• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Is there such a thing as a "New Age" man?

• Please log in to reply
172 replies to this topic

#31 Hipshot

Hipshot

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,391 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver/Asst. Instructor
  • Logged Dives:>500

Posted 30 January 2006 - 06:12 PM

Hmmmm....interesting. I just had a woman whom I'd been seeing for six months (she was a student in the class that I'd assisted) break up with me to go back to her estranged husband. Everybody that knows him thinks he's a monster. On the other hand, her best friend, upon seeing how nice I was to her, is playing up to me. Go figure.

Rick
:fish2:

Just when you think you've got the answer, someone comes along and changes the question.

#32 Taniwha

Taniwha

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Cert Level:Advance Open Water
  • Logged Dives:56

Posted 30 January 2006 - 06:18 PM

HMMM...a really nice guy can't figure out why he hasn't found the woman he is looking for? maybe he should examine his criteria???

You mean "perfection"? :diver: No, the thing is that I think really nice guys just don't get noticed. While I am watching all the "bad boys" performing their routines for women, the pickup lines, the money flashing, the loud talk, etc., I am in the background, not wanting to join what I see as so much bulls***. Because there is so much noise up front, I don't get noticed.

I'm speaking "real-life" as well as metaphorically. In society, so much talk about men centers around the "bad boys". I'm a school teacher, and I have to notice that sometimes I spend so much time on my discipline kids that the good students get a little left out, whereas they are the ones who really want to learn. I think it's the same scenario with "nice guys".

Don't get me wrong...I'm not "prissy" by any means...I like my fun. I'll drink beer and enjoy a barbeque and football game. I play on sports leagues, ride a motorcycle, do active things (like dive), and, by the way, I also like to cook and (don't make me have to come over there) I like shopping. But I won't be a jerk to women. I try not to be a jerk to anybody, like DrBill says, male or female.

I don't know, maybe I just don't see the signals very well. Haha...that very well could be it. :fish2:

Doug
When your heart is full, try using your head.

#33 Taniwha

Taniwha

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 51 posts
  • Cert Level:Advance Open Water
  • Logged Dives:56

Posted 30 January 2006 - 06:30 PM

I just thought of something else too: Maybe I just need to get away from Lancaster! There's a lot to be said about Geographical Desireability.

(For those of you not in California, Lancaster is a very conservative, podunk little town in the middle of the desert, north of LA.)

DrBill, I sang in that karaoke bar last month. Great place!

Cheers,
Doug
When your heart is full, try using your head.

#34 BeachBunny

BeachBunny

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts
  • Cert Level:Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:Not enough but I am working on it!

Posted 30 January 2006 - 06:56 PM

All I can say is WOW. Walter, no one has ever put it so perfectly before. You rock!! :fish2:

So to sum it up....we like nice guys, just not too nice.
"In order to be irreplaceable one must always be different" CoCo Chanel

beachbunny@singledivers.com

"Be the change you wish to see in the world"
Ghandi

#35 Guest_PlatypusMan_*

Guest_PlatypusMan_*
  • Guests

Posted 30 January 2006 - 07:06 PM

42......... now where did I put my towel.....

So you're the one who keeps sending the PMs about my being a "Hoopy Frood who really knows where his towel is??"

Platypusman
..is this a SatPhone or am I really glad to see you?

Edited by PlatypusMan, 30 January 2006 - 07:07 PM.

#36 jholley309

jholley309

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 271 posts
  • Cert Level:Open Water
  • Logged Dives:20-ish

Posted 30 January 2006 - 10:41 PM

"...He's old enough to know what's right, but young enough not to choose it;
He's noble enough to win the world but weak enough to lose it..."

Oh, sorry, that's a "New World Man".

:lmao:

"Trying to pave the way for the Third World Man..."

Jim

Edited by jholley309, 30 January 2006 - 10:43 PM.

Courage is not the absence of fear. Courage is what you do in spite of your fear.

Every man has fear. Any man who has no fear belongs in an institution. Or in Special Forces.

#37 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 11:09 PM

Wow, talk about a sore subject for me...

I think most single, non-a**hole men over 30 realize we'll never be attractive enough, wealthy enough, confident enough, or secure enough to meet and marry someone like minded.

So we can either change our behavior, change our appearance, work like dogs to aquire money, fake our confidence, etc. to try to meet the woman of our dreams, or we can resign ourselves to being who we are, and being alone while women talk about trying to meet men like us, yet consistently choosing men nothing like us.

It's the biggest ruse in the world.

#38 annasea

annasea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 30 January 2006 - 11:56 PM

I think most single, non-a**hole men over 30 realize we'll never be attractive enough, wealthy enough, confident enough, or secure enough to meet and marry someone like minded.

So we can either change our behavior, change our appearance, work like dogs to aquire money, fake our confidence, etc. to try to meet the woman of our dreams, or we can resign ourselves to being who we are, and being alone while women talk about trying to meet men like us, yet consistently choosing men nothing like us.

It's the biggest ruse in the world.

OUCH! Perrone! So cynical... are you sure you're not from SoCal? (:lmao:)

Seriously, I don't think it's as simple or as general as you make it out to be. There are many women, myself included, that can say the exact same thing about ourselves... not enough *this* or too much of *that*... I know I'm *worthy*, so why am I single? (Personal choice aside.)

I think once/if you do find that *somebody*, even if it's more than once and even if it doesn't last, all those *nobodies* will fall away, and your faith in relationships and finding that *somebody* again will be restored. (Sorry if it sounds too Pollyannaish -- I've had a rather sad day.) At least this is what I'm hoping for! :P

#39 Dive_buddy

Dive_buddy

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:198

Posted 31 January 2006 - 12:34 AM

(Sorry if it sounds too Pollyannaish -- I've had a rather sad day.)

Please click here.
Olympic diving is a sport. Scuba diving is an obsession.

#40 Travelnsj

Travelnsj

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 12:36 AM

is that because we figure we can get bachelor E for easy so will put him aside to go after bachelor D for difficult knowing we can fall back on bachelor E if we fail with D???

:lmao: Sounds familiar..... E=easy=Nice guys=get a nice dinner, good conversation, goodnight handshake and yes lets get together again....D=Difficult=Bad boys=meet him after the goodnight handshake and go party.....LOL...Then when you get tired and want to be a little bit grounded....Get together again with E.....Now is that from personal experience?....Ladies....fess up?...LOL...I'm laughing...and kidding...maybe...LOL...but there are a lot of women like that!

OUCH! Perrone! So cynical... are you sure you're not from SoCal?

:P Now what does that mean? I'm from SoCal....

Edited by Travelnsj, 31 January 2006 - 12:45 AM.

You must endeavor to pursue!

#41 annasea

annasea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 12:58 AM

(Sorry if it sounds too Pollyannaish -- I've had a rather sad day.)

Please click here.

Thank you for that, Peter. :lmao:

#42 Brinybay

Brinybay

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:580

Posted 31 January 2006 - 02:28 AM

...is that because we figure we can get bachelor E for easy so will put him aside to go after bachelor D for difficult knowing we can fall back on bachelor E if we fail with D???

Hmmm, you just gave me an idea for a sure-fire plan. When you visit the PNW, I'll treat you to a big bowl of alphabet soup, that way all my bases are covered!

Posted Image
"The cure for anything is saltwater--sweat, tears, or the sea." - Isak Dinesen

"A good marriage is like an interlocking neurosis, where the rocks in one person's head fill up the holes in the other's."

#43 annasea

annasea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 02:31 AM

...is that because we figure we can get bachelor E for easy so will put him aside to go after bachelor D for difficult knowing we can fall back on bachelor E if we fail with D???

Hmmm, you just gave me an idea for a sure-fire plan. When you visit the PNW, I'll treat you to a big bowl of alphabet soup, that way all my bases are covered!

LOL!!! Excellent, Briny! :clapping:

#44 ScubaHawk

ScubaHawk

Midwest HH Planner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,265 posts
  • Cert Level:Dive Master
  • Logged Dives:1000+

Posted 31 January 2006 - 02:35 AM

I'm also lost on the So-Cal bit. I'm the most cynical member of the board and I'm from So-La and So-Tex.
Just for the record - I'm a gentleman on the town, and a bad boy in the bedroom. :clapping:
Take an SD trip - See old friends you have never met before!
Every existing thing is born without reason, prolongs itself out of weakness, and dies by chance. - Jean-Paul Sartre
I feel the urge, the urge to submerge! -ScubaHawk - Raptor of the Deep !
WHO DAT!!!!

#45 annasea

annasea

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,322 posts

Posted 31 January 2006 - 02:46 AM

I'm also lost on the So-Cal bit. I'm the most cynical member of the board and I'm from So-La and So-Tex.

Really?!? Where've I been? I usually consider myself quite observant. Say it ain't so, Henry! :o

Just for the record - I'm a gentleman on the town, and a bad boy in the bedroom. :clapping:

Information recorded. :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users