• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Tattoos and girls

• Please log in to reply
191 replies to this topic

#31 mischievous

mischievous

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,304 posts
  • Cert Level:0
  • Logged Dives:0

Posted 13 May 2004 - 10:15 AM

branding...definately a no. the first time i saw it was on TV with a slam dunk competition, and i thought to myself, "don't those guys remember what branding was used for originally?"

#32 GentDiver

GentDiver

"Shark-Bait"

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 937 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced Open Water
  • Logged Dives:80

Posted 13 May 2004 - 10:15 AM

I have to agree with Dr Bill. I'm not a big fan, but if they are tasteful then I'm cool with it.
"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
- Albert Einstein

"Do, or do not. There is no 'try'."
- Yoda ('The Empire Strikes Back')

"And the trees are all kept equal by hatch, axe, and saw"
- Rush (The Trees)

#33 scubahoney

scubahoney

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:20ish

Posted 13 May 2004 - 10:18 AM

Good advie Chie-the henna and all. As ar as pain..mine is at my waist line...and it didn't really hurt. More like a slight stonging and burning. I was nervous..more nervous than in pain. But mine isn't filled in, it's just an outline. I agree about the colors though. Black stays the longest.
The greatest resource of the ocean is not material but the boundless spring of inspiration and well-being we gain from her.
~Jacques Cousteau

#34 divecutie

divecutie

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 709 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:20

Posted 13 May 2004 - 10:27 AM

I wouldn't ever get a real one because I'm fickle and the next day I'd be like ok wash it off! I like getting hienna ones, but i do have my bellybutton pierced. Thats about as rebel as I can be concerning tats and piercings.
Why not seize the pleasure at once? How often is happiness destroyed by preparation, foolish preparation!
Jane Austen

#35 IRONPIG

IRONPIG

Getting started

• Pip
  • 49 posts
  • Cert Level:open water and nitrox
  • Logged Dives:45

Posted 13 May 2004 - 10:42 AM

I think tasteful tatoos on women are sexy.I especially like the small designs put on the small of your back.....
Really big ones and alot of em are definately not my taste.
I've been trying to decide on one for 2 years now,and now its summer again so I guess Ill wait til next year

#36 mischievous

mischievous

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,304 posts
  • Cert Level:0
  • Logged Dives:0

Posted 13 May 2004 - 10:46 AM

i wanted a piercing, but they always seem to get in the way of my lifestyle at the time. for clarification, i wanted a belly-button because i saw the print ad where a diamond company had a huge stud in a woman's navel and a caption that read, "reinvent the heirloom." i thought my piercing would look exactly like that and wanted to get one, but my brazilian jujitsu partner reminded me that my gi would rub against the piercing so i would have to sit out (up to six weeks) until it healed. yaowza!

#37 jeadiver

jeadiver

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 60 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:300+

Posted 13 May 2004 - 12:09 PM

I don't find ladies covered with tattoos terribly attractive, but a discreet one wouldn't be a deal breaker. I have never considered one for myself, but both my boys have at least one. One son still likes having his after 5 years. The other one wishes he had never done it (actually, he admitted to me a couple of years ago that he doesn't remember picking it out, getting it, paying for it, or anything but having a heck of a pain in his shoulder the next morning to match the one in his head). Since his is in a hard to reach spot, what started out as a discreet lizard now looks like something that died and all that is left is the bones and a little detritus. I'm too much of a baby to get anything pierced.

Edited by jeadiver, 13 May 2004 - 12:09 PM.

#38 jextract

jextract

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor, Divemaster, Nitrox, Rescue, Wreck, ...
  • Logged Dives:120ish

Posted 13 May 2004 - 12:14 PM

...actually, he admitted to me a couple of years ago that he doesn't remember picking it out, getting it, paying for it, or anything but having a heck of a pain in his shoulder the next morning to match the one in his head...

Ooooh ... reminds me of how I woke up with that earring in Mexico in my 20s....
"Because I accept the definition, does not mean I accept the defined." -- ScubaHawk
"Love is blind but lust likes lacy panties" -- SanDiegoCarol
"If you're gonna be dumb, you'd better be tough." -- Phillip Manor
"If I know the answer I'll tell you the answer, and if I don't I'll just respond cleverly." -- Donald Rumsfeld

#39 hnladue

hnladue

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 584 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue/Adv Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:enough

Posted 13 May 2004 - 12:36 PM

I have 2 but no one will ever see them or find them! They are just for me... took me years to decide and then find someone good enough to do them! As for removal, a friend of mine had it done. Wasn't too bad (just like getting it done in the first place) but it cost $400 per session and took 3 sessions to remove them!! If I get tired of mine, I'll just have them removed....no biggie!!
Sempar Partus!!

#40 hydrophilicity

hydrophilicity

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, EAN, Rescue
  • Logged Dives:250+

Posted 13 May 2004 - 12:52 PM

No tattoos - I can't decide what I want for dinner from a menu, let alone something I want on my body forever. I have a few piercings. 9 holes total (Sorry, Walter) If I get sick of these, I can take them out.

#41 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 13 May 2004 - 01:00 PM

9 holes total (Sorry, Walter)

You mean I actually had a shot before this?
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#42 rhondajc18

rhondajc18

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 209 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:128

Posted 13 May 2004 - 02:02 PM

I have two--a nice small butterfly on my right ankle and a tribal butterfly in the small of my back. Both of the butterflies have a lot of personal meaning for me. I debated for 6 years getting the first one so it's not like I got tanked and then got inked. I probably won't get anymore . . . but you never know . . .. :wakawaka:
Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

#43 Laura

Laura

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 871 posts
  • Board Status:Not on vacation (damn!)
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:You mean I have to log them, too?

Posted 13 May 2004 - 02:52 PM

I agree that if they are tasteful and discreet, they can be sexy (on either gender). I saw a lady in the Keys who had this really neat one on her hip. It was a starfish background, and the center faded into this tiny, colorful sunset scene with a dolphin jumping out of the water against the sky. It was elaborate, and very artistic and it looked really good on her.

I also met another female diver who had "sleeves" (total tattoo coverage from her wrists to her shoulders.) Nothing personal, but I didn't care for it...but to each his/her own. (I was a bit leery of her at first but she turned out to be really cool)

As far as piercings, it's not my cup of tea. I especially find the whole tongue-piercing thing to be gross. But again, these are just MY views. I do not judge someone if they have tats or piercings. I work with college students and these things are very commonplace.

I've tossed around the idea of getting a small tat, but just never could get past the whole idea of VOLUNTARILY getting stuck with a needle. YIKES!
WWZD - What Would ZENA Do ??

#44 sea nmf

sea nmf

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 156 posts
  • Cert Level: Rescue
  • Logged Dives:Over 500 - I stopped counting

Posted 13 May 2004 - 05:23 PM

Let's see what has been missed here.

You get them when you are young and your skin is taunt. If you live to a ripe old age, the artwork will look much different than when you had it done(never heard of an ankle lift . . . ).

Consideration about getting a tatoo should include visualizing it when you are 80 or 90 years old. If you will like the deflated tatoo, go for it!

I don't care whether girls get tatoos or not, since I am one. But, I don't like them on men; if that counts.

#45 WisconsinGal

WisconsinGal

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 635 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:70+ and counting

Posted 13 May 2004 - 05:47 PM

Consideration about getting a tatoo should include visualizing it when you are 80 or 90 years old.  If you will like the deflated tatoo, go for it!

A few years ago, my gf's had me talked into getting a tatoo, so there we sat for 3 hours in a tatoo shop while I browsed through their catalogues, decided on a pretty little butterfly with some ivy, thought hey something this small won't hurt right? But then the thought of what it would look like as I aged (not a pretty thought.. lol), and seeing the pain written all over this guy's face as he laid on the table clenching his fists, face turning red, as they tatooed a lightning bolt on his calf, made me change my mind .. I said "See Ya!" headed right out the door.. lol needless to say gf's razzed me for days after that.. lol They both have a tatoo of a parrot on their back, beautuiful colors, and tastefully done, they receive many compliments. However, still won't change my mind :teeth:

Edited by WisconsinGal, 13 May 2004 - 05:48 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users