• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Is there such a thing as a "New Age" man?

• Please log in to reply
172 replies to this topic

#1 Taniwha

Taniwha

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Cert Level:Advance Open Water
  • Logged Dives:56

Posted 29 January 2006 - 09:41 PM

Why is it that men get so much negative attention? Or maybe the question should be: Why do negative men and "jerks" get so much attention? Why is it so hard for nice, straight-up guys to be noticed?

I think I'm a nice guy: respectful, polite, and I'm still active and have fun. You'd think at my age, I'd have it figured out, but then you'd think that women would have it figured out, too. :lmao:

I dunno...any comments?

Cheers,
Doug
When your heart is full, try using your head.

#2 Twinklez

Twinklez

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 29 January 2006 - 09:58 PM

Damn...where's that thread? Last summer we had a whole thread on this very same question.

In a nutshell I think the general consensus ended up being that "bad boys" projected an image of confidence, though most often that confidence was simply a false front for insecurity that "new age" women were beginning to see through. The "good guys" were gaining ground and getting noticed!

Will look for the thread, but being that we've got a lot of new members, it would be really great to hear some fresh opinions on this one! :-)

#3 Twinklez

Twinklez

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 12:03 AM

Damn...where's that thread? Last summer we had a whole thread on this very same question.

In a nutshell I think the general consensus ended up being that "bad boys" projected an image of confidence, though most often that confidence was simply a false front for insecurity that "new age" women were beginning to see through. The "good guys" were gaining ground and getting noticed!

Will look for the thread, but being that we've got a lot of new members, it would be really great to hear some fresh opinions on this one! :-)

I have searched and searched and I'm just not able to find that thread. Unfortunately the search engine won't allow me to search for words with less than 4 letters ruling out the "bad boy" phrase which was used throughout. If anyone out there remembers which thread it was, it would be great to provide a link back to it.

#4 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,490 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 30 January 2006 - 12:11 AM

I think that nice men often don't realize that women have to earn the right for them to be that nice to them. And of course that works in reverse. I am a very nice woman...but in order for me to show you that...you have to earn the right for me to be that good to you. I sometimes think that men will be nice to a woman that they have 'chosen' and when she doesn't respond...they will try even harder to show her what a great catch he is when he should say

...too bad...so sad...snooze you loose...and move onto a more deserving person.

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#5 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 30 January 2006 - 12:27 AM

I'd like to think I'm nice to all women (and men too) whether I'm interested in them (the women) in "that way" or not. I try to be nice to everyone... even if it kills me!

#6 Twinklez

Twinklez

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 12:29 AM

I sometimes think that men will be nice to a woman that they have 'chosen' and when she doesn't respond...they will try even harder to show her what a great catch he is when he should say

...too bad...so sad...snooze you loose...and move onto a more deserving person.

And women often do the same...

So why is it that women tend to chase after men that give them the brush off, the same way that men chase after the women doing the same thing? Is it that we want what we think we can't have? A challenge? Or is it something that "Mr. Wrong" is doing that makes us think he's "Mr. Right"?

Edited by Twinklez, 30 January 2006 - 12:30 AM.

#7 6Gill

6Gill

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 30 January 2006 - 12:39 AM

Doug,
Your only finished if you give up and in that case you could possibly finish first.Bottom line is you are who you are and if your not true to yourself your not going to be happy.

Eric

#8 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,490 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 30 January 2006 - 12:40 AM

I do think there is a bit of wanting what we can't have in all of us...it is human nature. Bankers like to loan money to people who don't need it...we like to chase people who don't seem to give us the right time of day...

is that because we figure we can get bachelor E for easy so will put him aside to go after bachelor D for difficult knowing we can fall back on bachelor E if we fail with D???

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

#9 Twinklez

Twinklez

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 12:42 AM

Doug,
Your only finished if you give up and in that case you could possibly finish first.Bottom line is you are who you are and if your not true to yourself your not going to be happy.

Eric

And even if somebody does loose their heart to you while you're pretending to be someone you're not, eventually the real Doug will come out and the house of cards falls down around you. While we all agreed that the "bad boy" persona was interesting, the interest was short-lived. Yet the man who is true to himself and to his convictions is certainly more intersting, desireable and sexy...all rolled in one.

#10 gcbryan

gcbryan

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 777 posts
  • Logged Dives:620

Posted 30 January 2006 - 01:27 AM

I would have to agree with Kamala on this one. Be yourself, be nice, and if the woman doesn't appreciate it, or takes it for granted, move on. The right one will appreciate it and won't be playing games.

Remember it's not easy for anyone. There's only so many people out there that we are really interested in. When you find one and they're not interested it's tough but that's life.

#11 Walter

Walter

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,549 posts
  • Logged Dives:4 digits

Posted 30 January 2006 - 01:44 AM

First, stop thinking about how things should be, deal with how things are.

Next, be yourself, but be yourself the way you are when you aren't trying to impress a woman. When you get sickly sweet around a woman you like, you are not being yourself, you're putting on a front to please her. There are two things wrong with this. It's dishonest and it's a turn off to women. It comes across as dishonest and it shows a woman you're a wimp. Women are not attracted to wimps. Did you ever notice the women who are attracted to you are women in which you have no romantic interest? That's because you treat them differently. That's how you should treat all women.

Be confident and be funny. Joke with women you like just like you joke with the guys (OK, tone down the crude language), make them the butt of your jokes (never in a mean or hurtful way). Relax, enjoy yourself, tease, be playful and don't try to win a woman. Most women aren't a good match for any particular man. There are a small % who truly suit you. Even if you're attracted to her, chances are you won't make a good match. Be confident, be funny and you'll make lots of female friends. With some of them there will be a mutual attraction. When it happens, you'll know it, until then you shouldn't care if a woman is attracted to you or not. Women are attracted to confident men. Women are attracted to funny men. Enjoy yourself and women will be attracted to you. While you're at it, be nice.
No single raindrop believes it is responsible for the flood.

DSSW,

WWW™

#12 ScubaHawk

ScubaHawk

Midwest HH Planner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,265 posts
  • Cert Level:Dive Master
  • Logged Dives:1000+

Posted 30 January 2006 - 03:14 AM

I have to agree with Walter (for the second time in as many days - a new record) Be yourself - If you put on a fake front to impress women you like, you will look fake. Women (and Men) go for honesty, be yourself - good, bad or other. Remember if all else fails you have to sleep with yourself and it's easier to sleep with a honest person.

P.S. Walter - we need to find something to argue about, I miss the repartee
Take an SD trip - See old friends you have never met before!
Every existing thing is born without reason, prolongs itself out of weakness, and dies by chance. - Jean-Paul Sartre
I feel the urge, the urge to submerge! -ScubaHawk - Raptor of the Deep !
WHO DAT!!!!

#13 annasea

annasea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 03:23 AM

Mary Magdalene's relationship to Jesus? Abraham Lincoln? Body piercings?

(Just some random suggestions. :cool2:)

#14 ScubaHawk

ScubaHawk

Midwest HH Planner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,265 posts
  • Cert Level:Dive Master
  • Logged Dives:1000+

Posted 30 January 2006 - 03:27 AM

Mary Magdalene's relationship to Jesus? Abraham Lincoln? Body piercings?

(Just some random suggestions. :lmao:)

ROFLMAO - I think you know us too well.
Take an SD trip - See old friends you have never met before!
Every existing thing is born without reason, prolongs itself out of weakness, and dies by chance. - Jean-Paul Sartre
I feel the urge, the urge to submerge! -ScubaHawk - Raptor of the Deep !
WHO DAT!!!!

#15 finley

finley

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW (plus EMT Training)
  • Logged Dives:45

Posted 30 January 2006 - 06:04 AM

HMMM...a really nice guy can't figure out why he hasn't found the woman he is looking for? maybe he should examine his criteria???
who's leading this parade anyway?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users