• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Jealousy... opposite sex Roommate

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#16 Drgnfiend

Drgnfiend

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 109 posts
  • Cert Level:Assistant Instructor
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 30 May 2006 - 01:23 PM

My current roommate is female, and my past two roommates were female, there was never any sexual tension between us because we were just friends and that's it. All three were single when we were first living together, and all three eventually had boyfriends while we were living together. Only one of the boyfriends ever had an issue with it. Unfortunately for me the roommate in question was "in love" and caved to the boyfriend's wishes so she moved out with no notice, sticking me with the full rent. I haven't been so lucky, a lot of the girls that I've taken out or have been introduced to didn't like the fact that I had female roommates, and liked it even less that the majority of my friends are female. I don't know what it is, over the years I've just gotten along better with women.

Maybe one of these days I'll find a woman who enjoys diving and doesn't mind a guy who has female friends, until then. . . guess I'll just continue to dive, hang with my friends, and be single.

#17 hydrophilicity

hydrophilicity

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 142 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, EAN, Rescue
  • Logged Dives:250+

Posted 31 May 2006 - 08:29 AM

I've had two male roomates (one at a time!) since I moved to DC. I never pictured myself living with a woman....Two fiercely independent women used to having their living space their own way would be disastrous! Both of my roommates here have spent a lot of time in the military and are thus pretty neat, which is a huge bonus! There has never been any jealousy issues with my boyfriends or their girlfriends. I mean, co-ed roommate situations are the norm, so nobody I know bats an eye at them anymore.

#18 BlckShadow

BlckShadow

Getting started

• Pip
  • 20 posts
  • Cert Level:Full Trimix, Cave
  • Logged Dives:265

Posted 31 May 2006 - 10:27 AM

When I was younger I always had female roommates. They are usually quieter, cleaner, and more responsible. And, I have even had the luck of having a few who cooked really well. :cheerleader:

Edited by BlckShadow, 31 May 2006 - 10:30 AM.

#19 dustbowl diver

dustbowl diver

"Charlie"

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,028 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW
  • Logged Dives:139

Posted 31 May 2006 - 10:38 AM

From your introductary post-first rule,

"Thou shalt not dip thy pen in company ink!!!"

Contact your employers HR department on this one-beyond that, ain't nobody's business but yours!!

Just my 2 psi denarcing take!!

:diver:
"Yesterday's gone, tomorrow never knows, today will never be the same again!"-Jibe

#20 bjknight64

bjknight64

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 103 posts
  • Cert Level:Advanced And Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:many

Posted 31 May 2006 - 03:24 PM

why date someone who wouldnt trust you from the start?!!!!
dont want to date anyone you work with anyways!!!! thats stupid!!

#21 Blondie

Blondie

Getting started

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 31 May 2006 - 06:36 PM

I wouldn't have a problem with dating someone that had an oppsite sex roommate. In the military alot of people are displaced, and it's alot easier to roommate with one or two others. I've had up to 3 roommates at a time both male and female. We worked together, lived together and partied together. Then we transferred to new stations, so now I have friends in alot of other states and a few countries. I don't have time for jealously.
Skye

#22 BeachBunny

BeachBunny

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts
  • Cert Level:Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:Not enough but I am working on it!

Posted 31 May 2006 - 09:46 PM

I got along much better with my male roommate than I did my female roommate. My boyfriend at the time had no issues with the male roomie situation and liked him alot better than the female I had before! One of my male coworkers apparently had a crush on me while I had the male roommate. We were chatting one day and when he learned I lived with a guy, even though it was purely plutonic he freaked out. Fast forward several months after I had left the company....he came over a few times to visit....just "happened" to be in the neighborhood. When he met Brad he really liked him and realized it was not such a big deal after all.

Would I be jealous? I might be uncomfortable if I was getting more exclusive with the guy and he never had me over to his place, never introduced me to the roommate, but the same would apply if he had a male roommate or lived alone. Introducing the girl in question to the roommate early on is the best way for them to figure out you are just friends!! I would certainly not turn a guy down for a date solely because he lived with a woman friend.

Babbling, sorry!!!
"In order to be irreplaceable one must always be different" CoCo Chanel

beachbunny@singledivers.com

"Be the change you wish to see in the world"
Ghandi

#23 Brinybay

Brinybay

• Inactive
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,605 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:580

Posted 31 May 2006 - 10:19 PM

... One of my male coworkers apparently had a crush on me while I had the male roommate. We were chatting one day and when he learned I lived with a guy, even though it was purely plutonic he freaked out.

Plu·ton·ic (-tnk)
adj.
Of or relating to the god Pluto or the underworld; infernal.
Pluto, God of the Underworld.

No wonder he freaked!
"The cure for anything is saltwater--sweat, tears, or the sea." - Isak Dinesen

"A good marriage is like an interlocking neurosis, where the rocks in one person's head fill up the holes in the other's."

#24 BeachBunny

BeachBunny

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts
  • Cert Level:Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:Not enough but I am working on it!

Posted 01 June 2006 - 06:38 AM

Huh. Now that you mention it, Brad was a little green and DID have these little funny stick looking things on his head. I really need to sleep more! Avoid the typos that way!!

... One of my male coworkers apparently had a crush on me while I had the male roommate. We were chatting one day and when he learned I lived with a guy, even though it was purely plutonic he freaked out.

Plu·ton·ic (-tnk)
adj.
Of or relating to the god Pluto or the underworld; infernal.
Pluto, God of the Underworld.

No wonder he freaked!

"In order to be irreplaceable one must always be different" CoCo Chanel

beachbunny@singledivers.com

"Be the change you wish to see in the world"
Ghandi

#25 JackBSwift

JackBSwift

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 92 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, EANx
  • Logged Dives:60

Posted 02 June 2006 - 02:29 PM

picky..picky...picky
"Love What You Do.....Do What You Love."

#26 intotheblue

intotheblue

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts
  • Cert Level:diving since high school; rec, tech, cave and wreck, as well as exploration and expedition diving
  • Logged Dives:Thousands... (really!)

Posted 02 June 2006 - 07:54 PM

I would be fine with rooming with a man, friendly or not, but only if he is not attracted to me in the least.

Well, 'got air'... that will never happen for you... :diver:

:wakawaka:
"The most important thing is to never stop breathing"... ITB

Actually, the WORST day of diving is better than the BEST day at work... :)

and... my life is not measured by the number of breaths I take, but by the number of breaths I take UNDER WATER :)

"I see you are no stranger to pain." -- "I was married... TWICE!!!" HOT SHOTS, PART DEUX

#27 Got_Air?Will_Dive

Got_Air?Will_Dive

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 04 June 2006 - 02:59 PM

I would be fine with rooming with a man, friendly or not, but only if he is not attracted to me in the least.

Well, 'got air'... that will never happen for you... :usflag:

:birthday:

WTSTM? [What's that supposed to mean?] :cool1: Please PM me to elaborate... I know you're all talk... :birthday:

FYI, I do not choose to have roommates, male/female, thank you very much. I'm an independent woman!

#28 Blackhawk

Blackhawk

• PipPipPipPip
  • 265 posts

Posted 04 June 2006 - 03:51 PM

FYI, I do not choose to have roommates, male/female, thank you very much. I'm an independent woman!

Independent? Curious use of the word... What does being independent have to do with having a roomate male or female? I can easily get my own place... independence has nothing to do with it. It's purely finacial... LOW LOW rent and no utils... or average rent plus utils? hmmm hard choice :birthday:...
I put my right foot in, I put my left foot out, I do the aikipokey and throw you all about :D

#29 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 04 June 2006 - 10:46 PM

Well, 'got air'... that will never happen for you... :)

:cool1:

WTSTM? [What's that supposed to mean?] :tears: Please PM me to elaborate... I know you're all talk... :flirt:

Got Air, I think it was pretty clear that IntotheBlue meant that you were an attractive lady (I submit avatar photo as evidence #1) and that it would seem unlikely that a man (and possibly a woman? I may be stretching there on IntotheBlue's intent) who roomed with you would not be attracted to you. Of course I assume the comment was based strictly on the photo without first hand knowledge of who you are as a person.

As for being an independent woman, I think one can be quite independent whether one has roommates or not. I've always been considering very independent, yet rent a room in my house to my old friend Iris (who I am not interested in other than as a person). We do our separate things all the time.

#30 Got_Air?Will_Dive

Got_Air?Will_Dive

• PipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 07:09 AM

Well, 'got air'... that will never happen for you... :birthday:

:birthday:

WTSTM? [What's that supposed to mean?] :o Please PM me to elaborate... I know you're all talk... :birthday:

Got Air, I think it was pretty clear that IntotheBlue meant that you were an attractive lady (I submit avatar photo as evidence #1) and that it would seem unlikely that a man (and possibly a woman? I may be stretching there on IntotheBlue's intent) who roomed with you would not be attracted to you. Of course I assume the comment was based strictly on the photo without first hand knowledge of who you are as a person.

As for being an independent woman, I think one can be quite independent whether one has roommates or not. I've always been considering very independent, yet rent a room in my house to my old friend Iris (who I am not interested in other than as a person). We do our separate things all the time.

Alas, I think I've opened up another can of worms with my response. :birthday: I guess I meant to say that I like to do things on my own, including living on my own. So to deal away with semantics, I've included the definition of independent in the context in which I meant, courtesy of Merriam-Webster: Main Entry: 1in·de·pen·dent Pronunciation: "in-d&-'pen-d&nt Function: adjective 1 : d : showing a desire for freedom <an independent manner>. Including freedom from roommates. Ergo, this has nothing to do with whether I would prefer a male or female roommate. Given my choice, I pay a higher rent for my freedom. :birthday:

DrBill and ITB, :cool1: beaucoup for the nice compliments. :birthday:

BlackHawk, I hope you've resolved the situation with the co-worker. There are a lot of :birthday: in the sea!

Best,

Jemiah

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users