• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Proper Weighting

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#16 MNJoe

MNJoe

"Charlie"

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,074 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:450

Posted 05 May 2006 - 07:04 AM

Oh, the ole switch from cold water to warm water, from fresh water to salt water, from wet to dry, aluminum tanks to steel and then back again trick.

I have taken my different wetsuits, hoods, gloves, boots ect... and sunk them so that I know how bouyant they are. And I have know what has worked in the past. So with the weighting data I have collected and knowing what has worked in the past, I can make a fairly good guess as to where to start . Far from a perfect system, but it gives me a place to start that is in the ball park. I have also been known to switch around my weighting and exposure protection just to see what effect that it creates.

MNJoe

"just your average Joe from Minnesota, also known as Keith"

#17 Diverbrian

Diverbrian

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI DiveCon/IANTD Normoxic Trimix.....
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 05 May 2006 - 09:33 AM

Actually, that will be a minor concern for me this summer. I will be in salt water for the first time in a long time (think a couple of years) and I hope that my doubles/backplate will still be negatively buoyant enough to sink me and keep me sunk when I get down to 400 psig without my stage bottles. I will have one layer less of insulation, so that may help in the cause.
A person should be judged in this life not by the mistakes that they make nor by the number of them. Rather they are to be judged by their recovery from them.

#18 Capn Jack

Capn Jack

• Professional
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,994 posts
  • Board Status:Working to fund the next trip
  • Cert Level:YMCA in 65, dove till 79, returned in 2002... now will work for air and/or beer as a DM
  • Logged Dives:not enough

Posted 05 May 2006 - 09:46 AM

I will be in salt water for the first time in a long time

DB - you probably know this, but I'm commenting here for publicity purposes:

For Fresh to Salt water, a rule of thumb I like is take your total weight, including gear and add 1 pound for every 40. e.g. if you and your gear weigh 240#, add 6# of lead for salt water.

Not to change the thread - but where are you going? Do you need a tank sherpa? Remember, I am an orphan, and will work for beer.

Edited by Capn Jack, 05 May 2006 - 09:46 AM.

No aquarium, no tank in a marine land, however spacious it may be, can begin to duplicate the conditions of the sea. And no dolphin who inhabits one of those aquariums or one of those marine lands can be considered normal.
Jacques Yves Cousteau

#19 BubbleBoy

BubbleBoy

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW + Deep, Wreck, Drysuit, Navigation, Night, Rescue, Nitrox Specialties
  • Logged Dives:300+

Posted 05 May 2006 - 10:01 AM

Maybe part of the question here is what to do when you find out that in spite of all your best efforts to plan your weight you still got it wrong?

On many boat dives I feel like everyone is rushing to get in and get started. There's no time to do a sophisticated bouancy and balance check. However, before descending I usually do a quick test by first emptying my BC and then putting a few shots of gas back in to compensate for a full tank. If I'm neutral to slightly negative I go. But if I'm very negative, I try to dump a few pounds back on the boat and try again before I descend. I attached a little 2lb trim weight pocket to the front of my BC for this purpose that I can empty very quickly.
BB

When you make fish laugh, they can't bite you.

#20 Diverbrian

Diverbrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI DiveCon/IANTD Normoxic Trimix.....
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 05 May 2006 - 10:11 AM

I will be in salt water for the first time in a long time

DB - you probably know this, but I'm commenting here for publicity purposes:

For Fresh to Salt water, a rule of thumb I like is take your total weight, including gear and add 1 pound for every 40. e.g. if you and your gear weigh 240#, add 6# of lead for salt water.

Not to change the thread - but where are you going? Do you need a tank sherpa? Remember, I am an orphan, and will work for beer.

I'm going to NC in July. I weigh roughly 180-190 lbs. My tanks and backplate weight 137 lbs (Yes, I am enough of a nerd to weigh them :) ) . My stage bottles weight about 30-40 lbs each.

I am sure that thumb rule is in my books somewhere, but I haven't had a good reason to refer to it in quite some time. Last time that I dove salt water, I was using ten pounds of lead in Florida with a full 3mm/2mm hooded vest, a ProQD+, and steel 120. I don't recall feeling overweighted and my trim in the videos looked decent, but I am certain that I was.

This will be in drysuit and full wreck diving gear, so we aren't exactly comparing apples to apples here. I don't use any weight in that gear in fresh water and sink like a proverbial rock.
A person should be judged in this life not by the mistakes that they make nor by the number of them. Rather they are to be judged by their recovery from them.

#21 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 05 May 2006 - 11:50 AM

You aren't the only nerd. My 85 lps, with 5lb SS back plate, wing, v-weight set-up (without deco bottles) weighs around 110lbs.
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#22 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 05 May 2006 - 11:52 AM

I'm headed to warm water in less than 4 weeks with a new 3mm suit and so I am thinking about the weighting I will want.

I'll travel with my backplate, wing and single tank converter. In our pool in this set-up when teaching I don't need any weight and am heavy, but that's because I have a steel hp 80 tank. When I head to the Bahamas it will be interesting with an AL 80 and in salt water to see if I need any weight.
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#23 cmt489

cmt489

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,346 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:75+

Posted 05 May 2006 - 01:43 PM

I know that I definitely had weighting issues with my drysuit. I am surprisingly bouyant for my size (must be all the butt fat) and require more weight than is originally thought to be needed by me. Once in my drysuit, it was awful. Luckily Nicolle is bringing a BP/W for me to try to see if this will help with my sorrows. I am tired of bruised hips from the weight belt - just not fun!

#24 BradfordNC

BradfordNC

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 815 posts
  • Cert Level:certifi-what?
  • Logged Dives:2 and 1/2

Posted 05 May 2006 - 07:10 PM

I don't wear any weight.

I hate people like you!! :o

i don't wear any weight either.

but lets see, my tanks w/valves weigh over 100 lbs (empty)

still hate it? or ya still wanna trade? lol
OK, lets make a deal. If you stop telling me how to dive, I'll stop going down to the bus station at 2am to slap d***s out of your mouth.

#25 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 05 May 2006 - 07:44 PM

Yea, people tend to foget that part. Until they see you dragging yourself to the water!

But I don't wear any weight in my recreational setup either. Took a while to get there. I started in the pool with 16 pounds. Eventually got it down to 6, then one day my hands were so cold before my second dive, I couldn't get my weightbelt fastened. So I decided to try the dive without weight. Never looked back.

#26 VADiver

VADiver

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 829 posts
  • Cert Level:GUE T2/C1
  • Logged Dives:400+

Posted 05 May 2006 - 08:23 PM

I figure I'll get a lot of practice out of NC this year so I hope to get the weighting with the dry suit squared away. I haven't weighed the full tanks yet, but roughly they are over 100 lbs empty (or so the spec sheet says).

And never mind dragging yourself to the water...it's the climbing the boat ladder in rough water that sucks!!

#27 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts
  • Cert Level:Course Director; CCR Instructor
  • Logged Dives:2000+

Posted 06 May 2006 - 12:03 PM

If you are a newer diver that thinks you are weighted correctly, the next time you dive, you might want to check again. You would be suprised at how much weight some people can remove once having more experience.
"The most important thing is not to stop questioning." Albert Einstein

"For the diligent diver, closed circuit rebreathers are actually safer than open circuit scuba." Tom Mount

#28 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 06 May 2006 - 01:54 PM

Amen to that. I took off ALL my weight!

#29 BubbleBoy

BubbleBoy

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 749 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW + Deep, Wreck, Drysuit, Navigation, Night, Rescue, Nitrox Specialties
  • Logged Dives:300+

Posted 07 May 2006 - 07:14 AM

It's interesting to see a number of experienced divers in this thread using little or no dumpable weight.

Does this mean that dumpable weight is an overrated safety device? (kind of like floating airplane seat cusions?)
BB

When you make fish laugh, they can't bite you.

#30 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 07 May 2006 - 07:35 AM

It's interesting to see a number of experienced divers in this thread using little or no dumpable weight.

Does this mean that dumpable weight is an overrated safety device? (kind of like floating airplane seat cusions?)

Not really. I means we know we have other means of flotation.

For those with aluminum tanks or deco bottles, we know that by purging these we can gain several pounds of lift. (essentially, when empty, most of our gear is positively buoyant) Or we carry SMB's or lift bags, and we know that by inflating those we have an extra 40-100 pounds of lift available to us.

For me, two primary things have been a HUGE revelation in diving.

1. The fact that I could dive safely with no weight, simply by carrying alternate means of lift. It's MUCH more fun to carry alternate lift, than added weight.

2. The fact that in technical diving NDL and SI's simply don't play into diving. While recreational divers are fighting NDL's and computer chirping, technical divers are calculting available gas, and weighing that against thermal comfort. There are HUGE responsibilities here, so I am not saying it's a panacea, but it is nice being able to toss away NDLs. One day, I'll get there. Hopefully one day soon! :cool1:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users