• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Australia Day

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#16 blacklatexozdiver

blacklatexozdiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts
  • Board Status:-
  • Cert Level:OW, Drysuit, Underwater Naturalist
  • Logged Dives:16 (pretty hard to dive where there's no water...)

Posted 26 January 2009 - 06:30 AM

Didn't realize there were restrictions on folks over 45...
Looks like I will have to rethink my life plan.

Happy Australia Day..

There is such thing as a prospective marriage visa. :P
"Gravitation cannot be held responsible for people falling in love." Albert Einstein

SD's Aussie Connection.

#17 Capn Jack

Capn Jack

I spend too much time on line

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts
  • Board Status:Working to fund the next trip
  • Cert Level:YMCA in 65, dove till 79, returned in 2002... now will work for air and/or beer as a DM
  • Logged Dives:not enough

Posted 26 January 2009 - 08:22 AM

Tipping my VB to y'all.

Agree on the number one country, and I've visited 41 different countries, admittedly some were not exactly thrilled that I was there, but mostly as a tourist.

It struck me when I was there, that Australia represents what Texas could have been without the sanctimony.

My personal theory is it goes back to our joint heritage from the Mother Island. Sadly, if you meet someone here whose ancestors were part of the original US settlers, the stereotype will be a tight-a**ed, puritanical, judgemental elitist who carries on the British class system even though we lack the cool titles of duke, countess and lord. The morality premise is if it feels good, it is on the direct path to h***. Moreover, if you don't believe as they do, you are just not part of the true believers who formed this land.

On the south side of the world, your bragging rights in society are linked to how directly you can trace your lineage to a convict. The lower the number, the better. Today, happily, a spot of aboriginal swinging through your family tree is a definite plus. My brief look at Australian views of human nature seems to be one of "live and let live" and if it feels good, it must be human nature, so let's do it. Since we're doing it, let's also make it part of the establishment, regulate and tax it. Only in some counties in Nevada do we have the same fun stuff legally available as the Aussies do in every town.

So, yeah, I'm an American, damn proud of it, served etc., but Oz gets my vote as well for "best country" - hell, no matter how many votes you cast for the USA, they trump us on divings - so enough said.

If anyone is curious - I rank Pakistan as number last, with several contenders for the honor.

Mods - if I'm crossing the political line - feel free to delete.
No aquarium, no tank in a marine land, however spacious it may be, can begin to duplicate the conditions of the sea. And no dolphin who inhabits one of those aquariums or one of those marine lands can be considered normal.
Jacques Yves Cousteau

#18 Victoria

Victoria

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 827 posts
  • Board Status:Checking in when I can...
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:28...sad, I know....

Posted 26 January 2009 - 08:40 AM

Wes! Happy Australia Day!! Good one, Skippy!!

CapnJack, I dunno about the mods, but I'm right there with ya on the sentiment expressed.

Click here to email questions to the Angels & Charlies. Find out about Operation Care & Share here.

"Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it." -- Johann Wolfgang Von Goethe

"The right thing to do never requires any subterfuge, it is always simple and direct." -- Calvin Coolidge

#19 blacklatexozdiver

blacklatexozdiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 08:44 AM

Capn Jack... come back any time! Thanks for the big rap.

We do have our bad moments (like the drunken idiots who rampaged through Sydney this arvo :P) but most of us would agree that we're very lucky to be living in a land where we are not subject to random bombings, being shot at or trying to scrape together a meal consisting of cholera infected water and poisonous plant roots.

Maybe today should be a day, like there is in the US and Canada, where we celebrate and be thankful for what we have and that we can do so in peace.

May all of you have a wonderful day.
"Gravitation cannot be held responsible for people falling in love." Albert Einstein

SD's Aussie Connection.

#20 Capn Jack

Capn Jack

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts
  • Board Status:Working to fund the next trip
  • Cert Level:YMCA in 65, dove till 79, returned in 2002... now will work for air and/or beer as a DM
  • Logged Dives:not enough

Posted 26 January 2009 - 09:02 AM

Capn Jack... come back any time! Thanks for the big rap.

No question I will return as often as my ancient butt can tolerate the 1000 hour plane ride. Sadly, the over 45 rule hits me too, so unless you can modify that bit of troublesome policy, it will only be as a temporary, but very happy visitor.

Good on ya, you seem like a good bloke. Next trip will be the western spots I hope.
No aquarium, no tank in a marine land, however spacious it may be, can begin to duplicate the conditions of the sea. And no dolphin who inhabits one of those aquariums or one of those marine lands can be considered normal.
Jacques Yves Cousteau

#21 blacklatexozdiver

blacklatexozdiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 742 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 10:02 PM

I hope so too.

SD's Aussie Connection.

#22 Cold_H2O

Cold_H2O

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,498 posts
  • Logged Dives:lost count but back to keeping a log.

Posted 27 January 2009 - 06:53 AM

Didn't realize there were restrictions on folks over 45...
Looks like I will have to rethink my life plan.

Happy Australia Day..

There is such thing as a prospective marriage visa. :thankyou:

Good to know... I have a little more time before I hit the 45 age limit...
I will see what I can do without the p0rospective marriage visa.
Well Behave Women Rarely Make History ~ Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

Formerly known as gis_gal and name tattoo'd for a small bribe!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users