• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

2004: The singles WARM Northern Trip Sept 3-7

• Please log in to reply
281 replies to this topic

#16 drckw

drckw

Getting started

• Pip
  • 41 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW diver , tend to prefer warm waters
  • Logged Dives:>100 mostly in Caribbean, CA , Hawaii

Posted 15 May 2004 - 09:57 AM

Hey, wet or dry would work for me. I'm more interested in good vis and things to see.
:teeth:

#17 canuckdiver

canuckdiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 555 posts
  • Cert Level:Decompression procedures
  • Logged Dives:>120

Posted 15 May 2004 - 10:40 AM

anybody consider diving erie....almost all the dives would be under deco limits...(not extremely deep) and the are numerous wreck in the kelly ilsand area...great lil towns and islands to visit...all accessable by car ferry...both u.s. and canadian ports....very close to cedar point if anyone is interested....great family fun for those divers with families...http://www.lakeeriewreckdivers.com/....pretty centrally located ...i will help set it up if needed....not my side of the state...but know the area pretty well....if ur interested in the west side....i sure i can get access to at least 2 maybe 3 dive boats...but u gotta dress warm over here....ave. temp in the summer is 60....

brian?......any help i can be...let me know....

that would work for me, would prefer to stick to my side of the border if possible, avoid the whole customs/immigration headache.
"what works, works" - shek exley

"the WW Approved 'Unofficial' guardian angel"

#18 rhondajc18

rhondajc18

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 209 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:128

Posted 15 May 2004 - 03:24 PM

It all sounds great to me!
I also, though, would like to make it someplace I could drive to pretty easily in a day--lots of wrecks.
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

#19 DivingGal

DivingGal

• PipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • Cert Level:Divemaster.... love looking at critters, but enjoy wrecks when I can't
  • Logged Dives:300+

Posted 15 May 2004 - 03:52 PM

that would work for me, would prefer to stick to my side of the border if possible, avoid the whole customs/immigration headache.

Silly lad... if the canucks don't have the border issues, the Yanks will! hehehe
Sometimes, you just gotta be

#20 DivingGal

DivingGal

• PipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts
  • Cert Level:Divemaster.... love looking at critters, but enjoy wrecks when I can't

Posted 15 May 2004 - 03:56 PM

Will let you know what (if any) hassels at the border this year. In previous years I've never had a problem, but with raised security levels... who knows.

I'll be seeing the border folks next Friday with a car full of gear, and one small bag of clothes.

#21 NormsKid

NormsKid

Getting started

• Pip
  • 34 posts
  • Cert Level:OW

Posted 15 May 2004 - 05:17 PM

1) Where is the most convienent for all of us? I am thinking near the Canada border at Port Huron or Detroit to make it easier on those from the Western side of Michigan, Wisconsin, and Chicago and still not be TOO bad for the Canadians among us.

I'd certainly be willing to to go to Port Huron or Detroit...no real preferrence either way.

As for the other questions posed.....I'm just lookin to get some more dives in, meet some cool folks, chit chat a bit, and hopefully learn a at least one new thing that will make me a better diver.

Michelle

#22 triggerfish

triggerfish

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,712 posts
  • Cert Level:goddess.
  • Logged Dives:never enough

Posted 15 May 2004 - 08:55 PM

i'm interested too...depending on when and where....

and brian....don't pack those woolies away. i might need to borrow 'em even in 70 degree water!

#23 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,490 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 16 May 2004 - 05:46 AM

and brian....don't pack those woolies away.  i might need to borrow 'em even in 70 degree water!

I know you all will think I'm a wuss....www to be exact....but I sure hope I have my drysuit soon...it goes on order next week so I can join you all. If I dive dry I don't know what will chatter most...my teeth or my whining....heck I dive with an 7mil in 80 degree water. (What can you expect from a Texan who thinks 90 air temps is comfortable and over 100 is a little warm...LOL!!!)

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#24 Diverbrian

Diverbrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI DiveCon/IANTD Normoxic Trimix.....
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 17 May 2004 - 08:03 AM

and brian....don't pack those woolies away.  i might need to borrow 'em even in 70 degree water!

I know you all will think I'm a wuss....wws to be exact....but I sure hope I have my drysuit soon...it goes on order next week so I can join you all. If I dive dry I don't know what will chatter most...my teeth or my whining....heck I dive with an 7mil in 80 degree water. (What can you expect from a Texan who thinks 90 air temps is comfortable and over 100 is a little warm...LOL!!!)

I am the other way around! Forty degrees air temp is "a little brisk" to me. That having been said; their is a huge difference between that kind of AIR temp and Water temp. I personally dive a 3mm and a vest in 75 degree water and pretty heavy insulation underneath my drysuit. My saying on cold water diving is that you don't impress the cold by pretending that you are not cold.

DG, as you mentioned, I think that a little mention of how bad the customs on our side of things currently is may be a good idea. If they are getting too Draconian, we will have to plan this on the Canuck's side of the border. Right now, Lake Erie is sounding decent. Does anybody know what kind of drive that Brockville/Kingston would be from Chicago?

Just some thoughts!
A person should be judged in this life not by the mistakes that they make nor by the number of them. Rather they are to be judged by their recovery from them.

#25 DivingGal

DivingGal

• PipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 17 May 2004 - 08:44 AM

DB

According to Yahoo... having you cross at Detroit

Chicago to Brockville about 725 miles -- 11 hours
Chicago to Kingston about 675 miles -- 10.5 hours

Count down to my trip... should be able to post a border crossing report on Saturday.

That being said... different crossings (a busy one vs a quiet one), may have different experiences.

#26 maxdvr

maxdvr

• PipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts
  • Cert Level:s.s.i. centry diver/rescue diver.. padi divemaster
  • Logged Dives:142 at last count

Posted 17 May 2004 - 10:34 AM

i hear leamington is great to......very nice lil town ....good people...by boat its a radio call to customs...nothing more...erie works...i would love to dive the blue water of huron to....but im game where ever works best for everyone
Posted Image
if your not living on the edge...your takin up to much space

landlocked by misfortune

"Kindness to others is the rent we pay for our time on Earth". - Muhammad Ali

#27 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,490 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 17 May 2004 - 10:50 AM

Hey gang...this is sounding great! I hope Brian and DiverLady can pull a trip together for you all...AND I'm hoping to join you as well!

Just one favor....as you know we are new and are still trying to set all the parameters for the site. One set of parameters we have set regards pricing in posts. Unless something is an official SD trip then we don't quote pricing. You can tell people to pm you for it if you have it or in this case send it to Brian and/or DiverLady and they will use it to help figure out where this trip should be.

Actually I've asked Brian to help take the lead since DL is out diving right now so perhaps sending the pricing to BOTH is the best idea!

Thank you all for your help and if you have any questions about what can and can not be posted dont' hesitate to ask Walter or myself! Thanks, ww

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#28 Diverbrian

Diverbrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI DiveCon/IANTD Normoxic Trimix.....
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 17 May 2004 - 11:07 AM

DB

According to Yahoo...  having you cross at Detroit

Chicago to Brockville  about 725 miles -- 11 hours
Chicago to Kingston    about 675 miles -- 10.5 hours

Count down to my trip...  should be able to post a border crossing report on Saturday.

That being said... different crossings (a busy one vs a quiet one), may have different experiences.

Question:

How long of a drive are people willing to do? I just did a twelve hour drive for the Dutch Springs trip and discovered that is right at my limit. It would be different if I could find another driver to go with me so that I could trade off.

Another thing to look at is how close are these locations to an airport. If Kamala decides to come, (for instance) I would imagine that she will have to fly in. We don't want to pick a location that is a long ways from air transport. For the people with heavier gear (read: me and my double 100's, drysuit, etc.), air transport is not likely to happen.

Again, this is just my way of putting out random thoughts for people to think about.

Max, I will look at your location on my GPS maps tonight. I will say right now that I think Brockville or Kingston may be as far east as we want to go to cover the people from the western portion of our region.

OH, and like Kamala points out, there should be no pricing info in the thread unless we finalize this as a "official" SD.com trip. If it looks like we will have that level of participation (and myself/DL will deal with Kamala on that), the prices will be listed.

Right now, this isn't an issue as we don't have a location or date yet. PM's for ideas are always welcome, though.

Thanks,

Brian

Edited by Diverbrian, 17 May 2004 - 11:11 AM.

A person should be judged in this life not by the mistakes that they make nor by the number of them. Rather they are to be judged by their recovery from them.

#29 DivingGal

DivingGal

• PipPipPipPip
  • 359 posts

Posted 17 May 2004 - 11:18 AM

FYI for those two locations if you have to fly in.....

Brockville
1) Fly into Ottawa -- 1 hour drive (all highway)
2) Fly into Toronto -- 4.5 - 5 hour drive (all highway, but you get to go right across TO on the 401 wheee if you hit traffic!)

Kingston
1) Fly into Ottawa -- 2.5 hour drive (all highway)
2) Fly into Kingston -- poof you're there, likely having to transfer planes in Toronto or Montreal from anywhere other than from someplace in Ontario
3) Fly into Toronto -- 3.5 hour drive (all highway, but you get to go right across TO on the 401 wheee if you hit traffic!)

#30 hnladue

hnladue

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue/Adv Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:enough

Posted 17 May 2004 - 11:39 AM

Folks: What about more towards Michigan?? Tobermory??? Lake Erie? Etc? I think we should pick someplace more in the middle of all of us. Sure Kingston is easier for me too, but for some others it's a 6 hour drive or more. Personally, I won't drive anymore then 5 hours for a weekend trip. It's not worth it to me.
Sempar Partus!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users