• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Dive the Turn Blue Hole

• Please log in to reply
57 replies to this topic

#16 DandyDon

DandyDon

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox / Scientific / Rescue / TDI Decompression
  • Logged Dives:351 dives, mostly ocean

Posted 22 March 2004 - 06:52 PM

Ok so all you experts...wanna give us some names and contact info or some super duper website that has all the details? Hey...find out more about the $15 rate...why pay 4 times that amount if you don't have too? I'm guessing the $15 rate is for a student special but certainly worth finding out. Maybe it is a bunkhouse arangement? All is fine just need to know what you can get and how you get it.

Thanks for all the help in putting this together. So about all the fun people coming from your diveshop or is a club in CO.....any of them single? LOL!!!

Here's what I found on a Google search: http://www.santarosanm.org/ You'll find links on the Diving, Motels, Cafes, etc. Doesn't mention Perch Lake, which is a couple miles south of the Blue Hole. Good size lake, 50 feet deep I guess, got a small plane to dive on, and plenty of perch.

I called Joseph's: $50 to book the back room. If y'all want, I could book it, and we can split the cost on arrival, like 25 people = $2 each. They could do a buffet dinner for $4 each and up, but I doubt we can get that organized; I don't want to complicate things here. Let's give them an idea of how many are coming so they can put on extra waitstaff and just order from the menu.

Copper, talk with your Shop and let me know? I'm sure we can allow married people with spouses on this one, eh?

don
What would Patton do...? Posted Image

Yeah I know: I've been branded a non-group person - doesn't play well with others. I am so upset. Posted Image Let me know if you want to have some fun, without the drama - I'm good for that.

#17 coppermaus

coppermaus

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, working on DM

Posted 22 March 2004 - 08:29 PM

I called Joseph's: $50 to book the back room.  If y'all want, I could book it, and we can split the cost on arrival, like 25 people = $2 each. 

It certainly adds some serious local color to have the place open to the general public. One local chica kept coming up to me all night last time and saying, "Girl! Are you white? You dance really good for a white girl." And the older ladies kept making off with the young hunks of our group and dragging them into their dance circles. And other even funnier spectacles that I'll tell you about when you're older... As for the $2, I can't speak for what any of the students would agree to. We'd have to figure it out when we got there as far as they all go. We could just go for it and split it however many ways we get participants. I'd be willing to do that. Then open it up to locals if we want...?

They could do a buffet dinner for $4 each and up, but I doubt we can get that organized; I don't want to complicate things here. Let's give them an idea of how many are coming so they can put on extra waitstaff and just order from the menu.

We always eat off the menu there, and they know to expect a large group on Saturday night. Service is lightening fast. When I know how many of this group are coming, I'll just add that to the reservation.

Copper, talk with your Shop and let me know?  I'm sure we can allow married people with spouses on this one, eh?

Well, unfortunately I can't talk to anyone at my shop right now, cuz they're all in COZUMEL right now, without me. :) Of course I went in Feb without them, so I guess it's fair. As far as singles and so on, the students are mostly in the 18-23 age range, since they're all college students, mostly singles, generally more guys than girls, and lots of fun to party with. DMs/instructors are 30-50's and about half singles/half taken.

The Budget 10 is our home base. $15 per person per night, double occ. It's really a dive, so I'm not recommending it to this group, unless you're as cheap and no-maintenance as they come. However, if it's still desirable, I can talk to the man when he returns from bluer waters and see whether the deal is open to the singles group.

:D
coppermaus

#18 Blublood

Blublood

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue / EFR
  • Logged Dives:200 +

Posted 22 March 2004 - 09:28 PM

well flks now your talking about my neck of the woods! The $15 to dive is a City charge. Not much in the hole but I've been in there on morning dives when the vis is so perfect you can see the bottom (85 ft) perfect.

It's only about a two hour drive for me so maybe I could sneak away saturday morning come spend the night and whoop it up with you all a bit!

Gar
“There is no more unhappy thing than a man who has accomplished all his ends in life.â€

#19 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 23 March 2004 - 08:01 AM

Hey Gar...that would be too cool as well! I'm not sure I can make this trip but I'm looking at it. Trying to get all the details and then see who else from big 'D' wants to go. If we have enough we might get some cool stuff from Narwhal for this trip as well!!!

Hey Don...want to spearhead who alls going and all that good stuff. I know Coppermaus has a group of students coming so it could be a great party! That is if the youngins don't mind a few 'mature' types like ourselves! LOL!!!

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#20 coppermaus

coppermaus

• PipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 23 March 2004 - 11:32 AM

Yeeha! Gar and WW both might come! That'd be great, y'all! The younguns don't mind the older crowd as long as they can keep up with us. Last time I think the creakier knees did more dancing, and a couple instructors definitely managed the biggest bar tabs.

This is gonna be fun!
:welcome:
coppermaus

#21 zendiver

zendiver

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,082 posts
  • Cert Level:AI
  • Logged Dives:1011

Posted 23 March 2004 - 12:15 PM

WAIT! Did someone mention diving....in NM....when? I too could possibly make that trip. That is one place that I haven't dove yet and I am up for it. :welcome:

-Zendiver
[color=blue]Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body;
But rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming--"WOW--What a ride!"

#22 DandyDon

DandyDon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts

Posted 23 March 2004 - 12:59 PM

Now, we are talking abut the last weekend in April, right? That's April 23-25. Some people would look at the last Friday - April 30th, but you are not talking about that, are you? Well, give us the dates precisely, so we can plan to be there when you will be. Okay?

It certainly adds some serious local color to have the place open to the general public.

Yeah, but if I don't book it, someone else might, then we can't get in. If I do book it, we can call it open to the public. Guaranteed is always safer. But I need to confirm the date...??

We always eat off the menu there, and they know to expect a large group on Saturday night.  Service is lightening fast.  When I know how many of this group are coming, I'll just add that to the reservation.

don

Good deal. I'll book it under my name, and you can add to that.

The Budget 10 is our home base.  $15 per person per night, double occ.  It's really a dive, so I'm not recommending it to this group, unless you're as cheap and no-maintenance as they come.  However, if it's still desirable, I can talk to the man when he returns from bluer waters and see whether the deal is open to the singles group.  .

Yeah, I thought $15 a room sounded like a parking space, not a room. It's $30 a room, double occ, tax included, eh? Still cheap - too cheap for me.

Jer's staying at the Comfort Inn this weekend, not the Super Duper 8. I'll ask him to look at nice looking hotels next to Budget 10.

Edited by DandyDon, 23 March 2004 - 01:07 PM.

Yeah I know: I've been branded a non-group person - doesn't play well with others. I am so upset. Posted Image Let me know if you want to have some fun, without the drama - I'm good for that.

#23 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,591 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 23 March 2004 - 01:00 PM

They are looking at the last weekend in April which is also one of the weekend options they are considering for the Athens weekend. I'm hoping they do the April option in NM and the May option in Athens BUT...I might have to work the May weekend so as usual....I'm soooooooooooooo confused!! But we have options folks...we have lots of options!!! ww

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#24 coppermaus

coppermaus

• PipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 23 March 2004 - 01:39 PM

Yeah, but if I don't book it, someone else might, then we can't get in.  If I do book it, we can call it open to the public.  Guaranteed is always safer.  But I need to confirm the date...??

Agreed, safer is better. Saturday, April 24, 2004, Joseph's bar.

Good deal.  I'll book it under my name, and you can add to that.

Don't bother, we've already got that covered. As I said, I'll just need to add our numbers to the group size.

Jer's staying at the Comfort Inn this weekend, not the Super Duper 8.  I'll ask him to look at nice looking hotels next to Budget 10.

Great idea!
coppermaus

#25 DandyDon

DandyDon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts

Posted 23 March 2004 - 08:08 PM

Okay, I got the bar booked for 7pm, Saturday, April 24th. Yesterday they wanted $50, and another $150 for a DJ, but today - I spoke with Debra, the bar manager, and no money needed. :dazzler: Told her we'd leave the party open to anyone.... :D

Gar, I'll talk with you this weekend, but I hope you can make it. Bring your mom.

ZenDiver, if you've never dived a New Mexican sinkhole, this is a great time to try it. :(

For you lowlanders in general, we have a date, so I hope you'll pick any other weekend and come in You'll need a 5 to 7 mil full suit, neoprene gloves, booties and beanie or hood. If you need to rent suits, I can arrange that at an Amarillo LDS.

To get there, get to Amarillo however, then I-40 west beyond Tucumcari. If you get to Albuquerque, you went too far; turn around. :whistle:

There's supposed to be a fee to dive, I hear, but I've never payed it. It's probably up to Stella, and I get my tanks from her - $5, including tank & weights - so maybe that's why she doesn't charge. I take her little gifts, too. I am sure she likes chocolate. :fish2:

This is a 4,600 foot elevation dive, so even if you fly in with a cabin pressure equivalent of 8,000 feet, you'll land in Amarillo at a little over 3,000. Keeping everything conservative, rounding up at every possibility, we'll assume a 2,000 foot increase by the time you get to town, arriving in Pressure Group D. (You can't talk like this on Match.com; well, you can, but no one would answer.)

If you don't get wet for 1-1/2 hours, you'll still be Group A. The 84 foot dive adjusts to 110 feet at this elevation so you'll have 3 minutes Residual Nitrogen the rest of the day. Or, if you come in early, 4-1/2 hours will clear you completely, but still figure on 110 foot dive plans if you visit the grave at the bottom. :clapping:

It's also cold enough that circulation will be reduced, so exaggerate your safety stops. I like 1 minute at 40 feet, 1 minutes at 20 feet, and 3 minutes at 12-15, with 12 foot suggested for this elevation by PADI. PH 1-800-Pay-PADI.

In case of unexpected problems, there should be plenty of dive professionals around the hole, and the hospital is only 1/2 mile away. But the biggest risk is the hiway, so wear your seat belts at all times. :sleepy:

I need to give her a body count expected by the April 10th. This is not a Kamala type deadline, though; you can let me know sooner.

PM me, or call me at 806-292-0009.

Dandy Don Henderson, aka Gen Patton

Edited by DandyDon, 23 March 2004 - 08:11 PM.

#26 Blublood

Blublood

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 721 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue / EFR
  • Logged Dives:200 +

Posted 24 March 2004 - 10:18 PM

wow....would be great to see a bunch of people at the blue hole santa rosa, sounds like coppermaus has been ther a bunch. haven't done Perch so that would be a gas. Also, The hole is really fun to dive at night. You can go chase the crawdads or crawmoms around! I'm heading for Cozumel he first of May so that weekend will probably be JUST SLENDID! Don, Thanks for mentioning my Mom as she will be visiting tht weekend. My Father passed away in January so she is going through some major changes but she is a lot of fun and would probably love to go out for some high desert high times!
“There is no more unhappy thing than a man who has accomplished all his ends in life.â€

#27 coppermaus

coppermaus

• PipPipPipPip
  • 416 posts

Posted 25 March 2004 - 02:53 PM

Okay, I got the bar booked for 7pm, Saturday, April 24th.  Yesterday they wanted $50, and another $150 for a DJ, but today - I spoke with Debra, the bar manager, and no money needed.  Told her we'd leave the party open to anyone....

Way to go, Don! You ROCK!

:P
coppermaus

#28 wrinkles

wrinkles

• PipPipPipPip
  • 226 posts
  • Cert Level:OW

Posted 25 March 2004 - 05:52 PM

Looks like it would be about a 13 hour drive for me :rolleyes:

Ana

#29 Dejah

Dejah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,218 posts
  • Cert Level:OW
  • Logged Dives:14

Posted 25 March 2004 - 09:33 PM

5 to 7 mil on this dive..... brrrrrr, way to cold for this girl, then again I'm probably not ready for that place yet either... I'll catch you guys on the next trip down there. Hey are any of you going to try and make Athens in May?

Dejah

#30 DandyDon

DandyDon

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,340 posts

Posted 31 March 2004 - 06:48 PM

5 to 7 mil on this dive..... brrrrrr, way to cold for this girl, then again I'm probably not ready for that place yet either... I'll catch you guys on the next trip down there.  Hey are any of you going to try and make Athens in May?

Dejah

Yeah, it's always something. The water is always 62 degrees in The Hole, and always clear in the upper parts, even if the students have turned up the lower areas. Is your hole always that warm? Some dive, some talk - this is for divers. :ph34r:

Yeah, I'd drive down for Athens in May if it was earlier, but you're going the weekend just before Memorial Day, which is the weekend I'll be in Calf. Can't do both, so I'll stick with Calf!

Looks like it would be about a 13 hour drive for me 

Ana

I'll be in Long Beach for Memorial Day weekend - on the boat Sat, Sun, Mon. You got plans?

If you can't dive that weekend, I'm good for supper Friday or Monday evenings.

Otherwise, if you wanta' dive in April - we are on. Be there, if you want to dive bad enough to be there. Once there, it'll be fun there! :D

don :twist: aka: "Patton"

Edited by DandyDon, 31 March 2004 - 06:51 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users