• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

The Florida Dive of the Month!!!

• Please log in to reply
561 replies to this topic

#16 jholley309

jholley309

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts
  • Cert Level:Open Water
  • Logged Dives:20-ish

Posted 05 January 2006 - 04:58 PM

Mikey W at Am Pro in Crystal RIver is ALWAYS trying to hook me into the Homasassa dive instead of (or WITH) the CR venue...

nhb

There's a good reason for that: Homasassa is waaay better than CR; more manatees, and generally less crowded. Vis was better, too. No cavern, but the last time I did CR the cavern was so crowded you couldn't hardly fin without kicking somebody in the face. Another good one while your at AmPro is the Rainbow Springs drift dive. Nice, leisurely 1-1.5 kt drift, takes about an hour if you stop along the way to look for shark teeth. Just don't try to take any bottles into the park with you. They're a bit touchy about disposable containers.

Norm, last time you went to CR where did you stay?

Cheers!

Jim
Courage is not the absence of fear. Courage is what you do in spite of your fear.

Every man has fear. Any man who has no fear belongs in an institution. Or in Special Forces.

#17 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 05 January 2006 - 05:02 PM

How about the last weekend in Feb 25-26th? I would love to see the manatees.

Ok lets do the Manatees for Feb ...I'll need someone to help coordinate the dive for SD. Jill would you be able to help with that???

What a great idea!

Yes this is a great idea and I would be interested in Key Largo march 15th to 18th. I come throu Miami on my return from Honduras but I would love to dive a few days before returning to Montreal...it would be only a question of changing my flight. Let me know if it is possible.

Yes we can do March in Key Largo...might even join in on this one myself! But then I want to join in on ALL of them! Heck I may have to move to Florida!!! :cool2:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#18 AliKat

AliKat

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,232 posts

Posted 05 January 2006 - 05:13 PM

Where ya goin' in Dec? I might be able to join that one. (Me, thinking positive again)
"

#19 nextariel

nextariel

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,531 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:350+

Posted 05 January 2006 - 05:17 PM

Ok lets do the Manatees for Feb ...I'll need someone to help coordinate the dive for SD. Jill would you be able to help with that???

Yes, I can with it, but I have never done it. I bet I can find some willing SD'ers who have posted here to help me figure out the best plan. :cool2:
Laugh at yourself first, before anyone else can. --Elsa Maxwell, September 28, 1958

#20 normblitch

normblitch

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts
  • Board Status:Ginnie Springs 12/17, Crystal River 12/18...
  • Cert Level:Cave
  • Logged Dives:522

Posted 05 January 2006 - 05:39 PM

Good points here...

in Dec, I didn't even lug a jug...just snorkled (cheaper that way as well) ... if you haven't dove Kings Spring, it IS prolly worth the Hop...crowds understood; THAT is why AmPro is 7AM Show, 7:30 GO...the schools (actually dense clouds) of Juvie Mangroves in the mouth is beyond belief.

http://www.pbase.com...26140856/medium

and WHO doesn't tear up a bit the first time they read the Plaque?

Rainbow River IS a good once or twice dive...AmPro also runs it at NIGHT!

Last time I stayed at my Fav...Port Hotel & Marina...BUT, I'm NOT going back until they have the paving of the lot finished...Ugly Story... :cool2:
usual fall-back, Best Western...

Norm

Mikey W at Am Pro in Crystal RIver is ALWAYS trying to hook me into the Homasassa dive instead of (or WITH) the CR venue...

nhb

There's a good reason for that: Homasassa is waaay better than CR; more manatees, and generally less crowded. Vis was better, too. No cavern, but the last time I did CR the cavern was so crowded you couldn't hardly fin without kicking somebody in the face. Another good one while your at AmPro is the Rainbow Springs drift dive. Nice, leisurely 1-1.5 kt drift, takes about an hour if you stop along the way to look for shark teeth. Just don't try to take any bottles into the park with you. They're a bit touchy about disposable containers.

Norm, last time you went to CR where did you stay?

Cheers!

Jim

I'm HERE, Dear...can you feel the LOVE??

:teeth:

Norm

Yes, I can with it, but I have never done it. I bet I can find some willing SD'ers who have posted here to help me figure out the best plan. :-D

#21 konascubagirl

konascubagirl

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 176 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 05 January 2006 - 05:58 PM

was there middle Dec...assuming you get an early boat that goes to Kings Spring, the manatees will RUSH you...no problem with getting them to initiate the Contact...good ops snorkel first, then do the one-tanker in the Cavern...

Norm

I just went diving in Crystal Springs this week, Manatees were there, despite warmer weather but you can't touch them when diving, or 'chase' them- basically what I was told is 'NO diving with Manatees'- just snorkeling. I hear the fines are high.

In the Springs the water temp is always 72, dives are shallow- usually less than 30 ft, but there are exceptions. A 3 mil suit keeps me fine for at least an hour.

Hey Norm!

Is this the deal you were suggesting to me for the couple of free days I have after Ginnie Springs? I wanna get it set up ASAP! Thanks a bunch!

Stef

#22 normblitch

normblitch

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 05 January 2006 - 06:08 PM

Yep...do you still have the website I sent you for AmPro and Mikey the Hunk??

Hey Norm!

Is this the deal you were suggesting to me for the couple of free days I have after Ginnie Springs? I wanna get it set up ASAP! Thanks a bunch!

Stef

#23 konascubagirl

konascubagirl

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 176 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 05 January 2006 - 06:10 PM

Yep...do you still have the website I sent you for AmPro and Mikey the Hunk??

Hey Norm!

Stef

NO....can you pleae re-send it? Thanks a bunch!

Stef

#24 normblitch

normblitch

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 05 January 2006 - 06:36 PM

http://www.americanprodive.com/

ask for Mike Winkels, and use me as a ref...

Norm

NO....can you pleae re-send it? Thanks a bunch!

Stef

#25 Travelnsj

Travelnsj

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 05 January 2006 - 06:48 PM

I have heard Boyton Beach and WPB has very good diving. The best time to go I have heard (water the calmest) is in March or April?....But the water is a little cool?.....What is June like?

Edited by Travelnsj, 06 January 2006 - 12:26 AM.

You must endeavor to pursue!

#26 sunshinediver

sunshinediver

People are starting to get to know me

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 299 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor trainer with SEI and CMAS; HSA (divers with disabilities) and DAN instructor; tech
  • Logged Dives:2312

Posted 05 January 2006 - 07:05 PM

Another good one while your at AmPro is the Rainbow Springs drift dive. Nice, leisurely 1-1.5 kt drift, takes about an hour if you stop along the way to look for shark teeth. Just don't try to take any bottles into the park with you. They're a bit touchy about disposable containers.

I think you mean Rainbow River, right? It is a very nice drift dive, though I'd rather be at Crystal River. I've always had great experiences there.

#27 Adelie

Adelie

Getting started

• Pip
  • 36 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:50+

Posted 08 January 2006 - 09:54 AM

I think a dive per month is a fantastic idea! and I think it doesn't matter where XX month happens to be, you hit the nail on the head with the intro-- FL has such diverse diving, it'll be worth going, wherever the month's destination happens to be.

Jill -- I believe The Port Hotel & Marina in Crystal River are the "primary" operators for snorkeling with the manatee. no idea if there are others, I only know they have a good reputation, so good place to start. their phone number is 352-795-3111. also fyi, this is a spring fed, so water temp is 72

and, as was posted earlier, you can't DIVE with the manatee, you can only snorkel with them. the bubbles & sounds of dive gear will scare them, and since they are still a protected species, they are very cautious about anything that will harm them, which includes spooking them from their refuge location.

kelly

#28 normblitch

normblitch

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts

Posted 08 January 2006 - 10:14 AM

I can't think of a place with more different dive opportunities; FW, SW, gentle stuff for Tyros, and among the most Adverturous for those so trained and inclined...and the DISTANCE between sites is often minimal...

I have ALWAYS been a fan of the Port Hotel, but until they finish paving, I would not go there...plenty of other Motels until then, and IMHO the top Ops are American Pro & Bird's Underwater...

nhb

I think a dive per month is a fantastic idea! and I think it doesn't matter where XX month happens to be, you hit the nail on the head with the intro-- FL has such diverse diving, it'll be worth going, wherever the month's destination happens to be.

Jill -- I believe The Port Hotel & Marina in Crystal River are the "primary" operators for snorkeling with the manatee. no idea if there are others, I only know they have a good reputation, so good place to start. their phone number is 352-795-3111. also fyi, this is a spring fed, so water temp is 72

kelly

#29 odiecho

odiecho

Getting started

• Pip
  • 3 posts
  • Cert Level:OW but working on Nitrox and AOW
  • Logged Dives:less than 50

Posted 11 January 2006 - 08:54 PM

I like the manatees idea also. And I get back from a west coast work trip on the 25th so I could actually make a trip for a change!

#30 finley

finley

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW (plus EMT Training)
  • Logged Dives:45

Posted 11 January 2006 - 08:59 PM

I like the manatees idea also. And I get back from a west coast work trip on the 25th so I could actually make a trip for a change!

How about the first week of march like the 4-11th????
who's leading this parade anyway?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users