• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Travel Tip of the Day

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 finGrabber

finGrabber

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,276 posts
  • Board Status:thinkin' about diving
  • Cert Level:DM; TDI Adv Nitrox and Deco Procedures
  • Logged Dives:1200 ish

Posted 02 April 2006 - 01:49 PM

1. Make sure you have a signed, valid passport and visas, if required. Also, before you go, fill in the emergency information page of your passport!

2. Read the Consular Information Sheets and any Travel Warnings for the countries you plan to visit. (Look at the end of this listing for where to find Consular Information Sheets).

#2 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 02 April 2006 - 03:39 PM

Great tip Kim! Some countries have made obtaining their visas easy via online submissions. For example, you can obtain your Australian visa online. You don't get any permit or paper, it is "attached" to your passport number so when you check in at the airport and they enter your passport number, they will see you have your visa.

To check into your required visas thoroughly, click here for a great list of visa requirements from the Foreign Entry Requirements section of the U.S. Department of State Website.
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#3 cmt489

cmt489

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,346 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:75+

Posted 03 April 2006 - 12:12 PM

Also a good rule of thumb is to make sure your passport is valid for at least 6 months at the time of your trip. Many countries will not let you enter if your passport is due to expire in less than 6 months.

#4 AliKat

AliKat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,232 posts

Posted 03 April 2006 - 12:25 PM

You can also "register" with the State Department, on line, so they will know what AmCits are in what countries should something happen in thet area.
"

#5 finley

finley

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 556 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW (plus EMT Training)
  • Logged Dives:45

Posted 03 April 2006 - 08:50 PM

Also a good rule of thumb is to make sure your passport is valid for at least 6 months at the time of your trip. Many countries will not let you enter if your passport is due to expire in less than 6 months.

This is true of Honduras
who's leading this parade anyway?

#6 Capn Jack

Capn Jack

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts
  • Board Status:Working to fund the next trip
  • Cert Level:YMCA in 65, dove till 79, returned in 2002... now will work for air and/or beer as a DM
  • Logged Dives:not enough

Posted 03 April 2006 - 09:31 PM

Excellent point. If you need to check a particular nation, the US Government lists visa / visiting requirements, including minimum validity periods.

US Government info

The previous ability to travel in much of the americas without a passport is ending for air travel 12/31/06.

By the way, I just renewed mine, paid $60 extra for expedited service. I sent it Saturday via Express mail, and it was returned to me on the following Friday in Priority mail.
No aquarium, no tank in a marine land, however spacious it may be, can begin to duplicate the conditions of the sea. And no dolphin who inhabits one of those aquariums or one of those marine lands can be considered normal.
Jacques Yves Cousteau

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users