• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Anybody else dive this week

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#16 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts
  • Cert Level:Course Director; CCR Instructor
  • Logged Dives:2000+

Posted 05 April 2006 - 08:35 AM

This past Saturday afternoon, we dove the wreck of the Ancient Mariner (see pics below), and then we did a reef drift dive. Below is the report of the first dive on the Ancient Mariner.

Built in 1933 and lauched in 1934, the 165 foot long vessel Nemesis was a U. S. Coast Guard vessel originally earmarked to chase "rum runners" during the years of legal prohibition against alcoholic beverage sales in the United States. She never actually saw any "action" in this arena since, by the time she was launched, the Prohibition was over.

Following her Coast Guard commision, she changed owners a number of times. In 1979, she was remodeled and turned into a floating restaurant called Livingston's Landing. In 1981, she was sold and then renamed the Ancient Mariner. She continued to operate as a restaurant until the late 1980s, when a case of food poisoning led to the demise of this restuarant business.

1991, she was purchased by the South Florida Divers and the Create-A-Reef Foundation, and she was donted to Broward County to create a local artificial reef. She was laid to rest in 71 feet of water off of Deerfield Beach Florida, where she is a local attraction for divers.

On this day, I am diving with MannyDib and his friend, Bob, who are both unfortunate bubblemaker souls. We are diving with South Florida Diving Headquarters aboard the Safari Diver, http://www.southflor...afari_diver.htm. The boat is full, and it offers no protection from the sun when seated on the dive bench seats. I am not happy to find out about this as I am diving dry, as I always do.

By the time the divemaster ties off the boat to the site, I am more than toasty in my drysuit. Fortunately, I am the first off of the boat, and I am thankful to be in the cooler water. The water color looks good on the surface, and there is only a slight current.

My buddy jumps in the water behind me. As we are about to descend, I realize that I forgot to connect my drysuit hose! I was so hot that I didn't complete my full pre-dive check for anything except the CCR (since that is my newest piece of equipment). Will I ever learn? Manny helps me find the hose, and I connect it to the drysuit inlet valve.

We start down the line. Since there is almost no current, I let go of the line about half way down, doing a free descent, and fixing up my sidemount bailout bottle, a newer configuration that I am still working on, along the way.

At the bottom, I look behind me. Nobody's there though I can see shadows up near the surface. So, I wait on the top deck of the wreck, just below where the anchor line has been tied in by the divemaster. PPO2 looks good (I set my Hammerhead computer to 1.0 but fly manually between 1.1 and 1.2), and I feel comfortable in my rig. I feel around for my bailout regulator and other devices. The water temperature is 75 degrees, and I am now cooled off from baking in the sun prior to the dive. Everything is set.

I must have waited almost five minutes before I saw Bob arriving, giving me the ear problem signal. Manny was taking a while to get down to the wreck. Finally, he gets there.

The three of us explore the wreck for about 60 minutes or so, and we complete our dive by making a slow ascent with stops at 40 feet for one minute, 30 feet for one minute, and then we spend five minutes at 20 feet. I bump up the PP02 to about 1.4 for the ascent. Total run time is 70 minutes.

Overall, we had fun on the dive. However, there was a lot of particulate in the water, making overall visibility about 50 feet or just under that.

Attached Images

• Ancient_Mariner.jpg
  • Ancient_Mariner_3.jpg

Edited by ScubaDadMiami, 05 April 2006 - 08:45 AM.

"The most important thing is not to stop questioning." Albert Einstein

"For the diligent diver, closed circuit rebreathers are actually safer than open circuit scuba." Tom Mount

#17 ScubaGypsy

ScubaGypsy

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts
  • Cert Level:DM
  • Logged Dives:1500+

Posted 05 April 2006 - 08:46 AM

You guys are all making me so jealous! Great story SDM! I leave to start heading south on Saturday with an expected stop in Beaufort on 14 April and then Key West on 17 April.

But I too did get a mini dive in on Sunday, 2 April. My oldest son has been very anxious to go diving again as he hadn't been since our 30 December 2005 adventure at Blue Grotto. However I warned him that the water was only 41 on the previous weekend (25 March) but he was still gung-ho even though he'd be diving a wetsuit while I dove dry. So we went for an afternoon dive on Sunday, 2 April out of Kings Beach in Newport, RI. The air temperatures were pretty decent at 60 and the water temperature had risen over the week to a balmy 43! Well we just puttered around to a maximum depth of about 15'. There was little sealife out though we did pick up a few littleneck clams. However after about 20 minutes he was cold so we came back in. Interestingly I felt so much warmer this week with just a 2 degree temperature improvement. Oh well, next stop is Beaufort!
The sea is everything........Its breath is pure and healthy. It is an immense desert, where man is never lonely, for he feels life stirring on all sides. The sea is only the embodiment of a supernatural and wonderful existence. It is nothing but love and emotion; it is the 'Living Infinite,' ..........

Capt. Nemo...........20,000 Leagues under the Sea

#18 6Gill

6Gill

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 09 April 2006 - 11:12 PM

What a difference a week makes....
Did 5 dives in the same area as last week with 50ft vis.This weekend the top 20ft was brown soup that in some places went as deep as 70ft(most places it cleared up at 40ft)Once below it the water was crystal clear but it was like doing a night dive.From now to fall the vis will be hit and miss from weekend to weekend and location to location.There was still lots to see,you just had to get up close.
Well will see what next weekend holds....

Eric

#19 konascubagirl

konascubagirl

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 176 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 10 April 2006 - 02:00 AM

On Monday I led a group around Keauhou Bay late in the afternoon, planted lights on the bottom, and went back out about 7:30 pm to hang out with the mantas. We had 3 LARGE mantas put a show on for us...knocking over our lights while skimming over them feeding on the plankton. Beautiful dive. Saw my first cusk eel, looks like a moray at the back end and like a catfish at the front. Weird!

KSG

#20 drbill

drbill

I spend too much time on line

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 10 April 2006 - 10:57 AM

Did anyone dive? Did the sun come up and set? Did anyone drink a few brewski's? Of course we dove this weekend despite the frigid (well, actually a balmy 53 F) temperatures.

8 dives from Thurs-Sat. "Discovered" a new species of tunicate (new to me). Favorite "discovery" was a decorator crab covered in red algae! It was barely detectable from the algal detritus at Hen Rock, but I happened to notice one moving and was astounded since I've never seen them before and I dive that site frequently. Got plenty of footage and then revisited the site two days later and got more. Showed it to a few DM candidates who were on the boat as well.

Also a great angel shark. It was snoozing buried in the sand with just its eyes showing. I did a "no no" and nudged it to get it to swim away. As it did, sand streamed off its dorsal surface forming a "contrail." Awesome.

Freshly laid squid eggs were stil present at the site... those squid have been going at it for 4 months now. I wish I had such stamina!

I found a couple of lobster out in the open during daylight. I think they forgot to set their clocks ahead for Daylight Savings Time.

Great set of dives and lots of new footage.

#21 captsteve

captsteve

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts
  • Cert Level:aow/nitrox
  • Logged Dives:absolutly no idea

Posted 14 April 2006 - 06:25 PM

Got in one dive on a shallow wreck in 21ft. it was an ore carrier that is to this day unidentified, but i think it sank in 1910. maybe 10ft vis and 61 degree water. some surge, but very little current. my dive buddy "pointed" out a loose porthole cribbed up in the debris.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users