• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Do you have kids?

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,574 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 24 January 2006 - 09:59 AM

This forum is for our single and buddyless divers who have kids. Whether they are young or old...kids present unique challenges for parents in general especially the diving parent. Do you bring them with you? Do you plan dive trips with them? How soon can you safely teach a child to dive? And a host of other issues that the 'childless' in our midst do not have to deal with. However, you also get to experience the joy of seeing the world thru the eyes of your child...how priceless is that?

So let us know what's it is like to be diving parent and don't forget to post pictures of your favorite 'dive buddy' or 'soon to be dive buddy' regardless of their age!

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#2 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 24 January 2006 - 10:10 AM

Both of mine are now grown. My son is now 25 and learned to dive at 13. My daughter is 19 and doesn't want to dive.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#3 Basslet

Basslet

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts
  • Cert Level:OW
  • Logged Dives:150

Posted 24 January 2006 - 10:19 AM

I have a 16 yo son who is nitrox and AOW. He would like to dive more, but the last few trips I've been on, NC and FG have been too advanced for him. I was going to take him to Coz during his spring break, but selfish mom is going to Thailand instead. :birthday:

#4 konascubagirl

konascubagirl

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 176 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 24 January 2006 - 10:24 AM

Hey WW! Awesome to have a forum for we single parents with kids!

My son is 14, got his cert at 12, and is an awesome buddy! Cooper is very safety-oriented, but the best part is....he's so much bigger than me he gets to carry the gear! :birthday:

My daughter is 22, and is not sure if she wants to dive or not. :birthday:

#5 Basslet

Basslet

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 10:36 AM

:birthday: What I like about diving with my son is that he is a better navigator than I am. What I don't like about diving with him is he won't get up early, or gives me a hard time about it.

Ooo. Forgot about a photo. This is when he was first certified in 2002
Posted Image

This was taken in 2004 after he got his Jr. AOW

Attached Images

• FairyBasslets_son_copy.jpg

#6 Mitch0129

Mitch0129

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts
  • Cert Level:OW, AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:290

Posted 24 January 2006 - 10:43 AM

I do not have kids of my own so I will add my thoughts as a childless diver.

On two trips I have been on, there have been kids, mostly teenagers. One of them was a 13-year-old girl diving with her mom, she handled herself a lot better than most adults I have been diving with. She was so fascinated by all the colorful fish she was seeing down there and was always pointing there and pointing here. Yet she was always checking her gauges to make sure she kept track of her air and her depth.

I will not say the name but one of our members who I have had recent off-board conversation with has two kids, a son 15 and a daughter 16, who are already certified. As this member told me, her kids are the best buddies she can ever have, she would rather dive with them than many adults. As pointed out elsewhere, her kids take the safety issues very seriously, something all of us, including me, can learn.

I know if I had kids of my own and they were of the age which they can get certified and go diving, I would encourage them if that is what they wanted. It is often good for us adults to see the world through the their eyes.
-Mitch-

#7 finley

finley

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW (plus EMT Training)
  • Logged Dives:45

Posted 24 January 2006 - 11:37 AM

I started this question a while back..but it died out...glad to see it back...I would love to take him with me...He was AWESOME on our last trip with so many mishaps going on...he really kept his head..he also has trouble on descent ( with ears) and always does his descent with patience etc... getting with other kids his age for diving would be great....cheap would be my key word...
who's leading this parade anyway?

#8 Latitude Adjustment

Latitude Adjustment

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts
  • Cert Level:EanX
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 24 January 2006 - 12:42 PM

I have a son now 27 would got certified at 12 and lives near FLL but doesn't dive much. My daughter is 25 and also living near FLL now but moving to Gainesville next month, she has more dives than him but both only seem to dive when dad is paying.
Here she is off AKR in May of 99

Posted Image
I, Latitude Adjustment (insert log in name), do hereby swear, (politely), that I shall not hold SingleDivers, (SD), nor any SD poster, (real or imagined), liable, nor shall I seek legal restitution, (real or imagined), for any perceived, (real or imagined), offenses I may incur, (or Incurrrrrrrrrr on talk like a pirate day), that may or may not be posted on this or any SCUBA related board, (real or imagined), by anyone, (real or imagined), anywhere, (real or imagined). Further, I void any right to privacy, (real or imagined), as it may, or may not relate to any posting, (real or imagined), about me, to me, for me, because of me, all about me, my dog, my cat, my bird, my monkey, my family, (real or imagined), my friends, (real or imagined), or my world, (real or imagined).

By all that is wet, I do hereby swear, (politely), and attest, upon pain of never diving again, (real or imagined), that I understand and affirm, that I agree to the above.

_________________________________________(log in name signature)
Signed and Dated

#9 finley

finley

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 24 January 2006 - 03:23 PM

AKR is awesome and I would love to get a group of parents and kids together to book a trip....We need to start booking now for 2007 as I have already found out they are booked for 2006....
Anyone up for march 2007...12-19th...that's our spring break....I bet it won't coincide with anyone else's

#10 WileEDiver

WileEDiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 523 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Instructor/EFR I-T/Safety Signer I-T/DAN DES Instructor (All DAN Programs)
  • Logged Dives:400+

Posted 24 January 2006 - 08:22 PM

Here's my favorite dive buddy, my daughter Julie (taken in Maui last month):
Julie_in_Maui.jpg

[Sorry, I don't know how to upload a regular sized image.]

Edited by WileEDiver, 24 January 2006 - 08:24 PM.

–WileEDiver

“Life is measured not by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.”

#11 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts
  • Cert Level:Course Director; CCR Instructor
  • Logged Dives:2000+

Posted 24 January 2006 - 09:58 PM

Here's my favorite dive buddy, my daughter Julie (taken in Maui last month):
Julie_in_Maui.jpg

[Sorry, I don't know how to upload a regular sized image.]

Would you be in the market to adopt a 46 year old son in time for your next trip? :mad:
"The most important thing is not to stop questioning." Albert Einstein

"For the diligent diver, closed circuit rebreathers are actually safer than open circuit scuba." Tom Mount

#12 TekDiveGirl

TekDiveGirl

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 242 posts
  • Cert Level:Technical Divemaster - trained through advanced wreck and Advanced Tri-mix
  • Logged Dives:A whole bunch - I don't know excactly as my logbook was destroyed... )-; It's a long story -- you really don't want to know...

Posted 25 January 2006 - 12:22 AM

My kids are nondivers at this point but they love to swim.

If we lived where we had warm - high vis water - I would be more inclined to start getting them diving. But here in So Cal with the conditions as they are - most kids aren't able to handle it effectively.
Kimber

Pink ~~~
It's the New Black!!!

#13 finley

finley

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts

Posted 25 January 2006 - 06:57 AM

My kids are nondivers at this point but they love to swim.

If we lived where we had warm - high vis water - I would be more inclined to start getting them diving. But here in So Cal with the conditions as they are - most kids aren't able to handle it effectively.

as I said in my other thread...My son recieved his certification in Alcapulco by attending class all day for 4 or 5 days...small group(he was the only student) and all skills were done in the ocean-not a pool- the price was great and every trip you take I am sure the company offers such..you can dive and they can learn.

#14 Basslet

Basslet

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts

Posted 25 January 2006 - 08:55 AM

AKR is awesome and I would love to get a group of parents and kids together to book a trip....We need to start booking now for 2007 as I have already found out they are booked for 2006....
Anyone up for march 2007...12-19th...that's our spring break....I bet it won't coincide with anyone else's

We've already been to Roatan. I don't foresee a return trip in the near future with so many other places yet to doive. I would be interested in Coz or Bonaire.

#15 ScubaGypsy

ScubaGypsy

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts
  • Cert Level:DM
  • Logged Dives:1500+

Posted 25 January 2006 - 04:38 PM

Hmmm, I posted an intro about diving with my boys last night (Forum: Single or Buddyless PARENTS with KIDS, Looking to plan a trip with my teenaged son, Post Preview: #125491) but perhaps it should have been in this topic?

Well I've included a couple of recent pics here. The first one is in Vortex Spring in August 2005 (where my youngest is swamped by his brothers bubbles!), the second one is in the divers bell at Devils Den from December 2005 where my oldest took a picture of his younger brothers and me, and the third is on a charter boat out of Panama City in August 2005 after diving the Black Bart.

Boys2004.jpg BGbell123005.jpg IMAG0026_3.JPG ent]
The sea is everything........Its breath is pure and healthy. It is an immense desert, where man is never lonely, for he feels life stirring on all sides. The sea is only the embodiment of a supernatural and wonderful existence. It is nothing but love and emotion; it is the 'Living Infinite,' ..........

Capt. Nemo...........20,000 Leagues under the Sea

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users