• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Tips on Getting a Passport!

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts
  • Board Status:thinkin' about diving
  • Cert Level:DM; TDI Adv Nitrox and Deco Procedures
  • Logged Dives:1200 ish

Posted 28 January 2006 - 06:41 PM

If you need a passport, it will usually take at least 6 weeks for processing and transit. I’d recommend using expedited mail, such as FedEx overnight, both to the Passport office and back to your address, if you need the passport expedited

Here is some additional info:

US Passport info

This link will give you all the fees and time lines you'll need to consider. They won't guarantee you'll get it in time, either. So, start before you think you need one!

#2 6Gill

6Gill

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 29 January 2006 - 01:15 AM

If you need a passport, it will usually take at least 6 weeks for processing and transit. I’d recommend using expedited mail, such as FedEx overnight, both to the Passport office and back to your address, if you need the passport expedited

US Passport info

This link will give you all the fees and time lines you'll need to consider. They won't guarantee you'll get it in time, either. So, start before you think you need one!

Somehow I think if I applyed for one it would take a lot longer than 6weeks :-D not to mention most counties have a limit on the number of different passports you're allowed :teeth:

Eric

#3 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts

Posted 29 January 2006 - 08:15 AM

US Passport info

Somehow I think if I applyed for one it would take a lot longer than 6weeks :-D not to mention most counties have a limit on the number of different passports you're allowed :teeth:

Eric

For you, yes, I think it would take somewhere around 6 years or so, lots of red tape, and you'd have to give up being a Canadian; some countries allow dual citizenship, the US is not one of those

#4 Latitude Adjustment

Latitude Adjustment

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts
  • Cert Level:EanX
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 29 January 2006 - 08:39 AM

If you are in a hurry try this, Passports and visa's in a week
I, Latitude Adjustment (insert log in name), do hereby swear, (politely), that I shall not hold SingleDivers, (SD), nor any SD poster, (real or imagined), liable, nor shall I seek legal restitution, (real or imagined), for any perceived, (real or imagined), offenses I may incur, (or Incurrrrrrrrrr on talk like a pirate day), that may or may not be posted on this or any SCUBA related board, (real or imagined), by anyone, (real or imagined), anywhere, (real or imagined). Further, I void any right to privacy, (real or imagined), as it may, or may not relate to any posting, (real or imagined), about me, to me, for me, because of me, all about me, my dog, my cat, my bird, my monkey, my family, (real or imagined), my friends, (real or imagined), or my world, (real or imagined).

By all that is wet, I do hereby swear, (politely), and attest, upon pain of never diving again, (real or imagined), that I understand and affirm, that I agree to the above.

_________________________________________(log in name signature)
Signed and Dated

#5 6Gill

6Gill

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 29 January 2006 - 09:03 AM

For you, yes, I think it would take somewhere around 6 years or so, lots of red tape, and you'd have to give up being a Canadian; some countries allow dual citizenship, the US is not one of those

I guess I shouldn't tell 'em about the other passports :teeth:

Eric

#6 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts

Posted 29 January 2006 - 09:13 AM

I guess I shouldn't tell 'em about the other passports :birthday:

Eric

hmmm, that may not be in your best interest!

#7 CaptSaaz

CaptSaaz

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,194 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:88

Posted 29 January 2006 - 03:51 PM

I would also add that if you all ready have a passport, check your expiration date. To renew your passport is quick and simple unlike applying for new. Just send in the old with new photo's, one form and a check.
We all must believe in something... I believe I'll have another beer

#8 cmt489

cmt489

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,346 posts
  • Logged Dives:75+

Posted 30 January 2006 - 02:32 PM

Actually, the US does allow dual citizenship for Canadians. The reason I know this is that my grandmother is dual, having both her Canadian and US passport.

#9 domino22

domino22

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • Cert Level:Dive Master
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 30 January 2006 - 06:52 PM

Buy the ticket fly to Houston and you can get it right away. Bring passport photos with you. And a few pesos!

#10 chinacat46

chinacat46

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,147 posts
  • Cert Level:OWSI
  • Logged Dives:1527(8 in fresh water)

Posted 31 January 2006 - 08:49 PM

Actually, the US does allow dual citizenship for Canadians. The reason I know this is that my grandmother is dual, having both her Canadian and US passport.

I have friends who hold dual citizenship with the US and NZ as well. Originally US and moved to and became NZ citizens.

Edited by chinacat46, 31 January 2006 - 08:49 PM.

#11 ScubaGypsy

ScubaGypsy

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts
  • Cert Level:DM
  • Logged Dives:1500+

Posted 31 January 2006 - 10:05 PM

Are passports required for US citizens to go into Canada now?
The sea is everything........Its breath is pure and healthy. It is an immense desert, where man is never lonely, for he feels life stirring on all sides. The sea is only the embodiment of a supernatural and wonderful existence. It is nothing but love and emotion; it is the 'Living Infinite,' ..........

Capt. Nemo...........20,000 Leagues under the Sea

#12 Guest_PlatypusMan_*

Guest_PlatypusMan_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 February 2006 - 01:59 AM

As I understand the new regulations implemented by the US and other nations, yes; when leaving the confines of the the US border, you need a passport...especially for the return portion of the journey.

You can read about it AT THIS LINK HERE.

As to the dual citizenship angle, the State Department has apparently softened the hard-line position it once held nixing the idea for those wishing to keep their US citizenship and still hold an additional passport.

Technically, I should be able to obtain a passport from the nation I was born in, if Germany will issue it to me upon my request and I can establish a reasonable explanation for needing one (Mother was still a German citizen at the time). Rumour has it that Arnold Schwarzeneggar held both US and Austrian passports for years--and may in fact still do so despite holding office here.

At one time (this may still be going on), the State Department also issued extra passports to high-profile businessmen who travelled around the Middle East, so that they could produce documents that had no Isreali stamps when entering Arab nations and vice-versa (documented in an interesting book titled 'Selling Money' written by a banker from the era).

The most valid reason to me to carry an extra passport would be to be able to claim a different nationality in a tight spot--when terrorists take hostages, they generally try to get the passports of the folks they're holding specifically to target certain groups--like Americans.

Platypusman
...German? Who's German?? I happen to be Swiss....

Edited by PlatypusMan, 01 February 2006 - 02:10 AM.

#13 cmt489

cmt489

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,346 posts
  • Logged Dives:75+

Posted 01 February 2006 - 09:44 AM

As I understand the new regulations implemented by the US and other nations, yes; when leaving the confines of the the US border, you need a passport...especially for the return portion of the journey.

You can read about it AT THIS LINK HERE.

You don't need a passport until 2008 but it does make travel much easier to have one. Recent announcements have been, however, that the US is reconsidering making passports mandatory for travels to and from Canada and Mexico, and, instead, are thinking of issuing some sort of identity card that will suffice for travel around North America instead. Time will tell

#14 ScubaGypsy

ScubaGypsy

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts
  • Cert Level:DM
  • Logged Dives:1500+

Posted 01 February 2006 - 04:10 PM

You don't need a passport until 2008 but it does make travel much easier to have one. Recent announcements have been, however, that the US is reconsidering making passports mandatory for travels to and from Canada and Mexico, and, instead, are thinking of issuing some sort of identity card that will suffice for travel around North America instead. Time will tell

Sigh, I guess that I'm going to have to get passports for each of my kids if I want to take them diving in Ontario. When I went up to Niagara Falls in the summer of 2004 with just my youngest, we got pulled into a room while the inspectors tore apart my motorhome. Apparently a single father with his son is cause for alarm even when he has joint custody, a birth certificate and social security card for his son. After more than a 2 hour delay, we finally were allowed in.

Edited by ScubaGypsy, 08 February 2006 - 08:57 PM.

The sea is everything........Its breath is pure and healthy. It is an immense desert, where man is never lonely, for he feels life stirring on all sides. The sea is only the embodiment of a supernatural and wonderful existence. It is nothing but love and emotion; it is the 'Living Infinite,' ..........

Capt. Nemo...........20,000 Leagues under the Sea

#15 finley

finley

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW (plus EMT Training)
  • Logged Dives:45

Posted 19 February 2006 - 12:33 PM

Sigh, I guess that I'm going to have to get passports for each of my kids if I want to take them diving in Ontario. When I went up to Niagara Falls in the summer of 2004 with just my youngest, we got pulled into a room while the inspectors tore apart my motorhome. Apparently a single father with his son is cause for alarm even when he has joint custody, a birth certificate and social security card for his son. After more than a 2 hour delay, we finally were allowed in.

a notorized letter from the "other" parent giving you permission to take them out of the country ( and the dates) in any situation where you are leaving the country is REQUIRED...yep..my first trip to Mexico with my youngest son...we missed our flight..had to take one the next day...thank goodness dad lived within driving distance...I guess a fax would have worked.
who's leading this parade anyway?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users