• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

So how was Dutch Springs?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 Basslet

Basslet

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts
  • Cert Level:OW
  • Logged Dives:150

Posted 21 November 2005 - 09:49 AM

I couldn't make the happy hour. I was beat from my trip, plus I had a couple of glasses of wine at the luncheon following the memorial service for my friend, and took a nap rather than drive a couple of hours. Didn't want to leave my kid alone, and since my mom hasn't been feeling well lately, I didn't want to ask her to stay with him again. So, did you all have fun?

#2 BabyDuck

BabyDuck

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:60+

Posted 21 November 2005 - 03:04 PM

ooohhh, yeahhhh. in & out of the water. though, par for the course, there were some drama moments from 7th grade...

#3 normblitch

normblitch

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts
  • Board Status:Ginnie Springs 12/17, Crystal River 12/18...
  • Cert Level:Cave
  • Logged Dives:522

Posted 23 November 2005 - 07:08 PM

care to elaborate??

Norm

ooohhh, yeahhhh. in & out of the water. though, par for the course, there were some drama moments from 7th grade...

#4 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,487 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 23 November 2005 - 07:44 PM

Well for starters it was Marci aka BabyDuck's birthday! Lots of fun...lots of uh...libations and lots of moments!!! It was ALL GOOD!!! VERY VERY VERY GOOD!!! -ww

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#5 Geek

Geek

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue, Adv. Nitrox/Deco Procedures
  • Logged Dives:130+

Posted 23 November 2005 - 11:22 PM

Trace was excellent. :P

#6 Basslet

Basslet

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts
  • Cert Level:OW
  • Logged Dives:150

Posted 24 November 2005 - 08:10 AM

Trace was excellent. :P

Well that's a pretty cool photo you have there. Where was it taken? And are you going to fill out your profile?

#7 Guest_Sea Urchin_*

Guest_Sea Urchin_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 November 2005 - 08:17 AM

I'm so glad everyone had fun!!! Just one simple request, Trace: Please, please, please...with a cherry on top...
schedule this again when it is warm or hold it at a warm location.

Que :P

#8 Ariesno1

Ariesno1

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:600

Posted 25 November 2005 - 06:52 AM

Trace’s clinic and our HH was great. Diving was not so great, because the water was too cold without a drysuit. The BBQ right after the dive was just what we needed.

#9 TraceMalin

TraceMalin

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 767 posts
  • Cert Level:Junior Jedi Knight
  • Logged Dives:6000+ (combined scuba & extended range freedives)

Posted 26 November 2005 - 12:15 PM

Everyone, Wanda is missing her Citizen dive watch. Could everyone please check their gear bags to see if her watch was accidentally packed into someone else's bag? Thanks!

Trace
Trace Malinowski
Technical Training Director
PDIC International

#10 FOGPOG

FOGPOG

Getting started

• Pip
  • 1 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI MASTER DIVER, DIVING MOSTLY OFF NJ COAST.
  • Logged Dives:168 TODATE

Posted 27 November 2005 - 02:58 PM

I AGREE, THE DAY WAS A VERY INTERESTING EVENT. HAPPY TO MEET SOME NEW FRIENDS AND GREAT DIVERS. THE BBQ DID HIT THE SPOT AND THE NIGHT DIVE WAS VERY INTERESTING.
AS TO THE HH, FOR ME IT RAN ON. BUT NEXT TIME I'LL BE READY FOR IT.
THANKS AGAIN TO ALL MY NEW DIVER FRIENDS.

FRANCIS
AKA FOGPOG

#11 annasea

annasea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 27 November 2005 - 06:17 PM

Hey FOGPOG,

Seeing as this is your first post... Welcome to SD! :P

#12 Ariesno1

Ariesno1

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 648 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:600

Posted 28 November 2005 - 07:52 AM

Everyone, Wanda is missing her Citizen dive watch. Could everyone please check their gear bags to see if her watch was accidentally packed into someone else's bag? Thanks!

Trace

No, Trace, Wanda's watch was not in my bag. I hope she gets it back or finds it soon.

#13 Guest_PlatypusMan_*

Guest_PlatypusMan_*
  • Guests

Posted 28 November 2005 - 09:15 PM

Trace

If Wanda's watch doesn't turn up, please have her contact me; I'll see if I can help her obtain a replacement.

Platypusman
Run! Run!! Platypus mating season has begun!!!

#14 TraceMalin

TraceMalin

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 767 posts
  • Cert Level:Junior Jedi Knight
  • Logged Dives:6000+ (combined scuba & extended range freedives)

Posted 28 November 2005 - 11:14 PM

From my point of view as an instructor, I found that trying to cram so much into a two day weekend doesn't work too well. Lessons learned. First, if you're an instructor do not share a room with any divemaster candidates who are taking the divemaster course as a reason to hang out with you because you've been missed -- especially if going to Banana Joe's is the selling point for a particular divemaster candidate. You won't get any sleep! Speaking of sleep, starting at 6 A.M. is crazy! Whose idea was that? I knew if we were going to actually run certification classes and get dives in, we'd have to start early, but late nights, early mornings and cold air and water don't exactly make for a blast -- unless you're looking for the arctic kind! Unfortunately, because of the cold, there was little interest in working on developing skills. Everyone was mostly concerned with survival! :thankyou: Dutch Springs' condensed hours further shortened the amount of time between dives to really cover things in detail, make dives, debrief, watch video and have fun. I respect everyone for their willingness to deal with British SAS selection rather than just a fun weekend. So, next time, no cold water or air, no early mornings, etc. I think I got 2 hours of sleep total for the weekend which threw me off my game. I also got lazy about strapping a canister light on for a night dive so I used my Scout backup light instead. Not a good idea when you're planning to navigate a road! Utlizing divemaster students added both positives and negatives to the experience. Those who took it seriously were a definite asset to training and those that didn't provided comic relief. Only Marci and Kamala dove the second day. Alex, one of my divemaster students, made a dive with a friend while Tobias, Chris and Wanda decided to bag Sunday's dive. Wanda stole the show as a divemaster student. She procured a much needed grill for both days of diving. Marci should become a green beret since her motivation to learn the backup kick led her to swim out on Sunday while shivering and cursing the cold through blue lips. The good news is she proved she has spunk and that her lips could compliment pink gear since blue and pink seem to go together. She stayed with me and Kamala until we reached the helicopter then she decided to go up. I think she signaled "up?" It was hard to tell when someone's thumb is bouncing all over due to shivering. Kamala toughed it out to see some diving skills that blew her mind. I'll let her brag about me if she wants! :cheerleader: By the way, Kamala dives much better than she lets on here on the board. I think we can turn her into a serious technical and cave diver. For those that attended, do you think it would have been better not to run certification courses and just concentrate on skills & equipment? I also think that even though everyone said that they got somethimg out of the course that the content I want to cover in these techreational clinics is more geared for the diver who is interested in going into the technical realm, wants to improve tech skills without having to drink the kool aid or whose diving will border on the technical. Or, for those recreational divers who just want to understand what techies do and who may want to improve their scuba diving. I've learned a lot from doing this first one without a lot of planning. Our next one is Florida in January in the Springs. I'm guessing that crowd will be more interested in DIR compared to Doing What Works, etc. For me this was a learning experience and I've found ways to improve the clinic 100% already.

Trace
Trace Malinowski
Technical Training Director
PDIC International

#15 normblitch

normblitch

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts
  • Board Status:Ginnie Springs 12/17, Crystal River 12/18...
  • Cert Level:Cave
  • Logged Dives:522

Posted 29 November 2005 - 06:35 AM

Trace,

although I wasn't there, I HAVE been to similar "boot-camps", and I'm betting that I just read a very honest & objective critique of DS.... :thankyou:

(again, having not attended DS this may be out of School) I have been very Blessed over the last few years in attending several "charm schools" (as opposed to cert classes) in areas like RB's, Vertical Rope work, Cave Survey, and UW photo...while there is ALWAYS a place for Structured Certification, I'm seeing an upswing in "demo" style Ed, and IMHO this is a GOOD THING!.

It really doesn't take Fundy 1 to demonstrate horizontal trim, or Apprentice Cave to handle a reel... IMHO, NOW is the TIME to have "clinics" that ease the motivated AOW'er into the finer points of Tech, which (again IMHO) are really nothing more than safer and more efficient ways of diving OC.

I'm STOKED!

AND, I have it on good 3rd-barstool down gossip that UW pics may be available for self-critique and anaylsis!

:cheerleader:

Norm

... I also think that even though everyone said that they got somethimg out of the course that the content I want to cover in these techreational clinics is more geared for the diver who is interested in going into the technical realm, wants to improve tech skills without having to drink the kool aid or whose diving will border on the technical. Or, for those recreational divers who just want to understand what techies do and who may want to improve their scuba diving. I've learned a lot from doing this first one without a lot of planning. Our next one is Florida in January in the Springs. I'm guessing that crowd will be more interested in DIR compared to Doing What Works, etc. For me this was a learning experience and I've found ways to improve the clinic 100% already.

Trace

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users