• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

IPB Image

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Twinklez

Twinklez

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 21 January 2006 - 09:42 AM

I've noticed that I can't see pictures uploaded into threads. Instead I get the usual place holder (red x), with a caption saying IPB Image.

I asked one of the posters because I thought it might be the type of image he was uploading, and he said he noticed the same thing occurred on his laptop after posting the picture from his desktop.

#2 Tolly

Tolly

IT Administrator (Retired)

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Open Water
  • Logged Dives:*

Posted 21 January 2006 - 09:56 AM

Which post did you notice this occuring on?

Also, take a second to verify your Board Settings allow you to see images within posts: <click me>

Middle section, labeled "Board Settings", second line:

"Do you wish to view images in posts, such as smilies and posted images?"

SingleDivers can help you plan your personal or family dive trips! Send us an e-mail: SD Travel

"Give me the money that has been spent in war and I will clothe every man, woman, and child in an attire of which kings and queens will be proud. I will build a schoolhouse in every valley over the whole earth. I will crown every hillside with a place of worship consecrated to peace." Charles Sumner

"All that is necessary for evil to succeed is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke

"Be the little boy" Dive_Girl

dilemma.gif

#3 Brinybay

Brinybay

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:580

Posted 21 January 2006 - 01:16 PM

I've noticed the same thing. Yes, I checked my board settings, it shows YES to "display images". It shows up consistantly in Platypusman's posts. It also did it in one of my posts where I linked directly to an image on another Web site. To correct it, I d/l the image and uploaded it to my own Web site, then I went back and edited the post to have the image displayed by linking to it from my own Web site. Not sure how that made a difference, but it worked.
"The cure for anything is saltwater--sweat, tears, or the sea." - Isak Dinesen

"A good marriage is like an interlocking neurosis, where the rocks in one person's head fill up the holes in the other's."

#4 annasea

annasea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 21 January 2006 - 01:38 PM

I, too, have the same problem... at least with PlatypusMan's posts.

Another problem I'm having is the site keeps crashing my browser, Safari. I've downloaded Firefox but haven't tried it out yet. Another thing I'm noticing, browser related, as of late is that I'll click on something and Safari says it can't open that page. I'll click again and it's fine. (But a drag nonetheless.)

#5 Guest_PlatypusMan_*

Guest_PlatypusMan_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 January 2006 - 08:39 AM

I'm wondering if it's browser-related. Last night at the Houston Happy Hour, I asked around and everyone there has been able to view the images.

Platypusman

Edited by PlatypusMan, 22 January 2006 - 09:24 AM.

#6 Twinklez

Twinklez

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 22 January 2006 - 09:28 AM

I'm wondering if it's browser-related. Last night at the Houston Happy Hour, I asked around and everyone there has been able to view the images.

Platypusman

Not sure, but if I click on your post to reply I can see the link. I can paste the link into my browser and see the image just fine.

I had the problem with a site one of my members was linking to on my divelocal forum. After I pasted the link in my own browser, I could go back to his thread and see his picture just fine. I had to do that for each and every one of them.

With yours, it's not working that way. I can see the pic if I cut and paste into the browser, but when I go back to the thread I still get the same place holder.

#7 Desert_Diver

Desert_Diver

Everyone knows me

• Charter Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI AOW, TDI Nitrox (does it really matter to you??)
  • Logged Dives:130 something

Posted 22 January 2006 - 12:24 PM

It probably is a browser-specific issue. There's soooo many different versions of browsers and different settings within each browser that it's hard to troubleshoot unless one of us has the same browser and version.

My preferred browser (Opera) aborts and dies about three times per hour as I'm surfing the 'net, but it hasn't blown on the SD pages, yet. I also use Firefox, and it doesn't have any issues here. My pop-up and junk filter causes some grief, but I can enable/disable it on the fly.

As I peel apart the new pages, it looks like the first 2/3rds of each one is a Cascading Style Sheet (CSS) that's bolted in-line in the code, which could cause problems for some browsers. There's a little JavaScript, and that's what causes Opera to barf on occasion if it's especially complex code. Doesn't appear to be the case at SD.

I'd suspect you might have a setting like 'use my CSS settings' or 'use my style preferences', which would cause the in-line code to fail.

In general, Firefox has the best chance of displaying pages with specific IE code, so that's what I recommend for the average user. I've been telling folks in Phoenix to *stop* using IE for almost 3 years, ever since the browser hijacks started getting so nasty. IE is by far the LEAST secure application you have on your computer, whether it's up-to-date and patched or not. Microsoft couldn't write a secure app to save their life. I foolishly updated my favorite Win2K box to IE6 SP-1 after my bank kept nagging about it, and it's screwed a bunch of settings in *other* Windows functions that used to work just fine. Defaults don't, etc.

I'm available for off-line help, if anyone needs it. I'll need to know what OS you're using and version (XP, 2K, 98 and what service pack), as well as browser, it's version (Help - About) and screen captures of it's SETTINGS pages. PM me for my (soon to change) e-mail. I'm busily packing for a move to Plano, but I have some idle time in the evenings after work, LOTS more free time after I move.

I don't have Safari, so I can't help much, there, but I do have older & newer versions of IE, Opera and Firefox.

One other thing to consider: you may well have a browser hijack running, particularly if you're using IE, even just occasionally. Some of 'em will install proxy servers that intercept all calls to the Internet, and can really screw up your browsing experience. The (malware) proxy server could also mess up other browsers, if the browser uses the IE settings for <network settings>. If you suspect you've been hijacked, download HijackThis! from Merijin and e-mail me a copy of it's log file. I've removed unwanted crap from over 100 computers so far, so I'm reasonably adept at spotting and killing it.

#8 Twinklez

Twinklez

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 26 January 2006 - 07:50 AM

Ok, I can see THIS pic posted by John in the DFW HH thread. The other pics are on his blogger site and I can't see them in the thread, but I can see them just fine if I click REPLY and then cut and paste the link into my browser.

ONE DAY AND COUNTING....

Posted Image---I'm prepared for the DFW Happy Hour. Are YOU??

#9 Desert_Diver

Desert_Diver

Everyone knows me

• Charter Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 04 February 2006 - 01:41 AM

Ok, I can see THIS pic posted by John in the DFW HH thread. The other pics are on his blogger site and I can't see them in the thread, but I can see them just fine if I click REPLY and then cut and paste the link into my browser.

Some of the pix are linked from remote sites. It sounds like you're having troubles with the ones where someone links to a photo, instead of uploading it. If they hit the [Insert Image] button on the top toolbar instead of the [attach image?] on the bottom of the edit box, it'll remotely link 'em. I see remotely linked images just fine, which does you absolutely no good. It's purely something weird with how your browser is set up. If you have the security controls cranked down really tight, it might block remote images.

#10 Twinklez

Twinklez

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 04 February 2006 - 10:06 AM

Some of the pix are linked from remote sites. It sounds like you're having troubles with the ones where someone links to a photo, instead of uploading it. If they hit the [Insert Image] button on the top toolbar instead of the [attach image?] on the bottom of the edit box, it'll remotely link 'em. I see remotely linked images just fine, which does you absolutely no good. It's purely something weird with how your browser is set up. If you have the security controls cranked down really tight, it might block remote images.

No, the one that I can see is on a remote site as well. Also, I've removed the https requirement from secure sites and added the blogger site to the list of secure sites. That's what cleared up the problem I had viewing photos on www.deviantart.com from the forum I manage; but doesn't seem to help me for the blogger site that John's using.

I agree with you though...it's something about me (and a few others) and security on our browsers in relation to that particular site. Just can't figure out what it is.

#11 Desert_Diver

Desert_Diver

Everyone knows me

• Charter Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 04 February 2006 - 10:00 PM

I finally saw what you were talking about, and I have the same issue. It looks like the site is blocking access to files if they're coming from an indirect request. Some sites do that to keep folks from remotely linking files, most don't bother. The way to get around it is to block your outgoing referrer header. I can't see any option in Firefox to block referrer headers, nor in IE. If I turn it off in Opera, all of John's pictures show up just dandy, although I had the IBP IMAGE box before I turned the 'referrer logging' off.

What's going on is this: when you load a page that has links to other websites, the board here sends a REFERRER packet with the address where the request came from. If your browser can't handle REFERRER headers, then the SD board doesn't send 'em to John's blogger board, and the image comes through fine. If your browser can accept REFERRER packets, then you don't get to see the image, due to a filter on the blogger board that kills any requests attached to a REFERRER. I *think* I have that correct...

I don't remember if the previous incarnation of the board software sent the REFERRER headers out, but if it didn't, then that's why John's pictures stopped working in December? when the switch happened. It appears that the current board response is correct, per the HTTP standards.

It turns out that my crap filter (AdSubtract) has a check-box to allow REFERRER headers, or block them if checked. If you're using an ad filter, check under it's PRIVACY options for the word REFERRER, or check the help file for it to see if it'll block 'em. Then you'll see his images, BUT some other websites may suddenly break, particularly some of the on-line shopping sites. You may have to turn it on/off on a regular basis. Some of the anonymous proxy servers will also block the REFERRER, but it's annoying to have to enable and disable a proxy server all the time. I'll look around and see if there's a decent free proxy server that you can load to block the REFERRER headers, preferably one with a quick ENABLE/DISABLE button in the system tray.

#12 Twinklez

Twinklez

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 04 February 2006 - 11:02 PM

I think you're right. I've looked and looked and I can't find anywhere to disable sending the referrer url's in IE. But hey, if they allowed us to disable us then how would they spam us to death by googling the referrer logs left behind on the servers we visit? I'll keep looking...when my eyes aren't feeling so tired. Thank for trying so hard to help. :-)

#13 Desert_Diver

Desert_Diver

Everyone knows me

• Charter Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 05 February 2006 - 07:49 AM

I found a freeware anonymous proxy server that works, although it needs a slight tweak. When I initially fired it up and looked at the Jan 27th DFW Happy Hour thread, it blocked Kim and Que's avatar photos, but showed all the other images except the ScubaToys banner ad. It thought Kim and Que's avatars were banner ads 'cos they're both 125x125 pixels. I had to open the default configuration file [Options] [Edit Default Actions] and scroll down to "Innocent images in standard banner sizes found here", then add .tollysworld.com to tell it that anything on this domain is OK. That worked perfectly. Another method would be to eliminate the +filter{banners-by-size} under the 'myfilters' section of Default Actions (just delete this text). Filtering by size may be efficient, but it'll accidentally clobber anything that fits it's size match, which is annoying.

The homepage of Privoxy is at http://www.privoxy.org and the actual download comes from SourceForge, where they have targets for Win32 (all Windows versions), OS X (Mac) and several flavors of Unix, so it ought to work for anyone here. Here's the SourceForge download page: http://sourceforge.n...?group_id=11118
I've tried and tried, but the link to the ZIP file with the PDF version of it's documents keeps failing. It's the same thing as in the [Help] button, but in a single file. Don't worry, you don't need it.

You'll need the binary for your favorite OS, which includes the v1.8 'Actions File' so you don't need to get it separately. Once you've installed it, you'll need to make sure your browser is configured to use it. Buried somewhere in your browser settings is a PROXY SERVER configuration. You need to put 127.0.0.1 in for the address part of the HTTP proxy, with 8118 for the PORT part. Next, you'll want to launch Privoxy and disable the filter for banners-by-size using either of the two methods in my first comment above. I don't recommend using an ad-block proxy for secure webpages (HTTPS) or your bank and similar logins may have problems.

You can enable or disable Privoxy on-the-fly by just clicking on the tray icon to bring up it's screen, then clicking [Options] [Enable] to make the check mark ON or OFF. For Windows folks (at a minimum), you can also right-click on the tray icon and click the [Enable] line. If you suspect you're having problems with a webpage, try disabling it and refreshing the page. Hitting the [Close] button doesn't shut it down, but [Exit] will. Once you've configured the proxy server for your browser, you don't want to EXIT it, or you'll have to remove the proxy server from your browser! Use the Enable function, instead.

When it blocks an image, my browsers show a grey and white checkerboard. If you see any that don't look like they oughta be ads, then the configuration file probably needs a tweak.

Tested with IE 6, Opera 6.x and Firefox 1.5 on a Windows box. Mac users ought to be able to run it, but I can't check it here at home.

Late note: OOPS. Down at the end of the Default.actions file, in the section labelled "Misc special rules" you need to add the following lines, or the animated GIFs here won't work:
{-deanimate-gifs}
singledivers.com

I tried fixing it elsewhere in the file, and this is the only location and syntax that worked. Even removing all references to deanimate-gifs didn't work, contrary to the documentation.

#14 Desert_Diver

Desert_Diver

Everyone knows me

• Charter Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts

Posted 11 February 2006 - 05:00 PM

I've been using Privoxy for around a week now, surfing all over. Seems stable, and works OK here and elsewhere. The only gotcha is that I have it set to block animated GIFs by default, so the remotely linked images from here are broken unless I add the specific domain into the 'Misc Special Rules' as mentioned above. This is about the only place where I *want* to see the Smileys and other animated GIFs, so I don't have it set to show 'em everywhere. It's easy to change, if anyone needs it.

The ad blocking works very well, even better than the other ad/popup blocker I'd been using.

#15 Twinklez

Twinklez

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 11 February 2006 - 05:42 PM

I'll download it this weekend and give it a shot! Thanks!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users