• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Survival At Sea

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts
  • Cert Level:Course Director; CCR Instructor
  • Logged Dives:2000+

Posted 18 April 2006 - 05:19 PM

Halcyon makes a diver's life raft. http://www.halcyon.net/mc/dlr.shtml. While the concept is great, it is a big honker.

Though Halcyon claims that the diver can store it in the MC Storage Pack over the backplate, I felt like the Hunchback of Notre Dame when I tried to put it there. So, I tried endless ways to think of how I could carry this thing on my open ocean dives.

Score another victory for the Optima CCR. :birthday: The raft fits perfectly inside the cover, laying over the tanks. I am now adding this to my survival at sea arsenal.
"The most important thing is not to stop questioning." Albert Einstein

"For the diligent diver, closed circuit rebreathers are actually safer than open circuit scuba." Tom Mount

#2 Latitude Adjustment

Latitude Adjustment

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts
  • Cert Level:EanX
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 18 April 2006 - 05:28 PM

Howard, have you tried getting into that raft? We had to practice with one in a pool and it's a bear to get into, I just can't imagine doing it in rough seas. As a survival tool it's better at catching rain water or shelter from the sun.
I, Latitude Adjustment (insert log in name), do hereby swear, (politely), that I shall not hold SingleDivers, (SD), nor any SD poster, (real or imagined), liable, nor shall I seek legal restitution, (real or imagined), for any perceived, (real or imagined), offenses I may incur, (or Incurrrrrrrrrr on talk like a pirate day), that may or may not be posted on this or any SCUBA related board, (real or imagined), by anyone, (real or imagined), anywhere, (real or imagined). Further, I void any right to privacy, (real or imagined), as it may, or may not relate to any posting, (real or imagined), about me, to me, for me, because of me, all about me, my dog, my cat, my bird, my monkey, my family, (real or imagined), my friends, (real or imagined), or my world, (real or imagined).

By all that is wet, I do hereby swear, (politely), and attest, upon pain of never diving again, (real or imagined), that I understand and affirm, that I agree to the above.

_________________________________________(log in name signature)
Signed and Dated

#3 Basslet

Basslet

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts
  • Cert Level:OW
  • Logged Dives:150

Posted 18 April 2006 - 05:46 PM

Howard, have you tried getting into that raft? We had to practice with one in a pool and it's a bear to get into, I just can't imagine doing it in rough seas. As a survival tool it's better at catching rain water or shelter from the sun.

Better get two then. :birthday:

#4 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts

Posted 18 April 2006 - 06:49 PM

Somehow, if I am alone at sea, miles from anyone, in the dark, I think I will be motivated enough to get into it. :birthday:

I used to be a surfer. I can't imagine it being harder to stay on than a surf board. Of course, I will take off my gear first and tie that off to it. :birthday:

"For the diligent diver, closed circuit rebreathers are actually safer than open circuit scuba." Tom Mount

#5 6Gill

6Gill

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 18 April 2006 - 10:47 PM

Can you get that with an outboard motor?I'd hate to think you'd have to padle

#6 captsteve

captsteve

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 509 posts
  • Cert Level:aow/nitrox
  • Logged Dives:absolutly no idea

Posted 19 April 2006 - 07:14 AM

Can you get that with an outboard motor?I'd hate to think you'd have to padle

Make sure to get a four stroke so you can afford the gas :P

#7 ScubaGypsy

ScubaGypsy

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 267 posts
  • Cert Level:DM
  • Logged Dives:1500+

Posted 19 April 2006 - 08:54 AM

Halcyon makes a diver's life raft. http://www.halcyon.net/mc/dlr.shtml. While the concept is great, it is a big honker.

Though Halcyon claims that the diver can store it in the MC Storage Pack over the backplate, I felt like the Hunchback of Notre Dame when I tried to put it there. So, I tried endless ways to think of how I could carry this thing on my open ocean dives.

Score another victory for the Optima CCR. :P The raft fits perfectly inside the cover, laying over the tanks. I am now adding this to my survival at sea arsenal.

I too bought this behemoth with the hope that it would fit in my MC storage pack over the backplate while I was out diving with my boys. As stated, I too found it too bulky for such placement and thus ordered their optional external storage pack that will allow placement underneath the backplate. Still it is far from ideal but better than over the backplate although I must also admit that I have still never used it. Hmmm, so perhaps this might be another excuse for a rebreather............. :D
The sea is everything........Its breath is pure and healthy. It is an immense desert, where man is never lonely, for he feels life stirring on all sides. The sea is only the embodiment of a supernatural and wonderful existence. It is nothing but love and emotion; it is the 'Living Infinite,' ..........

Capt. Nemo...........20,000 Leagues under the Sea

#8 BradfordNC

BradfordNC

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts
  • Cert Level:certifi-what?
  • Logged Dives:2 and 1/2

Posted 19 April 2006 - 09:28 AM

Somehow, if I am alone at sea, miles from anyone, in the dark, I think I will be motivated enough to get into it. :P

I used to be a surfer. I can't imagine it being harder to stay on than a surf board. Of course, I will take off my gear first and tie that off to it. :D

somehow, i think that if you do end up in the survival situation your gear, no matter how expensive, will be the least of your worries. it won't help you survive. to tie it off to the raft might help it capsize with every large wave. but it might help stabilize it. might be something to experiment with.
OK, lets make a deal. If you stop telling me how to dive, I'll stop going down to the bus station at 2am to slap d***s out of your mouth.

#9 Capn Jack

Capn Jack

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts
  • Board Status:Working to fund the next trip
  • Cert Level:YMCA in 65, dove till 79, returned in 2002... now will work for air and/or beer as a DM
  • Logged Dives:not enough

Posted 19 April 2006 - 10:35 AM

If you're contemplating many hours in the water before being rescued - a raft could definitely make the difference - getting your little bod out of that rather large heat sink. Even moderately cool waters can run you hypothermic pretty quick.

I'd say if you're concerned about this happening to you, you should also be carrying flares. A small raft on the surface is REALLY hard to find, especially at night. Have you looked at EPIRBs ? I don't know anyone who has one, or how well they'd survive a dive - although I've seen containers that supposedly will protect them.

Edited by Capn Jack, 19 April 2006 - 10:36 AM.

No aquarium, no tank in a marine land, however spacious it may be, can begin to duplicate the conditions of the sea. And no dolphin who inhabits one of those aquariums or one of those marine lands can be considered normal.
Jacques Yves Cousteau

#10 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 10:46 AM

You can get watches with EPIRBs. Not sure how strong the signal is though. I'd want some marker dyes if I was planning on taking a raft with me. a LOT easier to spot from the air.

#11 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 11:21 AM

If you're contemplating many hours in the water before being rescued - a raft could definitely make the difference - getting your little bod out of that rather large heat sink. Even moderately cool waters can run you hypothermic pretty quick.

I'd say if you're concerned about this happening to you, you should also be carrying flares. A small raft on the surface is REALLY hard to find, especially at night. Have you looked at EPIRBs ? I don't know anyone who has one, or how well they'd survive a dive - although I've seen containers that supposedly will protect them.

I am already totally set. I carry an EPIRB with a built in GPS, a shooting flare in a waterproof (to 600 feet) container, a laser light that goes up to 20 miles for 15 hours (in another waterproof container), a signal mirror, my backup Golem LED lights that will go for over three days, two protein bars, a Dive Alert air horn, and over 16 ounces of fresh water. I can put one of my lift bags over my head like a sun bonnet to protect against exposure, and I already dive dry (so, I would likely not have a problem with hypothermia).

Any questions? :P

#12 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 11:25 AM

I'd want some marker dyes if I was planning on taking a raft with me. a LOT easier to spot from the air.

Surprisingly, studies have shown that the dye markers are fairly ineffective except in perfect conditions. Not that there is anything wrong with carrying some as an extra protection. However, I would't rely on it for being more than the icing on the cake.

#13 Geek

Geek

• PipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue, Adv. Nitrox/Deco Procedures
  • Logged Dives:130+

Posted 19 April 2006 - 06:17 PM

Since we are on the topic of being lost at sea, anyone ever seen or considered one of these?

http://www.seamarsha....com/diver.html

#14 Geek

Geek

• PipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue, Adv. Nitrox/Deco Procedures
  • Logged Dives:130+

Posted 19 April 2006 - 06:40 PM

Score another victory for the Optima CCR. :P The raft fits perfectly inside the cover, laying over the tanks. I am now adding this to my survival at sea arsenal.

I too bought this behemoth with the hope that it would fit in my MC storage pack over the backplate while I was out diving with my boys. As stated, I too found it too bulky for such placement and thus ordered their optional external storage pack that will allow placement underneath the backplate. Still it is far from ideal but better than over the backplate although I must also admit that I have still never used it. Hmmm, so perhaps this might be another excuse for a rebreather............. :wakawaka:

Can you provide a link to illustrate the "optional external storage pack"? or is that the package shown in the original link? That looks like it would just flop around.

Thanks

#15 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts

Posted 19 April 2006 - 07:21 PM

I too bought this behemoth with the hope that it would fit in my MC storage pack over the backplate while I was out diving with my boys. As stated, I too found it too bulky for such placement and thus ordered their optional external storage pack that will allow placement underneath the backplate. Still it is far from ideal but better than over the backplate although I must also admit that I have still never used it. Hmmm, so perhaps this might be another excuse for a rebreather............. :wakawaka:

Can you provide a link to illustrate the "optional external storage pack"? or is that the package shown in the original link? That looks like it would just flop around.

Thanks

Yes, it is the same. Once you have it in the external storage pack, you still have to find someplace to put that. I wouldn't want that thing flapping around behind me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users