#32 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 24 January 2006 - 08:49 AM

Hey!

I would like to go! I live VERY close to the area and I have a place at the beach also (uless they sell the land between now and then). I will have my own tanks, sleeping arrangement, food, etc.. Just need to get a price on the dives only please. Hook me up when you get the chance please!

David

Can do...email me at kamala@singledivers.com so I can send you the local drive in dive only price! Thanks!

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#33 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 09:53 AM

What size line (dia) do you spool on your reels for Wrecks like these??

Norm

I don't normally penetrate where a line is needed. I use my reel more for low vis and/or scattered wrecks than I do to find my way in and out of something! Besides...usually I don't need a reel to get back from most of my uh...penetrations!! :birthday:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!

formerly...

#34 normblitch

normblitch

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 10:28 AM

Having my current Wreck logs only on "prepared" wrecks with sanitary swim-thrus, I would seriously consider a reel on any non-prepared wreck.

While I am aware of the concept of Progressive Penetrations for Natural wrecks, I would prefer to do THAT style only when Benefits were involved... :birthday:

Maybe YOUR penetrations haven't been DEEP enough to require a reel! :birthday:

nhb

I don't normally penetrate where a line is needed. I use my reel more for low vis and/or scattered wrecks than I do to find my way in and out of something! Besides...usually I don't need a reel to get back from most of my uh...penetrations!! :birthday:

#35 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 11:00 AM

On a more serious note...and please take note as this is one of the few serious notes you'll see from me...

now regarding reels in NC...:

1. Most wrecks are scattered so you'll use them more for getting back to the anchor rather than pentration.
2. The few wrecks that offer penetration have numerous light passthrus so that you can easily swim thru and/or find your way back to the entry point.
3. One notable wreck the U-352 only has several ports of entry/exit that don't require you removing your gear to enter/exit so a reel is only so helpful. Besides it is a straight tube.
4. One wreck the Indra offers the chance to go several decks down but it is an artificial reef that was sunk for training purposes and is somewhat clean but not completely 'sanitary'.
5. The Papoose offers some penetration but since the wreck is turtled, the use of reel is limited but could be useful.

While not a complete and exhaustive list...most NC divers going out of Morehead, use their reels more for surface navigation than for penetration.

formerly...

#36 normblitch

normblitch

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 11:05 AM

Kamala,

Thanks SO Much!

that pretty well answers the ???'s I had re the wrecks normally dove in that region...how are they standing up to the test of time regarding falling apart like the 'Doria or the U-Who?

nhb

On a more serious note...and please take note as this is one of the few you'll see from me...regarding reels in NC:

1. Most wrecks are scattered so you'll use them more for getting back to the anchor rather than pentration.
2. The few wrecks that offer penetration have numerous light passthrus so that you can easily swim thru and/or find your way back to the entry point.
3. One notable wreck the U-352 only has several ports of entry/exit that don't require you removing your gear to enter/exit so a reel is only so helpful. Besides it is a straight tube.
4. One wreck the Indra offers the chance to go several decks down but it is an artificial reef that was sunk for training purposes and is somewhat clean but not completely 'sanitary'.
5. The Papoose offers some penetration but since the wreck is turtled, the use of reel is limited but could be useful.

While not a complete and exhaustive list...most NC divers going out of Morehead, use their reels more for surface navigation than for penetration.

#37 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

I spend too much time on line

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts
  • Board Status:Omnes Qui Errant Non Pereunt!
  • Cert Level:Rec: DM -- Tec: Ext Range
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 24 January 2006 - 05:26 PM

Hey Kamela

sorry for the long absence but school got in the way and i had some other things in the way (IE i got my EMT-B Rating and i also got into paramedic school in the same month which has already started). Also i need to finish working on those images so that i can post them as i have several good images from that trip including the panoramic i shot that would make some good show prints.

As for this trip im up for it as this time frame is a break from school and i dont think im going to be working at the scout camp this summer (and if i was i would still come to this). plus with the big ships being in town that would make a good photo opportunity as i really like classic sail ships.

PErsonally i would be up for just about any wreck aslong as there are some good photo opportunities to shoot (film and digital)

Norm would you be the same norm that met up with us at the fishermens inn that one night.

FWIW

Tooth

A Novus Dies Has Adveho.... Occupo Dies

Where in the World is Tooth? ... Catch Me It You Can!

Traveling the World, Diving, and Photography, on my days off from saving lives as a Paramedic

#38 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 07:10 PM

Norm would you be the same norm that met up with us at the fishermens inn that one night

Yep...one in the same...

As for this trip im up for it as this time frame is a break from school and i dont think im going to be working at the scout camp this summer (and if i was i would still come to this). plus with the big ships being in town that would make a good photo opportunity as i really like classic sail ships.

Way cool...does this mean you want me to put you on the list? I hope so! You are WAY overdue to see these wrecks!!! -ww

formerly...

#39 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 07:42 PM

how are they standing up to the test of time regarding falling apart like the 'Doria or the U-Who?

Actually most were cable layered due to the depths and proximity to shipping lanes therefore they are inherently already falling apart as it were. The U-352 is in great shape...amazing after all these years. Other wrecks are showing the ravages of time and the storms...however we have no wrecks as difficult to dive as the Doria or even the U-Who.

formerly...

#40 ScubaDiver-DJ

ScubaDiver-DJ

Getting started

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI Instructor
  • Logged Dives:1000+

Posted 25 January 2006 - 05:56 AM

Kamala,

Sent you and email as requested.

David

#41 normblitch

normblitch

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 25 January 2006 - 08:00 AM

Tooth,

Fisherman's Inn doesn't ring a bell...where??

Norm

Hey Kamela

sorry for the long absence but school got in the way and i had some other things in the way (IE i got my EMT-B Rating and i also got into paramedic school in the same month which has already started). Also i need to finish working on those images so that i can post them as i have several good images from that trip including the panoramic i shot that would make some good show prints.

PErsonally i would be up for just about any wreck aslong as there are some good photo opportunities to shoot (film and digital)

Norm would you be the same norm that met up with us at the fishermens inn that one night.

FWIW

Tooth

#42 Drgnfiend

Drgnfiend

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • Cert Level:Assistant Instructor
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 25 January 2006 - 01:14 PM

Depending on my cash flow situation after making the payments for my Turks & Caicos trip in April/May I'd be interested in joining y'all for this one. I'd be driving down.

#43 ASDmike

ASDmike

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, EAN
  • Logged Dives:700ish

Posted 25 January 2006 - 06:18 PM

Hi Kamala,

I'm in for this one! Always wanted to go there and the timing is perfect for me. Put me down for Nitrox 100s and I'll be flying in.

-Mike
'06 - Fireworks on History, Singles Fantasy
'07 - Ancient Egypt/Red Sea Liveaboard
'08 - Bonaire Singles Week ...In STYLE!!!

#44 ScubaPunk

ScubaPunk

Houston HH Planner + Angel

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,029 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, NITROX
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 25 January 2006 - 06:48 PM

Hi Kamala,

I'm in for this one! Always wanted to go there and the timing is perfect for me. Put me down for Nitrox 100s and I'll be flying in.

-Mike

Excellent first Post. :cool2: No better way to get to know everyone than going on a trip. Now how about an intro post?? :cool2:

#45 WreckWench

WreckWench

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts

Posted 25 January 2006 - 09:20 PM

Kamala,

Sent you and email as requested.

David

Got it! Reply being sent! Thanks! And I hope you'll join us! kamala

Hi Kamala,

-Mike

Excellent first Post. :lmao: No better way to get to know everyone than going on a trip. Now how about an intro post?? :cool2:

I'm with the punk...what a helluva first post!! :cool2: And don't forget to do an official intro post!! :P

Depending on my cash flow situation after making the payments for my Turks & Caicos trip in April/May I'd be interested in joining y'all for this one. I'd be driving down.

Awesome!!! Now you all are talking...this is ONLY my favorite destination in the world!!! :teeth:

formerly...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users