• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Jean-Michel Cousteau: Ocean Adventures

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#1 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 09 April 2006 - 11:05 PM

Jean-Michel Cousteau Ocean Adventures
Catch episodes every Wednesday at 8pm - started April 5th (local channels should make re-runs available the week of the original episode run)

Set sail and explore dangerous and spectacular locales traveling to the Northwest Hawaiian Island archipelago, the most remote island group in the world with Jean-Michel Cousteau: Ocean Adventures, a multi-part HDTV series premiering on PBS April 5 at 8PM with the first of the 6 hour specials Voyage to Kure, narrated by Pierce Brosnan.

Using state-of-the-art technology and accompanied by marine scientists and ecologists, Jean-Michel Cousteau and his acclaimed diving teams will explore a thrilling array of natural phenomena, investigate little known territories and ecosystems hundreds of feet beneath the ocean’s surface, and come face to face with the friendly and ferocious inhabitants of the deep in each episode of Ocean Adventures. Through Jean-Michel’s and his team’s observations, the series will illuminate the great need for better understanding and sustainable management of the oceans’ rich natural treasures.

Click here for a Series Synopsis

Voyage to Kure I
Voyage to Kure II
Grey Whale Obstacle Course
Sharks At Risk
America’s Underwater Treasures I
America’s Underwater Treasures II

[source: Ocean Futures Society]

You should also check for local listings. For those in Oregon (or the Southwestern part of Washington):

Episode 1: Voyage to Kure I will be encore aired on OPB (Channel 10) at 9am this Tuesday, 4/11 (I caught it this morning and was very impressed).
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#2 Dennis

Dennis

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 895 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Open Water II, & Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 10 April 2006 - 06:46 AM

Nicolle,

Thanks for the synopsis. The first show was pretty nice. I'll probably watch them all, especially since they are right before Lost.
DSSW,
Dennis
"Suppose you were an idiot ... And suppose you were a member of Congress ... But I repeat myself." --Mark Twain

#3 drbill

drbill

I spend too much time on line

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 10 April 2006 - 10:50 AM

I think the first episode was pretty interesting. Of course I prefer more U/W footage than the topside story, but it was all relevant. My only concern was the sponsorship by Dow Chemical. I guess we all have to seek out funding where it is available. Maybe I should approach them for a grant!

#4 Capn Jack

Capn Jack

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts
  • Board Status:Working to fund the next trip
  • Cert Level:YMCA in 65, dove till 79, returned in 2002... now will work for air and/or beer as a DM
  • Logged Dives:not enough

Posted 10 April 2006 - 11:22 AM

I have to ask - what was with the 3 tank rig? Looked like a single valve on the manifold, so I'm not sure what the benefit is from safety or weight? The little shield was cute, but would that amount of streamlining be that beneficial?
No aquarium, no tank in a marine land, however spacious it may be, can begin to duplicate the conditions of the sea. And no dolphin who inhabits one of those aquariums or one of those marine lands can be considered normal.
Jacques Yves Cousteau

#5 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic

Posted 10 April 2006 - 01:07 PM

I don't know the answers to that - but I always find the ocean blue wetsuits interesting....:P I did see half the dive team was diving with inspiration rebreathers and HMS Explorer dive computers.
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#6 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 08:03 PM

They've used three tank set-ups like that for years. When I worked with them in the mid-80's on the TBCS series they had a cover that went over them which made the tanks look like a rebreather setup. They also dove with silver wetsuits back then.

#7 Capn Jack

Capn Jack

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts
  • Cert Level:YMCA in 65, dove till 79, returned in 2002... now will work for air and/or beer as a DM

Posted 10 April 2006 - 08:59 PM

They've used three tank set-ups like that for years. When I worked with them in the mid-80's on the TBCS series they had a cover that went over them which made the tanks look like a rebreather setup. They also dove with silver wetsuits back then.

Thanks Dr Bill, during your time with them, did you hear or learn what the rationale is? I'm still curious - I would think there must be a reason behind the setup - there is so much about the universe of diving that I don't know - this has piqued my interest. Alll I can think of right now is a slightly thinner profile, and with the cover in place some reduction of snaggable points plus less parasitic drag,
No aquarium, no tank in a marine land, however spacious it may be, can begin to duplicate the conditions of the sea. And no dolphin who inhabits one of those aquariums or one of those marine lands can be considered normal.
Jacques Yves Cousteau

#8 scubafanatic

scubafanatic

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 421 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Advanced Nitrox and Deco Procedures, Cavern
  • Logged Dives:250

Posted 10 April 2006 - 10:12 PM

...yeah, it was wierd, half the team used hi-tech gear (rebreathers/ etc.) the other half used the same gear configuration as they used in the 60's ( that triple manifold with 3 thin tanks) , no BCD's, not sure I even saw consoles/SPGs! as usual, the French do things their own way.

...that triple manifold supposedly streamlines their profile......but the manifold isn't the 'modern' isolation style, so there's no added safety factor to using 'their' manifold.....but again, back in the 60's this was a normal/accepted technology.

Karl

#9 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts

Posted 10 April 2006 - 11:58 PM

Just got a reply back from Dr. Richard Murphy, Director of Science and Education for Ocean Futures. I may not have been clear in my question because he replied that the triple tank set-ups were actually rebreathers. I thought the ones they used in the special were open circuit but will ask for a clarification just in case.

Thinking back to a dive Dick, Jean-Michel and I did in the northern Channel Islands (Santa Cruz) about 17 years ago. Dick loaned me his son's wetsuit and I put it on backwards! Wasn't used to rear zippers at the time, all mine were front zippers.

#10 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts

Posted 11 April 2006 - 11:27 PM

Oops drbill - I just noticed the post you previously made reagding this series - you have much more direct connection than I do!! :teeth: Click to read drbill's post!

As usual drbill - :lmao:

#11 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts

Posted 12 April 2006 - 12:35 AM

Oops drbill - I just noticed the post you previously made reagding this series - you have much more direct connection than I do!! :teeth: Click to read drbill's post!

As usual drbill - :lmao:

Yep, I guess I'm still considered part of the "family..." probably one of the black sheep, of course.

No sweat with your thread... the more that see one of ours, the more who may watch it.

#12 Capn Jack

Capn Jack

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts

Posted 12 April 2006 - 08:30 AM

No sweat with your thread... the more that see one of ours, the more who may watch it.

Episode I is on again tonight on our local (D/FW - KERA) PBS channel. No idea when episode II will air. :lmao:
Jacques Yves Cousteau

#13 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts

Posted 13 April 2006 - 11:29 AM

I caught Voyage to Kure II last night on PBS. Yet again another excellent episode. There was an intense scene on a night dive where the current was just ripping. Open ocean diving can be so intense! Then there was another scene where the divers went down to 180+' (their max planned depth was 198', a 1.5 as they said). The visibility was incredible! It's nice to watch an informational show that talks about protecting the oceans and has decent diving going on as well. Somehow I don't think 6 episodes will be enough for me. Looks like I'll have to pack up and go join a research vessel!

#14 Capn Jack

Capn Jack

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts

Posted 13 April 2006 - 11:46 AM

I caught Voyage to Kure II last night on PBS.

arrrgh - me looked at the listing, and thought it was v1 again. Damn their black hearts & me incompetent eyes.
Jacques Yves Cousteau

#15 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts

Posted 13 April 2006 - 12:04 PM

Watched episode two last night and liked it better than episode one (which I also liked). Had to tape it since the guy who replaced me at the Conservancy was giving a talk on his work in Costa Rica and Florida which was live and interesting.

While I still would enjoy more underwater footage, I thought the topside segments (especially Laysan and Midway) made important points about protecting both the terrestrial and the marine environments.

It was fun to see old friends like JMC, Nan, Don, Ed and others do their thing. I just wish they'd extend an invitation to this old fart to join them again. I guess with folks like Holly and Mike they are looking to draw a younger crowd as well. Gee, I still attract some of the twenty- and thirty-somethings (but prefer the generally higher maturity of those closer to my age)!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users