• These forums are for "after booking" trip communications, socializing, and/or trip questions ONLY.
  • You will NOT be able to book a trip, buy add-ons, or manage your trip by logging in here. Please login HERE to do any of those things.

Photo

The bleeping light cannister cord!

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic
  • Logged Dives:too many logged, too many not logged...:)

Posted 16 May 2006 - 09:06 AM

I have been predominantly diving doubles since last November, so I only have only dove my single about 8 times since then. In my doubles, I am able to slide my light cannister back on the harness (right side) so that the cord is pulled nice and streamlined along my chest cross body over to my left arm. I loop the cord under my left elbow and then secure the light to the back of my hand - it works great.

In a singles, however, my DR Traspac II harness doesn't allow me to secure the light as far back as in my doubles - it has a steel connector blocking it. So what I am finding is happening is the cord goes slack and drops off my elbow, thus hanging down. This is clearly an entanglement hazzard.

I'd like to keep using the Transpac. Any suggestions on configuring my light differently?
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#2 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

I spend too much time on line

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 09:18 AM

Two possible solutions.

1. If you use your right hand as light hand, wrap the cord loosely around your arm once or twice to take up the slack.

2. If you use your left hand turn the light upside down to take up some slack, and route the cord under your long hose to hold it close to your body.

#3 Latitude Adjustment

Latitude Adjustment

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts
  • Cert Level:EanX
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 16 May 2006 - 09:23 AM

I'm doing what Perrone suggest, the cord twist around my arm from the shoulder down to my wrist with a few Velcro wraps to keep everything in place.
I, Latitude Adjustment (insert log in name), do hereby swear, (politely), that I shall not hold SingleDivers, (SD), nor any SD poster, (real or imagined), liable, nor shall I seek legal restitution, (real or imagined), for any perceived, (real or imagined), offenses I may incur, (or Incurrrrrrrrrr on talk like a pirate day), that may or may not be posted on this or any SCUBA related board, (real or imagined), by anyone, (real or imagined), anywhere, (real or imagined). Further, I void any right to privacy, (real or imagined), as it may, or may not relate to any posting, (real or imagined), about me, to me, for me, because of me, all about me, my dog, my cat, my bird, my monkey, my family, (real or imagined), my friends, (real or imagined), or my world, (real or imagined).

By all that is wet, I do hereby swear, (politely), and attest, upon pain of never diving again, (real or imagined), that I understand and affirm, that I agree to the above.

_________________________________________(log in name signature)
Signed and Dated

#4 ScubaHawk

ScubaHawk

Midwest HH Planner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,265 posts
  • Cert Level:Dive Master
  • Logged Dives:1000+

Posted 16 May 2006 - 09:37 AM

Get longer arms ? :D
Take an SD trip - See old friends you have never met before!
Every existing thing is born without reason, prolongs itself out of weakness, and dies by chance. - Jean-Paul Sartre
I feel the urge, the urge to submerge! -ScubaHawk - Raptor of the Deep !
WHO DAT!!!!

#5 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts
  • Cert Level:PADI Course Director, EFR Instructor Trainer, DAN DEMP Instructor, rec-Trimix & Normoxic

Posted 16 May 2006 - 10:30 AM

1. If you use your right hand as light hand, wrap the cord loosely around your arm once or twice to take up the slack.

My cannister is on my right side, and I bring it cross body to my left arm. I can try it on the right arm though wrapped better!

2. If you use your left hand turn the light upside down to take up some slack, and route the cord under your long hose to hold it close to your body.

I've thought about turning it upside down, but I think it might still slip off my arm. I don't use a long hose on my singles set-up. I don't dive any kind of environments in a single that would require 7' of hose for a diver to be behind me. My Poseidon second is long enough and the reg places wondefully to have a diver in front or beside me comfortably.

I'll try wrapping the hose on my right arm this next weekend and report how it goes!
It's Winter time - you know you're a diver when you're scraping ice off your windshield INSIDE your vehicle...!

Once in a while, it is good to step back, take a breath, and remember to be humble. You'll never know it all - ScubaDadMiami. If you aren't afraid of dying, there is nothing you can't achieve - Lao-tzu. One dog barks at something, the rest bark at him - Chinese Proverb.

#6 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 10:31 AM

Get longer arms ? :D

OK Hawk! I'll just go hang from the swingset like Bobby Brady and report back in how that went! :)

#7 Diverbrian

Diverbrian

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,620 posts
  • Cert Level:SSI DiveCon/IANTD Normoxic Trimix.....
  • Logged Dives:200+

Posted 16 May 2006 - 10:53 AM

I keep my light head on my right hand. I do as Perrone suggests and take up the slack by giving it a turn or two on my right arm. It seems to work great for me.
A person should be judged in this life not by the mistakes that they make nor by the number of them. Rather they are to be judged by their recovery from them.

#8 ScubaDadMiami

ScubaDadMiami

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,022 posts
  • Cert Level:Course Director; CCR Instructor
  • Logged Dives:2000+

Posted 16 May 2006 - 10:59 AM

I also wrap some cords. However, please make sure that when doing so, you can quickly and easily get out of this.

Two CCR divers just died when one had a cord wrapped around his arm in such a manner that he could not get to the surface when he ran out of gas, had a flooded loop, became very negative, and had no gas to inflate his wing. Granted, there were other things that snowballed here. However, the point is to make sure that you don't wrap yourself in such a way as to not be able to get out of your rig quickly in an emergency.
"The most important thing is not to stop questioning." Albert Einstein

"For the diligent diver, closed circuit rebreathers are actually safer than open circuit scuba." Tom Mount

#9 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 11:10 AM

Which is EXACTLY why I said wrap loosely. I generally use 2 turns. If I drop the light head out of my hand, the cord slips off on it's own.

I MUCH prefer doing this left handed and not having anything wrapped around me. But then I dive a 7ft all the time. Keeps the hose tucked away VERY nicely. I used to do a 5ft hose on my singles setup which would probably be ideal for this scenario. But I understand some Posieden's need special hoses because of the i.p. so that might be expensive.

One other thing that might work. When I dive a 7ft hose without a light canister, I tuck the excess hose into my waistband. I wonder if you could do the same with the light cord and use it right handed. This way, in a ditch sitation, there would be no entanglement.

Lots of ways to solve this problem.

#10 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 12:41 PM

I tuck my light cord into my harness for the most part, but it tends to work it's way out thanks to the weight belt I wear when I have a single on. The issue is moot when I dive doubles with no weight belt. I dive in cold water with a drysuit with fluffy extreme undergarments, so not wearing some weight with a single is not an option.

I don't dive a 7' hose with singles, not due to the $$ but it's just not necessary. Again, I don't dive any kind of environments in a single that would require 7' of hose for a diver to be behind me. My Poseidon second is long enough and the reg places wondefully to have a diver in front or beside me comfortably.

I like to be a minimalist as well as asking for the "why" behind some gear choices. I also tweak my singles set-up for teaching situations.

For example, I have a retractable compass instead of one on my arm because that arm may end up busy with a student on it, then I couldn't navigate where I was a going. A retractable compass allows me to use it with either hand. I'm right handed and usually keep students on my right which is why I have hesitated wrapping my light on my right arm, but I am willing to try.

So what may seem like a simple solution or allow for many ways to solve a problem, may not actually be. But, I am open to trying new methods at least once! :teeth:

#11 Latitude Adjustment

Latitude Adjustment

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,658 posts
  • Cert Level:EanX
  • Logged Dives:600+

Posted 16 May 2006 - 01:08 PM

You need to be careful "tucking" and bending the light cord as they do crack and salt water in the insulation is not a good thing. I had to replace one last year when moisture got into the cord and then into the light head. :teeth:
I, Latitude Adjustment (insert log in name), do hereby swear, (politely), that I shall not hold SingleDivers, (SD), nor any SD poster, (real or imagined), liable, nor shall I seek legal restitution, (real or imagined), for any perceived, (real or imagined), offenses I may incur, (or Incurrrrrrrrrr on talk like a pirate day), that may or may not be posted on this or any SCUBA related board, (real or imagined), by anyone, (real or imagined), anywhere, (real or imagined). Further, I void any right to privacy, (real or imagined), as it may, or may not relate to any posting, (real or imagined), about me, to me, for me, because of me, all about me, my dog, my cat, my bird, my monkey, my family, (real or imagined), my friends, (real or imagined), or my world, (real or imagined).

By all that is wet, I do hereby swear, (politely), and attest, upon pain of never diving again, (real or imagined), that I understand and affirm, that I agree to the above.

_________________________________________(log in name signature)
Signed and Dated

#12 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 01:09 PM

I try to tuck mine in a looping wide U, not in a kink - is that still an issue?

#13 6Gill

6Gill

Everyone knows me

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 725 posts
  • Logged Dives:100+

Posted 16 May 2006 - 01:15 PM

Depending on how much slack there is try looping the cord over the top of your thumb then underneath to the back of the lighthead.
I'm not a big fan of the wrapping,I've seen loose wrap tighten.
For people that only dive one set up and have a cord thats to long they are easy to shorten and reattach

#14 Dive_Girl

Dive_Girl

I need to get a life

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,513 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 01:18 PM

My concern is having a diver latch onto and pull the cord wrapped onto my right arm. I've had divers latch onto my reg hose before. It's not the best feeling and they never enjoy the "look" they get from me when they do. UM...that's my AIR!

#15 PerroneFord

PerroneFord

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 16 May 2006 - 01:26 PM

I've had divers latch onto my reg hose before. It's not the best feeling and they never enjoy the "look" they get from me when they do. UM...that's my AIR!

Sounds like a good reason for a longer hose! :teeth: Out of curiosity, when you are on your single rig, where do you store the octo?

BTW, what's with the new avatar? I am seeing you in a WHOLE NEW WAY! LOL!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users