• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

Jealousy... opposite sex Roommate

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#31 drbill

drbill

I spend too much time on line

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 05 June 2006 - 07:24 AM

Got air... You're welcome!

Understand your desire for that kind of independence. I have been single all my life and enjoy the freedom it offers, but of course I also enjoy a good relationship as well. However, I won't settle for a relationship just to be in one. It has to be one that makes sense. And that kind hasn't appeared for a few years. Until then, life as a single is good... even if it might be better otherwise.

Same with roommates. I generally prefer to live alone. However, when I lost my job I "needed" the extra income to pay the mortgage. Fortunately there was someone I knew and trusted, and who would be a compatible roommate, so she fit the need. I would prefer to have my spare bedroom back if the mortgage weren't an issue- it was my original office.

Nothing wrong with preferring to maintain your freedom. We all have different needs and preferences. Until I make my first million (other than by selling my home!) or establish a permanent relationship, a roommate is an acceptable solution in my case. I'm pretty flexible and adaptable in most cases, However, it isn't for everyone.

Edited by drbill, 05 June 2006 - 07:27 AM.

#32 Got_Air?Will_Dive

Got_Air?Will_Dive

People are starting to get to know me

• PipPipPipPip
  • 261 posts

Posted 05 June 2006 - 07:46 AM

Got air... You're welcome!

Understand your desire for that kind of independence. I have been single all my life and enjoy the freedom it offers, but of course I also enjoy a good relationship as well. However, I won't settle for a relationship just to be in one. It has to be one that makes sense. And that kind hasn't appeared for a few years. Until then, life as a single is good... even if it might be better otherwise.

Same with roommates. I generally prefer to live alone. However, when I lost my job I "needed" the extra income to pay the mortgage. Fortunately there was someone I knew and trusted, and who would be a compatible roommate, so she fit the need. I would prefer to have my spare bedroom back if the mortgage weren't an issue- it was my original office.

Nothing wrong with preferring to maintain your freedom. We all have different needs and preferences. Until I make my first million (other than by selling my home!) or establish a permanent relationship, a roommate is an acceptable solution in my case. I'm pretty flexible and adaptable in most cases, However, it isn't for everyone.

Our preferences don't always allow us to preface our needs. Certainly, mortgage and rent are necessities, then so are roommates. I'm glad that you were able to get a roommate whom you were comfortable with and trusted to live in your space and that you can still maintain the same freedom--sans your office.

Also, thank you kindly for responding with what you perceived ITB's intent was in the post. Submitting evidence of that also helped further his cause. :birthday: I still would like to know from the man himself, but I can't PM him! :cool1: In any event, I do prefer men, and that is one preference that is not flexible!

Edited by got_air?will_dive, 05 June 2006 - 08:09 AM.

#33 drbill

drbill

• SD Partners
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,486 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue
  • Logged Dives:who's counting, definitely four digits

Posted 05 June 2006 - 10:31 AM

In any event, I do prefer men, and that is one preference that is not flexible!

Sigh... I guess we would never get along because I don't share your preference!

Just teasing ya.

Edited by drbill, 05 June 2006 - 10:32 AM.

#34 cmt489

cmt489

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,346 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, Nitrox
  • Logged Dives:75+

Posted 05 June 2006 - 11:02 AM

I too am extremely independent but, following my divorce and a couple of years of trying to make ends meet while maintaining the lifestyle that I prefer, I found that a roommate was the answer. The place is mine so I get to call the shots of who stays and who goes since the Residential Tenancy Act here in BC specifically does not apply to roommate situations. The roommate I found is an MBA student who is a wonderful roommate. He is clean, quiet and considerate, plus we get along. I will miss him when he is done school in December.

Has having a roommate made me any less independent? Not a chance! In fact I think in some ways it has made me more independent since I am not wondering what I can and can't do due to finances!

#35 intotheblue

intotheblue

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts
  • Cert Level:diving since high school; rec, tech, cave and wreck, as well as exploration and expedition diving
  • Logged Dives:Thousands... (really!)

Posted 05 June 2006 - 11:32 AM

I would be fine with rooming with a man, friendly or not, but only if he is not attracted to me in the least.

Well, 'got air'... that will never happen for you... :birthday:

:birthday:

WTSTM? [What's that supposed to mean?] :birthday: Please PM me to elaborate... I know you're all talk... :cool1:

FYI, I do not choose to have roommates, male/female, thank you very much. I'm an independent woman!

Well, I sincerely meant only good things... that you are blessed with great beauty and possess a pretty smile and have a dash of sunshine in your eyes... and that any decent guy would have an extremely difficult time "not wanting" to date you... whether a roomie or not. :birthday: Why, if I were about a hunnert years younger and in your neck of the woods... I'd give em all a run for their money... :birthday:

Sorry, I was working on the boat all day yesterday and didn't get to check online at all to reply...
"The most important thing is to never stop breathing"... ITB

Actually, the WORST day of diving is better than the BEST day at work... :)

and... my life is not measured by the number of breaths I take, but by the number of breaths I take UNDER WATER :)

"I see you are no stranger to pain." -- "I was married... TWICE!!!" HOT SHOTS, PART DEUX

#36 intotheblue

intotheblue

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 619 posts
  • Cert Level:diving since high school; rec, tech, cave and wreck, as well as exploration and expedition diving
  • Logged Dives:Thousands... (really!)

Posted 05 June 2006 - 11:41 AM

I would be fine with rooming with a man, friendly or not, but only if he is not attracted to me in the least.

Well, 'got air'... that will never happen for you... :birthday:

:birthday:

WTSTM? [What's that supposed to mean?] :birthday: Please PM me to elaborate... I know you're all talk... :cool1:

FYI, I do not choose to have roommates, male/female, thank you very much. I'm an independent woman!

Got Air, I think it was pretty clear that IntotheBlue meant that you were an attractive lady (I submit avatar photo as evidence #1) and that it would seem unlikely that a man (and possibly a woman? I may be stretching there on IntotheBlue's intent) who roomed with you would not be attracted to you. Of course I assume the comment was based strictly on the photo without first hand knowledge of who you are as a person.

As for being an independent woman, I think one can be quite independent whether one has roommates or not. I've always been considering very independent, yet rent a room in my house to my old friend Iris (who I am not interested in other than as a person). We do our separate things all the time.

Thanks Dr. B... for pretty closely interpreting my message in my absense... I really didn't think anything about another gal's interest... but sadly (from my "selfish" point of view) that could happen too. :birthday:

ITB... :birthday:
"The most important thing is to never stop breathing"... ITB

Actually, the WORST day of diving is better than the BEST day at work... :)

and... my life is not measured by the number of breaths I take, but by the number of breaths I take UNDER WATER :)

"I see you are no stranger to pain." -- "I was married... TWICE!!!" HOT SHOTS, PART DEUX

#37 Jellyfishluv

Jellyfishluv

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • Board Status:Always on the go
  • Cert Level:Advanced
  • Logged Dives:300+ logged

Posted 23 July 2006 - 12:41 AM

Ok I have a new hot co-worker (Highered on this week). We've been flirting back and forth and today got on the topic of jealousy (which I absoulety dispise). Anyway during this discussion the fact that my roommate is female came up. We're Just friend meaning it's purely 'professional' I pay my rent at the end of every month and sleep in her spare bedroom. She is a GREAT friend of mine. We hang out and now have the same inner circle of friends. And neither of us have any encilnation to sleep together.

Once this came out the co-worker got shotty. Said she'd never date a guy with a female roommate because she'd be to jealous. After all, "*They* say men and women can not be just friends". Although she couldn't be more specific on who *they* are :lmao:

Would you be jealous if the person you dated lived with the opposite sex?
and the ulitmate question Can a male and female be Just friends?

When I lived in London last summer, I found this really great 4 bedroom, 3 floor flat-house that had access to a leisure centre with an indoor pool, jacuzzi, gym etc. but 3 of the rooms were occupied by guys! I moved in anyways.

The girlfriends weren't too rude about it, glad I was overweight, but how they *changed* as I started to lose weight, i.e. act a bit jealous and thus felt the need to really put me down for moving into a house full of guys, like I'm a hussy or something.

It was relatively cheap (for London), and there was a pool, jacuzzi, & gym! So I shared a bathroom with a Handsome Irsish Architect :)

oh, that doesn't help my arguement does it?????? :hiya:
:fish2: Keep on swimming, swimming, swimming...

#38 novicediver

novicediver

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 78 posts
  • Logged Dives:19

Posted 23 July 2006 - 07:12 AM

OK, here is the deal and anyone, man or woman, denies it, they are either lying to themselves or to us. Men, you all know if you have seen a woman naked, you want to see them all naked. And men, you know if you had sex with one of them, you are addicted and want to have sex with all of them.
Now, ok, I admit there are those that we find just plain ole ugly and unattractive and we cannot even get ourselves to think of being with them horizontally but even with those, there comes that day when we have had too much grapejuice or find ourselves in that weird state of mind and presto, we do something regrettable.
Sure men and women can be roommates and it is possible, albeit not probable, they may never be inclinded to do the deed but that is unrealistic. Yea, I know men and women are roommates lots of times but still, it aint natural and it is more than likely it wont be long lasting.
However, after you do the roommate, then it is possible to become only platonic friends. You realize your relationship isnt romantic and a friendship can develop because then and only then can you both permanently find the state of mind where you only communicate via the mind, not body expressions, drool control and desire for the unknown. SO do the roommate, explain it to the potential girlfriend that you have no interest because you sampled the goods and the jealousy will end because surely she will understand that, right?
A girlfriend/boyfriend being jealous because of opposite sex roommates? Jealousy aint pretty and isnt a good quality. If someone you have not even dated yet is already expressing hints of jealousy then you need to steer clear because the future is going to hold a lot of heartache. (Unless she is really fine, I mean bite your lip fine, then ok, go out with her, have sex beyond exhaustion then dump her pronto)
Ya know, it is probably a very good policy to exclude dating someone who has an opposite sex roommate. I wouldnt adopt that policy, I am not excluding anyone, I prefer chancing the heartache, makes life more of a challenge, IYKWIM.

#39 Geek

Geek

• PipPipPipPip
  • 387 posts
  • Cert Level:Rescue, Adv. Nitrox/Deco Procedures
  • Logged Dives:130+

Posted 23 July 2006 - 08:34 AM

For those contending with the reactions of others, I think you might have better luck if you described the situation differently. Having a "roommate" used to imply literally sleeping in the same room, and leaves the nature of the relationship a bit vague to the listener, but implies the relationship is close. If you "Rent a room from someone" or "Rent out a room" in your home, it is clear the sleeping arrangements are separate bedrooms, and the nature of the relationship is implied to be more financial than personal.

Clearly when you are living with someone there is both a personal and a financial aspect to the relationship, but how you communicate makes a big difference in how people perceive the relationship.

Edited by Geek, 23 July 2006 - 08:36 AM.

#40 Jellyfishluv

Jellyfishluv

• Premier Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts
  • Board Status:Always on the go
  • Cert Level:Advanced
  • Logged Dives:300+ logged

Posted 23 July 2006 - 09:20 PM

However, after you do the roommate, then it is possible to become only platonic friends. You realize your relationship isnt romantic and a friendship can develop because then and only then can you both permanently find the state of mind where you only communicate via the mind, not body expressions, drool control and desire for the unknown. SO do the roommate, explain it to the potential girlfriend that you have no interest because you sampled the goods and the jealousy will end because surely she will understand that, right?

That's silly. The fact is that in relationships there are so many variables that it is impossible to rule out jealousy. Some people are less jealous than others, but none are jealous free- emotionless

Anyhow, all three girlfriends where flat chested (need I say more?) and it was there OWN insecurity and their boyfriends gocking at dirty mags of Blondes with big tits that caused them to feel alarm.

If tits determine whether the guy is going to stay faithful or not, best move on to a guy that is not so fixated on them - like a chic that might be so fixated on the male members size- with people like that, there is no hope!

He surely can't say "I've sampled the big titties sweetie, and your flat perks do just fine" Well he could but there is no women on gods green earth that will believe that if she KNOWS what he likes!

And I'm not saying all men like large breasts, or tall woman or short and petite- different strokes for different folks

And the guy, if he would have cheated, if he had the op, would have blamed me- and the stupid girlfriend, well she would have believed it, but I personally don't fool around with guys that have girlfriends even if I don't (or do) like her. No matter HOW SEXY I THINK HE IS.

So can the opposite sexes be just housemates/friends - definately!!! Can jealousy be eliminated- NEVER!!! :thankyou:

Edited by Jellyfishluv, 23 July 2006 - 09:20 PM.

:fish2: Keep on swimming, swimming, swimming...

#41 Twinklez

Twinklez

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,350 posts
  • Cert Level:Instructor
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 23 July 2006 - 10:37 PM

OK, here is the deal and anyone, man or woman, denies it, they are either lying to themselves or to us. Men, you all know if you have seen a woman naked, you want to see them all naked. And men, you know if you had sex with one of them, you are addicted and want to have sex with all of them.

Each of us is different; and because you think and do the things you do does not mean that the rest of us do. I do not wish to see all men naked; in fact, there are few I think of in that way. Simply because I have had sex in my lifetime does not mean I wish to have sex with every man I meet. Ok...so I'm a woman. Maybe you think we're wired so different...we are - you and I; but that does not mean that all men think the way you do or that all women think the way I do.

Now, ok, I admit there are those that we find just plain ole ugly and unattractive and we cannot even get ourselves to think of being with them horizontally but even with those, there comes that day when we have had too much grapejuice or find ourselves in that weird state of mind and presto, we do something regrettable.

In your previous paragraph you referred to addiction....

Sure men and women can be roommates and it is possible, albeit not probable, they may never be inclinded to do the deed but that is unrealistic. Yea, I know men and women are roommates lots of times but still, it aint natural and it is more than likely it wont be long lasting.

You're saying it's not natural for men and women to be friends, to care about each other in a way that reaches far beyond sex, to be able to look past it to see the people inside the bodies? You think that if there is such a relationship that it wouldn't last? I say this...I would roommate (as in share a home and separate bedrooms) with a man a lot quicker than I would another woman. Not because of sex, but because of a lack of competition, because he wouldn't want to borrow my favorite blouse, because we could exchange chores, because he could tell me where it is I'm screwing up that I didn't get a second date, because just maybe growing up with three brothers I just find it easier to get along with men. My longest lasting friendships...men! Men that I have slept in the same bed with and never considered anything other than simply keeping warm, men that I have camped out with, men that never had any other interest in me aside from being a friend.

"Do" the roommate? What if the roommate "does" you? Have you ever thought it might be more considerate of the other person's feelings to determine whether or not there is a tiny possibility of something in the future before you dip your wick? And seriously, do you really think that most women would accept the lame story that you've already sampled and that makes everything ok?

A girlfriend/boyfriend being jealous because of opposite sex roommates? Jealousy aint pretty and isnt a good quality. If someone you have not even dated yet is already expressing hints of jealousy then you need to steer clear because the future is going to hold a lot of heartache. (Unless she is really fine, I mean bite your lip fine, then ok, go out with her, have sex beyond exhaustion then dump her pronto)

That's right...dip it while you can! My goodness! If she's not right for you do you truly have to have that sample before you discard her like a dirty shirt? So you'd smile in her face, get in her pants and then be on your way?

A very old friend of mine once told me "Men are good for what they're good for." She had been raped, beaten, cheated on and lied to by men. She hates them, but surrounds herself with them solely for the purpose of sucking anything she can from them - much like you're advising other men to do to women. She's an old friend, but not one I enjoy spending my time with anymore - I don't ever want to be like that.

While my opinion is only mine, in my opinion what you're advising is a whole lot worse than jealousy because your act is deliberate and jealousy is a character flaw that many people strive to overcome.

Ya know, it is probably a very good policy to exclude dating someone who has an opposite sex roommate. I wouldnt adopt that policy, I am not excluding anyone, I prefer chancing the heartache, makes life more of a challenge, IYKWIM.

"Chancing a heartache" and "more of a challenge" don't even belong in the same sentence. While it might be flattering to think that someone considers me to be one of his life's challenges, it's also very insulting that someone would be interested in me for the challenge. Really...who would be chancing the heartache in that scenario?

#42 AliKat

AliKat

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,232 posts

Posted 23 July 2006 - 11:14 PM

Twinklez,

I'm glad you posted before I did, because my answer would not have been nearly so tactful - so since you put it so well, I'll just say "ditto"!
"

#43 novicediver

novicediver

On a roll now.....

• PipPip
  • 78 posts
  • Logged Dives:19

Posted 24 July 2006 - 05:36 AM

Twinklez,

I'm glad you posted before I did, because my answer would not have been nearly so tactful - so since you put it so well, I'll just say "ditto"!

geez, lighten up people. Get a sense of humor. Save up, surely you will be able to afford one sooner or later. Much of that was tongue in cheek; however, much of it was dead on. If you cant figure out which is which, too bad for you.

#44 piscesgirl

piscesgirl

Meeting folks

• PipPipPip
  • 106 posts
  • Cert Level:Dive Supervisor
  • Logged Dives:Stopped logging years ago, but at least 100

Posted 24 July 2006 - 11:53 AM

Twinklez,

I'll second AND third that answer, Alikat.
OH WHATEVER!!

#45 ASDmike

ASDmike

• PipPipPipPip
  • 418 posts
  • Cert Level:AOW, EAN
  • Logged Dives:700ish

Posted 24 July 2006 - 11:54 AM

deleted

I'm with these well spoken and lovely SD gals (but choose to wiggle me toes back a bit). :unsure:

Edited by ASDmike, 25 July 2006 - 05:39 AM.

'06 - Fireworks on History, Singles Fantasy
'07 - Ancient Egypt/Red Sea Liveaboard
'08 - Bonaire Singles Week ...In STYLE!!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users