• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Better, still not totally dial-up friendly

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Desert_Diver

Desert_Diver

Everyone knows me

• Charter Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI AOW, TDI Nitrox (does it really matter to you??)
  • Logged Dives:130 something

Posted 02 April 2006 - 10:08 PM

I see a lot of ALT tags have appeared. Thanks! I'm surfing in *text* mode 'cos the pages are taking for-freakin'-ever to load with all the graphics at 12Kbit or less. The (forgot the name of the color scheme) gray one doesn't work, though. If I hold the laptop at *just* the right angle, I can mostly make out the names of the posters. I can't see at all what thread they've posted in without descending into that forum (i.e. can't see the topics from the SI main). Everything else is working fine, for those of us suddenly thrown into the Stone Age of communications. Gawd, I keep looking around to see where the Novation CAT is plugged into... (old acoustic-coupled modem for you younger generation friends.)

I don't think IE will let you surf in TEXT mode, but Firefox and Opera will. Opera doesn't render the pages here very well (version 6.5) but Firefox 1.5 is working nicely. I can almost use the board like this.

OK, I admit it. I'm bandwidth-addicted. I'm in severe withdrawl at the moment, and thinking of scheduling Comcast to come see me before I even hit town. There's no such thing as 'the good old days' in computers OR bandwidth.

Since I saved $300 by taking someone's suggestion after U-Haul screwed me, maybe that V360 phone with EDGE is gonna happen faster than I'd counted on. Hmmm. Thanks, Deb, you may have just bought me a better connection!

UPDATE: None of the color schemes show the post topic from the main Survace Interval page, and the Star Spangled color scheme looks useable in pure text mode. Luminos (the gray theme) is pretty much off my list for now.

Edited by Desert_Diver, 02 April 2006 - 10:14 PM.

#2 Latitude Adjustment

Latitude Adjustment

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts
  • Cert Level:EanX
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 03 April 2006 - 05:34 AM

How slow is your dial up? I use a dial up at home since DSL isn't available in my neck of the Pinelands and even when I've only had 28.8kps SingleDivers has loaded okay. You may have other problems. :cool2:
I, Latitude Adjustment (insert log in name), do hereby swear, (politely), that I shall not hold SingleDivers, (SD), nor any SD poster, (real or imagined), liable, nor shall I seek legal restitution, (real or imagined), for any perceived, (real or imagined), offenses I may incur, (or Incurrrrrrrrrr on talk like a pirate day), that may or may not be posted on this or any SCUBA related board, (real or imagined), by anyone, (real or imagined), anywhere, (real or imagined). Further, I void any right to privacy, (real or imagined), as it may, or may not relate to any posting, (real or imagined), about me, to me, for me, because of me, all about me, my dog, my cat, my bird, my monkey, my family, (real or imagined), my friends, (real or imagined), or my world, (real or imagined).

By all that is wet, I do hereby swear, (politely), and attest, upon pain of never diving again, (real or imagined), that I understand and affirm, that I agree to the above.

_________________________________________(log in name signature)
Signed and Dated

#3 Desert_Diver

Desert_Diver

Everyone knows me

• Charter Member
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 710 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI AOW, TDI Nitrox (does it really matter to you??)
  • Logged Dives:130 something

Posted 05 April 2006 - 07:42 PM

I'm using GPRS at the moment, max ~40Kbit, 5 to 20Kbit is more common. It's sslloooowwwww here in Plano. Just hit town after a 1100 mile drive, and EVERYTHING is out in the truck. At least, all the stuff I brought this pass, things I need for 1 to 3 months before I get a house here.

There's two data modes for G3 GSM phones, and I'm running the slow one at the moment 'cos I don't have a phone with EDGE (yet). 'Till I get my cable up, it's useable but excruciating.

(sheepish grin) OK, I'm an idiot. I never noticed the 'lo-fi version' link at the bottom of the site. It runs in pure text mode.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users