• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

TSA

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#1 domino22

domino22

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 164 posts
  • Cert Level:Dive Master
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 01 April 2006 - 04:14 PM

Just read some where the other day that most problem airports for thieft of scuba gear was Miami then Fort Lauderdale followed by Seattle as third. This was from TSA employee's that were arrested. Puerto Rico always scared me, just a thought.

#2 Latitude Adjustment

Latitude Adjustment

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts
  • Cert Level:EanX
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 01 April 2006 - 06:18 PM

I've heard about Miami's stolen bags problem before but the bigger problem is TSA taking apart gear to inspect when they don't know how the camera/light cases latchs work and break things. I'm almost sure it was TSA that lost my purge button retainer on the Galapagos trip.
I, Latitude Adjustment (insert log in name), do hereby swear, (politely), that I shall not hold SingleDivers, (SD), nor any SD poster, (real or imagined), liable, nor shall I seek legal restitution, (real or imagined), for any perceived, (real or imagined), offenses I may incur, (or Incurrrrrrrrrr on talk like a pirate day), that may or may not be posted on this or any SCUBA related board, (real or imagined), by anyone, (real or imagined), anywhere, (real or imagined). Further, I void any right to privacy, (real or imagined), as it may, or may not relate to any posting, (real or imagined), about me, to me, for me, because of me, all about me, my dog, my cat, my bird, my monkey, my family, (real or imagined), my friends, (real or imagined), or my world, (real or imagined).

By all that is wet, I do hereby swear, (politely), and attest, upon pain of never diving again, (real or imagined), that I understand and affirm, that I agree to the above.

_________________________________________(log in name signature)
Signed and Dated

#3 jextract

jextract

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,210 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor, Divemaster, Nitrox, Rescue, Wreck, ...
  • Logged Dives:120ish

Posted 07 April 2006 - 03:45 PM

Thousands
Standing
Around

Taking
Shoes
Away

Treason by
Senate
Action

there's a ton of 'em.
"Because I accept the definition, does not mean I accept the defined." -- ScubaHawk
"Love is blind but lust likes lacy panties" -- SanDiegoCarol
"If you're gonna be dumb, you'd better be tough." -- Phillip Manor
"If I know the answer I'll tell you the answer, and if I don't I'll just respond cleverly." -- Donald Rumsfeld

#4 Desert_Diver

Desert_Diver

Everyone knows me

• Charter Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI AOW, TDI Nitrox (does it really matter to you??)
  • Logged Dives:130 something

Posted 09 April 2006 - 12:54 PM

I leave my gear as disassembled as possible, to avoid TSA screwing it up. I then re-assemble everything once we're settled in. So far, I haven't had a problem (crossed fingers!)

I carry my regs in the carry-on so that I can see their sticky fingers... as well as my dive comps and one mask. Worst case, I can rent anything else at most place. My cameras usually go with me, the UW housings stay in my checked bags, with the o-rings in a clear ziplock to keep dust and lint out of 'em.

I trust the TSA about as far as I can spit a bowling ball. Anyone that's willing to sift through my dirty underwear for $6/hour can't be all *that* bright.

Does anyone know if they've actually found ANYTHING for all the grief they've put the American public through over the last 4 1/2 years? I've looked, and haven't found a single report. As far as I can tell, they're just as useful as Hitler's 'brown shirts'... with the same attitude problem. At least our *other* pubicly funded security forces like the police and military have to go through a training program that weeds out some of the trash.

All I can detect of the TSA filtering and training is a minimum of 'dangerous item' identification, and they don't even know their own rules. I had one give me grief about a disassembled pony bottle. I calmly produced the recent list from *their* website that says it's perfectly OK if the valve is removed, as well as the US DOT reg stating that any compressed gas cylinder containing less than 150PSI is not considered 'hazardous' for any transportation purposes.

#5 mantarraya

mantarraya

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:>100

Posted 09 April 2006 - 03:06 PM

As someone who travels frequently for both work and pleasure, I can't see a single improvement in airport security as far as what TSA does. Heck, a few months ago, they even backed off the check for things like box cutters, knives, etc. (things the hijackers did use to carry out 911) in favor of more explosives screening. What was the logic in that????

The whole thing is ridiculous.
Back after a long absence - whew, too busy at work!

#6 yacmandu

yacmandu

Getting started

• Pip
  • 24 posts
  • Cert Level:Advance Open Water
  • Logged Dives:94

Posted 26 May 2006 - 01:01 PM

As someone who travels frequently for both work and pleasure, I can't see a single improvement in airport security as far as what TSA does. Heck, a few months ago, they even backed off the check for things like box cutters, knives, etc. (things the hijackers did use to carry out 911) in favor of more explosives screening. What was the logic in that????

The whole thing is ridiculous.

I agree TSA is ridiculous.
I almost missed a flight because I was to late to check a bag. I forgot I had my pocket knife stashed in case we went hiking. The TSA worker didn't know whether to measure from the serrations to the tip or the whole blade. Then he had to call a supervisor. After that I had to fill out a bunch of forms. Now I am probably on some watch list.
To top this off it is a Federal job with those great benifits.

#7 Photographic Mercenary

Photographic Mercenary

People are starting to get to know me

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • Cert Level:USCG Captain AOW, Been diving actively since 1978 in the mid atlantic and all over the world
  • Logged Dives:well over 500, the dives get numbers and ratings now

Posted 07 June 2006 - 02:24 PM

I have given up on traveling with my gear.
Inside the states I ship UPS three day ground.
Insure the contents for three times the value.
I can track where it is from the web.
Ship directly to the dive shop I am working with.
Let them know it's coming.
Then on the return, ship directly to home.
No muss no fuss.
Parker cases work for me.

I'm working on an agreement for shipping to the islands, getting around customs quickly.
UPS is a Teamsters Union operation they know how to grease the wheels.

pm

Norman J. McCullough

Photographic Mercenary,

Crisis Management,

Defender of Dumb Animals, & Damsels in Distress,

Licensed  Fool.

#8 intotheblue

intotheblue

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts
  • Cert Level:diving since high school; rec, tech, cave and wreck, as well as exploration and expedition diving
  • Logged Dives:Thousands... (really!)

Posted 07 June 2006 - 03:24 PM

I leave my gear as disassembled as possible, to avoid TSA screwing it up. I then re-assemble everything once we're settled in. So far, I haven't had a problem (crossed fingers!)

I carry my regs in the carry-on so that I can see their sticky fingers... as well as my dive comps and one mask. Worst case, I can rent anything else at most place. My cameras usually go with me, the UW housings stay in my checked bags, with the o-rings in a clear ziplock to keep dust and lint out of 'em.

After them stealing a great little crescent wrench on my key chain, a couple pair of nail clippers, and a bunch of expensive batteries to a mexican screener, I bought a boat! Between cave diving and diving offshore, I keep myself pretty content! I do miss the diving, but not the hassles.

:cheerleader:
"The most important thing is to never stop breathing"... ITB

Actually, the WORST day of diving is better than the BEST day at work... :)

and... my life is not measured by the number of breaths I take, but by the number of breaths I take UNDER WATER :)

"I see you are no stranger to pain." -- "I was married... TWICE!!!" HOT SHOTS, PART DEUX

#9 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 07 June 2006 - 03:42 PM

I flew to the Bahamas last week through FLL. I had no issues with my gear either carry-on or checked. I actually fly quite a bit. I am almost always with my gear and I have yet to have any issue. I take my bags to the check area and simply explain I am a scuba diver and they will see scuba gear. They thank me for letting them know (it usually sparks a good natured conversation to boot), and my bags always get pulled for further inspection. I wait and watch while they do their check. At that point I have an option to lock my luggage for the duration of my travels.

I have yet to see an airport where the bag checks are not visible to the passengers or where the passengers are not allowed to lock their baggage after the inspection. Am I just lucky?

On my most recent trip I had to clear customs in FLL on my return, again I just stated that I have scuba equipment and the bags were inspected in detail while I watched.
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#10 blacktar

blacktar

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI OWSI, Normoxic Trimix, full cave
  • Logged Dives:700

Posted 07 June 2006 - 05:48 PM

I have had similar experiences as Dive Girl. What really surprises me is that in places like MIA, I figure that they would be used to seeing dive gear. But I always get the person who just doesnt have a clue. All I do is tell them I have dive gear. I always get asked "How deep have you been?" After a friendly chit chat and full body cavity search they have no problem letting me put a zip tie on my duffel bag zippers. Maybe I should be the one asking "how deep have YOU been?"
Patrick
BLACKTAR
"The edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who know where it is are those that have gone over." Hunter S. Thompson

#11 Travelnsj

Travelnsj

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 08 June 2006 - 08:55 AM

:thankyou: I always take my Reg, Mask, Camera, Light and Computer in an extra carryon. I am standing there while I explain that is a Reg, light etc....they do not take anything apart. May be a little heavy and cumbersome carring on two carryons....But everything makes it.

Yacmanu...TSA sounds like a great job.....and I need one....work for the Feds get all those great benefits...and I can live off the tax paying public.....Maybe it is time I get some of my money back...I think I will apply!...LOL

Edited by Travelnsj, 08 June 2006 - 08:56 AM.

You must endeavor to pursue!

#12 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 08 June 2006 - 10:51 AM

After a friendly chit chat and full body cavity search they have no problem letting me put a zip tie on my duffel bag zippers. Maybe I should be the one asking "how deep have YOU been?"

:P

:cheerleader:
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#13 cdtgray

cdtgray

Getting started

• Pip
  • 41 posts
  • Cert Level:Recreational: NAUI Instructor, Technical: Full Trimix
  • Logged Dives:A few hundred-ish but most are not LOGGED.

Posted 08 July 2006 - 05:10 AM

For a while I didn't really mind TSA. I have never had anything stolen from my checked baggage and found the checks at the gate to be only a minor hassle.

However, my opinion of TSA definitely turned negative when I arrived in back in the US on mid-tour leave from Iraq. While departing the international terminal myself and the other soldiers who were also on the flight from Kuwait were treated to a warm welcome from members of the USO as well as other organizations and individuals. Yet when we processed back through security to catch follow-on flights, the reception by TSA was less than welcome. In addition to removing boots and belts, extra bag searches and pat-downs seemed to be the norm for the group. In general the attitude of the TSA employees seemed to be somewhere in between indifferent and angry, as though our requirement to go through their security checkpoint was an inconvenience to them. Perhaps my perception was skewed from spending the preceeding 80 hours traveling, but what I saw just seemed wrong.

#14 captsteve

captsteve

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts
  • Cert Level:aow/nitrox
  • Logged Dives:absolutly no idea

Posted 08 July 2006 - 04:36 PM

They almost screwed up my mp3player housing....... ouch!

#15 ScubaHawk

ScubaHawk

Midwest HH Planner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,265 posts
  • Cert Level:Dive Master
  • Logged Dives:1000+

Posted 09 July 2006 - 09:53 AM

On my trip back from the New Years Eve blast in Cozy, the Mexico authorities took my small extension cord and power strip, claiming I could not take them on the plane. The funny part is when the lady asked her co-worker, in Spanish "Do we still need one of these in the office?"

The worst part of the baggage situation in America is the lack of responsibility. Between my friend and I we have had 3 bags broken and numerous minutia disappear. The airline blames the baggage handlers, the baggage handlers blame TSA, TSA blames the airlines etc .. .
Take an SD trip - See old friends you have never met before!
Every existing thing is born without reason, prolongs itself out of weakness, and dies by chance. - Jean-Paul Sartre
I feel the urge, the urge to submerge! -ScubaHawk - Raptor of the Deep !
WHO DAT!!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users