• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

The Ginnie Springs TechRec Happy Hour '06

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 17 January 2006 - 04:39 PM

WW asked me to start a thread about the weekends activities and festivites down in cave country. I will say that it was terrific meeting everyone, everyone seemed to have a good time, and everyone appeared to come away with new found knowledge and respect. It was an honor to meet Trace, and certainly an honor to share the water with him.

Unfortunately, the brown stuff is flinging off the fan here at work, and I have to cut this short. I'll post my thoughts on the weekend when I have more time.

-Perrone

#2 BabyDuck

BabyDuck

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 117 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:60+

Posted 19 January 2006 - 03:17 PM

it was terrific fun - lots of 'brokeback mountain' and 'banana' jokes, great food, good dives, i got to try doubles & didn't plant to the bottom (thanks, perrone!), WONDERFUL meeting everyone new. saw manatees, the north american man-man love association (JOKE!), tattoos, undies, depends...we became very close... :cool2:

#3 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 07:47 PM

i got to try doubles & didn't plant to the bottom (thanks, perrone!)

BabyD, it was my pleasure to let you try the doubles. I only wish I could have seen you in the water with them. For a "newish" diver, you are one of the "cleanest" diver's I've ever seen. Excellent trim and buoyancy control, great awareness in the water, and propulsion that was the envy of everyone there. I can only hope that I get close to that in the coming months... some 50 dives from now.

I wish I could have done the Manatee thing, but there was just NO WAY. Maybe another time.

#4 BabyDuck

BabyDuck

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 19 January 2006 - 09:13 PM

thanks, sweetie! :usflag:

i'll be waiting for your fundies report...

#5 gcbryan

gcbryan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts
  • Logged Dives:620

Posted 19 January 2006 - 09:13 PM

I'd like to hear more about the manatees. How hard are they to find, etc.?

#6 captsteve

captsteve

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts
  • Cert Level:aow/nitrox
  • Logged Dives:absolutly no idea

Posted 19 January 2006 - 11:38 PM

i just got home, so while i am winding down i will see if i can do this justice.
the weekend clinic was extremely low-pressure. trace was an excellent instructor. he explained both gear tech and offered instruction in the water. i had a very difficult time getting my trim right, and never made it very far with most of the different kicks. i did however, learn what i needed to be doing, and i am sure that with tons of practice i will eventually get it... babyduck on the other hand was near perfection. most of us felt like we need lots of practice.
on the gear tech, trace preached streamlining....and "NO SUICIDE CLIPS". as babyduck said, we tried doubles etc. there were lots of questions asked, lots of great answers.
so.....what i learned...1)i know just how much i need to practice.2)i know exactly where i need to "evolve" with my dive gear and what will suit me best..)3) i know how to rig so that i can be more efficient, look better and be safer.
now, with that being said.....thanks trace! i absorbed everything you said and your advice will greatly influence my diving. thanks larry! great video! thanks norm! thanks Kamala!

oh.....yeah.....the manatees were great. they are easy to find...

#7 Basslet

Basslet

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts
  • Cert Level:OW
  • Logged Dives:150

Posted 20 January 2006 - 09:29 AM

What's a suicide clip? And I wanna dive with manatees!!!!

#8 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,490 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 20 January 2006 - 10:41 AM

The manatees were in Crystal River and they were certainly one of the highlights of the trip! We swam out to them and waited all but about 2 minutes and the first one came out to play with us...then another and another until we had lots of manatees!

We then did our dive in the cavern and came back up and played with them even more. In fact we saw a momma and a baby nursing which was REALLY REALLY very cool!

Jill is planning our Feb SD Florida Dive to dive with the Manatees and the diver operator American Pro was excellent!!! Seems I had met them at DEMA in 2004 so they remembered me and had great things to say about Jill aka Nextariel and Norm aka NormBlitch!!!

Our members are so :D :cheerleader:

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#9 captsteve

captsteve

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 20 January 2006 - 12:18 PM

lets see....any kind of clip or snap that easily allows another line to become attached, or entangled without that intent.... lets see if trace approves of that definition....

#10 Basslet

Basslet

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts
  • Cert Level:OW
  • Logged Dives:150

Posted 20 January 2006 - 01:35 PM

The manatees were in Crystal River and they were certainly one of the highlights of the trip! We swam out to them and waited all but about 2 minutes and the first one came out to play with us...then another and another until we had lots of manatees!

We then did our dive in the cavern and came back up and played with them even more. In fact we saw a momma and a baby nursing which was REALLY REALLY very cool!

Jill is planning our Feb SD Florida Dive to dive with the Manatees and the diver operator American Pro was excellent!!! Seems I had met them at DEMA in 2004 so they remembered me and had great things to say about Jill aka Nextariel and Norm aka NormBlitch!!!

Our members are so :diver: :cool2:

Sounds tempting but I'm taking off for Thailand in March. I'll just have to arrange a manatee fling some other tiem.

#11 konascubagirl

konascubagirl

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 176 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 20 January 2006 - 06:45 PM

Hi guys! I finally made it to a hotel that had a computer for me to use!

The clinic was absolutely SMASHING! I definately struggled with the cold, but it was sooooo worth it! I came away from the experience with excellent gear config advice, new skills, and new friends. I am missing the BB Mountain crew already....hear the banjo?!

Will write more when I get back to Kona.

Stef

#12 normblitch

normblitch

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts
  • Board Status:Ginnie Springs 12/17, Crystal River 12/18...
  • Cert Level:Cave
  • Logged Dives:522

Posted 20 January 2006 - 07:14 PM

I approve...

They (suicide clips) are more properly called boat snaps...just a hinged gate which pushes back with pressure, as opposed to a barrel-bolt clip...I'll try to post some links to illustrate...

nhb

lets see....any kind of clip or snap that easily allows another line to become attached, or entangled without that intent.... lets see if trace approves of that definition....

#13 BabyDuck

BabyDuck

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 20 January 2006 - 07:16 PM

hey there!

so what are your impressions of the rec-to-tech clinic, norm? oh, and i ended up with that bolt snap. pm me your addy & i'll send it back. i know they're speonce. (that's 'expensive' with a severe accent, btw.)

Edited by BabyDuck, 20 January 2006 - 07:18 PM.

#14 normblitch

normblitch

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts
  • Board Status:Ginnie Springs 12/17, Crystal River 12/18...
  • Cert Level:Cave
  • Logged Dives:522

Posted 20 January 2006 - 07:42 PM

right now, I have welder's eye from PhotoShop, but rest assured, I WILL wax poetic soonest...

Keep the snap along with the HID coosie...one day, you can regals your peeps with stories about how you got them from me! Remember my story about how my new dubs bp 2" belt is autographed by Doc DeWayne H? The bling chain just stretchs ON & ON! Keep it ALIVE!

:lmao:

Norm

hey there!

so what are your impressions of the rec-to-tech clinic, norm? oh, and i ended up with that bolt snap. pm me your addy & i'll send it back. i know they're speonce. (that's 'expensive' with a severe accent, btw.)

#15 captsteve

captsteve

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts

Posted 20 January 2006 - 08:12 PM

thanks norm! that explanation helped.... darn those suicide clips!...............

so...after a good nights sleep, here it is... anyone who doesnt care to dive more than once or twice a year, the clinic probably wouldnt be interesting. anyone who really is into diving HAS to do one of these clinics. like i have said, because of the ginnie springs trip, i have decided where i want to go with my gear, and many of my immediate goals have changed. my opinion is...dont spend another dime on gear until you do one of these clinics!
norm is very reserved, but i believe(if forced) his recommedations would be pretty much the same. like i have said before, trace did an excellent job and i wouldnt hesitate to ask norm advice either.........

ps...........RABBIT.......................

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users