• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Old Boyfriends / Girlfriends

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Dennis

Dennis

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Open Water II, & Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 17 December 2005 - 08:37 AM

This one could go either here or in the Topics Related to Being Single, so I want everyone to answer if they choose to do so.

Ok, for you divorced people out there, this is not about old spouses.

This is about your old boyfriends or girlfriends. This thread is for all of you, single, married, whatever. I guess this could be a poll, but I want verbiage, not just votes.

Are you still friends?
Can you still be friends?
Do you even know where they are or what they are doing?
Do you still remember those relationships with a smile on your face?
Were they bad relationships?
How do you think they think of you?
Any other thoughts you would like to share?

This could be a fun thread.

So, how about me? I have had just two old girlfriends that really touched me in very special ways. Not that I didn’t have very strong feelings about other girls, I did. My very first real crush was on a girl that I met in 3rd grade and we still keep in touch. That girl was one of the most beautiful girls and now women I have ever known. She is a wonderful friend and I cherish our friendship very much.

But, I digress. Back to the two. The first one is really my first true love and we were together for a couple of years. We were together my senior year in high school and my first year of college. I was sure she would be the one I would marry and that was that. I was head over heals in love. She was going to college at the University of Florida and I was going to a Community College and working full time to save money to go to the University. Well, she decided she wanted to get married while we were in school. There was no way. I told here that as soon as I finished college and got a good engineering job, I would be ready, but I could barely afford to take care of myself. She would have lost her SS benefits from her father who had passed away, and we would have had to go it alone, paying for college for two of us and trying to live and go to school at the same time. Well, in less than 6 months, she was married. Not to me, but she was married. As hard as it was at the time, I thank God every day. I wound up with the best deal in life. She is now a very good friend and we keep in touch. She has divorced the first guy and has married a really nice guy that loves her very much. I like him. I still care for this lady and I am sure she still cares for me, but I am now with the absolute true love of my life.

The second one. This lady was a friend and was going to college at the community college I was at after my break up with the lady above. We hit it off very nicely and had a pretty steamy relationship for about a year. She was my first and although I loved her, I knew she was not my true love. She is married now, and I am sure she has kids, but I have not kept up with her. I think Walter keeps in touch because they were friends. I have very fond memories of our relationship. I would like to see her again and let her know that she was a very important part of making me who I am today. Maybe one day.

Ok, those stories are way too short to tell everything, but should maybe give you an idea of where I am going with this thread.
DSSW,
Dennis
"Suppose you were an idiot ... And suppose you were a member of Congress ... But I repeat myself." --Mark Twain

#2 drbill

drbill

I spend too much time on line

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 17 December 2005 - 10:21 AM

I still know where most of the women I've been with over the last say 40 years are. With almost all of them I've remained friends. I have lost contact with a few.

One rents a room from me and has been my housemate (sans benefits, we're like brother and sister) for 5+ years. One I used to stay with all the time when I went to the mainland... at least until she moved an hour away from the boat terminal. Another passed away after we broke up. I'm not entirely sure where she is now since she was "naughty" AND "nice."

Edited by drbill, 23 December 2005 - 12:23 PM.

#3 annasea

annasea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 23 December 2005 - 11:45 AM

This is about your old boyfriends or girlfriends.

I'm surprised due to the marital status of most SD members that this thread hasn't garnered more responses. Perhaps the old adage applies...

"If you can't say something nice about someone, don't say anything at all."

:P

#4 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts

Posted 23 December 2005 - 12:24 PM

"If you can't say something nice about someone, don't say anything at all."

Hmmm... I can't think of any former GF I couldn't say something "nice" about (as well as something "naughty," but I'm a gentleman and we don't tell... except thru PM's! Sigh).

#5 scubanick

scubanick

Getting started

• Pip
  • 47 posts
  • Cert Level:OW, basic nitrox, and deep diver
  • Logged Dives:24

Posted 26 December 2005 - 12:46 PM

well i have 2 that i pretend i didn't even date.....dont wanna know much about them
bad relationships.. yes..cheaters

and 1 in another state now that i still keep in touch with we are still friends
we had good relationship i was young though and wanted something different
i still am young though hah she thinks of me..hmm she just knows me to well
not that is a bad thing... we just fit better as friends

and 1 (the last one) that i want to at least be friends
but she kinda being stuck up here lately
i thought we would have went far together
but she had other plans apparently
bad relationship..i didn't think so...i really cared for this girl
not that i didn't with the other one(i dont count the other 2 i spoke of)
she was just awesome

now single again

#6 Mitch0129

Mitch0129

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts
  • Cert Level:OW, AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:290

Posted 26 December 2005 - 01:27 PM

Myself, I always make it a point to try and remain friends with a former girlfriend. Those whom I still have contact with, that is always the case. Most of the time, though, it always works out, at least for me, that we just go our separate ways and more than likely never see or talk to each other again except for a chance meeting at a restaurant or the grocery store.

To me, getting and staying upset over a relationship that went bad is not worth the energy wasted. You get over it and you move on, after all, you never know when and where that special one you have hoped for will turn up.
-Mitch-

#7 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,487 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 26 December 2005 - 01:31 PM

It helps to remain friends if you actually developed a friendship in the first place. Seems kinda silly but once the chemisty has waned a bit...sometimes you find that you never built the relationship on real friendship in the first place...hence being hard to *remain or end up friends*. :birthday:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#8 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts

Posted 26 December 2005 - 01:43 PM

It helps to remain friends if you actually developed a friendship in the first place. Seems kinda silly but once the chemisty has waned a bit...sometimes you find that you never built the relationship on real friendship in the first place...hence being hard to *remain or end up friends*.

Exactly. That's why I prefer to see relationships develop out of friendships in the first place. If you genuinely LIKE one another before those wonderful erotic thoughts start entering your mind, you're much more likely to continue on as friends IF the spark is extinguished.

#9 finley

finley

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW (plus EMT Training)
  • Logged Dives:45

Posted 26 December 2005 - 02:30 PM

It helps to remain friends if you actually developed a friendship in the first place. Seems kinda silly but once the chemisty has waned a bit...sometimes you find that you never built the relationship on real friendship in the first place...hence being hard to *remain or end up friends*.

Exactly. That's why I prefer to see relationships develop out of friendships in the first place. If you genuinely LIKE one another before those wonderful erotic thoughts start entering your mind, you're much more likely to continue on as friends IF the spark is extinguished.

I agree...seems that most (NOT all) men want sometype of instant connection which I believe is more an instant sexual attraction than anything else....Can't judge a book by its cover
who's leading this parade anyway?

#10 Basslet

Basslet

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts
  • Cert Level:OW
  • Logged Dives:150

Posted 26 December 2005 - 03:34 PM

Who can even remember them all? :birthday:

#11 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,487 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 26 December 2005 - 05:16 PM

Who can even remember them all? :birthday:

Hey that's a blonde's line!!! :cool2:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#12 Latitude Adjustment

Latitude Adjustment

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts
  • Cert Level:EanX
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 26 December 2005 - 05:26 PM

The girlfriends I remember, it's an ex-wife I'm blocking out :birthday:
I, Latitude Adjustment (insert log in name), do hereby swear, (politely), that I shall not hold SingleDivers, (SD), nor any SD poster, (real or imagined), liable, nor shall I seek legal restitution, (real or imagined), for any perceived, (real or imagined), offenses I may incur, (or Incurrrrrrrrrr on talk like a pirate day), that may or may not be posted on this or any SCUBA related board, (real or imagined), by anyone, (real or imagined), anywhere, (real or imagined). Further, I void any right to privacy, (real or imagined), as it may, or may not relate to any posting, (real or imagined), about me, to me, for me, because of me, all about me, my dog, my cat, my bird, my monkey, my family, (real or imagined), my friends, (real or imagined), or my world, (real or imagined).

By all that is wet, I do hereby swear, (politely), and attest, upon pain of never diving again, (real or imagined), that I understand and affirm, that I agree to the above.

_________________________________________(log in name signature)
Signed and Dated

#13 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 26 December 2005 - 05:36 PM

The girlfriends I remember, it's an ex-wife I'm blocking out :birthday:

Sorry to hear it, Ray. My ex-wife is a wonderful woman. The only thing wrong with her is she lost her good taste.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#14 Basslet

Basslet

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts
  • Cert Level:OW
  • Logged Dives:150

Posted 26 December 2005 - 06:20 PM

Hey that's a blonde's line!!! :-D

I guess I'm a blonde at heart. :usflag:

#15 ereediver

ereediver

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 236 posts
  • Cert Level:Open water, AOW
  • Logged Dives:17

Posted 30 December 2005 - 12:05 AM

And I thought "We can still be friends" was one of the worst things you could hear from someone you were dating. :banghead: As for old girl friends those who I dated casually I still am friends with a couple of them and still see them as friends ocassionally. The one who I thought was "it" I have not seen or heard from in 20 or more years. Go figure. I guess the heart is not always right, but as Garth Brooks once said "Thank God for Un-answered Prayers"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users