• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Clear Springs on the 30th?

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 Twinklez

Twinklez

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 23 October 2005 - 06:03 PM

I've heard rumors that some SD folks have considered diving at Clear Springs Scuba Park in Terrell on Sunday, the 30th. I would LOVE to dive with some of you on that day! Also, just for the info, I've heard that Clear Springs is planning a "lighted" night dive on Saturday the 29th which sounds like a whole lot of fun to me as well.

I visited CSSP this weekend. Water temp was 75 down to 35 feet. I dove a 5mil no hood or gloves and was absolutely toastie. The air outside has dropped significantly so I'd suggest bringing some warm-ups to slip into between dives and if you're planning on camping, some firewood.

THIS IS NOT AN OFFICIAL SD EVENT; Just another great opportunity to get wet with good friends!

Twinklez

#2 Capn Jack

Capn Jack

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts
  • Board Status:Working to fund the next trip
  • Cert Level:YMCA in 65, dove till 79, returned in 2002... now will work for air and/or beer as a DM
  • Logged Dives:not enough

Posted 23 October 2005 - 06:14 PM

We need to have a signal at the front gate. I was there too!! Sat & Sun afternoon.

It was like a hot tub getting in at 2pm today - the air temp had dropped and the wind was kicking up pretty good. Surface swims were also a tad uncomfortable for those w/o hoods.

Sorry I can't make the weekend.

Ciao bella
Capn Jack
No aquarium, no tank in a marine land, however spacious it may be, can begin to duplicate the conditions of the sea. And no dolphin who inhabits one of those aquariums or one of those marine lands can be considered normal.
Jacques Yves Cousteau

#3 Twinklez

Twinklez

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 23 October 2005 - 07:18 PM

We need to have a signal at the front gate. I was there too!! Sat & Sun afternoon.

It was like a hot tub getting in at 2pm today - the air temp had dropped and the wind was kicking up pretty good. Surface swims were also a tad uncomfortable for those w/o hoods.

Sorry I can't make the weekend.

Ciao bella
Capn Jack

Jack I'm a Texas Swamp Diver and went there to dive with someone who wanted to one. To be one, you simply have to dive with one. We had dove together several other times, but he never knew I was a member so this was his "official" TSD dive. I managed to give a heads up to a few other members and we all got in a couple of great dives.

We found visability to be terrible around the sunken items, but along the East and North walls at about 30ft it was great! We saw several very large bass, a catfish "bathing" in the mud, and about 4 turtles. The turtles are slowing down, I guess from the cooling of the water. I took point near the end of the dive and twice managed to hover over the top of a turtle without him even moving. Usually they scamper away pretty quick about the time you spot them. These did not. In fact, one very small one just moved a little closer to his rock and sat there until another diver stirred him up. Then instead of climbing up the wall, they went deep.

Good thing I didn't stay the night like I usually do; woke up this morning to the movement of a kidney stone. Ouch! That wouldn't have been a good experience at the dive park, or under the water.

We were on the West side of the park near the first "set" of cabanas by the folks from SCUBA Toys. Where were you parked? One of the people I dove with was an SD member, but I can't remember his board name.

Too bad you can't make it!

#4 Capn Jack

Capn Jack

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts
  • Board Status:Working to fund the next trip
  • Cert Level:YMCA in 65, dove till 79, returned in 2002... now will work for air and/or beer as a DM
  • Logged Dives:not enough

Posted 23 October 2005 - 08:22 PM

On Saturday, we were at the next dock East of where you were. We got there too late for a shelter, so we were set out in between the eastern most pavilion from your dock, and the pavilion right off the next dock.

We stayed by the North platform Sat PM, lots of life there too, one loggerhead about 8 inches long was just off the dock, but didn't see her u/w. Lots of bass, a few catfish. The bluegill sharks have thinned out (thanks spearfishers). We left the north platforms and tried to get the gaggle to the airplane, but turned back after a lot of buoyancy problems.

Sunday the vis was really for @!&%. Good practice for the students on navigation. Good practice for me making the transition to winter.
No aquarium, no tank in a marine land, however spacious it may be, can begin to duplicate the conditions of the sea. And no dolphin who inhabits one of those aquariums or one of those marine lands can be considered normal.
Jacques Yves Cousteau

#5 Dejah

Dejah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,218 posts
  • Cert Level:OW
  • Logged Dives:14

Posted 23 October 2005 - 09:42 PM

Yes you were correct about the rumor... some of us are planning on going out to Clear Springs on the 30th for the day... anyone who wants to come is welcome to join us...

It's not an official SD thing, just a bunch of friends getting together, getting wet and having fun. Please bring a dish of your choice to share and I believe were going to grill some burgers and Hot Dogs as well..

I'll post more information tomorrow after I get a reserved area for us and the park costs...

Hope to see you there..

#6 Twinklez

Twinklez

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 08:58 AM

Yes you were correct about the rumor... some of us are planning on going out to Clear Springs on the 30th for the day... anyone who wants to come is welcome to join us...

It's not an official SD thing, just a bunch of friends getting together, getting wet and having fun. Please bring a dish of your choice to share and I believe were going to grill some burgers and Hot Dogs as well..

I'll post more information tomorrow after I get a reserved area for us and the park costs...

Hope to see you there..

Clear Springs doesn't usually "reserve" areas for groups. First come, first served is usually the rule. Gates open at 7am and if you don't get a spot early Saturday morning you're likely to end up without a picnic table and cabana. It's $20 a day to dive, $10 for non-divers, $5 more if you're camping. The hot showers are not finished just yet, but there is an airfill station - $6 per fill. There's also a snack bar where you can get sandwiches and things. I've never eaten there so can't tell you much about it.

Because the Surface Interval is having their Halloween night dive on the 29th, it's likely there will be a lot of folks camping over, so less likely to be vacant cabanas for the 30th. You might want to consider hooking up with another group like Jeff Walters, or someone else who camps the entire weekend to make sure we have a "spot." Jeff's group is usually out at the far north dock by the plane.

#7 Dejah

Dejah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,218 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 10:21 AM

Twinklez, I'm not familar with Jeff Walters and can't make it on Saturday.. are you going up there for the Halloween deal on the 29th?

#8 Twinklez

Twinklez

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 24 October 2005 - 09:39 PM

Twinklez, I'm not familar with Jeff Walters and can't make it on Saturday.. are you going up there for the Halloween deal on the 29th?

At present, that's my plan. Now that doesn't mean the delightful little kidney stone riding with me will agree. I would hate to say I'll hold a cabana for us and then not be able to make it.

But, if I do get out Saturday, I'll do my best to find us a spot. Do you know who else is planning on going?

Twinklez

#9 galscuba

galscuba

Getting started

• Pip
  • 19 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:400

Posted 25 October 2005 - 05:57 AM

I might consider making it up for the Halloween thing. Are you guys camping?

#10 Dejah

Dejah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,218 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 01:30 PM

I'm not camping and just going out for the day on Sunday... anyone else want to come out for the day or weekend?

#11 zendiver

zendiver

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,082 posts
  • Cert Level:AI
  • Logged Dives:1011

Posted 25 October 2005 - 01:33 PM

Deb, I will also be there on Sunday...
[color=blue]Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body;
But rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--"WOW--What a ride!"

#12 Dejah

Dejah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,218 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 01:41 PM

Awesome! It will be good to see ya again!

FYI... I'm going to bring out Hot Dogs for anyone who wants one and my little camping grill so if anyone wants to bring something to compliment it or something else you prefer feel free...

#13 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts
  • Board Status:thinkin' about diving
  • Cert Level:DM; TDI Adv Nitrox and Deco Procedures
  • Logged Dives:1200 ish

Posted 25 October 2005 - 01:42 PM

I'm planning to be there Sunday...I may not be able to dive since I've had a root canal done this week...but I'll be there!

#14 Dejah

Dejah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,218 posts

Posted 25 October 2005 - 01:46 PM

I'm planning to be there Sunday...I may not be able to dive since I've had a root canal done this week...but I'll be there!

OUCHIE!!! :hiya: I feel for ya on that one..

#15 zendiver

zendiver

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,082 posts
  • Cert Level:AI
  • Logged Dives:1011

Posted 25 October 2005 - 02:00 PM

Well Deb, seeing as how I am about 3 weeks out from my competition, hot dogs and burgers are NOT on my diet profile. :hiya:

I will bring my food with me as I have to eat every 2 hours...fish, brwn rice, and brocolli. See how much I love you guys....eating those meals are bad enough when eating them while they are hot....imagine eating that stuff cold....YUCK!
[color=blue]Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body;
But rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--"WOW--What a ride!"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users