• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

What piece(s) of dive equipment have you ruined?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 05 December 2005 - 05:48 PM

As I had a regulator blow on my Argon bottle this past weekend - I started thinking back on all my equipment failures and which ones "hurt" the most.

The first two that came to mind were the worst two in connection with my pocket book.

The first: I had a lovely compact TUSA RS230 regulator that I recreationally dove for a couple years. A few years ago I was on one of our local dive charters and we had set up our gear, secured the tanks and were making our way to the dive site. It was a little choppy that day and well my nice little compact first stage was so compact with smooth edges that the bungee didn't hold it as secure as everyone else's and next thing we hear is a loud BOOM and a free flow. Sure enough, my tank had come unsecured, fallen, and knocked the first stage clean off the tank. Amazingly once the situation was contained the first stage reconnected, it still worked. I of course had the reg checked and cleared before continuing to dive it, but even after that about every 8-10 set-ups it would unseat and blow (a couple times while ON ME). So I drove to a shop in another city and had it looked at very carefully and the verdict was the first stage yoke nut was so minutely tilted (or bent) it was almost unnoticeable, but would allow at times for the O-ring to slip out and the first stage blow. I had to replace the yoke nut for a little over $100 in parts and labor, but moved completely to DIN regs shortly thereafter.

Hind-sight prevention: to have found another way to secure my tank than having the bungee simply snapped over my compact "edgeless" first stage. Not much for the bungee to grip.

The second: On the first dive of a Deep Diver Specialty Course I was teaching, my UK HID Light Cannon 100 went out at 90'. I had just changed the batteries and couldn't believe it was failing on me. So at closer inspection I see the pinched O-ring!!!! I completely flooded the light. It was pitch black at depth and I was left to guide my divers with my back-up "pen" light. Coincidentally I was diving off the same dive charter as I was when my reg bit the deck! :birthday: When I completed my dive and surfaced, I opened my light to see how bad the damage was, as I had never flooded a light. Who-boy that sucker was bubbling, fizzing, and frothing. There was nothing salvageable. It was $250 worth of toast.

Hind-sight prevention: O-ring check.....dar!

In closing, which one hurt the most? Well the reg that blew on the Argon bottle this past weekend happened to be side mounted on my doubles upside down and pointed at my left cheek. I have a bruise the size of Montana and my rear end! :birthday: So I'd have to say that one "hurt" the most.

[On a side educational equipment note, when using a dedicated reg/bottle for suit inflation purposes please have an Over Pressurization Valve (OPV) on the reg if it's not built into the reg already. Mine was built in, thank goodness, or my suit could have instantly inflated. Although my failure occurred on the surface during our safety checks AND my reg had a built in OPV, if it hadn't and the reg fully failed at depth, it could have shot me to the surface. Thanks to my training, I knew what appropriate equipment to be using instead of unknowingly attempting to mimic set-ups I've seen divers use.]
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#2 Latitude Adjustment

Latitude Adjustment

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts
  • Cert Level:EanX
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 06 December 2005 - 07:19 AM

The one that hurt me the most was on a dive off West Palm Beach, went to take a picture of my son and all I had was the bolt snap. Bought another Sea & Sea camera but it stopped working, sent to Sea & Sea for service but when I got it back the stobe had really sloooow cycle times, called Sea & Sea only to find they had closed their service department and contracted out the service. The contractor wanted to start from scrach and wouldn't honor the work already done. Decided it was time to go digital.
I, Latitude Adjustment (insert log in name), do hereby swear, (politely), that I shall not hold SingleDivers, (SD), nor any SD poster, (real or imagined), liable, nor shall I seek legal restitution, (real or imagined), for any perceived, (real or imagined), offenses I may incur, (or Incurrrrrrrrrr on talk like a pirate day), that may or may not be posted on this or any SCUBA related board, (real or imagined), by anyone, (real or imagined), anywhere, (real or imagined). Further, I void any right to privacy, (real or imagined), as it may, or may not relate to any posting, (real or imagined), about me, to me, for me, because of me, all about me, my dog, my cat, my bird, my monkey, my family, (real or imagined), my friends, (real or imagined), or my world, (real or imagined).

By all that is wet, I do hereby swear, (politely), and attest, upon pain of never diving again, (real or imagined), that I understand and affirm, that I agree to the above.

_________________________________________(log in name signature)
Signed and Dated

#3 TraceMalin

TraceMalin

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 767 posts
  • Cert Level:Junior Jedi Knight
  • Logged Dives:6000+ (combined scuba & extended range freedives)

Posted 06 December 2005 - 05:12 PM

I had a regulator blow on my Argon bottle this past weekend

Speaking of argon, most people think that the use of argon for suit inflation helps because the gas is more dense than air. But, that's only one factor and doesn't really paint the whole picture. For those interested, here are two articles that might be helpful.

http://www.decompres...n/Why_Argon.htm

and

http://www.decompres...tical_Argon.htm

By the way, most of my diving gear needs servicing right now. Things that are wrong with my equipment.

1) Manifold leak in through the right knob due to O-ring wear thanks to constantly teaching valve drills.
2) Goodman handle on Pro 14 light broke the other day when I was adjusting it due to steel screws, aluminum handle & salt water.
3) Small puncture in Halcyon single tank wing.
4) Had to replace the dump valve cord with cave line in my Seatec doubles wing. I have a very slow leak in that wing. I removed the bladder which is fine and discovered I need to replace the seals around my inflator which is designed the exact opposite of every wing kit I have available to me.
5) Two Zeagle Flathead VI's need servicing.
6) Mares and Sherwood regulators need servicing.
7) One broken SPG, two SPG hoses and O-rings in another SPG need replacing.
8) DUI Norseman drysuit has a leak somewhere in my left leg. When they serviced my valves and replaced my zipper, the inflator no longer swivels which needs attention and I need my wrist seals replaced.
9) Right wetsuit boot zipper broke.
10) X-shorts pockets tore so often that it's time to replace the shorts. They've had it.
11) Line in my 50 foot spool needs to be replaced.
12) All reels need servicing.
13) One Scout backup light is roached completely.
14) My Citizen watch is giving me 4 second "battery about to die" sweeps.
15) My back up watch needs new pins.
16) Two 3mm surf wetsuits have had it.
17) 30 cu.ft. tank has a damaged valve.
18) Needed to replace my masters swim team suit today.
19) My surfboard has a nice valley runing through it thanks to a New Jersey rock.
20) I'm too jaded to be an instructor anymore

Solutions:

Need more gear so I can service things on time and not wait until I dive them into the ground thanks to constant diving. Need a new girlfriend with money to buy me new gear and cure my jadedness. Any takers?

Trace
Trace Malinowski
Technical Training Director
PDIC International

#4 Desert_Diver

Desert_Diver

Everyone knows me

• Charter Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI AOW, TDI Nitrox (does it really matter to you??)
  • Logged Dives:130 something

Posted 06 December 2005 - 09:08 PM

I *really* appreciate the post from LA on the *NEW* *LESS RESPONSIVE* customer service from S&S... and it ought to be shouted from the rooftops to warn anyone just getting into UW photography. The LAST thing we need from an UW camera shop is crappy service, 'cos cameras are probably the MOST likely thing to get sent back to the manufacturer for service, with drysuits #2.

Noting the thread on Argon, read Thermal Insulation Properties of Argon Used as a Dry Suit Inflation Gas.
Undersea Hyper Med 2001;28(3):137-143, and there's still a copy at http://www.angelfire...vers3/Argon.pdf

Later on, the US military did the same test with different underwear and got better results. Seems like you have to be diving Thinsulite or something that allows the gas to move around for argon to do ANY real good. If you're diving a wolly bear, don't bother with argon 'cos the trapped air in the undies negates any real effect from changing gasses. I like woolies, so I don't mess with Yet Another Bottle of gas.

(I'm not a genius on argon, but there was a looonnng argument about it on SB that I watched)

#5 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts
  • Cert Level:Course Director; CCR Instructor
  • Logged Dives:2000+

Posted 06 December 2005 - 10:28 PM

I don't think anyone can top me on this one. Trust me, I don't want to win in this category.

I trashed a $3,600 scooter in a car accident. I still don't know how much it will cost to fix. I wasn't even smart enough to trash it while diving. :cool2:
"The most important thing is not to stop questioning." Albert Einstein

"For the diligent diver, closed circuit rebreathers are actually safer than open circuit scuba." Tom Mount

#6 TekDiveGirl

TekDiveGirl

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 242 posts
  • Cert Level:Technical Divemaster - trained through advanced wreck and Advanced Tri-mix
  • Logged Dives:A whole bunch - I don't know excactly as my logbook was destroyed... )-; It's a long story -- you really don't want to know...

Posted 06 December 2005 - 11:09 PM

I don't think anyone can top me on this one. Trust me, I don't want to win in this category.

I trashed a $3,600 scooter in a car accident. I still don't know how much it will cost to fix. I wasn't even smart enough to trash it while diving. :cool2:

Insurance won't cover it? You would think that it would.

If not -- I would be :dltears: :dltears: :dltears: right along with you if it were me.
Kimber

Pink ~~~
It's the New Black!!!

#7 TraceMalin

TraceMalin

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 767 posts
  • Cert Level:Junior Jedi Knight
  • Logged Dives:6000+ (combined scuba & extended range freedives)

Posted 06 December 2005 - 11:41 PM

Noting the thread on Argon, read Thermal Insulation Properties of Argon Used as a Dry Suit Inflation Gas.
Undersea Hyper Med 2001;28(3):137-143, and there's still a copy at http://www.angelfire...vers3/Argon.pdf

Later on, the US military did the same test with different underwear and got better results. Seems like you have to be diving Thinsulite or something that allows the gas to move around for argon to do ANY real good. If you're diving a wolly bear, don't bother with argon 'cos the trapped air in the undies negates any real effect from changing gasses. I like woolies, so I don't mess with Yet Another Bottle of gas.

(I'm not a genius on argon, but there was a looonnng argument about it on SB that I watched)

What it really boils down to is that the "Doing It Right" way is to use C4 Thinsulate with argon & the C4 will also keep you warm with a flooded suit.

Trace
Trace Malinowski
Technical Training Director
PDIC International

#8 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 06 December 2005 - 11:51 PM

Hmmm... most of the equipment I don't still have was either worn out or "lost." I don't know how many wetsuits I've gone through in 44 years. I've just started using my new Tilos 7/5 Titanium full suit after retiring my old threadbare legless Seaquest. I've still got all my BCD's (since I just started using them in 1989 and didn't buy one until the 90's). My 3mm Tilos hooded vest was stolen. My DIN-to-yoke adaptor was borrowed and never returned (can't remember who borrowed it). My last dive bag wore through after I filled it with rocks to serve as an emergency weight belt. I still have all my fins except my first two pairs.

My regs are all Mk10/G250's. They don't wear out, they just keep getting maintained. I "lost" or gave away my spear guns (probably when I stopped taking game in 1975).

Oh, I guess my 13 cu ft pony might count. The aluminium bottle is so pitted I'm not sure I want to hydro it and still use it. I dive steel and I think electrolysis was the culprit there. Next pony (to be purchased next week) will probably be a 19 and I'll attach a sacrificial zinc to prevent electrolysis.

Oh, ya... my first Cressi Big Eyes broke but my replacement still works great... as do the half dozen other masks in my bags and dive lockers.

Oh, and I've worn out a few dive buddies. They've gone off and gotten married and don't dive anymore. Always on the lookout for nude (er, new) ones.

#9 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts
  • Cert Level:Course Director; CCR Instructor
  • Logged Dives:2000+

Posted 06 December 2005 - 11:53 PM

What it really boils down to is that the "Doing It Right" way is to use C4 Thinsulate with argon & the C4 will also keep you warm with a flooded suit.

Trace

This is exactly why you will find me boiling on the boat in the Summer while diving dry. I always use some sort of Thinsulate thermals (mostly 100 gram) just in case of a suit flood during a cold water upwelling where I have to perform extensive decompression. Once in the water, I do not get overheated at all. Actually, I am quite comfortable.

There are people who wear silkweight long underwear and use Argon. If ever they have to deco for an hour in 60 degree water while in a flooded suit, they will finally get it. :cool2:
"The most important thing is not to stop questioning." Albert Einstein

"For the diligent diver, closed circuit rebreathers are actually safer than open circuit scuba." Tom Mount

#10 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic

Posted 07 December 2005 - 01:29 AM

20) I'm too jaded to be an instructor anymore

I could share that sentiment, but I won't allow myself and neither should you. I forge on knowing that something good is coming my way. :cool2:
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#11 Latitude Adjustment

Latitude Adjustment

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts
  • Cert Level:EanX
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 07 December 2005 - 06:57 AM

I *really* appreciate the post from LA on the *NEW* *LESS RESPONSIVE* customer service from S&S... and it ought to be shouted from the rooftops to warn anyone just getting into UW photography. The LAST thing we need from an UW camera shop is crappy service, 'cos cameras are probably the MOST likely thing to get sent back to the manufacturer for service, with drysuits #2.

Desert Diver, to add more fuel to the fire about Sea & Sea service, in April when I was in Fiji a woman had seven Sea & Sea strobes all just serviced by S & S for this trip. Some flooded first time in and by the end of the trip only three were still working. Her three Nikonis V's did fine. In case your wondering what you do with three full camera set ups, well her husband was the camera caddy passing over whatever camera set up was best for that shot.
I, Latitude Adjustment (insert log in name), do hereby swear, (politely), that I shall not hold SingleDivers, (SD), nor any SD poster, (real or imagined), liable, nor shall I seek legal restitution, (real or imagined), for any perceived, (real or imagined), offenses I may incur, (or Incurrrrrrrrrr on talk like a pirate day), that may or may not be posted on this or any SCUBA related board, (real or imagined), by anyone, (real or imagined), anywhere, (real or imagined). Further, I void any right to privacy, (real or imagined), as it may, or may not relate to any posting, (real or imagined), about me, to me, for me, because of me, all about me, my dog, my cat, my bird, my monkey, my family, (real or imagined), my friends, (real or imagined), or my world, (real or imagined).

By all that is wet, I do hereby swear, (politely), and attest, upon pain of never diving again, (real or imagined), that I understand and affirm, that I agree to the above.

_________________________________________(log in name signature)
Signed and Dated

#12 sudsymark

sudsymark

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,062 posts
  • Cert Level:Certified as teenager, SSI DiveCon and Scuba Ranger Instructor
  • Logged Dives:130

Posted 08 December 2005 - 12:02 PM

While teaching a Stress and Rescue class and explaining how equipment problems can cause stress my 6 month old BC developed a leak in the seam. It was a good example of how it's the little things that get you as they watched me finish the class using unfamiliar shop equipment.

I was lucky in that the BC was still under warrenty and I didnt have to pay for repair but it could have been a real pinch to the pocket book if I did have to replace it.
In the end we will conserve only what we love; we will love only what we underdstand; and we will only understand what we are taught. -Baba Dioum

#13 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts

Posted 08 December 2005 - 03:27 PM

OOOOOOO did I mention I flooded my $800+ air integrated dive computer while teaching a class? A button popped off and I watched the screen flicker as it started to die and the water creep in....I shed some tears underwater on that one!

#14 Trimix2dive

Trimix2dive

Everyone knows me

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced Trimix
  • Logged Dives:519

Posted 08 December 2005 - 08:57 PM

I one set my tanks on top of the ex-wifes mask and broke it. It was sad then, but now.........

#15 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts

Posted 09 December 2005 - 03:07 AM

I one set my tanks on top of the ex-wifes mask and broke it. It was sad then, but now.........

:P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users