• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

So how was Dutch Springs?

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#16 Basslet

Basslet

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts
  • Cert Level:OW
  • Logged Dives:150

Posted 29 November 2005 - 08:14 AM

Well, I'm kind of glad I didn't go then because I really have no interest in becoming a DM and I hate being cold.. I had thought originally, that it was more of a skill class. I would be very interested in learning the "finer" points of tech diving.e.g. using a reel for wreck, etc. I also would like to learn othe kicks, like the back up one, which I think is essential for UW photography, and the helicopter (though I really have no idea what that is). The next cert I want to get is rescue, but I can do that locally.

BTW, Bravo Marci!!! And I knew Kamala was a good diver because she was my buddy in NC for a dive, and then my regular buddy, Doris and me, teamed up with Kamala on the 3rd day.

#17 normblitch

normblitch

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts
  • Board Status:Ginnie Springs 12/17, Crystal River 12/18...
  • Cert Level:Cave
  • Logged Dives:522

Posted 29 November 2005 - 08:31 AM

All the skills you mention are easily introduced in OW situations...hopefully, Trace will be budgeting time in the January Springs Fling for this...

The backup kick, simply stated, is a frog kick done in reverse order...FWIW, mine is NOT practiced enough to be faster astern than a Lonely Manatee goes forward... :cheerleader:

The helicopter kick is more involved, but eliminates the need for sculling with one's hands when a simple yaw in place is needed...it ALSO serves as an Humble-er for those trying it for the first time..I REALLY need help with THIS one... :thankyou:

Norm

I would be very interested in learning the "finer" points of tech diving.e.g. using a reel for wreck, etc. I also would like to learn othe kicks, like the back up one, which I think is essential for UW photography, and the helicopter (though I really have no idea what that is).

#18 BabyDuck

BabyDuck

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:60+

Posted 29 November 2005 - 06:09 PM

gosh, trace... :welcome: thanks... though i didn't really get cold the second day until the helicopter. (which is odd. i looked back through my log & my coldest was 46 for 34 min, and these were 55 for 30 and 28. maybe i'm getting wimpier.) i think we canned the back-kick practice - thanks for the new hand signal - in perfect time to swim around some & keep me warm for a while. though, DAMN that swim back to the beach was chilly! and pink gear?!? only the bungee, baby! most of the rest is pure regulation black!

hmm, better to do certs or not? i don't think that's a fair question. it wasn't what drew me, but it may have been the draw for some. i'd say that the groups you listed as the future focus are the perfect audience, and wouldn't want cert classes as much as assessments, but that wasn't exactly the way the first was laid out and that's ok.

norm, i figured out what i *call* helicopter on my own. i guess that would be the sort of thing to have critiqued at the next rec-to-tech, because since it is really really easy, i'm sure i'm doing it wrong. my backup, however, improved at the first rec-to-tech from actually moving me forward to not moving me anywhere.

ellen, the dm candidates were a separate group of 'mo' bettah divahs' who know trace from god-knows-where, not a group of sd-ers. they were supposed to be kinda like his ta's, but we gave them a real workout! i really liked them all, but since i went drinking with them two nights (ok, full disclosure - Kamala, trace, me, and them with wanda and i think trace not drinking the first, and hh the second with me & them closing the place down), i likely got to know them more than probably the others did.

suggestions for the next are exactly what i want, but that doesn't mean this one was a bust. i really enjoyed it!

#19 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,487 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 29 November 2005 - 08:01 PM

Well, I'm kind of glad I didn't go then because I really have no interest in becoming a DM and I hate being cold.. I had thought originally, that it was more of a skill class. I would be very interested in learning the "finer" points of tech diving.e.g. using a reel for wreck, etc. I also would like to learn othe kicks, like the back up one, which I think is essential for UW photography, and the helicopter (though I really have no idea what that is). The next cert I want to get is rescue, but I can do that locally.

BTW, Bravo Marci!!! And I knew Kamala was a good diver because she was my buddy in NC for a dive, and then my regular buddy, Doris and me, teamed up with Kamala on the 3rd day.

Actually Ellen the final content of the next Techreational Clinic will probably still differ from the 3rd one we are planning and even the 4th one. Yes folks...Trace has agreed to work with SD to perfect these clinics and acheive the right combination of 'tech and rec' so that divers like Ellen who want additional skills for photography, or reel work, kicks for ALL situations and ALL occasions, or divers like myself who want to be more streamlined in the water and therefore eliminate drag, or who want gear that travels LIGHT but can handle my drysuit or doubles should I decide to use them one day or even just help me understand the myriad of dive gear and technical gear out there...it can't ALL be good or even equal can it? Or perhaps someone who thinks that they may take a DIR fundamental class but don't want to flunk it the first time at $375+ a pop and substantial embarrassment...all of which can be had and learned from these clinics as we refine them.

Yes we'll offer nitrox and equipment specialties with emphasis on field repair vs. breaking down a reg and attempting to service it yourself...rather we'll focus on how to fix something in say Fiji where there is no diveshop and you still have 2 weeks of diving ahead of you and you DON'T want to use rental gear. Or perhaps you are on your dream liveaboard and something breaks and there are no 'personal back ups'...would you be prepared? If you took Trace's clinic you'd know exactly what to do in a host of conditions and real life field situations.

So do tell us what you want...and tell us what you DO NOT WANT. I think Trace assumed that many people in Florida would have already been exposed to more technical diving due to all the caves there. However it has been my experience that most divers from everywhere are still quite recreational but STILL want to be able to do a tight swim thru and not touch the coral....or do Devil's Throat in Cozumel and NOT stir up the sand for the divers behind them....or just understand some of the technical gear and diving styles so that no one can criticize the way that they dive because it is WHAT WORKS.... which is Trace's whole new theme....DivingWhatWorks!!! Bottom line is...only YOU can decide what diving works best for you...not anyone else....however having as much knowledge about your options and what is out there is key to your success.

So let us know...we are excited about making these clinics and/or certs ROCK!!!! -ww

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#20 Latitude Adjustment

Latitude Adjustment

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts
  • Cert Level:EanX
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 11 December 2005 - 02:15 PM

Here's part of the group at Banana Joe's, the others drifted in after they warmed up from the night dive.

Posted Image

Kamala, Melissa and I

Posted Image

Kamala getting a back rub from Wanda

Posted Image

Edited by Latitude Adjustment, 11 December 2005 - 02:18 PM.

I, Latitude Adjustment (insert log in name), do hereby swear, (politely), that I shall not hold SingleDivers, (SD), nor any SD poster, (real or imagined), liable, nor shall I seek legal restitution, (real or imagined), for any perceived, (real or imagined), offenses I may incur, (or Incurrrrrrrrrr on talk like a pirate day), that may or may not be posted on this or any SCUBA related board, (real or imagined), by anyone, (real or imagined), anywhere, (real or imagined). Further, I void any right to privacy, (real or imagined), as it may, or may not relate to any posting, (real or imagined), about me, to me, for me, because of me, all about me, my dog, my cat, my bird, my monkey, my family, (real or imagined), my friends, (real or imagined), or my world, (real or imagined).

By all that is wet, I do hereby swear, (politely), and attest, upon pain of never diving again, (real or imagined), that I understand and affirm, that I agree to the above.

_________________________________________(log in name signature)
Signed and Dated

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users