• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Philippines???

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#1 Travelnsj

Travelnsj

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 16 April 2006 - 12:55 PM

:D I am checking out the Philippines. I have always heard you can dive there for about ½ the price of anywhere else in the world. I have also heard it is the Macro capital of the world better than PNG….But not much big stuff…..I recently found out about Cebu, the Thresher Sharks and Pelagics in that area.

Has anyone been to the Philippines? If you have any info please share….

Edited by Travelnsj, 16 April 2006 - 02:02 PM.

You must endeavor to pursue!

#2 Marina

Marina

Getting started

• Pip
  • 21 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced Open Water, Nitrox certified
  • Logged Dives:80+

Posted 16 April 2006 - 04:35 PM

:D I am checking out the Philippines. I have always heard you can dive there for about ½ the price of anywhere else in the world. I have also heard it is the Macro capital of the world better than PNG….But not much big stuff…..I recently found out about Cebu, the Thresher Sharks and Pelagics in that area.

Has anyone been to the Philippines? If you have any info please share….

Hey there. I grew up in Manila, Philippines (but i'm now in San Jose, CA). But have dove there only once (7 dives in 2 1/2days) because I only got certified two years ago. I went to Puerto Galera, Mindoro as this was one of the places closest to Manila.. was running out of time so I didn't go to farther place..... I hooked up with Coco Beach Island Resort... Yes.. My dives were really cheap. I did the dives in May 2005 and I only spent around $160 for the 7 dives (w/ one night dive) and guided by divemaster. I couldn't believe it... I was spending $50 everytime I go to a boat dive in Guam.. But w/ Coco Beach, I only had to spend less than that and the dives are a lot lot lot better than dives in Guam.... dives are really colorful, nice corals, plenty of small fish, I also saw a huge turtle, bigger than a human size.. .. it's really like a paradise! I just loved my dives there! And this was only in Puerto Galera, I heard from other divers who have dove in other part of Philippines like Boracay and Palawan. I'm sure these places are also good or even better.... I love my dives in Philippines a lot better than my Guam dives.... I'm actually scheduled for Christmas vacation this year and would definitely do some dives in Bohol (also part of Philippines) when I come to visit my family in Manila. (Bohol is maybe 45mins-airtime from Manila). Then, I'm looking at going probably to Cairns, Australia, right after New Year, after my vacation w/ family. I'm still searching though.. Trying to find a good deal and a buddy to go dive with.

Let me know if you need a contact person for dives in Philippines. I know someone from Guam who has done dives in Boracay. She has contacts with some of the dive shops there. Maybe she can help...... (I only found through internet about Coco Beach Resort... it wasn't really a dive resort... but I enjoyed the place.. and my dives were excellent....)

#3 drbill

drbill

I spend too much time on line

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 16 April 2006 - 06:16 PM

As you might have guessed, Scott, I have a diving contact in Manilla. Mari is an infrequent diver but a "fellow" video producer.

Marina's mention of Boracay, Palawan and Bohol ring bells from my chats with divers there. PM me and I'll give you a lead.

Of course if you really insist on doing all this erotic (er, I mean exotic) diving, we need to see more dive reports from ya! By the way, temps in the dive park are up to 59 F. Is that warm enough yet?

#4 Travelnsj

Travelnsj

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 16 April 2006 - 06:37 PM

:D Bill...I was wondering when you were going to Chime in on this.... :lmao: .....59 degrees...you gotta be kidding...I never go anywhere the outside temp gets that cold :) ...but if you can find out any info on the big stuff...The only place I have found is the Cebu area...any info is appreciated....I'd post trip reports but the last one from my March Palau trip disappeared or was yanked :huh:

:) Marina...Thanks for the info....I have heard of the Puerto Galera area but again smaller stuff. Until I ran across the Cebu area I did not know the Philippines had much of any of the big stuff...and if you have a contact please post more info especially on the Pelagics....I think this is a 2007 trip since 2006 is booked :) ...Also i posted some info for you on your Australia thread....thanks again...

#5 born2dive67

born2dive67

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 52 posts
  • Cert Level:open water, deep water, nitrox
  • Logged Dives:14 mostly class dives with 3 fun dives

Posted 26 June 2006 - 08:18 AM

I have been to Boracay Ph, and there are many sites mostly corals, mostly small fish, but they do have large fish areas as well but the chances of seein the sharks are slim. Did see a small nurse shark asleep umder a table coral, and a grey reff shark that was 1-1.5 meters roughly, I was about 15m away in water with 20m vis. So yes size might be off a bit but I could definetly see it. Each dive was 30 dollars standard whether using your own equipment or theirs, regular air or nitrox. 30 dollar flat fee.

#6 born2dive67

born2dive67

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 26 June 2006 - 08:24 AM

p.s. I forgot plenty of walls a few small caves. one wreck that they put there themselves, I guess mainly for class purposes but it does atract different fish than I saw by most corals. There were also about 6 other dive shops on the island and thay all probably have a few select places of their own as I saw many divers going out but never seen anywhere I was.

Attached Images

• resize2.jpg

#7 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts

Posted 26 June 2006 - 09:04 AM

Scott... there is a possibility I may take a trip there next year. I know someone who may serve as a guide if things workout. Have you given any further thought to this? Did you see anything relevant at the Scuba Show (sorry I missed it but, as you know, it is hardly an impulse trip when you're out on the island).

#8 Diverbrian

Diverbrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI DiveCon/IANTD Normoxic Trimix.....
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 26 June 2006 - 09:58 AM

:banghead: Bill...I was wondering when you were going to Chime in on this.... :P .....59 degrees...you gotta be kidding...I never go anywhere the outside temp gets that cold :dance: ...but if you can find out any info on the big stuff...The only place I have found is the Cebu area...any info is appreciated....I'd post trip reports but the last one from my March Palau trip disappeared or was yanked :P

:-D Marina...Thanks for the info....I have heard of the Puerto Galera area but again smaller stuff. Until I ran across the Cebu area I did not know the Philippines had much of any of the big stuff...and if you have a contact please post more info especially on the Pelagics....I think this is a 2007 trip since 2006 is booked :D ...Also i posted some info for you on your Australia thread....thanks again...

I believe that the posts from the board disappeared when we moved servers. I think that it was five days of posts. I know we (the Moderators) didn't pull your trip report and wouldn't do so for any reason without notifying the orginal person posting the trip report.

I lost a few good posts myself in that transition :dance: . Trip reports are always more than welcome here :) .
A person should be judged in this life not by the mistakes that they make nor by the number of them. Rather they are to be judged by their recovery from them.

#9 cmt489

cmt489

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,346 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:75+

Posted 26 June 2006 - 10:09 AM

I have only dived in Boracay. My dad has dived in some other areas in the Phillippines as well. He keeps going back to Boracy which, IMO, you have to love for the diving AND the island - it is one of my favorite places on earth to holiday. Big fish and schools can be seen when diving Yapak. As pointed out, many of the other sites do have the smaller fish but the experience is amazing. You can also do trips that require you to camp out overnight on another island. All in all, I highly recommend it!

#10 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 12:19 AM

What of the reports of kidnappings and beheadings of American tourists in the Philippines? Is this a threat only in certain parts of the country? How real a threat is it?

Much as I would love to go there... I wouldn't want to lose my head on a dive trip. I try to return with all my body parts and equipment whenever possible!

#11 born2dive67

born2dive67

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 07:00 AM

The areas to avoid because of terrorist activities is the southern island along its southern and western portions, if I remember that correctly from the US federal travel site. They strongly advise avoiding those areas and say if you have to go there at least have a buddy. The Army had no problems with me taking my R&R totally alone in the middle region of the PH.

#12 Travelnsj

Travelnsj

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 27 June 2006 - 02:53 PM

What of the reports of kidnappings and beheadings of American tourists in the Philippines? Is this a threat only in certain parts of the country? How real a threat is it?

Much as I would love to go there... I wouldn't want to lose my head on a dive trip. I try to return with all my body parts and equipment whenever possible!

:P Bill...That is only in the Mindanao (southern) area....Most Filipinos...do not like to go down there...That is where they struck Sipadan from, back in 2001.

The areas I am looking at are Mindoro and Cebu....At the show I spoke with someone who was representing Mindoro...You have combination land based and Livaboard that goes to an Island like Sipadan...since I am still not fond of my 10 days in Sipadan...I questioned the guy about reliable sightings of big stuff.....He did agree Cebu....is consistantly better...So that is where I am looking.

Michele,
Thanks for the Boracay info. I have looked at that area....small stuff....I like the sharks in my face :cool2: !

Many people do not realize how great the Philippines can be...it is as good as PNG and cheaper....because of the radicals in the south...scares off people....In fact Keith who I dive with in Palau loved the Philippines so much...he may go with me next Sept :)

#13 born2dive67

born2dive67

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 03 July 2006 - 05:34 AM

http://www.malapascu.../DiveSites.html

This looked like the most promising and coolest place to dive out of. take a gander and let me know what you think

#14 Travelnsj

Travelnsj

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 03 July 2006 - 08:41 AM

http://www.malapascu.../DiveSites.html

This looked like the most promising and coolest place to dive out of. take a gander and let me know what you think

:D This is the site I gave to fingrabber a couple of months ago...I have e-mailed them a couple of times got some good info about the area...all has been passed on to the powers to be...hopefully SD will put a trip...together...or they will read my trip report again...LOL

#15 Travelnsj

Travelnsj

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 535 posts

Posted 13 September 2006 - 10:34 AM

:fish2: Well I think I have made my decision! Going to do Malapascua Island stay and dive with Exotic.... Just talked with someone on another board and he has just gotten back from 3 weeks diving in a few different areas and Malapascua was his favorite for the Big and Small stuff.....He saw Threshers, Mantas, Seahorses etc. every day when he dove at the Monad Shoal dive site....He said the Weather was perfect :fish2: ........September 2007....I'll be there....any chance SD will put a trip together?....World class diving at about half the price! :fish:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users