• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Jellyfish Stings - it's that time of year

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 24 April 2006 - 02:31 PM

I’m headed to the Bahamas here shortly and one of the things I always prepare myself for around this time of year – jellyfish stings. If you have certain stinging critters in area you dive and ways to prevent getting stung, please share!

Jellyfish and Stings

Jellyfish injuries occur when people accidentally come into direct contact with jellyfish tentacles. The stinging structures on the tentacles are called nematocysts, which are spring-loaded venom glands that contain small, hollow, sharp tubes. The tubes release toxin. The nematocysts are triggered by direct physical contact or abrupt changes in osmolarity (such as exposure to fresh water). When exposed skin comes into contact with a jellyfish, poison is injected into the outermost layers, causing the toxic reaction of a typical sting. Some types of jellyfish, especially the box jellyfish and the Portuguese man-of-war, cause stings that are more toxic than others.

Jellyfish are invertebrate marine animals. There are nearly 9,000 species of jellyfish, which can be broken down into 3 main classes:
  • The hydrozoans include feathery hydroids, fire coral, and the Portuguese man-of-war
  • True jellyfish (scyphozoans) are the most common species of jellyfish in North America. As a rule, their stings are considerably less toxic than the hydrozoans and are usually limited to eruptions of the skin where contact took place. The box jellyfish, however, is an exception.
  • Sea anemones and corals (anthozoans) are also related to jellyfish but are usually minimally poisonous.
Jellyfish Sting Symptoms
Skin reactions
  • Most jellyfish stings result in a painful, raised, red rash that itches, usually limited to the area of direct contact.
  • Lesions can last for days to weeks. Severe stings can result in skin sloughing (peeling off) and deep wounds.
  • Sometimes, an allergic reaction can occur in response to the initial sting, which can lead to swelling and further inflammation of the skin.
  • The thimble jellyfish, can release eggs that can lodge within swimwear (sometimes referred to as “sea lice”). A rash occurs on the skin under the swimwear and usually develops during the first 24 hours and lasts for up to 5 days.
Generalized reactions
  • Rarely, severe jellyfish stings can cause weakness, headaches, vomiting, muscle spasms, fevers and chills, and difficulty with breathing, and even shock.
  • Stings from the box jellyfish of Australia have been known to cause sudden death.
Jellyfish Stings Treatment
  • Remove the victim from the water.
  • Rinse the affected area with salt water or don’t rinse it at all. Do not rinse the involved area of skin with fresh water, because it will further activate nematocysts and worsen the reaction. [rinsing with fresh water is one of the most common mistakes made by divers]
  • Using protective gloves or forceps, remove any tentacles still in contact with the victim. Tentacles should be lifted off the skin (don't scrape them off -- this causes further stings)
  • Apply acetic acid 5% (white vinegar). This will inactivate undischarged nematocysts and the toxin and will help to decrease symptoms.
  • Symptoms of pain can be treated with topical anesthetics such as those generally contained in sunburn preparations
  • Immobilize the area that was poisoned to prevent further spread.
  • If the victim appears ill, revert to primary and secondary emergency care and call EMS.
Jellyfish Sting Prevention
  • Wear exposure protection – full length wetsuits or lycras are recommended.
  • Cover all areas of skin not covered by an exposure suit with a healthy layer of waterproof sunscreen – this will create a better-than-nothing layer between your skin and nematocysts.
  • Avoid passing through surface debris, such as seaweed or leaves that may be harboring jellyfish.
  • PAY ATTENTION to your surroundings – move if you see what appears to be “fishing line” in the water, it could be tentacles from a jellyfish out of your direct view
  • DON’T TOUCH – jellyfish, corals, and sea anemones really aren’t on the attack!

It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#2 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts
  • Cert Level:Course Director; CCR Instructor
  • Logged Dives:2000+

Posted 24 April 2006 - 04:48 PM

Where we live, there are thimble jellyfish larvae especially during certain seasons. These are about the size of snow flakes or smaller. So, even the careful diver can leave the water with lots of little stings. They are not severe. However, they can itch for weeks (though treating right after the sting will lessen the duration and intensity).

One of the hot little products I purchased at OceanFest is a sunblock that also claims to be a "jellyfish sting protective lotion." Safe Sea, http://www.nidaria.com/, has been tested extensively, http://scuba-doc.com/safesea.html. According to the manufacturer, "[t]his amazing product is a real breakthrough in Protection gels for protection against the stings of jellyfish, sea nettles, and sea lice. When rubbed liberally on the skin, this lotion protects you from the sting and pain experienced when you make incidental contact with these sea creatures. This is the worlds only lotion developed specifically to protect against ocean stings and is completely waterproof, making it perfect for sunbathers, ocean swimmers, and scuba divers."

I hope I don't have to find out whether this stuff works by personal experience. However, I am going to give it a try, and I have added it to my dive safety kit.
"The most important thing is not to stop questioning." Albert Einstein

"For the diligent diver, closed circuit rebreathers are actually safer than open circuit scuba." Tom Mount

#3 Hipshot

Hipshot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,391 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver/Asst. Instructor
  • Logged Dives:>500

Posted 24 April 2006 - 05:02 PM

The jellyfish that most divers are likely to encounter in the Northeast is the lion's mane jellyfish, Cyanea capillata. In the Arctic, it can grow to a bell diameter of approximately nine feet, making it the largest jellyfish in the oceans.

While a sting from the lion's mane is not generally life-threatening, it will cause pain on contact and leave a rash. The severity of the sting and rash is largely dependent on the area of the body that contacts the tentacles; typically the hands, with their callouses, are generally less sensitive.

The toxin that the lion's mane uses is 5-hydroxy-tryptamine (5HT), otherwise known as serotonin or vasotinin. When 5HT encounters a nerve, it increases sodium permeability across the nerve membrane, which produces the pain. Papain, which is found naturally in the papaya and commercially in Adolph's Meat Tenderizer, breaks down 5HT. For that reason, Adolph's Meat Tenderizer is frequently found in northeastern divers' first aid kits.

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle made the lion's mane jellyfish the subject of one of his works in The Adventure of
the Lion's Mane

Here's a link to more info on the lion's mane jellyfish.

Lion's Mane Jellyfish

Rick
:cool1:

Edited by Hipshot, 24 April 2006 - 05:04 PM.

#4 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic

Posted 24 April 2006 - 05:38 PM

PNW diver are extremely familiar with Lion's Manes as well....
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#5 madlobster

madlobster

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 411 posts
  • Cert Level:rescue diver
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 24 April 2006 - 05:58 PM

I’m headed to the Bahamas here shortly and one of the things I always prepare myself for around this time of year – jellyfish stings. If you have certain stinging critters in area you dive and ways to prevent getting stung, please share!

Jellyfish and Stings

Jellyfish injuries occur when people accidentally come into direct contact with jellyfish tentacles. The stinging structures on the tentacles are called nematocysts, which are spring-loaded venom glands that contain small, hollow, sharp tubes. The tubes release toxin. The nematocysts are triggered by direct physical contact or abrupt changes in osmolarity (such as exposure to fresh water). When exposed skin comes into contact with a jellyfish, poison is injected into the outermost layers, causing the toxic reaction of a typical sting. Some types of jellyfish, especially the box jellyfish and the Portuguese man-of-war, cause stings that are more toxic than others.

Jellyfish are invertebrate marine animals. There are nearly 9,000 species of jellyfish, which can be broken down into 3 main classes:

• The hydrozoans include feathery hydroids, fire coral, and the Portuguese man-of-war
  • True jellyfish (scyphozoans) are the most common species of jellyfish in North America. As a rule, their stings are considerably less toxic than the hydrozoans and are usually limited to eruptions of the skin where contact took place. The box jellyfish, however, is an exception.
  • Sea anemones and corals (anthozoans) are also related to jellyfish but are usually minimally poisonous.
Jellyfish Sting Symptoms
Skin reactions
  • Most jellyfish stings result in a painful, raised, red rash that itches, usually limited to the area of direct contact.
  • Lesions can last for days to weeks. Severe stings can result in skin sloughing (peeling off) and deep wounds.
  • Sometimes, an allergic reaction can occur in response to the initial sting, which can lead to swelling and further inflammation of the skin.
  • The thimble jellyfish, can release eggs that can lodge within swimwear (sometimes referred to as “sea lice”). A rash occurs on the skin under the swimwear and usually develops during the first 24 hours and lasts for up to 5 days.
Generalized reactions
  • Rarely, severe jellyfish stings can cause weakness, headaches, vomiting, muscle spasms, fevers and chills, and difficulty with breathing, and even shock.
  • Stings from the box jellyfish of Australia have been known to cause sudden death.
Jellyfish Stings Treatment
  • Remove the victim from the water.
  • Rinse the affected area with salt water or don’t rinse it at all. Do not rinse the involved area of skin with fresh water, because it will further activate nematocysts and worsen the reaction. [rinsing with fresh water is one of the most common mistakes made by divers]
  • Using protective gloves or forceps, remove any tentacles still in contact with the victim. Tentacles should be lifted off the skin (don't scrape them off -- this causes further stings)
  • Apply acetic acid 5% (white vinegar). This will inactivate undischarged nematocysts and the toxin and will help to decrease symptoms.
  • Symptoms of pain can be treated with topical anesthetics such as those generally contained in sunburn preparations
  • Immobilize the area that was poisoned to prevent further spread.
  • If the victim appears ill, revert to primary and secondary emergency care and call EMS.
Jellyfish Sting Prevention
  • Wear exposure protection – full length wetsuits or lycras are recommended.
  • Cover all areas of skin not covered by an exposure suit with a healthy layer of waterproof sunscreen – this will create a better-than-nothing layer between your skin and nematocysts.
  • Avoid passing through surface debris, such as seaweed or leaves that may be harboring jellyfish.
  • PAY ATTENTION to your surroundings – move if you see what appears to be “fishing line” in the water, it could be tentacles from a jellyfish out of your direct view
  • DON’T TOUCH – jellyfish, corals, and sea anemones really aren’t on the attack!

Thanks Nicolle some very good and important information :cool1:
"The thing about dreams is sometimes you get to live'em out"- Payne Stewart

#6 Hipshot

Hipshot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,391 posts
  • Cert Level:Master Diver/Asst. Instructor
  • Logged Dives:>500

Posted 24 April 2006 - 06:09 PM

PNW diver are extremely familiar with Lion's Manes as well....

That would make sense. They do like cold water.

Rick
:cool1:

#7 blacktar

blacktar

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 159 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI OWSI, Normoxic Trimix, full cave
  • Logged Dives:700

Posted 24 April 2006 - 08:40 PM

I got hit by a man of war last week. Just a little bit on the ankle. Vinegar didn't really help. What made me feel better was the second dive.
BLACKTAR
"The edge... there is no honest way to explain it because the only people who know where it is are those that have gone over." Hunter S. Thompson

#8 6Gill

6Gill

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 24 April 2006 - 09:26 PM

Up here in the PNW heat tends to neutralize the most stings.Due to the water temps up here the only exposed skin are your lips,the some times less than perfect vis makes the tentacles hard to see.If someone gets stung we just have them drink something hot(coffe,tea,hot chocolate,soup) and this has been succesful when we've used it.

#9 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts

Posted 13 June 2006 - 01:36 PM

Where we live, there are thimble jellyfish larvae especially during certain seasons. These are about the size of snow flakes or smaller. So, even the careful diver can leave the water with lots of little stings. They are not severe. However, they can itch for weeks (though treating right after the sting will lessen the duration and intensity).

Well I did get hit a few times here an there this past trip (although considerably less this time) to the Bahamas by those pesky thimble jellyfish larvae aka "sea lice." Apparently the common season for them in the Bahamas is from Mother's Day to about Father's Day. I had considerably less stings this year because I was more cautious this time around using a full wetsuit, waterproof sunscreen, and immediate attending to any stings as soon as I was out of the water!

#10 mantarraya

mantarraya

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 597 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW / Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:>100

Posted 14 June 2006 - 10:13 AM

Not any jellyfish stings yet this year in Galveston, but we are starting to get some crab zoea larvae, microscopic larvae with a sharp long horn that can cause irritation if they concentrate in your bathing suit. Also, saw some baby cownose or bull-nosed rays in the shallow surf areas of the beach in the past couple days - not large numbers like last year as we don't have the coquina population we had last year.
Back after a long absence - whew, too busy at work!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users