• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Closed Circuit Rebreather

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#16 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 16 July 2006 - 06:44 PM

Yea Devilgas, who are ya? Not that many TDI/IANTD CCR instructors around...

#17 webhead

webhead

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 85 posts
  • Cert Level:CCR Air Instructor/ Full Trimix CCR Diver
  • Logged Dives:Stopped counting after 500

Posted 16 July 2006 - 08:28 PM

He is a member of http://www.virginiascuba.com/ and teaches the Inspiration/Evo.

Peter, I didn't know Virginia was down the road from Belize.....

If you are going to dive deep a lot, can afford it and can handle the occasional other diver that will treat you like Orville Wright in 1906 (saying you're crazy or suicidal or both) then I recommend a CCR. I learned Trimix on open circuit and also learned that I can barely stand up carrying 150 lbs of gear. And that didn't get me very deep. Yes, I like to breath gas like it is free. I would have learned on a CCR initially but at the time, CCRs where going through a "change over". Since then, I have been trained on 3 units, test and/or "dove" 3 other units and think that they are the best way to dive.

I wouldn't sell a rebreather based on less deco. While I've not seen deco on a CCR be more than similar OC dives, I've seen many OC divers that have the same or very nearly the same (i.e. within 5 minutes.) deco. In fact, during my trimix CCR, there were 4 OC students and they dove the same profile as us and we all exited the water within 20 minutes of each other.

What I would sell the rebreather on is that I can stay underwater at 80 feet for 4-5 hours. I can also stay at 300 feet for 4-5 hours using the same gear/gas quantities. And I don't have to swap regs on ascent or descent. I really don't do much of anything different on a CCR dive - just maintain minimum loop volume while at constant depth and watch the PO2. And even with appropriate bailout (OC gas carried in case of emergency ascent with full deco from the deepest/longest part of the dive), the gear doesn't go over 100 lbs.

There are classes you can take with a single on your back to learn the process of "virtual overhead" diving. And I'd be happy to explain/discuss in more detail. And I'm sure there are a lot of other divers here that can share their experiences as well. So you can start your training without having to make a decision on what to buy or which way to go (OC or CCR/SCR).

So for anyone interested in deep/deco/tek diving, go for it. If you never dive deco/deep again after the class, it will teach you more about diving than any other scuba class (yes, there is math involved). And remember that the deck of the Oriskany is at 135 feet.
"These are not the droids you are looking for.... move along" - Obi-Wan Kenobi

#18 peterbj7

peterbj7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:over 4000

Posted 17 July 2006 - 05:17 PM

My mistake! - I saw mention of Cozumel and didn't read fully. I suppose Virginia isn't quite "just up the road" from here.

#19 webhead

webhead

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 85 posts
  • Cert Level:CCR Air Instructor/ Full Trimix CCR Diver
  • Logged Dives:Stopped counting after 500

Posted 17 July 2006 - 08:06 PM

Makes sense now.

I know there are a few rebreather events going on around the Carribean that include instruction. Wasn't sure if you are looking to learn or wanting a nearby store to visit and chat. Or looking for someone nearby with similar dive interests....
"These are not the droids you are looking for.... move along" - Obi-Wan Kenobi

#20 BradfordNC

BradfordNC

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts
  • Cert Level:certifi-what?
  • Logged Dives:2 and 1/2

Posted 17 July 2006 - 08:24 PM

My mistake! - I saw mention of Cozumel and didn't read fully. I suppose Virginia isn't quite "just up the road" from here.

short swim away :banghead:
OK, lets make a deal. If you stop telling me how to dive, I'll stop going down to the bus station at 2am to slap d***s out of your mouth.

#21 6Gill

6Gill

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 17 July 2006 - 08:26 PM

short swim away :banghead:

Well on the map I looked at it was about 2inches away...

#22 BradfordNC

BradfordNC

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts
  • Cert Level:certifi-what?
  • Logged Dives:2 and 1/2

Posted 17 July 2006 - 08:42 PM

Well on the map I looked at it was about 2inches away...

:banghead: :P :lmao: :lmao:
OK, lets make a deal. If you stop telling me how to dive, I'll stop going down to the bus station at 2am to slap d***s out of your mouth.

#23 peterbj7

peterbj7

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,068 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:over 4000

Posted 30 July 2006 - 08:45 PM

Makes sense now.

I know there are a few rebreather events going on around the Carribean that include instruction. Wasn't sure if you are looking to learn or wanting a nearby store to visit and chat. Or looking for someone nearby with similar dive interests....

The last really.

#24 cavediver2

cavediver2

Getting started

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Cert Level:Course Director
  • Logged Dives:3570

Posted 30 July 2006 - 11:09 PM

Is it better to learn deep diving on open curcuit, aka scuba, or on a rebreather?

Ok, to further clarify...I want to dive deep, deeper than recreational limits

so, how should I do this?

Should I learn Advanced Nitrox, Extended Range, and any of the various trimix courses and then switch to a rebreather?

or should I take a rebreather class and then learn the really deep diving aspect?

Hi!
I teach both open circuit and closed circuit students at the hypopxic trimix level. If I have students who are considering rebreathers for this type of diving, then I generally push them in that direction. Rebreathers are MUCH more efficient with regards to gas usage (I can get two 250 fsw dives from a single cylinder of mix on a rebreather, including deco, and use maybe 10 cf of helium for about $5, versus over $100 for the same O/C dives), and also offer many more options for dealing with many emergencies.

Of course, rebreathers also have more failure modes associated with them.

Like anything, the choice becomes a trade off of relative risk versus benefit assessment.

One of the biggest downsides is that if you switch from O/C to CCRs, you will probably need to spend most of a year before you begin your deep training. Standards mandate 50 hours on the rebreather before you do advanced training. I generally suggest 50-100 hours, depending on the person and skill levels.

I am currently finishing a manuscript on using rebreathers for this type of diving (essentially a Volume 2 to my Mastering Rebreathers text), but it won't be in publication for a bit yet.

Many of the units on the market are appropriate. I would look at the Inspiration or Evolution with the Vision electronics, the PRISM Topaz, (both of which I train on), or the Megalodon (which I do not). The Ouroborous is used deep, but is quite pricey. I will be diving on the Titan next week, which is set up for Trimix diving, but as I have not used it yet am withholding comment until I have first hand experience.

Please feel free to write or call me directly if you'd like to discuss this further. (Offer open to all interested parties).

Regards,
Jeff Bozanic
714-775-4462

#25 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 30 July 2006 - 11:18 PM

Jeff,

Welcome to the board. Drop me a PM if you get a chance. I'm a friend of Stanton's. We were just talking about you the other week!

#26 cavediver2

cavediver2

Getting started

• Pip
  • 4 posts
  • Cert Level:Course Director
  • Logged Dives:3570

Posted 30 July 2006 - 11:42 PM

Jeff,

Welcome to the board. Drop me a PM if you get a chance. I'm a friend of Stanton's. We were just talking about you the other week!

Would love to, but keep getting an error msg that says I cannot use PM. Have requested help.
Tell Gregg I said hello.
Jeff

#27 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts
  • Cert Level:Course Director; CCR Instructor
  • Logged Dives:2000+

Posted 31 July 2006 - 07:21 AM

I would look at the Inspiration or Evolution with the Vision electronics, the PRISM Topaz, (both of which I train on), or the Megalodon (which I do not). The Ouroborous is used deep, but is quite pricey. I will be diving on the Titan next week, which is set up for Trimix diving, but as I have not used it yet am withholding comment until I have first hand experience.

Didst though not forget to mention at least one other candidate for this list? :P
"The most important thing is not to stop questioning." Albert Einstein

"For the diligent diver, closed circuit rebreathers are actually safer than open circuit scuba." Tom Mount

#28 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 31 July 2006 - 07:59 AM

Didst though not forget to mention at least one other candidate for this list? :D

Yes he did!

The KISS Classic (or sport) is an exceptional unit!

:P

#29 Scubatooth

Scubatooth

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,682 posts
  • Board Status:Omnes Qui Errant Non Pereunt!
  • Cert Level:Rec: DM -- Tec: Ext Range
  • Logged Dives:500+

Posted 31 July 2006 - 08:07 AM

:D

naw i think SDM had the fallaron(sp?) CCR on his mind, but i could be wrong

A Novus Dies Has Adveho.... Occupo Dies

Where in the World is Tooth? ... Catch Me It You Can!

Traveling the World, Diving, and Photography, on my days off from saving lives as a Paramedic

#30 seafox

seafox

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 81 posts
  • Cert Level:Inst for : Recreational, Technical and Closed Circuit Rebreather Instructor, I never stop learning!
  • Logged Dives:4000+

Posted 31 July 2006 - 08:13 AM

:D

naw i think SDM had the fallaron(sp?) CCR on his mind, but i could be wrong

Actually, Faralon only builds the head. The CCR is "Dive Rite 02ptima" or commonly called Optima!
Protect the SHARKS!

Excellence is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, skillful execution and the vision to see obstacles as opportunities.

Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first, the lesson afterwards!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users