• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

TSA

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#16 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

I spend too much time on line

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts
  • Board Status:Omnes Qui Errant Non Pereunt!
  • Cert Level:Rec: DM -- Tec: Ext Range
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 09 July 2006 - 10:03 AM

hawk

i will agree with you on the blame game, it needs to stop because by both sides arguing like that it just proves that there isnt really any security for baggage and then at that point whats the use of the TSA if they arent providing any security. Just wait till a major lawsuit against a airline for lost/damaged luggauge that all parties(airline, baggage handlers, airport and TSA) get named and have to explain in court there lack of security.

can someone explain to me what that extra TSA fee does exactly

tooth

A Novus Dies Has Adveho.... Occupo Dies

Where in the World is Tooth? ... Catch Me It You Can!

Traveling the World, Diving, and Photography, on my days off from saving lives as a Paramedic

#17 Desert_Diver

Desert_Diver

Everyone knows me

• Charter Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI AOW, TDI Nitrox (does it really matter to you??)
  • Logged Dives:130 something

Posted 09 July 2006 - 10:08 AM

The worst part of the baggage situation in America is the lack of responsibility. Between my friend and I we have had 3 bags broken and numerous minutia disappear. The airline blames the baggage handlers, the baggage handlers blame TSA, TSA blames the airlines etc .. .

Yeah, it was a lot better when the lazy bastards used to REPLACE my zip ties after they'd cut 'em off. Once they stopped putting the green ones on, the theft began. I've lost a few little things myself, but only after they cheaped out and quit with the zip ties. Ya just can't get good help, nowadays!

From what I'd heard, using the 'TSA-approved' locks aren't any better 'cos that makes it harder for the Mexican screeners and other authorized criminals to steal things, so they cut 'em off.

Doesn't it give you a warm, fuzzy feeling knowing you're in the trusting care of TSA for your flight security? :welcome:

#18 Brinybay

Brinybay

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:580

Posted 09 July 2006 - 11:25 AM

I don't travel much, in fact hardly at all, but one tip I read about dealing with lost/stolen luggage was from a couple who did travel a lot and got fed up with lost/stolen luggage. Didn't matter that they insured it, it was still a hassle. They started shipping their luggage UPS to their destination. They would call the hotel manager and tell them it was coming, and it was in their room waiting for them when they got there. I tried it once many years ago, pre-911 when I visited my cousin in San Diego. Although it was a residence I sent it to and w/in the US, I had no worries about my dive gear. Same for the trip home.

Edited by Brinybay, 09 July 2006 - 08:22 PM.

"The cure for anything is saltwater--sweat, tears, or the sea." - Isak Dinesen

"A good marriage is like an interlocking neurosis, where the rocks in one person's head fill up the holes in the other's."

#19 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 09 July 2006 - 04:35 PM

Interesting... I haven't had anything stolen or lost on an airplane trip since 1969 when our local Catalina Airlines "lost" my 60's style guitar.

Of course anyone who has seen my gear knows that to an untrained observer it looks like junk, when in reality it is some of the finest stuff made... just very well used. Very well used.

When I travel I take my older wetsuit(s), BCD, fins, etc. and check them. No big loss if anything happens. I carry on my reg, computer and video system.

#20 shadragon

shadragon

Tech Admin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,055 posts
  • Cert Level:MSD / DM / Solo
  • Logged Dives:534' ish

Posted 09 February 2007 - 06:42 AM

I always get asked "How deep have you been?"

Last time an airport screener asked me that I said, "Only 1100 feet this time. Had to turn around when I had a bit of trouble with my AL 80..." He just blinked and waved me through...

In Boston, I went through a screening line. She (A 20'ish young lady with shock red hair...) unpacked my reg which was in my carry on in a hard case and immediately bumped it against the side of the table. My sharp intake of breath and instinctive half lunge toward her got her attention.

"What is the matter?" She asks guardedly...

"Three things Miss. A) That small piece of metal in your hand is worth twice what my air ticket cost. B) My life depends on it when I go diving. C) My ex-wife is still my beneficiary on my life insurance."

She blinked twice and then ROARED with laughter... She handled it with deference from then on...

On the way to the Red Sea, every US airport there and back unpacked my reg. In Milan it went through the X-Ray machine and the tech on duty waved me through saying "Have fun diving..." World of difference.
Remember, email is an inefficient communications forum. You may not read things the way it was intended. Give people the benefit of the doubt before firing back... Especially if it is ME...! ;)

Tech Support - The hard we do right away; the impossible takes us a little longer...

"I like ponies on no-stop diving. They convert "ARGH!! I'M GOING TO DIE" into a mere annoyance." ~Nigel Hewitt

#21 echo3

echo3

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 24 February 2007 - 10:53 AM

at a previous employer, I used to work on the screening equipment (x-ray, metal detectors, etd..etc..)

post 9/11 security is even more messed up than pre 9/11. I had to deal with them daily.

pre 9/11-

I use to be able to take my equipment through the checkpoints without issue. screeners and the like were not the brightest bunch, but easy to work with.

post 9/11-

the tsa takes over, (hey, people WANTED the .gov to be in charge) talk about a bunch of idiots.
I couldn't "bring" anything into the checkpoint from the 'unsecure' side, but once in, I had unlimited access to EVERYTHING, and I do mean everything (so what have they "prevented" ?)
and get this, I could esscort ANYONE WITHOUT AN AIRPORT ID, claiming to be a technician with their tools to any place on the airport through the same checkpoint that I COULDN'T bring my own tools through. :thankyou:

I have also been prevented from going though the checkpoint with a military P-38 can opener on my keychain (because it had a "pointy end" on it)..wth? I've got keys on the same keychain which will do more damage if chosen to be a weapon.

the tsa thinks they're so smart (makes me sick)

well, the people got what they asked for, now good luck getting rid of them.

9/11 (via airplanes) will never happen again, people won't allow it knowing what the possibilities are.

the terrorists are very patient and are examining things in great detail, they are waiting for their time.

The tsa hassling everyone is one of the many things the terrorists take pride in accomplishing.
"I'll fight it, but I won't kill it. Now, what about my dynamite?" - Steve Zissou

#22 sharkbait97

sharkbait97

Getting started

• Banned
  • Pip
  • 33 posts
  • Cert Level:none
  • Logged Dives:none

Posted 10 December 2007 - 01:16 PM

Believe me, I know all about tsa and their incompetence. I handle bags at Frontier and one time I had to go through the normal checkpoint because my access elevator was being serviced, and the tsa agent would not let me through with my unopened container of yogurt.
Charlie don't surf!

#23 Parrotman

Parrotman

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 678 posts
  • Cert Level:OW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:I stopped putting them in the book at 300 I'm somewhere around 950 now

Posted 11 December 2007 - 08:50 PM

On a recent trip to South America I was going through security right behind an elderly woman who looked to be in her 80's. She was quite frail, could barely walk without assistance and was going to visit her grandchildren. She had a small tube of hand cream in her carry on that was not inside a plastic bag. They made this poor woman leave the line and go to the cafeteria to purchase a plastic bag to put the hand cream in.
I went through with out a hitch. They did not even look twice at me. When I got to where I was going, I was digging through my briefcase which is actually a soft sided laptop case. I carry all of my travel docs etc in it, and I found my dive knife. I had apparently stuck it in there on a previous trip and forgot that I had.

It's rather pathetic when these people can't let a tube of hand cream go through but they completely miss a rather sharp, serrated edge dive knife.

It really does not make one feel very secure about security.

Edited by Parrotman, 11 December 2007 - 08:52 PM.

Sea Turtle advocate!

#24 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 12 December 2007 - 11:36 PM

When I have to fly somewhere to dive, I always try to take a private jet to avoid such hassles. However, so far no one has let me take their jet.

Mexican screeners always seem to find explosive residue in my camera housing, but they let me through anyway. On my last trip I didn't take any dive gear but carried on a bag with a laptop, external hard drive, camcorder and digital camera. Other than the usual screening (each item in a separate tray) I had no real problems.

Edited by drbill, 12 December 2007 - 11:38 PM.

#25 CaptSaaz

CaptSaaz

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,194 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:88

Posted 17 December 2007 - 08:44 AM

My favorite TSA story.. Austin TX airport. I had been in area looking to buy retirement property about a year ago. On one of the properties I decided to buy, we found the remain of a deer and my friend Dennis picked up the antlers, cleaned them off and handed them to me to bring home to Sandy as sort of a souvenir.

I put them in my carry on without thinking about it. At 20 inches long with pointy tines, this could be used as a weapon. As I went thru the security checkpoint they pulled my bag... just then it dawned on me... oh well.. just a set of antlers.. they'll just take them and toss them... no biggie. The TSA 'worker' went right past the antlers... yes she touched them.. and went right for the shampoo in the baggie. Looked at my "potentially dangerous" liquid, packed it back in and handed the bag back to me. OOOOOKKKKKKKKK

Does the flying public have to worry about me or the 98 year old grandma? Heck no but we're the ones being harrassed. I am not PC and will state, profiling is how you catch criminals. Just ask any police force or FBI agent.
</rant off>
We all must believe in something... I believe I'll have another beer

#26 scubaski

scubaski

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,840 posts
  • Cert Level:ow-aow-ean
  • Logged Dives:400 plus

Posted 17 December 2007 - 11:42 AM

My favorite TSA story.. Austin TX airport. I had been in area looking to buy retirement property about a year ago. On one of the properties I decided to buy, we found the remain of a deer and my friend Dennis picked up the antlers, cleaned them off and handed them to me to bring home to Sandy as sort of a souvenir.

I put them in my carry on without thinking about it. At 20 inches long with pointy tines, this could be used as a weapon. As I went thru the security checkpoint they pulled my bag... just then it dawned on me... oh well.. just a set of antlers.. they'll just take them and toss them... no biggie. The TSA 'worker' went right past the antlers... yes she touched them.. and went right for the shampoo in the baggie. Looked at my "potentially dangerous" liquid, packed it back in and handed the bag back to me. OOOOOKKKKKKKKK

Does the flying public have to worry about me or the 98 year old grandma? Heck no but we're the ones being harrassed. I am not PC and will state, profiling is how you catch criminals. Just ask any police force or FBI agent.
</rant off>

Right On!!! Profiling is the way to go. TSA pulled my Dad for 2nd screening. WW2 Vet on way to his Navy Reunion for having replaced knees that set off metal detector.
MADRE FELIZ DIA MAMÁ

#27 georoc01

georoc01

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,675 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver
  • Logged Dives:200

Posted 19 December 2007 - 08:41 AM

Well, on my last trip to Australia, my dive knife and scuba tool dissapeared from my checked bag.

Meanwhile, a friend of mine accidently carries on a .45 to Costa Rica and doesn't discover that she had until she arrived in her hotel room. The gun is now safely sitting in the hotel safe down there as she didn't dare try and bring it back.

#28 CaptSaaz

CaptSaaz

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,194 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:88

Posted 19 December 2007 - 05:49 PM

Well, on my last trip to Australia, my dive knife and scuba tool dissapeared from my checked bag.

Meanwhile, a friend of mine accidently carries on a .45 to Costa Rica and doesn't discover that she had until she arrived in her hotel room. The gun is now safely sitting in the hotel safe down there as she didn't dare try and bring it back.

Accidently carried on a .45??? <shaking my head>
We all must believe in something... I believe I'll have another beer

#29 Starfish Sandy

Starfish Sandy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts
  • Cert Level:aow, nitrox
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 19 December 2007 - 08:07 PM

hmmmmm - Has Carla been to Costa Rica lately?? :)

AND I get stopped and searched for an INSULIN PUMP. Has to be wiped down for explosives. :P

Edited by Starfish Sandy, 19 December 2007 - 08:08 PM.

Known puker

#30 Starfish Sandy

Starfish Sandy

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,323 posts
  • Cert Level:aow, nitrox
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 19 December 2007 - 08:10 PM

</rant off>

AGAIN....................same airport searches me due to an INSULIN PUMP. Perhaps I should travel with my antlers............................. :P
Known puker

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users