• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Resumes

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Dejah

Dejah

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,218 posts
  • Cert Level:OW
  • Logged Dives:14

Posted 17 February 2006 - 11:17 AM

Anyone got some good pointers on Resume's? It's been a while for me since I've had to do a professional resume so I'm not certain on what employers look for anymore.

Thanks!

Deb

#2 cmt489

cmt489

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,346 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:75+

Posted 17 February 2006 - 11:24 AM

I can definitely give some pointers. My mom was a professional technical writer, which included resumes, until she retired a few years ago. She has always done my resumes and let's just say, I have always gotten an interview.

A personal summary up front in the third person, pointed education and job summaries and try to keep it to three pages maximum. It should peak the interests, not give the whole interview.

If you need some more specific tips, feel free to PM me.

#3 Terri

Terri

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,819 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 17 February 2006 - 11:37 AM

Good pointers from Michelle!

I will also add to make sure you include lots of key words related to your industry since a lot of companies use a resume search tool to pick out the resumes with the best match.
'I'd rather die while I'm living than live while I'm dead'...JB

#4 Brinybay

Brinybay

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:580

Posted 17 February 2006 - 11:51 AM

I highly recommend two books. I know, I know, there are UMPTEEN books out there on writing resumes and cover letters, and I've looked at a lot of them, most of them crap that didn't help at all, but it boiled down to two that I've had good results with. They cut through all the nonsense and get down to business. They are Adams Cover Letter Almanac and Resume Almanac. I don't want to sound like a commercial, but these books were a God-send for me.
"The cure for anything is saltwater--sweat, tears, or the sea." - Isak Dinesen

"A good marriage is like an interlocking neurosis, where the rocks in one person's head fill up the holes in the other's."

#5 Twinklez

Twinklez

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 17 February 2006 - 01:05 PM

Employers want to know what value you will bring to them.

Rather than just identifying your skillset, you need to highlight your accomplishments. Example: You saved them money by implementing a new system, or you increased sales by exploring a new market or developing some kind of demo tool.

They want to see a proven track record rather than the same list of skillsets everyone else seems to have.

AVOID old buzz words!

Choose your descriptive words careful and be prepared to back them up. Example: If you're going to say you're "efficient" in something, be prepared to provide and example at your interview or don't use the word.

(I get the interviews, but always seem to end up second choice. So it's the interview process I need to work on. Currently working for a recruiting company so I'm seeing a lot of what not to do.)

Edited by Twinklez, 17 February 2006 - 01:05 PM.

#6 Dejah

Dejah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,218 posts

Posted 17 February 2006 - 01:40 PM

Thanks everyone for the great advise so far.. unforunate as it seems I will be working on a resume as of very recently I was laid off from my current job. However, I'm very optomistic on finding something to replace it quickly as I'm definately a fighter when it comes to these sort of things.

Wish me luck!

Dejah

#7 Twinklez

Twinklez

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 17 February 2006 - 04:36 PM

Thanks everyone for the great advise so far.. unforunate as it seems I will be working on a resume as of very recently I was laid off from my current job. However, I'm very optomistic on finding something to replace it quickly as I'm definately a fighter when it comes to these sort of things.

Wish me luck!

Dejah

Dejah what do you do? Maybe someone here knows of something?

#8 Dejah

Dejah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,218 posts

Posted 17 February 2006 - 04:57 PM

Wish me luck!

Dejah

Well my actual job title was Senior Business Analyst, however it's difficult and lengthy to explain what I did without actually posting my whole resume on here..

#9 Twinklez

Twinklez

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts

Posted 17 February 2006 - 05:01 PM

Wish me luck!

Dejah

Well my actual job title was Senior Business Analyst, however it's difficult and lengthy to explain what I did without actually posting my whole resume on here..

Cox Communication has a Business Analyst position open out this way. Involves auditing and reporting on Call Center performance and improvement.

If you can get hooked up with a good recruiting agency, you'll have a better chance of getting something with more longevity. I've used a company called Matrix in Dallas, and they're sent me out to some pretty heavy hitters like Haggar, Perot Systems, PepsiCo, and a number of others. You might want to check out their website www.matrixresources.com, and post your resume there.

#10 Desert_Diver

Desert_Diver

Everyone knows me

• Charter Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI AOW, TDI Nitrox (does it really matter to you??)
  • Logged Dives:130 something

Posted 17 February 2006 - 09:20 PM

I'm also curious in the proper etiquette for writing effective resumes, 'cos as of 3 hours ago, I'm officially unemployed (Yay! Now I can get moved out of Phoenix!) It's been, ummm, around 20 years since my last resume, and it's a tad out of date. I have time, so I'll browse the two books Greg recommended (thanks for the pointer), and brush up on an ancient Word 3.0 doc I've been archiving forever...

Leaving friends, family, home, *roots*, and all the good folks I've enjoyed working with for the last decade is worse than hard. Change is good, though, and in a few weeks, it'll be a new adventure in life. Watch out Texas, ya got a desert rat inbound! Right now, I feel like I've jumped out of an airplane with my eyes closed, never bothering to check and see if I had my 'chute on. Wahoo!

I'm in no particular hurry to get employed. I'll take a BIG hit on eventual pay by taking a 5 or 6 month sabbatical, but it's time again.

#11 WreckGoddess

WreckGoddess

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 397 posts
  • Board Status:Studying for Exams (May 1-15th)
  • Cert Level:Master Diver / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:300+

Posted 18 February 2006 - 10:45 PM

Ya'll... I am more than happy to look over your resumes and give pointers (not my job -- but I do have a little bit of experience) so feel free to send them my way. Regardless,.. have a few people look at it! :teeth:
"If you gave me several million years, there would be nothing that did not grow in beauty if it were surrounded by water."
~JAN ERIK VOLD, What All The World Knows, 1970~

Check out the next NOVA/DC/MD Happy Hour/Or Local Event

#12 finley

finley

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW (plus EMT Training)
  • Logged Dives:45

Posted 18 February 2006 - 10:52 PM

I'm also curious in the proper etiquette for writing effective resumes, 'cos as of 3 hours ago, I'm officially unemployed (Yay! Now I can get moved out of Phoenix!) It's been, ummm, around 20 years since my last resume, and it's a tad out of date. I have time, so I'll browse the two books Greg recommended (thanks for the pointer), and brush up on an ancient Word 3.0 doc I've been archiving forever...

Leaving friends, family, home, *roots*, and all the good folks I've enjoyed working with for the last decade is worse than hard. Change is good, though, and in a few weeks, it'll be a new adventure in life. Watch out Texas, ya got a desert rat inbound! Right now, I feel like I've jumped out of an airplane with my eyes closed, never bothering to check and see if I had my 'chute on. Wahoo!

I'm in no particular hurry to get employed. I'll take a BIG hit on eventual pay by taking a 5 or 6 month sabbatical, but it's time again.

what area of Texas and what field?
who's leading this parade anyway?

#13 ev780

ev780

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 11:22 AM

Depending on what level job you have or are looking for I would hire a pro!! I did and I was amazed at the end result. I was a little behind the current resume trends and it was a very eye opening experience for me. Cost almost $300 but I got the job and a fantastic document. Small investment in my eyes.

Fred
"I'd rather die while I am living, than live when I'm dead" Jimmy Buffett and the Coral Reefers

#14 Dejah

Dejah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,218 posts

Posted 20 February 2006 - 10:47 PM

Depending on what level job you have or are looking for I would hire a pro!! I did and I was amazed at the end result. I was a little behind the current resume trends and it was a very eye opening experience for me. Cost almost $300 but I got the job and a fantastic document. Small investment in my eyes.

Fred

Wow, a bit out of my price range on hiring a pro for $300, but I did have a few friends review my Resume and they review alot of Resume's quite often, we made a few tweaks to brighten mine up and hopefully it will work out.. Glad to hear the pro helped you get the job you wanted.. :-D

Edited by Dejah, 20 February 2006 - 10:52 PM.

#15 WreckWench

WreckWench

Founder? I didn't know we lost her!

• Owner
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 53,489 posts
  • Cert Level:DM & Technical certs
  • Logged Dives:5000+

Posted 07 March 2006 - 09:41 AM

I once helped a friend go from a 40k job to $106k by revamping his resume so it highlighted accomplishments and skills and prepping him for interviews which he was a typical engineer and therefore did not sell himself well. When I was in CA (Corporate America) I interviewed lots of people and so also had quite a handle on good resumes. I'm pretty rusty having been out of CA for about 6+ years now but I'd be happy to help in anyway that I can. Dejah send me your resume as well...several eyes on it will help!

Contact me directly at Kamala@SingleDivers.com for your private or group travel needs or 864-557-6079 AND don't miss SD's 2018-2021 Trips! ....here! Most are once in a lifetime opportunities...don't miss the chance to go!!
SD LEGACY/OLD/MANUAL Forms & Documents.... here !

Click here TO PAY for Merchandise, Membership, or Travel
"Imitation is the sincerest flattery." - Gandhi
"Imitation is proof that originality is rare." - ScubaHawk
SingleDivers.com...often imitated...never duplicated!

Kamala Shadduck c/o SingleDivers.com LLC
2234 North Federal Hwy, #1010 Boca Raton, FL 33431
formerly...
710 Dive Buddy Lane; Salem, SC 29676
864-557-6079 tel/celfone/office or tollfree fax 888-480-0906

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users