• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Male Domination --

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 TekDiveGirl

TekDiveGirl

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 242 posts
  • Cert Level:Technical Divemaster - trained through advanced wreck and Advanced Tri-mix
  • Logged Dives:A whole bunch - I don't know excactly as my logbook was destroyed... )-; It's a long story -- you really don't want to know...

Posted 03 February 2006 - 07:34 AM

So I pondered -- why are we girls outnumbered in the tech arena?

Is it the heavy gear? Are guys unwelcoming ( I haven't found that to be the case but maybe it is in other areas or for other people) - is it the math -- is it it inhearant dangers that come along with mandatory decompression diving...

I am just wondering what us girls are such a minorty in the realm of tech diving...

Discuss.
Kimber

Pink ~~~
It's the New Black!!!

#2 normblitch

normblitch

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts
  • Board Status:Ginnie Springs 12/17, Crystal River 12/18...
  • Cert Level:Cave
  • Logged Dives:522

Posted 03 February 2006 - 07:49 AM

(...feeling Froggy this AM so I will deny the Premise...)

Judging from the ratio in the Springs arena(s), I'd say that there are at LEAST the same proportions of Mars/Venus going, if not MORE fem Techs...

Gear is NOT heavier per se; Tech does NOT = dubs

the Math needed is at BEST linear Algebra

Tech does NOT = mandatory deco; just mandatory deco PLANNING and the ability to do theoretical deco planning...nothing here more complex than '70's - '80's mainstream OW Classes...

Look around at a nominal Cave Workshop around here...maybe you need to relocate!!

:birthday:

Norm
lovin' the Tech Ladies

Is it the heavy gear? Are guys unwelcoming ( I haven't found that to be the case but maybe it is in other areas or for other people) - is it the math -- is it it inhearant dangers that come along with mandatory decompression diving...

I am just wondering what us girls are such a minorty in the realm of tech diving...

Discuss.

#3 Trimix2dive

Trimix2dive

Everyone knows me

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 732 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced Trimix
  • Logged Dives:519

Posted 03 February 2006 - 08:16 AM

Discuss.

That is a very good question. Most of my posts are bonehead leaders. But this is a damn good question. I haven't "tech" dived or seen a "tech" female round here. If you find out the problem, please let me know. LOL, only so much male bonding one can take till boredom sets in.

#4 intotheblue

intotheblue

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts
  • Cert Level:diving since high school; rec, tech, cave and wreck, as well as exploration and expedition diving
  • Logged Dives:Thousands... (really!)

Posted 03 February 2006 - 08:34 AM

Discuss.

Please see the thread regarding "when you gotta go"... :diver:

Just kidding.... but that type of thing is probably a minor factor. I would like to see more women in all areas of diving. I think tech is viewed as "macho", and many women resist anything that has that "flavor" to it. Wouldn't you think a higher proportion of women than men dive more for aesthetics (ie. scenery) and that men might be more predisposed to dive for "exploration" (wreck, deep, cave, etc.). I hate to bring up the stereotypes, but isn't that how the stereotypes came into existence? If I am wrong, please illuminate... but I've been diving a long time, and this is my observaton over the years dating back to when there were very few women diving. Hopefully, with passing time and the improvements in equipment availability and design, technology, training, gender roles in society... etc... there will be more women in all aspects of diving. But... who's gonna look after the kids??? (just kidding again...) :dazzler:

Do you cave dive?

"The most important thing is to never stop breathing"... ITB

Actually, the WORST day of diving is better than the BEST day at work... :)

and... my life is not measured by the number of breaths I take, but by the number of breaths I take UNDER WATER :)

"I see you are no stranger to pain." -- "I was married... TWICE!!!" HOT SHOTS, PART DEUX

#5 drbill

drbill

I spend too much time on line

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 03 February 2006 - 08:59 AM

Kimber, Kimber, Kimber... just accept it and be happy! What I wouldn't give if the ratio of serious divers were strongly skewed in MY favor (meaning lots of intelligent, personable, humorous attractive and diving ladies). I need better odds than the Calif State Lottery if I'm going to "win."

#6 Diverbrian

Diverbrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI DiveCon/IANTD Normoxic Trimix.....
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 03 February 2006 - 09:26 AM

Actually, I notice that in some areas, the proportions seem to be more even than others.

But, you don't know how many women that I talk to aren't interested in diving a wreck in the Great Lakes that is easily a no-deco dive compared to men who think that it is a cool idea. Most of the women want to go watch the pretty fish in warm water (and no this is not meant to be patronizing, those women tend to be smarter than I am).

I have dove "deep wreck" with women on the boat once or twice. If my regular buddy had the time, I would be diving that way with a buddy far more and my regular buddy is a woman. The last that I had talked with her, her ears were starting to perk up at the thought of diving deeper wrecks. In her diving career it would be the same time that I started down that path with roughly the same initial qualifications (number of dives and certifications).
A person should be judged in this life not by the mistakes that they make nor by the number of them. Rather they are to be judged by their recovery from them.

#7 Latitude Adjustment

Latitude Adjustment

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts
  • Cert Level:EanX
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 03 February 2006 - 10:21 AM

I think it's just because guys like to collect more "tech toys"
I, Latitude Adjustment (insert log in name), do hereby swear, (politely), that I shall not hold SingleDivers, (SD), nor any SD poster, (real or imagined), liable, nor shall I seek legal restitution, (real or imagined), for any perceived, (real or imagined), offenses I may incur, (or Incurrrrrrrrrr on talk like a pirate day), that may or may not be posted on this or any SCUBA related board, (real or imagined), by anyone, (real or imagined), anywhere, (real or imagined). Further, I void any right to privacy, (real or imagined), as it may, or may not relate to any posting, (real or imagined), about me, to me, for me, because of me, all about me, my dog, my cat, my bird, my monkey, my family, (real or imagined), my friends, (real or imagined), or my world, (real or imagined).

By all that is wet, I do hereby swear, (politely), and attest, upon pain of never diving again, (real or imagined), that I understand and affirm, that I agree to the above.

_________________________________________(log in name signature)
Signed and Dated

#8 intotheblue

intotheblue

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts
  • Cert Level:diving since high school; rec, tech, cave and wreck, as well as exploration and expedition diving

Posted 03 February 2006 - 10:40 AM

Discuss.

Please see the thread regarding "when you gotta go"... :diver:

Just kidding.... but that type of thing is probably a minor factor. I would like to see more women in all areas of diving. I think tech is viewed as "macho", and many women resist anything that has that "flavor" to it. Wouldn't you think a higher proportion of women than men dive more for aesthetics (ie. scenery) and that men might be more predisposed to dive for "exploration" (wreck, deep, cave, etc.). I hate to bring up the stereotypes, but isn't that how the stereotypes came into existence? If I am wrong, please illuminate... but I've been diving a long time, and this is my observaton over the years dating back to when there were very few women diving. Hopefully, with passing time and the improvements in equipment availability and design, technology, training, gender roles in society... etc... there will be more women in all aspects of diving. But... who's gonna look after the kids??? (just kidding again...) :dazzler:

Do you cave dive?

I found it interesting, albeit anecdotal evidence... but I dated and dived with a girlfriend when I first got out of college, and she was very adventurous... "no fear" of anything when it came to diving... even though she was new to diving and had little experience. She was fairly athletic and seemed confident of herself and ready to go at a moment's notice when it came to the water.

Fast forward 20 years... we met again by chance and I recognized her. We agreed to see each other and SCUBA together again. However, after raising 2 kids and having the "mother mentality" set in... she was a more timid and "fearful" diver than I would have imagined. She went through re-certification and advanced training. She was now interested in shallow diving with lots of scenery, and had little interest in deeper dives or more adventurous diving persuits. It was a big surprise, as she always seemed so full of readiness for pursuing a challenge... Her "fear factor" had definitely changed, I'm guessing since being a mother...

Most women I know are more security conscious than men... and even among the (woman) divers, the women will hold back to a more "secure" pursuit of diving.

Of the women divers you know or see, how many "older" (40+) women are becoming tech divers, as compared to the younger women (22-35)? I'll bet it is a fraction of the number of younger women. Pity if it is true... :P

and... my life is not measured by the number of breaths I take, but by the number of breaths I take UNDER WATER :)

"I see you are no stranger to pain." -- "I was married... TWICE!!!" HOT SHOTS, PART DEUX

#9 ScubaGypsy

ScubaGypsy

• PipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts
  • Cert Level:DM
  • Logged Dives:1500+

Posted 03 February 2006 - 11:49 AM

When I dove in Hawaii last year, 75% of the cattle car charter boats were filled with folks from Japan that were mainly in their 20's (although there was one fella in his late 70's as well!). What I found most surprising was that their ratios were at least 3 to 1 women to men if not more. These were not technical dives per se but were between 80' to 100' with EANx. All of the Japanese women easily did the dives and came up with well over 1000 psi as they used temperature to determine the length of their dives.

I later spoke with one of the DMs and he said that this is typical of what they see as for a number of years they have seen a high proportion of Japanese women in their 20's that are fanatic divers that come to Hawaii regularly.
The sea is everything........Its breath is pure and healthy. It is an immense desert, where man is never lonely, for he feels life stirring on all sides. The sea is only the embodiment of a supernatural and wonderful existence. It is nothing but love and emotion; it is the 'Living Infinite,' ..........

Capt. Nemo...........20,000 Leagues under the Sea

#10 Brinybay

Brinybay

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:580

Posted 03 February 2006 - 11:55 AM

Not really the math, I hate it too. Basic Nitrox brought back nightmares of Jr. High algebra. I seriously doubt I will ever go tech because all those calculations and expense of additional gear take all the fun out of it. There would have to be a very good incentive why I would want to do that.
"The cure for anything is saltwater--sweat, tears, or the sea." - Isak Dinesen

"A good marriage is like an interlocking neurosis, where the rocks in one person's head fill up the holes in the other's."

#11 intotheblue

intotheblue

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts

Posted 03 February 2006 - 11:58 AM

I later spoke with one of the DMs and he said that this is typical of what they see as for a number of years they have seen a high proportion of Japanese women in their 20's that are fanatic divers that come to Hawaii regularly.

Hmmmm, that is interesting... maybe I should convert to Japanese... :P

#12 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts
  • Board Status:thinkin' about diving
  • Cert Level:DM; TDI Adv Nitrox and Deco Procedures
  • Logged Dives:1200 ish

Posted 03 February 2006 - 12:22 PM

Hmmmm, that is interesting... maybe I should convert to Japanese... :D

This is an interesting thread!

you don't have to go to Japan! I've wanted to get into deep diving, wrecks, caverns, caves, etc for at least 2 years. Why do I want to this kinda diving? I want to see what down there, in there, under there; and not look at pictures to do so either :P

#13 Dive_buddy

Dive_buddy

• PipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:198

Posted 03 February 2006 - 12:28 PM

... over the years dating back to when there were very few women diving...

I think that tech diving is lagging rec diving. At first few women did any type of diving, and the sport was male dominated. Now it is the same with tech diving. I don't think it is the weight of the gear, or a lack of ability on a woman's part, or the math. It is simply that, for some reason, women do not feel that they should, or can tech dive. And the only reason I can see that keeps the "female" mindset turned away from tech diving is, do you know how hard it is to get tech gear in coordinated colors?

Kidding aside, I do not know WHY women feel they can't tech dive. I only know that it seems to follow the pattern of rec diving in that men did it first, then the women seemed to follow.

My 2¢
Olympic diving is a sport. Scuba diving is an obsession.

#14 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts
  • Board Status:thinkin' about diving
  • Cert Level:DM; TDI Adv Nitrox and Deco Procedures
  • Logged Dives:1200 ish

Posted 03 February 2006 - 12:38 PM

... over the years dating back to when there were very few women diving...

I think that tech diving is lagging rec diving. At first few women did any type of diving, and the sport was male dominated. Now it is the same with tech diving. I don't think it is the weight of the gear, or a lack of ability on a woman's part, or the math. It is simply that, for some reason, women do not feel that they should, or can tech dive. And the only reason I can see that keeps the "female" mindset turned away from tech diving is, do you know how hard it is to get tech gear in coordinated colors?

Kidding aside, I do not know WHY women feel they can't tech dive. I only know that it seems to follow the pattern of rec diving in that men did it first, then the women seemed to follow.

My 2¢

I don't think some women would feel that they "can't" tech dive, ability-wise..but, it's like back in the 1970's...it wasn't feminine to play sports...now women are participating in many different sports: soccer, football, softball, basketball, etc

so I think tech diving has that aura of being macho; once other women see more women participating, and being feminine while they do so, then more women will start doing these kinds of dives

welcome to the "you can't do that, only GUYS do that!" mentality

#15 normblitch

normblitch

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 588 posts
  • Board Status:Ginnie Springs 12/17, Crystal River 12/18...
  • Cert Level:Cave
  • Logged Dives:522

Posted 03 February 2006 - 12:59 PM

If you had cert'ed 25 years ago, you would have learned the (trifling) math needed to calc Partial Pressures already...how hard is it to compute Third's or Pressure Matches? THAT is Arithmetic, NOT Algebra!

What additional gear? It is the RIGGING and proper choices made in the first place...

Incentives? How about longer BT's for the same gas usage, and World's ahead in Safety and Efficiency?

nhb

Not really the math, I hate it too. Basic Nitrox brought back nightmares of Jr. High algebra. I seriously doubt I will ever go tech because all those calculations and expense of additional gear take all the fun out of it. There would have to be a very good incentive why I would want to do that.

Listen to the Voice...Come to N FL...wear the Black...

:P

You Ladies REALLY need to visit N FL in tow of a Suave SD Tech guide....

:lam:

Norm

you don't have to go to Japan! I've wanted to get into deep diving, wrecks, caverns, caves, etc for at least 2 years. Why do I want to this kinda diving? I want to see what down there, in there, under there; and not look at pictures to do so either :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users